2011-2012 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Excited to apply here. Does anyone know if Hospice volunteering would suffice for their Community/Volunteer Experience section? Even though patient interaction was a huge part of my Hospice experience, I felt that some of the other duties that I've done during my Hospice experience can be considered community service.

For example, I volunteered primarily around my area where I also assisted the caregivers in running errands, such as; grocery shopping, going to the post office etc. I also sought out donations from the community to be given not only to the patient but the immediate family. Anyways, good luck everyone!

Excited to apply here. Does anyone know if Hospice volunteering would suffice for their Community/Volunteer Experience section? Even though patient interaction was a huge part of my Hospice experience, I felt that some of the other duties that I've done during my Hospice experience can be considered community service.

For example, I volunteered primarily around my area where I also assisted the caregivers in running errands, such as; grocery shopping, going to the post office etc. I also sought out donations from the community to be given not only to the patient but the immediate family. Anyways, good luck everyone!

Yeah it could be counted as community/volunteer experience. Just remember with Utah, if you have an activity that could fit into more than one category, you can only choose one, choose wisely. For example with your hospice, you could count that is either community service, or patient exposure, but not both. No double dipping is allowed. This gives you a little bit of wiggle room in categorizing your activities to make sure you fulfill each area.

So try and make sure you cover all the areas they require.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it could be counted as community/volunteer experience. Just remember with Utah, if you have an activity that could fit into more than one category, you can only choose one, choose wisely. For example with your hospice, you could count that is either community service, or patient exposure, but not both. No double dipping is allowed. This gives you a little bit of wiggle room in categorizing your activities to make sure you fulfill each area.

So try and make sure you cover all of you

Thanks a lot and congrats on your acceptances. Good luck in med school!

IS student. Doing undergrad here. I would love to have the opportunity to be a medical student at the U next year! Many doctors I currently work with are graduates of the U. It'll be great!

I love Utah, and I would totally apply to U of U if it didn't seem so futile. I'm a Florida resident with no real ties to the state, and I'm not in an underrepresented population.

I love this school and the area. Can't wait to hear from them!

I'm not sure if my "ties to the state" are going to hold up or not. Does anyone know if working and living there seasonally is enough? Guess I'll find out soon...

I'm not sure if my "ties to the state" are going to hold up or not. Does anyone know if working and living there seasonally is enough? Guess I'll find out soon...

I would guess that's enough.

Anyone got the secondary for Utah yet? My roommate got approved to apply here OOS a week ago, but neither of us have received a secondary (I'm IS, by the way).

This is my top-choice school, but I hear it has a beast of a secondary, so I want to get it over with it soon.

I haven't received one yet either. Looking at last years post it should be coming any day now!

Got the secondary today. Looks like the same as last years

Anyone else get a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my secondary. Idaho applicant. But my password doesn't work. I guess I'll call them and let them know.

OOS applicant, just got my email to petition for a claim to Utah today.

I just received my secondary materials. OOS applicant.

got the secondary - anyone look at the diversity class requirement ... and if i don't have a class to fulfill this requirement, is there another option like lived in africa/fiji for a couple years?

got the secondary - anyone look at the diversity class requirement ... and if i don't have a class to fulfill this requirement, is there another option like lived in africa/fiji for a couple years?

This would be a call to make to the admissions office.

Utah is very strict about applicants checking every box; meaning they will require an actual course that qualifies as a "diversity" course with a letter grade earned. Living abroad would very likely not cover this requirement.

Calling the admissions office to inquire if such-and-such course taken in such-and-such year / semester would be acceptable for this requirement is the approach I would take.

Best of luck on the application cycle.

I'm assuming you are/were a fellow BYU student. I know the 1 credit REL department classes on Judaism and Islam both fulfill this requirement.

The pre-health office has a list of every class that qualifies. anthropology 101 works for this requirement. check.

Last edited:
Orientation for us first year medical students just ended on Friday. Let me be the first to say on this year's thread that the University of Utah School of Medicine is an awesome program! Everything I've seen so far is absolutely top notch: the faculty, administration, facilities, hospital affiliations, research opportunities, integrated curriculum and much more. You would not believe how much everyone here cares about the students and their success!

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Interview invite today at 3:42pm!
Complete secondary 8/1

Lots of dates to choose from on M, W, Th, F starting with September 8. I chose September 9 as my first choice.

Interview invite today at 2:42pm. I'm stoked and trying to snag one of the first days!

Interview Invite!
Got the email this afternoon! picked Sept 8 for the first choice, 9/9 second, 9/14 third. I would like to interview as early as possible -

Interview invite!!!

Interview invite today at 3:42pm!
Complete secondary 8/1

Interview invite today at 2:42pm. I'm stoked and trying to snag one of the first days!

Congrats to the other interviewees :thumbup: More invites will come out soon - Good luck everyone

Is anyone getting call backs after selecting their days from these past interview invites? They say within 5 days, but I'm choosing dates that are coming up, so I want to make travel arrangements asap! Pretty stoked to interview here!

Is anyone getting call backs after selecting their days from these past interview invites? They say within 5 days, but I'm choosing dates that are coming up, so I want to make travel arrangements asap! Pretty stoked to interview here!

No call yet - maybe by the beginning of next week?

Did not realize that this school did not accept committee letters.

Just submitted the secondary. I hope they download my letters soon. I'm hoping to get an interview invite soon. ID applicant.

Anyone get a phone call from Utah to schedule yet? Hoping to get my travel agenda worked out soon.

Interviews start next week! :thumbup:

Anyone get a phone call from Utah to schedule yet? Hoping to get my travel agenda worked out soon.

Interviews start next week! :thumbup:

Still no call here either. Waiting to book arrangements myself. They said 5 business days, so that gives us until tomorrow. I assume we'll be hearing then. Excited and hopeful to get an early date!

Anyone getting calls from admissions about these first rounds of interviews? Hoping to get an early date and make travel arrangements soon!

Just called admissions - they were waiting on schedules to come in and looks like they will be contacting us soon.

Interview Invite this morning!

Congrats :thumbup:

Scheduled! Sept 8. :thumbup: Look forward to meeting the rest of you all there

Got the call this morning. Sep. 12th. See you all there!

Congratulations on the invites!

If your interview day is anything like ours was, it should be a lot of fun. Just relax and be yourself. Everyone here is friendly and personable.

Our interviews started with a brief overview by the admissions office and was then followed by two interviews, a tour of the medical campus, and lunch with second year medical students. Easily the best meal I had on the interview trail. Depending on the scheduling of your two interviews you may have some time on your own to tour campus, informally meet with first and second year medical students and even sit in the back of a lecture. Come with lots of questions.

I'll do my best to stop by the admissions office to say hello.

Good luck!

Interview dates submitted Friday. First interview and at my desired school!

Congratulations on the invites!

If your interview day is anything like ours was, it should be a lot of fun. Just relax and be yourself. Everyone here is friendly and personable.

Our interviews started with a brief overview by the admissions office and was then followed by two interviews, a tour of the medical campus, and lunch with second year medical students. Easily the best meal I had on the interview trail. Depending on the scheduling of your two interviews you may have some time on your own to tour campus, informally meet with first and second year medical students and even sit in the back of a lecture. Come with lots of questions.

I'll do my best to stop by the admissions office to say hello.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing a bit about what kinds of questions were asked in interviews? Were they more conversational or more formal? Do they have an open file, or just the essays, etc. Interested in knowing what to plan for. I'm looking forward to interviewing there in a week! This school is very high on my list because of a number of specific programs.

Hey, thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing a bit about what kinds of questions were asked in interviews? Were they more conversational or more formal? Do they have an open file, or just the essays, etc. Interested in knowing what to plan for. I'm looking forward to interviewing there in a week! This school is very high on my list because of a number of specific programs.

Interviews lasted between 30-60 min (at least mine did ... ) but interviewers do not have your GPA or MCAT scores. I was asked just about every question you could think of including a lot of "what if ..." questions to test how I would resolve conflicts etc.

The day is very low stress, so no need to worry. Dean Samuelson even came in for 10 or 15 minutes and joked around with us. Admissions tries to make you feel comfortable and gives you a good idea of what life is like as a medical student at the U. The other three interviewees also got to sit in on an MS2 class lecture.

PM me if you have any more specific questions about the interview day.
Good luck:thumbup:

and don't take foothill drive from the 215 on your way to the interview in the morning. just sayin ...

Interviews lasted between 30-60 min (at least mine did ... ) but interviewers do not have your GPA or MCAT scores. I was asked just about every question you could think of including a lot of "what if ..." questions to test how I would resolve conflicts etc.

The day is very low stress, so no need to worry. Dean Samuelson even came in for 10 or 15 minutes and joked around with us. Admissions tries to make you feel comfortable and gives you a good idea of what life is like as a medical student at the U. The other three interviewees also got to sit in on an MS2 class lecture.

PM me if you have any more specific questions about the interview day.
Good luck:thumbup:

Cool, I'm glad to hear that. Thanks! I'll PM you if I have any other questions.

I received an interview invite on Tuesday and confirmed the date yesterday for Oct. 21. Booya.

All, just heard that Utah only processes inital AMCAS applications after receiveing a physical copy via FedEx - and a chunk of those set to arrive around august 30th got lost.

I am told the U is working with AMCAS on it, but if you haven't heard anything for a while you might call admissions and see if yours was one of the AMCAS/FedEx blunders

Status
Not open for further replies.