University of Colorado Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent0258

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I was wondering if there are any past or current residents in the University of Colorado program? I'm planning on interviewing there in December. The location is perfect and the school has a good reputation but I've come across a negative review of the program. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi-
I was wondering if there are any past or current residents in the University of Colorado program? I'm planning on interviewing there in December. The location is perfect and the school has a good reputation but I've come across a negative review of the program. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Didn't we read that all of their CP faculty quit/turned over a few years ago?

There is one semi-well known neuropathologist there (DeMasters), but no other national names that I know of. I just checked their website and it looks like they have a huge residency program (like 25-30 residents) but very few fellowships. What is up with that? That makes you wonder about the volume. If they had huge subspecialty volume they would have a breast fellowship, a gyn one, a gu one, multiple GI ones, a soft tissue one etc.... They do have derm though :thumbup::love:

But if the location is right, it is the only game in town, so go and make the most of it.

If you are going there for the moutains sports thing, also consider Utah.

I am a resident at UCH and first-hand would say that the program has been really good. I think the CP 'turnover' a few years prior refers to perhaps when our new chair arrived - which was over 6 years ago and certainly before my time. However, at that time there was some faculty turn-over within the department all together.

Overall, the CP training is like the AP training - very good with some areas that are excellent. I would disagree that because there is no gyn, breast, GU, or bone and soft tissue fellowship that the volume is not sufficient to train residents and might even suggest for residency training, a full complement of fellowships has a potential to detract from resident training. It is the exception that a program has all these fellowships, not the rule. Our AP training is solid with a more west coast set-up with 'hot seat' type roles at the university hospital as well as the affiliate hospitals - which there are 3. Also, our residents get good fellowships, a large part due to our really cohesive / strong residents but also in part because of the department. Hope this helps dispell any myths about training at UCH, the reality here is the same as many other institutions. The training is good. We pass our boards. We go onto good fellowships. We get good jobs. We live in a place we really like. Hope this helps!

These are the past 3 years (+ / -) of graduates that I can recall:

UCLA Surgical Pathology
ARUP Hematopathology
ARUP Molecular pathology
UT Southwestern Forensic Pathology
Pittsburgh Pediatric Pathology
MD Anderson Hematopathology
King County Coroner (Seattle) Forensic Pathology
Univ. of Colorado Surgical Pathology (with renal focus)
MD Anderson Cytopathology
Univ. of Colorado Blood Bank + Dermatopathology
University of Colorado Surgical Pathology + Cytopathology
Cleveland Clinic Cytopathology
University of Wisconsin Cytopathology
Giessienger Health Center Cytopathology
UT Southwestern Hematopathology
Boston Children's Pediatric Pathology
Stanford Molecular Pathology
Stanford Surgical Pathology + Hematopathology (undecided location)