2011-2012 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please respond to the questions below. Responses should be no more than 200 words. If the question is not applicable, please leave the response blank.

1. If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application.

2. Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts and what town you consider "home".

3. Have you ever worked/volunteered or otherwise participated in any UMASS Medical School or UMASS Memorial Health Care sponsored activities/programs (Example: Area Health Education Center (AHEC), Pipeline Program, Summer Enrichment Program (SEP), Research) If Yes, please describe. A letter of recommendation from your program supervisor is strongly encouraged.

4. What are your future medical career plans? Please describe your hopes for your chosen medical specialty, type of practice, and size/type of practice community.

5. What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option?

6. What book did you most enjoy over the past 5 years, and why?

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First one? :)

I ran into an interesting situation while doing the AMCAS this evening. When searching for the UMass med school, there seems to be only an MD/PhD option, and no regular MD option. Did anyone else encounter this or is UMass an MD/PhD only university? :confused:

(Regardless I am hoping to apply)

You have to declare MA state residency to qualify to apply to the MD-only program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luckily for me I qualify for the residency requirments. But UMass is probably one of the hardest in state schools to get into since it is not easy to meet the residency requirments.

Incoming student who would love to help out current applicants. I'm really excited about starting classes there in August. If anyone have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck applying!!

Last edited:
I want to go to UMass so badly I can hardly describe it. I know it's a first choice for many people and I'm not super psyched about my numbers going in, but here's hoping for luck and in-state love.

For the record, AMCAS character limits are really killing me right about now...

Big UMASS hopeful here--really really hoping I get to the interview!!!! :)

I want to go to UMass so badly I can hardly describe it. I know it's a first choice for many people and I'm not super psyched about my numbers going in, but here's hoping for luck and in-state love.

For the record, AMCAS character limits are really killing me right about now...

Numbers aren't everything here. You'll almost surely get an interview based on how they do things and then it's all about selling yourself.

Love the state of MA - really hoping to get into UMASS!

Hey, has anybody started getting secondaries from UMASS yet? I've been waiting a couple weeks now and still nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
seems like people were getting secondaries by now last year? Strange, does UMASS screen btw?

I haven't received the secondary yet either. Of 17 schools, I have 10 secondary requests so far. Give it a bit more time.

I have not received a secondary either, but UMASS is still one of 8 secondaries that I am waiting for. Based on the '09 MSAR, they do not screen if you meet all of the MA resident requirements.

Good luck to everyone applying. :)

I got an email to setup an account through their peoplesoft interface a few weeks ago. It didn't seem like there was a secondary hiding in there, though.

I got an email to setup an account through their peoplesoft interface a few weeks ago. It didn't seem like there was a secondary hiding in there, though.

I had the same problem. Apparently, they didn't attach directions to some of our emails. This should have gone out:

Once you have signed in:
-Click on the Self Service link.

-Click on the STUDENT CENTER link

-Scroll to the bottom of that page.

-Complete the Supplementary Application

Follow the instructions on the pages to complete your application. While on-line you can follow the progress of your application and track your to-do items.
Clicking the SAVE button at the bottom of each page submits your data to us. There is no formal 'SUBMIT' button. You can make edits and each time you click 'Save' the most recent information is submitted to us. You can keep making/saving edits until your application is complete.
YOUR TO-DO LIST DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR SECONDARY FORMS. The admissions office verifies receipt and completion of all forms and indicates if your items are complete in PSCS at which time your secondary forms will gray out and you will be unable to make additional changes.
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
-$100 Application Fee

-Payments may be made by personal check, certified bank check or money order payable to the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

***Applicant’s name and AMCAS ID# must be legibly written on the check***

Please mail in your fee to the address below. Your fee payment must be in the Admissions Office by the 12/15/11 deadline regardless of postmark. We are unable to accept on-line application fee payments at this time. Items in your “To Do” List will update when we record receipt of your application fee.

-MCAT scores
Your scores will appear on your AMCAS application so you do not need to send a separate report. Selection of applicants for the medical school class entering in a given calendar year will be based, in part, on MCAT scores acquired during the previous three calendar years only.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must notify the admissions office if they do not plan to take the MCAT on the last date listed on their applications. Applications will remain incomplete until all results are in the admissions office and must arrive by the established deadlines.
-Letter of recommendation from your pre-medical committee.
If you do not have a pre-medical committee we will accept two letters of recommendation from pre-requisite science instructors.
YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNTIL ALL OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS ARE COMPLETED AND IN THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE BY THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON THE FOLLOWING APPLICATION DEADLINE DATES:
- Early Decision- September 1, 2011

- Regular Admission- December 15, 2011

For additional information regarding our medical school admissions process please visit our web site at http://www.umassmed.edu/som/admissions/.
Please follow us on Facebook for important admissions updates and networking with our current students: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unive...-School-of-MedicineAdmissions/109315172443950
Thank you for your interest in the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Should you encounter issues with signing into the on-line system, please call or email the admissions office.
Sincerely,

University of Massachusetts Medical School

Office of Admissions-School of Medicine

Rm. S1-112

55 Lake Ave., North

Worcester, MA 01655

Tel. 508-856-2323

Email: [email protected]

still haven't received an email from umass, have most people? my amcas was verified on 6/11. should i get in touch with them?

I've just e-mailed the office of admissions about the release date for the secondary application for regular admissions. I'm not sure if those of you who already received a peoplesoft account were regular or early decision applications. I'll post the reply; if and when I do receive a reply.

I've just received a reply to my previous post... Apparently, UMASS has already sent out e-mails for secondaries; however, as to why only a few people received them is beyond me. I've been obsessively checking my spam folder just in case some of my secondaries end up in there, but I have never received an e-mail from UMASS until today. Admissions informed me that they had already sent one out to me, but I never received it. In their response, they enclosed my userid and a doc file with instructions on how to access the secondary. I'd suggest that if you haven't received a secondary to the school yet, and you have been verified in early June, please contact admissions at [email protected]. Good luck.

----
Admissions [email protected] to
cleardot.gif
xxxxxx<[email protected]>
date
cleardot.gif
Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:01 AMsubject
cleardot.gif
RE: 2011-2012 MD Secondariesmailed-by
cleardot.gif
umassmed.edu
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Important mainly because it was sent directly to you.Hi XXXXX:

You should have received an email from us already regarding accessing our on-line secondary. I am attaching the email. Your User ID is: XXXXX (PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IT IN ALL CAPS. Thank you.

----

i just got the same response. i also was obsessively checking my spam and definitely didn't get an email from them. i was really hoping to get this one turned around really quickly, i hope this delay doesn't affect anything...

I got mine yesterday and I was verified in Mid-June, just to give you guys a sample of the timelines.

I got mine yesterday and I was verified in Mid-June, just to give you guys a sample of the timelines.

I also received what looked like a mass mailing for the secondary yesterday. However, this was a day after they informed me that they had already sent out the link for the secondary....:confused:

Btw CeltSoxDoc, I got a kick out of your avatar. :D

I also received what looked like a mass mailing for the secondary yesterday. However, this was a day after they informed me that they had already sent out the link for the secondary....:confused:

Btw CeltSoxDoc, I got a kick out of your avatar. :D

uhhh whats the prompt?

uhhh whats the prompt?

There are 6 prompts with a 200 word limit for each prompt. Not all prompts must be answered.

---
Please respond to the questions below. Responses should be no more than 200 words. If the question is not applicable, please leave the response blank.

1. If you are reapplying to UMMS, please describe how you have strengthened your credentials since your last application.

2. Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts and what town you consider "home".

3. Have you ever worked/volunteered or otherwise participated in any UMASS Medical School or UMASS Memorial Health Care sponsored activities/programs (Example: Area Health Education Center (AHEC), Pipeline Program, Summer Enrichment Program (SEP), Research) If Yes, please describe. A letter of recommendation from your program supervisor is strongly encouraged.

4. What are your future medical career plans? Please describe your hopes for your chosen medical specialty, type of practice, and size/type of practice community.

PT_PIXEL_1.gif
What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option? Career:
PT_PIXEL_1.gif

6. What book did you most enjoy over the past 5 years, and why?

wondering if you guys could help me out because im a little confused...

i sent in my $100 fee monday
finished all components of the supplementary application online (pre req courses, questions, residency 1 and 2, additional info, and recs)

am i done?:confused:

when i look at my application status it says incomplete and that my outstanding items are:

-proof of residency
-secondary form
-application fee

does this just mean it will a little time to process my info? or do i physically need to mail in other things?

Hey guys,

I emailed the adcom but they haven't replied. It's about Mass. residency. My parents have been green card holders + Massachusetts residents since 2003. However, I've only lived with them for one year before returning to Canada and finishing up high school plus university there. During that time Massachusetts had always been my permanent address. Do I still count as a resident?

I'll be the first to admit, I sure don't feel like one. But, my parents have been tax payers to the state, so I'm not sure if that gives me qualification to apply? I hold the state's driver's license, have worked summer jobs here, and recently taken a pre-req course here.

Any insight would be appreciated!

wondering if you guys could help me out because im a little confused...

i sent in my $100 fee monday
finished all components of the supplementary application online (pre req courses, questions, residency 1 and 2, additional info, and recs)

am i done?:confused:

when i look at my application status it says incomplete and that my outstanding items are:

-proof of residency
-secondary form
-application fee

does this just mean it will a little time to process my info? or do i physically need to mail in other things?

Chill pink, it is only Tuesday. That means Monday was yesterday. The likelihood that they received your check and processed your app in one day is very slim.

Hey guys,

I emailed the adcom but they haven't replied. It's about Mass. residency. My parents have been green card holders + Massachusetts residents since 2003. However, I've only lived with them for one year before returning to Canada and finishing up high school plus university there. During that time Massachusetts had always been my permanent address. Do I still count as a resident?

I'll be the first to admit, I sure don't feel like one. But, my parents have been tax payers to the state, so I'm not sure if that gives me qualification to apply? I hold the state's driver's license, have worked summer jobs here, and recently taken a pre-req course here.

Any insight would be appreciated!

If your parents have lived in MA, you are a dependent of theirs as shown on their tax statements, AND you have maintained your MA license you shouldn't have trouble. At least that is my guess.

I know in the secondary e-mail they tell us we can't formally "submit" the application. Instead, we are supposed to just save our application info and once they see it is complete they will start to "gray out" the sections we are finished with.

I have officially finished, but nothing has happened in terms of the "gray out". Anyone having this issue?

There is a button to notify the committee when you're complete. It has been a couple weeks and it now shows up with : "Supplementary application is complete and cannot be changed."

I also get marks of completion in my application sections.

where is the button to notify them you are complete? i cannot seem to find it...

It is right next to the link to the secondary application in the 'Student Center.'

there is no button to click on mine. perhaps because my letters are not in yet?

there is no button to click on mine. perhaps because my letters are not in yet?

I was under the impression that the secondary grays out once they've received and processed your application fee. Other than that, there is no formal way to submit your application.

hey guys,

Just a quick question on the recommendation section of the secondary. If you have a pre-med committee packet, with the committee letter and other recommendations enclosed in the packet, do you list the additional recommenders as additional authors even though everything is enclosed in one packet? And also there doesn't seem to be a choice for committee packet under the letter source tab.

thanks so much

hey guys,

Just a quick question on the recommendation section of the secondary. If you have a pre-med committee packet, with the committee letter and other recommendations enclosed in the packet, do you list the additional recommenders as additional authors even though everything is enclosed in one packet? And also there doesn't seem to be a choice for committee packet under the letter source tab.

thanks so much

If you have a committee letter coming, most committee letters will include those recommendations so there is no need to indicate them as additional authors. The additional author option is only relevant when you are asking for individual recommenders, and have applied to the school without a committee letter.

Does UMass send its secondary to all students? Also, do they only send it once an application has been verified by AAMC?

Does UMass send its secondary to all students? Also, do they only send it once an application has been verified by AAMC?

UMASS doesn't screen primaries. I was verified way before secondaries were sent out, so I can't really help you with your second question.

To those who have an interview invite, do you mind posting your stats? Thanks.

Just received an interview invite this morning! I was complete on 8/5!! Great way to start the holiday weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.