How many hours do D1 students spend studying outside of class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours do you spend studying per day( excluding classes)?

• 1-2 hours

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • 3 hours

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • 5 + hours

Votes: 17 23.3%

• Total voters

bing12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending Temple, and am curious to how what D1 students, not just at temple, but at every school, typical school day is. How many hours they spend on studying, how many hours you have of free time to just lay back? thank you

BTW, when i mean EXCLUDING CLASSES, i mean the time spend in class does not count ( obviously). thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the week. Sometimes you can skip a day, other times you'll be using all your free time for several days at a time. Sometimes you can have study time and free time at the same time. I always studied for Monday morning Morphology tests while watching Sunday night football. The one time I didn't watch football I made my worst grade... go figure. 3hrs/day is a decent average.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the week. Sometimes you can skip a day, other times you'll be using all your free time for several days at a time. Sometimes you can have study time and free time at the same time. I always studied for Monday morning Morphology tests while watching Sunday night football. The one time I didn't watch football I made my worst grade... go figure. 3hrs/day is a decent average.

I agree..about 3 hours a day, it varies day to day..we had two quizzes today and a practical and have a quiz tomorrow as well..but with all the studying I put in the last few days for what I had to do today I have no more motivation to study for my stuff tomorrow..so today I took a personal day and havent studied at all. It all depends on the week but if you do about 3-4 hours a day usually you'll be alright. You have to do something everyday for 'yourself' though..for me thats going to the gym and working out.. 7 days/week no excuses--it doesnt matter how many exams or quizzes are the next day. I find that this keeps me on track for the most part and on par with keeping up in school work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending Temple, and am curious to how what D1 students, not just at temple, but at every school, typical school day is. How many hours they spend on studying, how many hours you have of free time to just lay back? thank you

BTW, when i mean EXCLUDING CLASSES, i mean the time spend in class does not count ( obviously). thank you

As far as D1 has gone, there are fewer "typical school days" at Dental School than there were at undergrad.

For me, Dental school generally has a few different types of typical days, and they cycle. The cycle tends to go along with a dietary cycle which is described in brief here.

1) Relax. You just finished a quiz/practical, and you don't have quizzes or practicals in the foreseeable future (5+ days), so you're chilling. You crack open a book and a beer at the same time, but the beer quickly becomes more interesting than the book, and four hours later you find that you're quite sleepy from the nap you just took. Facebook and gchat take too much effort, so you pass out.

2) Motivated/middle. You have a quiz in 2-3 days, so you wake up early, you work out, you consider attending classes but remember they're online, so you clean your room, and you study 2-3 hours, maybe even 4-6 hours in 2 super-motivated blocks. You finish up your day with some leisure reading or some video games or a movie. You wonder whether or not you could do this sort of thing all the time, and you start to think about how nice it would be to get away from coffee. Dental school seems to be pretty okay - a pleasure, even. It's nice to study rather than work.

3) Crunch Day. You have a quiz tomorrow. Coffee is suddenly your best friend again. Study 8 hours. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200$. You facebook, but only in a desperate attempt to find out how late everyone else is staying up, and how hard they find the material, and whether or not anyone has an old exam or five. You would work out, but you scarf down a third hamburger instead, since you have no time to eat.

You question your existence as a dental student and start to wonder whether it's worth it. You are inexplicably irritated by the presence of other living beings, including but not limited to family, spouse/s.o., and the hot girl you've been checking out for weeks who now thinks you're a freak show. The weird part? You don't even care what that troll thinks. Because it's crunch day.

4) You have a quiz/exam today. You've switched from coffee to Red Bull, and you're starting to wonder whether putting Red Bull into your coffee might not be the simple solution. Your hands are shaking and you tell yourself it's just because you're happy to be here. After the quiz is over, your day begins to resemble (1) quite closely. You begin apologizing to people around you for being so irritable, even while realizing the cycle is about to begin again...

... so as an answer to your question, I guess I study about 3-4 hours per day.

Reactions: 1 users
For me, Dental school generally has a few different types of typical days, and they cycle. The cycle tends to go along with a dietary cycle which is described in brief here.

1) Relax. You just finished a quiz/practical, and you don't have quizzes or practicals in the foreseeable future (5+ days), so you're chilling. You crack open a book and a beer at the same time, but the beer quickly becomes more interesting than the book, and four hours later you find that you're quite sleepy from the nap you just took. Facebook and gchat take too much effort, so you pass out.

2) Motivated/middle. You have a quiz in 2-3 days, so you wake up early, you work out, you consider attending classes but remember they're online, so you clean your room, and you study 2-3 hours, maybe even 4-6 hours in 2 super-motivated blocks. You finish up your day with some leisure reading or some video games or a movie. You wonder whether or not you could do this sort of thing all the time, and you start to think about how nice it would be to get away from coffee. Dental school seems to be pretty okay - a pleasure, even. It's nice to study rather than work.

3) Crunch Day. You have a quiz tomorrow. Coffee is suddenly your best friend again. Study 8 hours. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200$. You facebook, but only in a desperate attempt to find out how late everyone else is staying up, and how hard they find the material, and whether or not anyone has an old exam or five. You would work out, but you scarf down a third hamburger instead, since you have no time to eat.

You question your existence as a dental student and start to wonder whether it's worth it. You are inexplicably irritated by the presence of other living beings, including but not limited to family, spouse/s.o., and the hot girl you've been checking out for weeks who now thinks you're a freak show. The weird part? You don't even care what that troll thinks. Because it's crunch day.

4) You have a quiz/exam today. You've switched from coffee to Red Bull, and you're starting to wonder whether putting Red Bull into your coffee might not be the simple solution. Your hands are shaking and you tell yourself it's just because you're happy to be here. After the quiz is over, your day begins to resemble (1) quite closely. You begin apologizing to people around you for being so irritable, even while realizing the cycle is about to begin again...

This is an excellent summary of dental school life. At my school our tests/quizzes/competencies are closer together though, so my phase 1 usually only gets to last for the afternoon/evening after an exam.

As far as D1 has gone, there are fewer "typical school days" at Dental School than there were at undergrad.

Amazing

This is probably the most helpful and humorous summary of dental school life I've read so far.

Too many. How many hours are spent outside of class studying what the practicing dentist uses in his/her practice: ZERO

I think newyorkblork took care of this thread :)

Why isn't there a choice of 0-1?
Back in the day I studied maybe 4 hours a week. Unless exam crunch days of December and April/May came, then it was about 6-8 hours a day.

Yea, I will go a week without studying if I don't have any quizzes or test. But I always start studying 3-5 days before exams, and 1-2 days before quizzes. You don't have to study everyday though unless it's finals or a really rough week.

How's everyone's exam schedule look like at your school?
As for myself, I have one IMS (integrated medical science) exam every Monday and a lot of times, a 2nd science exam on Friday at 8am since I started school. I would say there are about 2-3 Friday exams out of the ten week quarter. And let's not forget, since we also have to deal with operative and fixed dentistry courses, I need to squeeze about a solid 2-5 hours of lab hours eveyday.
That's just the basic exam schedule and life I am currently going through.

Besides the Monday exams, we have other quizzes and projects due through out the week. I remember vividly from last quarter where I would have an biochem exam on Monday, dental anatomy #18-19wax up due and a dental anatomy quiz on Tues, Wed with a fixed proth practical, thurs with an operative quiz, and Friday with a physiology exam. If that doesn't sound bad enough, that was week ten following by the finals. That's when I really hit the point of no return, thinking to myself "why am I doing this to myself?" haha but I am glad it's over!!! Oh wait, 10 finals this quarter.....they never end.

this is exactly my life. well done sir.

Excellent summary!!!! :thumbup:

2) Motivated/middle. You have a quiz in 2-3 days, so you wake up early, you work out, you consider attending classes but remember they're online, so you clean your room, and you study 2-3 hours, maybe even 4-6 hours in 2 super-motivated blocks. You finish up your day with some leisure reading or some video games or a movie. You wonder whether or not you could do this sort of thing all the time, and you start to think about how nice it would be to get away from coffee. Dental school seems to be pretty okay - a pleasure, even. It's nice to study rather than work

This one was on the money for me... especially "you start to think about how nice it would be to get away from coffee." By mid-October I had a major love/hate relationship with coffee. It eventually turned to an endless supply of 5 hour energy (buy in bulk!). One day we'll look back to first semester and laugh (but not anytime soon for me, ha).

thanks for the answers, they are very informative. Its nice to have a general idea of the amount of time spent studying outside of class.

I spend probably 10-30 minutes or so studying a day... but the 2-3 days before an exam that number jumps to like 10ish hours a day

The amount of time spent studying largely depends on the semester. For Tufts, the hardest semesters are the first semester of first year (gross and neuro anatomy) and second semester of second year (lots of academic coursework combined with a lot of lab time). The first semester I was studying over 5 hours a day outside of class, but this semester I barely study 1-2 hours a day outside of class on average, although we do spend a lot more time in preclin.