You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Starcraft II diamond league and CV
Started by GladifImakeit
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yes, it involves more skill than just running for a couple hoursThis weekend I finally made it into Starcraft II diamond league (currently 25th in my division). Would this be appropriate to include on a CV/resume along the same lines as running a marathon?
This weekend I finally made it into Starcraft II diamond league (currently 25th in my division). Would this be appropriate to include on a CV/resume along the same lines as running a marathon?
You should direct their attention to your "gosu" 200+ APM and write about how roxor awesome a surgeon you'd be.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
N
njbmd
This weekend I finally made it into Starcraft II diamond league (currently 25th in my division). Would this be appropriate to include on a CV/resume along the same lines as running a marathon?
If this is a residency application, leave this out. Program directors are interested in your achievements (academic & research) that are related to medicine/medical school. Applying for residency, especially if you have not particularly distinguished yourself in your coursework/USMLE should not lead you to focus on things that have nothing to do with medical school. Residency faculty want to know if you have the skills/academic ability to get through residency and pass in-training exams and specialty boards. Your "game hobbies" are not going to enhance your application; read "flake" on this one.
Nothing like somebody ruining a perfectly ridiculous thread with an answer to the OP's question.
I just made Rank 50 on Bad Company II. And I would never mention that in public haha only on anonymous forum boards.
btw...Apaches are fu'kin skanks.
I was playing conquest last night on a desert level (its the one with the boat in the middle of it), and we got absolutely stomped. The opposing team flew in with their chopper and stole ours, and circled the deployment with both of the helicopters. So you would take like three steps after spawning and get blown up.
Not cool.
I would only include it if the program director is Korean. Might want to scope this one out beforehand.
If this is a residency application, leave this out. Program directors are interested in your achievements (academic & research) that are related to medicine/medical school. Applying for residency, especially if you have not particularly distinguished yourself in your coursework/USMLE should not lead you to focus on things that have nothing to do with medical school. Residency faculty want to know if you have the skills/academic ability to get through residency and pass in-training exams and specialty boards. Your "game hobbies" are not going to enhance your application; read "flake" on this one.
Way to kill the joke.
I was playing conquest last night on a desert level (its the one with the boat in the middle of it), and we got absolutely stomped. The opposing team flew in with their chopper and stole ours, and circled the deployment with both of the helicopters. So you would take like three steps after spawning and get blown up.
Not cool.
LOL yeah that is Atacama Desert and 1 Apache and 1 Russian chopper. That tends to happen when you get "zips in the wire." (Platoon Reference)
I play RUSH. I feel Rush has a center of gravity where people tend to mass and fight. In Conquest, I feel like a rat running around randomly to find people to destroy.
This weekend I finally made it into Starcraft II diamond league (currently 25th in my division). Would this be appropriate to include on a CV/resume along the same lines as running a marathon?
It's definitely worth casually mentioning during some interview. Don't seem too full of yourself, though. Nobody likes a sore winner.
If this is a residency application, leave this out. Program directors are interested in your achievements (academic & research) that are related to medicine/medical school. Applying for residency, especially if you have not particularly distinguished yourself in your coursework/USMLE should not lead you to focus on things that have nothing to do with medical school. Residency faculty want to know if you have the skills/academic ability to get through residency and pass in-training exams and specialty boards. Your "game hobbies" are not going to enhance your application; read "flake" on this one.
I find it strange how certain achievements are seen as virtuous, like sports or chess, and others, though requiring considerable skill, are not, such as video gaming.
I'd be more impressed with an applicant who was the Street Fighter IV world champion than I would be with an olypmic gold medalist.
^ you're kidding me right?
Either you know absolutely nothing about computer software and what its limitations are (which leads to "luck" in about any computer game"). Or you yourself never played sports to any degree of competitiveness. If you have not delved into either, your statement means nothing.
Either you know absolutely nothing about computer software and what its limitations are (which leads to "luck" in about any computer game"). Or you yourself never played sports to any degree of competitiveness. If you have not delved into either, your statement means nothing.
^ you're kidding me right?
Either you know absolutely nothing about computer software and what its limitations are (which leads to "luck" in about any computer game"). Or you yourself never played sports to any degree of competitiveness. If you have not delved into either, your statement means nothing.
Clearly you are talking out of your ass. Measuring the winner of a sprint based on differences in time of less than one second is as much based on luck as any computer game.
I've delved into both. Clearly you've only delved into one(or wish you had been good enough to delve to any personal glory)
Though I do believe athletic competition is kind of stupid and a waste of time, non-athletic competition is also kind of stupid. Being both equally stupid, neither should be more impressive than the other. My appreciation for video game skill over physical skill is a personal opinion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interesting. typically successful athletes are lucky (ahem BLESSED) with certain traits eg. height, muscle type composition, superb reflexes, etc.
Personally, it is only a matter of time before Video Games becomes an Olympic Sport. Just another gold for the USA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glf-wZ6TLmk
haha, Europe sucks.
Personally, it is only a matter of time before Video Games becomes an Olympic Sport. Just another gold for the USA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glf-wZ6TLmk
haha, Europe sucks.
this thread is hilarious! 😀
I would only include it if the program director is Korean. Might want to scope this one out beforehand.
In fact, OP, you should just move to Korea. Starcraft groupies will be lined up around the block to see your Yamoto cannon in action.
see your Yamoto cannon in action.
So that's what it's being called these days. 😀
In other words, if you frequently use medics, go for it.Program directors are interested in your achievements (academic & research) that are related to medicine/medical school.
In other words, if you frequently use medics, go for it.

Way to kill the joke.
Joke? What joke???
Daigo would be unflappable in the OR. JWong on the other hand...I'd be more impressed with an applicant who was the Street Fighter IV world champion than I would be with an olypmic gold medalist.
Daigo would be unflappable in the OR. JWong on the other hand...
Nah JWong would be fine. If he starts turtling in the OR, just get him going with a "LET'S GO JUSTIIIIIN!"
Just drop out of school and turn pro.
Made it to 1000pt diamond just using carriers.
Just drop out of school and turn pro.
A friend of mine has been making $500,000 plus per year playing poker professionally. And he has alot less stress than me, that is for sure.
Yeah dude, that's what I should've done. Numbers and basic psychology: easy. Paying tons of money to get your ass handed to you for a good chunk of your life: not so easy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not only diamond, FIRST PLACE diamond!
My CV is gonna say: E-Sports: 1st place diamond league (top division) Starcraft II
Yes, I finally managed to accomplish something!
Sometimes when I play starcraft, as I run my enemies over with my glorious carriers (team liquid thread here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155731), I would taunt them
"Look, you are probably some nerd in the basement, but I am a tall, fit, muscular guy with a super model girlfriend, not only that, I am also in a top 20 med school, AND beating you in starcraft II, with CARRIER none the less"
At the moment, I wonder, if somewhere out there, there could be a guy that completely pwn me in everything.
And here I found you, Sir, I must say, not only you got to go to UCSF, the dream school that rejected me pre-interview, you also pwn me at Starcraft II.
Hat off for mad respect.
*deleted*
can you come up with a percentile score? you could say that you are better than 90% of gamers, and then say how many gamers there are. maybe cite one of those studies that says kids that play video games are better at multitasking.
but seriously, if i was a program director i would see any type of excellence as a plus. being good at something requires dedication and skill. we want those people.
you would either fail miserably or get a really bad ass residency.
but seriously, if i was a program director i would see any type of excellence as a plus. being good at something requires dedication and skill. we want those people.
you would either fail miserably or get a really bad ass residency.
Sometimes when I play starcraft, as I run my enemies over with my glorious carriers (team liquid thread here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155731), I would taunt them
"Look, you are probably some nerd in the basement, but I am a tall, fit, muscular guy with a super model girlfriend, not only that, I am also in a top 20 med school, AND beating you in starcraft II, with CARRIER none the less"
At the moment, I wonder, if somewhere out there, there could be a guy that completely pwn me in everything.
And here I found you, Sir, I must say, not only you got to go to UCSF, the dream school that rejected me pre-interview, you also pwn me at Starcraft II.
Hat off for mad respect.
And your dream girl is tossgirl?
What does, tall, fit, muscular have anything to do with starcraft?
I'm top 200 in NA server but I am too embarassed to put this in the resume
I hope you aren't the one who bitched about void ray OP on teamliquid.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K