Free tuition at UC Medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybershot

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the USNews medical rankings, and couldn't help but notice the in-state tuition for University of California medical schools.

0$ in-state ?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

Scroll down to UCLA, UC Davis, etc.

Is this for real?

Members don't see this ad.

I always thought US News to be a very reputable website. Why does it say in-state tuition is 0$ for all UC med schools. Is that a mistake on their part?

Members don't see this ad :)
....even the undergraduate UCs.....legally, they are called fees instead.

Yes. They in fact do have "0 tuition", the problem is that there 30k in fees. :laugh:

....even the undergraduate UCs.....legally, they are called fees instead.
Yep, but the MSAR is updated to reflect this in the school's costs, which is why it should be more relied on than USNWR for school-specific information.

...if you drill down on UCLA, for example, it clearly shows "Required Fees" of $26k for all. If you are OOS, you have to pay an additional $12k in tuition.

Of course, USNews is at least one year behind, since the UC Regents can't raise the "Educational Fees" fast enough. UCLA's fees are now $30k in-state. Total COA is $57k instate, & $69k OOS. At least its not too difficult to claim state residency for year 2 and beyond.

my dad teaches at a uc medical school and it's definitely not free for residents. you'd think that'd maybe even things out. suure we can't get into our state schools, but at least they're free if we do! but no. no california love :(

this is a trend happening in public schools. In Mass, this is happening with many of the state colleges because of TUITION-based scholarships provided by the state to students who excel at Mass standardized testing. This was putting a lot of financial strain on the schools so they started upping the FEES, which were not covered by scholarships. I'm not sure if something similar is going on with the UC system.

As others have said, definitely not free - its just a terminology thing which the MSAR corrects for but apparently US news doesn't.

Most UCs cost about:

25k/year fees (first and fourth year) + 25k cost of living
30k/year fees (second and third year) + 25k cost of living

So in the end you'll be close to or over 200k in loans.
Some are pretty good about filling in the blanks for people who would max out on Stafford and require private loans. This usually is 5-10k/year of "free money" or low interest institutional loans.

Yeah I remember seeing that $0 for in-state tuition the first time I was checking out the rankings. If I remember correctly, they also had out-of-state tuition listed as something like $12,000. If only...