2011-2012 San Juan Bautista Application Thread - ACCREDITATION LOST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm from CA and I applied to this school since my interest is in working in underserved communities especially the Latino/Hispanic communities. I didn't read the admission requirements carefully and just found out that only PR residents are invited to apply...so I spent about $30'ish something dollars for nothing! :slap:

So I'm from CA and I applied to this school since my interest is in working in underserved communities especially the Latino/Hispanic communities. I didn't read the admission requirements carefully and just found out that only PR residents are invited to apply...so I spent about $30'ish something dollars for nothing! :slap:

I am glad to inform you that SJB does indeed take out of state (mainlanders) in their class. In fact about 30% of their class (if not more) is made up of students from all over the mainland. I had an interview and am currently on the waitlist for this school and I attended college in the mainland. Good luck!

FYI: The only school in PR who does not take any mainlanders is UPR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad to inform you that SJB does indeed take out of state (mainlanders) in their class. In fact about 30% of their class (if not more) is made up of students from all over the mainland.QUOTE]
You just made my day/night! thanks! BTW: is there a secondary app for this med school? Good luck to you too! :luck:

I am glad to inform you that SJB does indeed take out of state (mainlanders) in their class. In fact about 30% of their class (if not more) is made up of students from all over the mainland.QUOTE]
You just made my day/night! thanks! BTW: is there a secondary app for this med school? Good luck to you too! :luck:

There is no secondary. There are certain things you must submit as soon as you get an email saying that it is okay for you to submit them. Things such as a $100 fee, police report saying you're not a criminal and something else i cannot recall. The earlier you apply the better!

Thanks for the info. I just went to get fingerprinted and requested the background/criminal report. I've emailed the admissions department but no answer :( I want to know if I have to send the official transcripts to them, eventhough the transcripts were submitted to AMCAS. Their website says: "Official transcripts from all institutions attended (undergraduate and graduate)"

Thanks for the info. I just went to get fingerprinted and requested the background/criminal report. I've emailed the admissions department but no answer :( I want to know if I have to send the official transcripts to them, eventhough the transcripts were submitted to AMCAS. Their website says: "Official transcripts from all institutions attended (undergraduate and graduate)"

I just checked the email SJB sent me awhile back and it said the following:

"Official Transcripts from all universities attended sent directly from your Institution to our Institution, in addition to those submitted to AMCAS"

So you should have all the colleges you have attended send an official transcript directly to SJB, I assume you have the address? I already mentioned what else they ask for and as far as the letters of recommendation, you can just submit them to AMCAS and you should be fine (notice that UCC asks you to send the letters directly to them, which is totally uncool. Not sure if you plan to apply there or if things changed this year). Good luck!

One more thing: do you speak, read and write Spanish? This is a MUST to be able to be admitted!!

I forgot to mention that the best way to communicate is to call until someone answers!

One more thing: do you speak, read and write Spanish? This is a MUST to be able to be admitted!!

I forgot to mention that the best way to communicate is to call until someone answers!

Got that in the bag! :DYo nací y estudié en El Salvador, yo creo que mi Español es mucho mas major que mi inglés :laugh:
Thanks for the info!!

Got that in the bag! :DYo nací y estudié en El Salvador, yo creo que mi Español es mucho mas major que mi inglés :laugh:
Thanks for the info!!

Entonces no tendras ningun problema! Buena suerte!

Have you received anything from SJB since you applied? I am going to apply again since I did not get in this year.

Have you received anything from SJB since you applied? I am going to apply again since I did not get in this year.
NOPE. I called back in July and the person on the phone said that they will start sending things/reviewing applications late August because the person who is in charge of reviewing was on vacation until late July/early August. Did you apply to Ponce? they have been very good in communicating with me. I'll let you know if I hear back from SJB

Members don't see this ad :)
I Don't understand why we need to send transcripts directly to them. Isn't that the whole point of the amcas primary app? Also my mother I Colombian and I speak Spanish fairly well( it all comes back to me when I am expose to it again on a regular basis) however I understand conversational Spanish. Do you think not knowing technical/medical Spanish would be a big problem?

I Don't understand why we need to send transcripts directly to them. Isn't that the whole point of the amcas primary app? Also my mother I Colombian and I speak Spanish fairly well( it all comes back to me when I am expose to it again on a regular basis) however I understand conversational Spanish. Do you think not knowing technical/medical Spanish would be a big problem?

I don't understand the need for transcripts being sent directly to SJB...we just have to jump the hoops they want us to jump. Conversational Spanish at a minimum is what I understand they're looking for in an applicant. BTW: the requirement of 12 college units of Spanish is something that I totally missed! Hope you have those taken care of unlike me :( I thought that since I'm fluent in both reading/writing that would be OK but SJB said: NO!

Good luck

I don't understand the need for transcripts being sent directly to SJB...we just have to jump the hoops they want us to jump. Conversational Spanish at a minimum is what I understand they're looking for in an applicant. BTW: the requirement of 12 college units of Spanish is something that I totally missed! Hope you have those taken care of unlike me :( I thought that since I'm fluent in both reading/writing that would be OK but SJB said: NO!

Good luck

Good luck to you too! Do you know what the process(length, stats ect) are? there doesn't seem to be much info on here?

is their a specific form SJB requires for the background check?

Good luck

That really sucks. Sorry.

is their a specific form SJB requires for the background check?

I thought it was just a clearance letter from our local police department. Give yours a call. They did mine for nothing.

Good luck

Hey guys I applied last year and I did not have to send my transcripts directly to them. I only had to send the police report stating that you are not criminal and the $100. Unless they changed their requirements...

Do any of you know if san juan takes clep exam credit? I am fully bilingual but afraid that my spanish credit will not count?

I know they take AP credit if it appears on your transcript. I would assume the same for CLEP....however, I would call just to be sure. Where are you in the application process?

Do any of you know if san juan takes clep exam credit? I am fully bilingual but afraid that my spanish credit will not count?
Yes, I asked that same question to their admissions staff. I took the CLEP Spanish test and received 12 credits...far more than what I needed. I sent CLEP staff $20 to send my "transcripts" to SJB.

Good luck!

this school is no longer lcme- accredited

THEY LOST THEIR LCME ACCREDITATION!! THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ACCREDITATION WAS LOST!! IF YOU SENT MONEY, CONSIDER IT LOST...BOY AM I GLAD I WAS NOT ACCEPTED HERE BEFORE!! FUNNY HOW THINGS WORK OUT! WOW IN SHOCK:eek::eek::eek::eek:

THEY LOST THEIR LCME ACCREDITATION!! THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ACCREDITATION WAS LOST!! IF YOU SENT MONEY, CONSIDER IT LOST...BOY AM I GLAD I WAS NOT ACCEPTED HERE BEFORE!! FUNNY HOW THINGS WORK OUT! WOW IN SHOCK:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hope to get my $33.00 back.

Here is what I got today:

"Dear AMCAS Applicant, We are contacting you regarding your AMCAS application to San Juan Bautista School of Medicine for the 2012 entering class. As you may be aware, effective Oct. 3, 2011, the Liaison Commission for Medical Education (LCME) has withdrawn accreditation from the educational program leading to the M.D. degree at this school. Due to this decision, San Juan Bautista School of Medicine is no longer eligible to participate in AMCAS. The designation to this school will remain visible in your application record, but AMCAS will no longer participate in their application process. You will be issued a refund for your AMCAS application to this school. If you have been approved for the Fee Assistance Program, AMCAS staff will contact you with details about how to receive FAP credit for an additional medical school designation. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected]. Thank you, AMCAS "

This is not going to be good for the students that are already there! :(

My heart goes out for the students at that school. Tragic...:(

Yeah I wonder what's going to happen to the students....I'm sure they could transfer although I could see it being tough for them to get good letters of rec if the school wants to keep its students and not see a massive departure of students? PR is such a cool place too...I guess not for med school.

So anyone know what exactly happens now for the school and students?

Yikes! I just found out. Does anyone know what happened? I would be so pissed if I went there. Imagine the years of tuition...just gone. Poof. My hearts go out to those students. They should get something in return to right that wrong :(

Here is the answer to why they lost their LCME accreditation: "This decision was based primarily on the LCME's assessment of inadequate clinical resources."

Here are a lot of other answers:

https://www.aamc.org/students/sjb

It is really harsh...:( especially for students looking to get matched. They had the rug pull right from under them.

I had no interest in this school what so ever, and nor am I applying here.

I just stopped int to say that this sucks! Ugh! Poor students. :( :( :(

This is crazy. I imagine state-side schools will try their best to accompany these students. Worst part is the 4th years. I imagine their best case scenario would be transferring in as a third year next fall, falling back two years :(

This is crazy. I imagine state-side schools will try their best to accompany these students. Worst part is the 4th years. I imagine their best case scenario would be transferring in as a third year next fall, falling back two years :(

Seriously... the worst. How do they go about losing accreditation.

San Juan Bautista... you should be ashamed of yourselves as an administration!!!!! Absolutely ridiculous.

Those poor students must be losing their ish!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) is the nationally recognized accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the M.D. degree in U.S. and Canadian medical schools. The LCME is sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association. [/SIZE].

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overview.​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LCME "Connections" .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NEW..​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LCME Rules of Procedure..​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LCME Submission
Requirements

.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Accreditation Standards .​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Accreditation Procedures.​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Accreditation Status of New Medical Schools.​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]School Directory..​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medical Students and LCME Accreditation.​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Publications .​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frequently Asked Questions .​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contacting the LCME.​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT, November 18, 2011
Pursuant to an October 28, 2011 Order of the federal district court for the District of Puerto Rico in the case entitled Escuela de Medicina de San Juan Bautista v. Liaison Committee on Medical Education et al., on November 16, 2011, an Appeals Hearing was held regarding the June 2011 LCME decision to withdraw accreditation from the educational program leading to the MD degree at the San Juan Bautista School of Medicine. The LCME Appeals Panel affirmed each of the areas of non-compliance originally cited by the LCME. The panel placed the medical education program on probationary status pending the LCME's consideration of the results of a full survey visit to take place as previously scheduled on January 29 - February 1, 2012.

Has anyone else received this e-mail from the school?

"Good Morning,This e-mail is to inform you about the decision made by the LCME ad hoc Appeals Panel. This Panel rescinded the withdrawal of accreditation of the San Juan Bautista educational program, and placed the program on probation pending the results of the full accreditation survey schedule for January – February 2012. For more information regarding this notification you can access www.lcme.org."

Could anyone familiar with LCME proceedings comment on this phenomenon? I do not think I want to send $100 to reinstate my application, but I would appreciate any insight anyhow.

Has anyone else received this e-mail from the school?

"Good Morning,This e-mail is to inform you about the decision made by the LCME ad hoc Appeals Panel. This Panel rescinded the withdrawal of accreditation of the San Juan Bautista educational program, and placed the program on probation pending the results of the full accreditation survey schedule for January – February 2012. For more information regarding this notification you can access www.lcme.org."

Could anyone familiar with LCME proceedings comment on this phenomenon? I do not think I want to send $100 to reinstate my application, but I would appreciate any insight anyhow.

I received the same email. I'm not going to give them $100 because all they want is your money! I doubt any respectable school would send such emails if they were in the situation they are in. G'luck

Hello, everybody! (And hello again to you, notorious 725! I hope you're doing well!)

In light of everything that's happened, and because I FINALLY have a free moment from exams (thank you, President's Day Weekend!), I thought I'd offer the perspective of a current SJB student, just in case anyone is interested.

But before I do, a disclaimer: I cannot (and will not) speak for the general SJB student body, since I am neither on the Student Gov., nor so arrogant as to think that everyone happens to feel the same way I do. All I can offer is my own perspective, my own personal opinion, my own experiences, and what I have personally seen and heard, myself. I mean, I can share hearsay, gossip, and rumor if people want--but frankly, you can find that on any SDN forum, and you hardly need me for that.

So, with that in mind, I shall continue.

In early February, the administration at SJB sent out a document pertaining to the situation of accreditation, its plans and actions, and the LCME site visit in February. I'm not going to give the full text--mostly because it's four pages long, single spaced, and I only have the hard copy--but in it they listed all the Standards the LCME had listed as areas of concern, and what new information they had/new steps they had taken in order to correct them.

*SJBSM at present holds the status of "accredited on probation" by the LCME, with the next accreditation visit schedule for late February, 2012. Pending the results of this visiting team, the LCME will review the school's accreditation, and make their final decision at their next official meeting, (which I believe is sometime in June of 2012).

*Of the Class of 2012, who were the first ones to be required to take the USMLE in order to advance into second and third year, the Step 2 CK exam pass rate was 94%.

NB: Data for the Class of 2014 has not been made available yet, primarily because a lot of them had their testing slots cancelled in October, when the LCME withdrew its accreditation. Of the ones who had taken it before then, I've heard other students cite numbers around 100%--but again, maybe 14 people (at most) had taken it, so even if that's true, it's unlikely to be reflective of the whole.

*At present, MS-3 students at SJB are offered clinical rotations at Mennonite Health Systems hospitals, Ryder Memorial Hospital, Metro-Pavia Hospital, Professional Hospital-Guynabo, the Correctional Psychiatric Hospital, First Panamerican Hospital-Cidra, First Panamerican Hospital-Ponce, Hato Rey-Pavia Hospital, COSSMA (6 Federally Qualified Centers), Gurabo Community Health Center, SANOS Corporation, and the Rio Piedras Family Medicine and Geriatric Center.

[NB: Mennonite Health Systems were the ones who purchased the SJB Hospital. As part of the purchase agreement, MHS will allow MS-3s from SJB to access their network of clinics for rotations, and have already invested $1M in renovating and repairing the SJB hosptial.]

*The same facilities available for MS-3 rotations also provide slots for MS-4 students' required and elective clinical rotations. Additionally, there are slots at the VA Hospital, San Juan City Hospital, UPR School of Medicine, and other facilities on the US mainland.

*In November 2006, SJBSM signed an agreement with the UPR School of Medicine in Rio Piedras to provide students with educational experiences in clinical settings with ACGME-accredited residency programs, of which UPR has 33--more than any other school in PR. In addition, the school has since signed other affiliation agreements with the VA Hospital and San Juan City Hospital, both with ACGME-accredited residency programs.

*Additionally, MS-4s are also able to enroll in clinical rotations on the US mainland via the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS).

That's pretty much the "official word" that the administration sent out to all of us. If anyone cares for my personal (and highly subjective) opinion, I'd be happy to share it, either here on in a PM. Good luck to everyone, regardless, and best wishes from Caguas, Puerto Rico!

Last edited:
For anyone who is still monitoring this thread, there have been one or two recent development you might be interested in.

I posted them on another thread here that was discussing the accreditation status, so if anyone is still considering matriculating to SJB, hopefully this will be of some use to you:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=861262&page=4

Best of luck, regardless!

For anyone who is still monitoring this thread, there have been one or two recent development you might be interested in.

I posted them on another thread here that was discussing the accreditation status, so if anyone is still considering matriculating to SJB, hopefully this will be of some use to you:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=861262&page=4

Best of luck, regardless!

I thank you for the link for the LMCE probation update for SJB....any other news?

if you had a choice to start med school all over again and your ONLY 2 options were: Ponce or SJB (both on probation) which would you choose and why?

if you had a choice to start med school all over again and your ONLY 2 options were: Ponce or SJB (both on probation) which would you choose and why?

Hm, that's actually a very good question, but one I'm not sure that it's one I can really answer. Still, I suppose I'll give it a shot, if you like.

I'm actually surprised to hear you say that Ponce is still on probation. I had thought that they'd gotten their full accreditation back this past spring--and if that's the case, then the honest answer would be to go for Ponce, since they won't be up for review for another four years, at least.

But if they're both on still probation and (hypothetically) up for review at the same time, I would say go with the school that most impressed you, in terms of their facilities, organization, etc.

For my part, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would choose SJB again, all things being equal. (And by "all things being equal," I mean no questions of accreditation looming over my head). The reason for this is the following:

I know nothing about Ponce, so I really can't comment on the way they do things, or how things are at their school. But I do know that my "madrina" (the 2nd-year student who was assigned to be my first-year mentor) had very few good things to say about their school, and actually transferred to SJB midway through her first year at Ponce. Again though, I have no firsthand knowledge about Ponce, nor even any idea if her experiences are in anyway typical, or not.

But speaking personally, I've actually acclimated quite well to life here at SJB. And I can think of more than a few reasons why I'd like to stay at SJB, if given the option.

First and foremost, is the tuition: at least for this past year, SJB had the cheapest tuition of any school that I'd been accepted to (all two of them), and really the cheapest cost-of-attendance of any school that I applied to--even factoring in rent, utilities, and relocation expenses. I don't know what Ponce's tuition was like but ours was in the neighborhood of $30K/year (give or take) for out-of-state students.

The second point I'd mention is the fact that, at least here at SJB, the faculty generally try very hard to be responsive to students' needs and requests. If you have any questions, the faculty are more than willing to meet with you--or if not you, then your student class representatives. That is to say, if you have a question or a problem, you can either talk to the faculty directly, or failing that, talk to the elected student representative for that class. Usually, if enough people make a request (for example, to push back an exam to allow more time to study) they are surprisingly receptive and responsive to that.

Furthermore, because you all take the same classes, at the same time, with the same professors, there is a very strong sense of camaraderie and fraternity between the students at SJB. This last point is, I think the most salient one, at least for someone like me. At SJB you're not just a faceless number--people actually notice when you're there, and when you're not. This can be a good thing, in that professors actually know your name, and thus know you from Adam if you ever ask for a Letter of Rec; or it can be a bad thing, in that prof. will actually notice when you're not in class, or when you appear to be falling asleep...>_>.

Still, it's somewhat telling that even people who transferred out of my year to go to other schools still post on our Facebook group, trying to keep in touch with their "SJB family." That's rare, I think, in general--and almost unheard of at other schools. And it says a lot about how close you will be able to get to your classmates, and says even more about the social and academic atmosphere here at SJB.

By far the strongest case I can make for SJB is the strong sense of cooperation we enjoy. Granted, my class might be an aberration, but for the Class of 2015 at least, "competition" is a completely foreign concept. When deadlines are looming, and the pressure is on, you have 40+ people in your corner who are more than willing to lend you their notes, summarize a lecture, or even let you practice your physical examination skills on them while you're waiting to get into the Standardized Patient unit. People actually care about your continued and ongoing success--and while I'm sure that's true at other medical schools, it certainly surprised me when I came to SJB.

All that being said, however, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the accreditation situation (we'd be fools not to be), but I am cautiously optimistic on that front. Another thing I will mention is that at SJB, you really have to be very flexible. At least this past year, there have been frequent last-minute changes to our syllabi--mostly pushing back deadlines, to allow students more time to do assignments. A lot of that has to do with the fact that the situation with the LCME has thrown our schedule into disarray (and I defy any school to do better, in light of the circumstances). But it is frustrating for a lot of students, and this may not be the case at Ponce.

For my part, however, if SJB receives its accreditation again in the fall, or even probation, I plan on staying for the forseeable future.

Hopefully that helps somewhat. And if you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regardless of where you end up, good luck! And if you do end up in Puerto Rico, let me know if you have any questions about life in Puerto Rico.

I'm actually surprised to hear you say that Ponce is still on probation. I had thought that they'd gotten their full accreditation back this past spring--and if that's the case, then the honest answer would be to go for Ponce.

Thanks for your reply. You're right about Ponce, they are fully accredited now.

I am going to Ponce on the 30th for an interview so I'll get to see the environment and assess if I can see myself there for 4 years.

Thanks again! I REALLY appreciate your answer to my post.

Good luck!

Thank you for such detail post.......
Is there any new information that you may know or that the school has share about the accreditation that it's worth sharing?
Thanks

Thank you for such detail post.......
Is there any new information that you may know or that the school has share about the accreditation that it's worth sharing?
Thanks
No new information, I'm afraid. I do know that we recently had our Middle States Association Accreditation review visit, but that was a non-event and most of the student body didn't even hear about it until after they had left. To my knowledge the Middle States has never had any problems with our graduate or medical programs--this was just a normal review visit, and it was uneventful.

At least from my understanding, there won't be any news at all until June at the earliest. That's when the LCME review committee will actually meet to go over the findings of the site visit.

Good question, though, and if I hear anything further I will let you know.

No new information, I'm afraid. I do know that we recently had our Middle States Association Accreditation review visit, but that was a non-event and most of the student body didn't even hear about it until after they had left. To my knowledge the Middle States has never had any problems with our graduate or medical programs--this was just a normal review visit, and it was uneventful.

At least from my understanding, there won't be any news at all until June at the earliest. That's when the LCME review committee will actually meet to go over the findings of the site visit.

Good question, though, and if I hear anything further I will let you know.
Any news? I heard decision was supposed to be released this week

No news yet, I'm afraid. Although it should be announced sometime in the next week or so.

Although, if you like, you can keep checking the LCME site here: http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

Just do a search for San Juan Bautista School of Medicine.

Hello Everyone,

I speak Spanish, but not fluently. I'd rate myself at about 80% comprehension and 60% speaking fluency. Would this kill my chances of passing the interview and getting into SJB?

Thankya!

Status
Not open for further replies.