Preceptors.... have you ever failed a student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I forgot to add who the hell compounds coal tar ointment anymore? Sheet the last time I did that was 8 years ago in my integrated laboratory. If that was one of the criteria to passing your rotation I guess I would fail.

A local pediatrician orders some kind of witches' brew for diaper rash that includes tincture of benzoin, and that's almost as bad. People who are parents have, however, told me that stuff works.

I also had to compound gentian violet at my last job. While it doesn't smell, it stains even worse than coal tar.

When I had rotations, I had one - and thankfully, it was the last - where the main preceptor "pimped" me - in other words, demanded things that were so far beyond the scope of my knowledge, I didn't even know how to look them up, and then insulted me for not knowing. I said something to another preceptor, and later that day I saw him lead her into a meeting room and close the door, and she never insulted me again. I also learned very quickly not to tell anyone where I would be working upon graduation, because once they heard the words "mail order", they stopped making eye contact, would not sit with me in the cafeteria, answered questions incorrectly on purpose, etc. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

We had pre-made coal tar. And icthammol...that stuff is disgusting. Ruined one of my favorite shirts.

I don't think the deficits mentioned are necessarily worth failing a student over. IF the student was unwilling to learn, that's another issue. Clearly that student has the ability to gain that knowledge (based on the antiarrhythmics), so give him a chance.

A lot of schools leave teaching actual drug knowledge to the fourth year rotations, which is incredibly depressing. I can't count the number of times I heard "Don't worry about the dose, you'll learn that in rotations" or "You can get the counseling points out of Clinical Pharmacology".
Right. We didn't go over pain management until the week before we graduated during a seminar. The only other time we learned about opioids was in Med Chem - not Therapeutics. So, I can fully understand why a rotation student would confuse hydrocortisone with hydrocodone.

Maybe preceptors need to understand how the edumacation system works...! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. We didn't go over pain management until the week before we graduated during a seminar. The only other time we learned about opioids was in Med Chem - not Therapeutics. So, I can fully understand why a rotation student would confuse hydrocortisone with hydrocodone.

Maybe preceptors need to understand how the edumacation system works...! :scared:

Yeah, preceptors should have a general idea of the curriculum of a students school. although we covered pain management in med chem and therapeutics. I still don't think its acceptable for a 4th year student to not know the difference between hydrocodone and hydrocortisone.

Yeah, preceptors should have a general idea of the curriculum of a students school. although we covered pain management in med chem and therapeutics. I still don't think its acceptable for a 4th year student to not know the difference between hydrocodone and hydrocortisone.

I agree I do not think this is acceptable.

A lot of schools leave teaching actual drug knowledge to the fourth year rotations, which is incredibly depressing. I can't count the number of times I heard "Don't worry about the dose, you'll learn that in rotations" or "You can get the counseling points out of Clinical Pharmacology".

It drives me nuts that schools tell students that they do not have to know doses. This is the #1 question I get asked by physicians...dosing.

I can't judge how much your student knows, but I can tell you one thing that it is really hard for a student, while in school studying for many tests, to be able to retrieve any past learning knowledges instantly after school. It is not because he or she does not know it, but because his or her brain is so much occupied with current topics in school. It takes the brain time to reorganize what have been learned over the past 4 years.

I think because you have been constantly working in retail and been asked questions about drugs, it is quite easy for you to say the answer right the way. But for a student, it is a different story. Glipizide causes hypoglycemia is common known, but do you know any other side effects or drugs interaction with glipizide? I beg it will takes you sometimes to think about the answer.

Again, i really can't judge how bad your student is, but these are things to consider myself.

It drives me nuts that schools tell students that they do not have to know doses. This is the #1 question I get asked by physicians...dosing.

I think they are just being realistic. The schools can require that you learn the dosing but there is no way they can make you retain that knowledge. When there is so much to learn, those numbers are going to get dumped the first time students have to move on to another topic. My profs have explained that we can always look up the dosing when we need it but they want to make sure we learn and hopefully remember the fundamentals.

I think they are just being realistic. The schools can require that you learn the dosing but there is no way they can make you retain that knowledge. When there is so much to learn, those numbers are going to get dumped the first time students have to move on to another topic. My profs have explained that we can always look up the dosing when we need it but they want to make sure we learn and hopefully remember the fundamentals.

Uhm... That's a bit disconcerting.

If the student offended you, you'd fail them. Without regard to what they actually know, naturally.

But if they are nice and an idiot, you have reservations.

Just one of the many things wrong with pharmacy education...preceptors care more about if the student pretends to love them than attempting to actually gauge how good they will actually be at protecting patients...

There are also some preceptors that are just old and bitter or divorced. They will grade you harshly even if you do a good job. On one of my rotations, the preceptor barely and I mean BARELY passed me just because I didn't meet her crazy standards. On another rotation, I received a very high A because my preceptor had a much better attitude and was willing to work with me.

There are also some preceptors that are just old and bitter or divorced. They will grade you harshly even if you do a good job. On one of my rotations, the preceptor barely and I mean BARELY passed me just because I didn't meet her crazy standards. On another rotation, I received a very high A because my preceptor had a much better attitude and was willing to work with me.

What rotation was this?

Okay now I'm feeling like you're trollin. You just had a thread asking if you should go to a certain pharmacy school or apply to another one.

They see me trollin,' they hatin'

very true. i say grade everyone easy. since they are pumping out students, creating major surplus, opening new schools, why not say screw it and just grade easy.

good gotta counter the bad too :)

very true. i say grade everyone easy. since they are pumping out students, creating major surplus, opening new schools, why not say screw it and just grade easy.

good gotta counter the bad too :)

I'm just saying that they should grade fairly. Not easy.