87 Pathologists Apply For Pathology PA job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc15

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mom works in human resources for Labcorp and they received a huge response from patholigists for a PA job. They have pulled the ad since I think they do not need more applicants. Here is the original.Pathology Assistant Apply Now Company: LabcorpLocation: Birmingham, ALDate Posted: May 19, 2011Requisition Number: 3219 Job Title: Pathology Assistant Category: Laboratory Support City: Birmingham State / Province: Alabama Assigned Shift: 1 Regular / Temporary: Temporary Full Time / Part Time: Part Time Standard Hours: 1.00 Work Schedule: Monday- Saturday on an as needed basis Requirements: Must be a Board Certified Pathologist or Pathology Assistant Job Description: Performs postmortem examinations and dissections on received tissue specimens within the histology laboratory. Performs gross dissection on more complex surgical specimens.I am surprised to see so many doctors applying for a PA job.See link: <a href="http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/byiq7d4auo/pathology-assistant-jobs/I" target="_blank">http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/byiq7d4auo/pathology-assistant-jobs/

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, first 50+ pathologists applied for that job in rural MN, now 87 have applied for a PA job in Birmingham, AL.

Next up: 153 applying for a histotech job in Battle Mountain, NV.

Last stop: 1,006 will volunteer to eat the morgue slurry in Markham, IL.

My mom works in human resources for Labcorp and they received a huge response from patholigists for a PA job. They have pulled the ad since I think they do not need more applicants. Here is the original.Pathology Assistant Apply Now Company: LabcorpLocation: Birmingham, ALDate Posted: May 19, 2011Requisition Number: 3219 Job Title: Pathology Assistant Category: Laboratory Support City: Birmingham State / Province: Alabama Assigned Shift: 1 Regular / Temporary: Temporary Full Time / Part Time: Part Time Standard Hours: 1.00 Work Schedule: Monday- Saturday on an as needed basis Requirements: Must be a Board Certified Pathologist or Pathology Assistant Job Description: Performs postmortem examinations and dissections on received tissue specimens within the histology laboratory. Performs gross dissection on more complex surgical specimens.I am surprised to see so many doctors applying for a PA job.See link: http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/byiq7d4auo/pathology-assistant-jobs/Ihttp://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/byiq7d4auo/pathology-assistant-jobs/

This is a job for pathology assistants which is entirely different from a pathologist. I want to know how many actual pathologists applied. If so, they must be desperate for a job or incompetent. This job does not sound like it entails any signout of cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a job for pathology assistants which is entirely different from a pathologist. I want to know how many actual pathologists applied. If so, they must be desperate for a job or incompetent. This job does not sound like it entails any signout of cases.

Yes. I just asked her and it is a PA job only. They had 87 actual pathologists apply and 35 PAs apply. So they actually had more docs than PAs apply for the PA job.

Two words for you. Bill and ****. I was at a cap conference recently an they said there are approximately 450 new trainees per year and approximately 450 new jobs per year with a pending mass retirement of 70 year old pathologists who will soon retire from their part time work. So the job market is is in equilibrium.

Yes. I just asked her and it is a PA job only. They had 87 actual pathologists apply and 35 PAs apply. So they actually had more docs than PAs apply for the PA job.

Sorry, not buying it.

Oh yeah? Well my geometry tutor's stepdad (well actually, my) program's fellows (mostly surg path fellows at a "good" program) all have jobs for the upcoming year. For a couple it took several months more than the others, but they all got pretty decent jobs from what I can tell. Half of them are foreign grads with not amazing English skills.

Just giving a little bit of anecdotal optimism for all the med school kids reading this stuff. Path is an awesome field. Don't get discouraged by the stuff you read here, but don't discount it altogether.

Why is a premed so concerned about a pathologist job market? Dude you are eons away from becoming a pathologist if you choose that route. If you are applying for a PA job as a BOARD CERTIFIED pathologist, you are sad. No BOARD CERTIFIED pathologist, after having studied so much to pass that test would in their right mind work as a PA. On top of that, you are saying that there are EIGHTY SEVEN of them in BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA.

Yes, I guess it's true these boards are full of lunatics. You shouldn't post things like this under the status of a "pre-med." You have no credibility. ZERO.

Last edited:
Why is a premed so concerned about a pathologist job market? Dude you are eons away from becoming a pathologist if you choose that route. If you are applying for a PA job as a BOARD CERTIFIED pathologist, you are sad. No BOARD CERTIFIED pathologist, after having studied so much to pass that test would in their right mind work as a PA. On top of that, you are saying that there are EIGHTY SEVEN of them in BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA.

Yes, I guess it's true these boards are full of lunatics. You shouldn't post things like this under the status of a "pre-med." You have no credibility. ZERO.

Wow - talk about killing the messenger. I posted this because I thought it was interesting and my mom doesn't lie. I don't care at all about the pathology job market. It seems like there are 450 jobs a year per the post above. How does that compare to the number of residents and fellows?

If the job market is so bad, then why did all of my co-residents and fellows that graduated this year find jobs with no problem? Why did some have more than one offer? Why has no one from my program had trouble finding work as long as I've been here, and many are able to find work in crowded markets that are notoriously tight? I don't care about this anecdote and I don't think it's a sign of anything.

Wow - talk about killing the messenger. I posted this because I thought it was interesting and my mom doesn't lie.

Well, in the event that you're not exPCM trolling as a premed, the reason that your tale is causing such consternation is that it simply doesn't add up. It would mean that approximately 0.67% of the entire nationwide pathology workforce applied for a position it is overqualified for in a location that few find desirable. With all due respect, someone has their wires crossed.

If the job market is so bad, then why did all of my co-residents and fellows that graduated this year find jobs with no problem? Why did some have more than one offer? Why has no one from my program had trouble finding work as long as I've been here, and many are able to find work in crowded markets that are notoriously tight? I don't care about this anecdote and I don't think it's a sign of anything.

They were probably paid far less than the workload they are about to handle. Sure you are ready to work for peanuts you will find a job where you will be used as a money making workhorse for those above you. It is not only about getting a job, but also about the quality of job and ones option to choose from multiple available "good to excellent" jobs.

The current job market puts jobseekers in a very vulnerable position, ripe for exploitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the 87 were foreign-trained pathologists looking to come to the U.S.? They are "board-certified", just not by the ABP...?

This seems like a reasonable explanation.

Or else, possibly (with no offense intended toward the OP or OP's mom), either the OP or the OP's mom was confused about the difference between pathologist and pathologist assistant or misheard/misread the statistics about the job. Since the mom works in a lab, I doubt this is the case.

They were probably paid far less than the workload they are about to handle. Sure you are ready to work for peanuts you will find a job where you will be used as a money making workhorse for those above you. It is not only about getting a job, but also about the quality of job and ones option to choose from multiple available "good to excellent" jobs.

The current job market puts jobseekers in a very vulnerable position, ripe for exploitation.

Again. You have such unrealistic expectations. If you join a law firm, you don't get all the money you bill for. You are not made a partner for up to seven years.
It is true in all jobs. Employees dont get 100% of the revenue. The NFL players don't get 100% of the ticket sales, tv money and concessions. They get 50% and the owners are trying to reduce that.

If you hire a guy to make desserts for your restaurant you don't give him 100% of the profits from his desserts.

Why should you or anyone else be expected to be treated that way.

In fact the whole model you embrace is sublimating like dry ice. In the 80s 70% if all pathologists worked in small 4-6 man practices where they were all partners and split all the money. Now that number us down to 25-30% of all pathologists.

Medicine in America is a ruthless for profit industry. Sorry but you are going to have to figure out how to get out there and get yours. It is not going to be handed to you out of residency.

Like outkast sang many years ago. You go to get up get out there and get something.

Medicine in America is a ruthless for profit industry. Sorry but you are going to have to figure out how to get out there and get yours. It is not going to be handed to you out of residency.

I give a flying F about lawyers and their job market. If you want to make valid comparisons, compare to the job market in other medical specialities like dermatology, radiation oncology etc. (fields that are governed by sensible people) and then come back and repost.

It takes an IQ of about 70 to grasp the situation in its entirety, but then maybe thats asking too much from the bottom of the barrel crap that constitutes like 80% of the pathology populace. Imbeciles and idiots being lead by *****s.

Last edited:
Again. You have such unrealistic expectations. If you join a law firm, you don't get all the money you bill for. You are not made a partner for up to seven years.

Lawyers have a job market like that because there are WAY TOO MANY OF THEM. There are law schools on every street corner and only the graduates of a few select schools actually get "good" jobs which even then come with long partnership tracks.

Sound familiar?

Three points and then I give up again.

Medicine is full of employed people including dermatologists and radiation oncologists.

What you are complaining about is the reality for all Americans working in the private sector.

Wouldn't it be easier to drop pathology and spend 4 years to do a derm or rad onc residency rather than spend years griping and bemoaning and being miserable and grudgeful about some percieved injustice you have been served.
Like I said you got to get up get out there and get something. Go become a dermatologist.

Maybe the 87 were foreign-trained pathologists looking to come to the U.S.? They are "board-certified", just not by the ABP...?

I checked and the 87 counts only the ABP board certified. Any others were culled from the candidate pool.

Since I am being wrongly attacked how about those who are attadking put together a PA job ad and post it on a major job site and see how for themselves how many pathologists respond?

Thank you futuredoc15 for sharing this information.

I think in this forum you will find a lot of ostriches who instead of recognizing and facing problems that plague the pathology job market would rather bury their head in the sand and pretend there is no problem (in the vein of their so called leader organizations). These are just silly people and there is no need to pay any attention to them. Keep on posting, this is very valuable information.

Last edited:

Uh, dude, this shizzle DOES happen. A resident from my program (yes, AP/CP certified) ended up grossing little biopsies for a year before he found a real job. Yes, this is sad, BUT IT IS REAL. And yes this is American grad from a very reputable program.

We've had a couple of locum tenems in recent years that said the market is brutal. The only job in our area was at Ameripath and one dr. said she had no desire to go there. We constantly get "cold calls" from currently employed pathologists who have lost significant business and are looking to find something stable. Unfortunantly we have lost a decent amount of business (derm, gyn) to the huge corporate labs so we just dont have any need to bring anyone in.

We've had a couple of locum tenems in recent years that said the market is brutal.

The above statement is an accurate description of the state of affairs and more disheartening when you compare it with the rest of the specialities.

I guess the moral of the story is to get a residency/fellowship position at a "top" program to land a good job. If you cannot get one of those spots, commit seppuku to thin the heard.

I guess the moral of the story is to get a residency/fellowship position at a "top" program to land a good job. If you cannot get one of those spots, commit seppuku to thin the heard.

Sage advice.

I cant encourage anyone to go into pathology. It's bad enough with all the kickbacks you gotta do to get referrals. Just wait until there are point of care devices which greatly reduce or eliminate our specimens. I was reading about one today that was in the Daily Diagnosis publication sent to my email account. There are some game changing technology on the horizon. Hopefully my tattoo removal business idea will help me pay the bills.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ed:+bizj_atlanta+(Atlanta+Business+Chronicle)

I know people who are diagnostically good, hardworkers, gone to top programs, have fellowship experience, not geographically restricted and still (in June) looking for jobs. The situation is really bad.

Just curious...any other soon-to-be first year path residents thinking they made a mistake by choosing pathology and are trying to come up with backup plans?

Last edited:
Just curious...any other soon-to-be first year path residents thinking they made a mistake by choosing pathology and are trying to come up with backup plans?

I have to admit that reading SDN makes my heart jump every time, but I keep going over everything in my head, and I really don't think I'd be happy in any other field. I'm just hoping in 4-5 years, I'll have something resembling a job. I'm still thrilled about the residency program I got, so I'm just trying to stay positive on that.

When an organization least bothered by a bad job market (these organization make money on a global basis by QA/QC stuff so membership fees are of secondary importance), grudgingly acknowledges the bad situation, the wise ones understand the situation is ten times worse (of course idiots will keeping on ranting otherwise for some reason that I fail to fathom). I predict if the job survey is not "photoshopped" , it will show a grave disapointment amongst JULY 2010 AND 2011 candidates

From CAP Today (May 2011)
"The graduate medical education committees of the CAP and the Association of Pathology Chairs have formed a work group on matters of mutual interest, including workforce demand for new graduates. Michael Talbert, MD, professor and chairman of the Department of Pathology at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and CAP GMEC chair, presented to a joint session of the CAP House of Delegates and Residents Forum the results of a recent survey the work group conducted. One hundred percent of survey respondents who self-identified as first-time job seekers between July 2008 and June 2010 had received at least one job offer and accepted a position, though not always in their preferred location. Those entering the market since July 2009 were more likely to report difficulty finding a job, and 94 percent of all those experiencing difficulty felt there were not enough opportunities available, but 85 percent of all job seekers were satisfied or very satisfied with the positions they had accepted. The work group plans to repeat the survey next month".

Even the best t--d polishing fails when the situation is as bad as now. The meat is bolded, italicized in red and underlined. All the satisfaction stuff is BS because satisfaction is a function of expectation. Since expectations are at an abysmal low, anything short of blatant exploitation/slavery will be "satisfactory". Anyway when do you use satisfactory? when you think the situation is "just bearable" not when it is good. When it is good you use "excellent" and when excellent you use "awesome".

In the vein of conspiracy theories, I really think that the ASCP survey of the job market was so horrid for the last few years, that they just decided not to publish it (after all how much can you polish a t--d).

Learn to read between the lines. This is a really really bad job market. No otherway to look at it (spindoctors will try to add a positive BS spin, beware and use intelligence to see through BS).

Also remember traditionally pathology has one of the weakest job markets amongst specialities, add to it the current dire situation and what you have is enough to make you nauseous and ready to puke repeatedly (if you have ,at least, half a brain).

Last edited:
everyone had a job offer and 85% were at least satisfied with their offer.

Sounds like a good job market to me.

everyone had a job offer and 85% were at least satisfied with their offer.

Sounds like a good job market to me.

Re-read the last sentence, certain conditions are a pre-requisite to grasp the situation.

Job Title: Pathology Assistant Category: Laboratory Support City: Birmingham State / Province: Alabama Assigned Shift: 1 Regular / Temporary: Temporary Full Time / Part Time: Part Time Standard Hours: 1.00 Work Schedule: Monday- Saturday on an as needed basis http://www.simplyhired.com/job-id/byiq7d4auo/pathology-assistant-jobs/

Before this thread gets totally derailed into the usual festival of griping, did anyone else notice this? Not only did 87 pathologists apply for a PA job, they applied for a part time, temporary PA job. In Birmingham. It just gets better and better.

Before this thread gets totally derailed into the usual festival of griping, did anyone else notice this? Not only did 87 pathologists apply for a PA job, they applied for a part time, temporary PA job. In Birmingham. It just gets better and better.

My mom was looking for a handy man to do so home repairs. She went to home depot and there were 76 board certified pathologists lined up with the immigrants except none of the pathologists knew how to do anything and they expected 200 an hour.

Good, I see they tried their best to polish the t--d.

37% academic jobs with salaries less than $100,000. A big F that. That is what a fri-king PA makes. Actually the PA I work with makes more in total compensation. F--king CRNAs have an average salary of 189,000.

Resident who did not receive job offers 30%, down from 40% in 2009. Awesome, now only one-third did not succeed in getting a job and had to choose between forced labor aka fellowship or remain unemployed.

One-third of the jobs accepted were at former training programs. I bet most of these were low paid instructor positions aka glorified fellow positions where you are paid sh-t and handle most of the sign-out while your lazy a-- seniors do "research" admin. BS and private consults.

15-18% of forensic/hematopathology fellows and one-quater of transfusion medicine fellows did not receive a job offer.

This t--d was not polished well.

Last edited:
Good, I see they tried their best to polish the t--d.

I'm sure it's not too early to start conspiracy theorizing about the lack of a 2011 survey.

raider said:
37% academic jobs with salaries less than $100,000. A big F that. That is what a fri-king PA makes. Actually the PA I work with makes more in total compensation. F--king CRNAs have an average salary of 189,000.

Resident who did not receive job offers 30%, down from 40% in 2009. Awesome, now only one-third did not succeed in getting a job and had to choose between forced labor aka fellowship or remain unemployed.

To be fair, only 93 residents applied for jobs, so that 30% amounts to a whopping 28 people.

On a side note, I looked at my fellowship as a great opportunity to spend 12 dedicated months building confidence (expertise, if you will) in my area of subspecialty interest. I would never equate it with "forced labor," but perhaps that's just me.

raider said:
One-third of the jobs accepted were at former training programs. I bet most of these were low paid instructor positions aka glorified fellow positions where you are paid sh-t and handle most of the sign-out while your lazy a-- seniors do "research" admin. BS and private consults.

Hmmm, that could explain the sub-100K salaries mentioned above.

raider said:
15-18% of forensic/hematopathology fellows and one-quater of transfusion medicine fellows did not receive a job offer.

As of the time the RISE/FISE/FISHE/TMISE was administered. Still, I think we can all agree those numbers are a pisser.

raider said:

At least it's on display.

In regards to this 85% of people being satisfied with the job offer they got... Of course they are satisfied!! They FINALLY got a job! After seven months of looking and preparing myself to be unemployed, I would be in that 85% now. Does that mean I got a great job? Hell no, I'm just damn glad I got a job. It's easy to be satisfied with a substandard job when the alternative is no job at all...

That line just tells me that most applicants had very very limited options. In this competitive world, that make you ripe for exploitation. I bet many of these were instructor/glorified fellow type positions were they make you do all the work and pay you far far less than the average pay (because of a very weak market the a--holes can do this sh-t).

That line just tells me that most applicants had very very limited options. In this competitive world, that make you ripe for exploitation. I bet many of these were instructor/glorified fellow type positions were they make you do all the work and pay you far far less than the average pay (because of a very weak market the a--holes can do this sh-t).

But yet 85% say they are happy with their job. Look, I realize you have a bias here and want things to prove your viewpoint, but you are being contradictory. If tons of people have limited options and are settling, they aren't going to be very satisfied. It just doesn't make sense. You can argue the job market is not optimal/not good and yet still acknowledge that it isn't like trying to find a job with an english BA degree. Your points, many of which are valid, are getting lost in the extremist arguments which do no one any favors. You are failing at arguing your point by refusing to acknowledge even the existence of a valid contradictory opinion to any of your extreme viewpoints.

The truth is that most applicants (unless they are applying for a job right out of residency without fellowship) are happy with their jobs and are successful and are not settling. This does NOT change the fact that the minority for which this does not apply is too large to be acceptable. I'm not sure why you can't acknowledge this. The majority of people who go through my residency program are quite happy with their jobs. As for fellowships being "useless slave labor" that is simply inflammatory. Radiologists do the same thing. That's what happens in fields like this where training is very broad and extra training is desirable. Some people are doing too many fellowships, yes, but there are all kinds of reasons for this, only one of which is failure to get a job.

Last edited:
Completely agree. Even in a perfect world 15% would be unsatisfied with perfection.

Take raider for instance. He (unlikely she) has a private practice job earning seven figures a year and he/s thinks the job market is terrible. It is as silly as those NFL players calling the NFL modern day slavery.

This med student appreciates the words of yaah, which corroborate with my interactions where I study.

Doom and gloom, sapping the veins of pathology of any hope, can wear on the minds of your next generation.

Doom and gloom, sapping the veins of pathology of any hope, can wear on the minds of your next generation.

While I agree to an extent with this sentiment, it's good to hear the downsides to any field of medicine so that people can not only make an informed decision, but to prepare for things to come. If not for this forum, I might not have applied for (and therefore wouldn't have matched at) the very good program that I did; I might have ended up at a small local program otherwise. I wouldn't have gone to the extent that I have in forming connections and contacts with multiple PP pathologists (as a med student!) if not for this forum. Once I decided on pathology, the rantings I've read on this forum have driven me to do all I can at this point in my medical career to set myself up for opportunities in the future.

I can only imagine what it would be like to find these things out after several years of residency training already behind me...

(1) My views are not extremist, they are pragmatic and reality based. Trying to attract new graduates to the field by showing them things in a better light than they actually are constitutes chicanery, in my opinion. Since I have no axe to grind as in getting more grads to enter path, I am free from such dissimulation. I definitively have a very strong desire for a good job market, because ultimately it adds to my profits (because I depend upon my own hardwork to generate profits and do not depend upon exploitation of others viz. cheap labor consequent to a weak job market).

(2) Regarding certain fellowship experiences being equivalent to forced labor, again that is an accurate (I am not sure why it would be inflammatory) representation of the fact that the residents who were looking for a "real job" (to pay their loans, support their families etc.) but could not find one were "forced" probably "at the last moment" in "desperation" to sign up for fellowships they had no zero interest in doing due to lack of job opportunities.

(3) Satisfied does not equate with happy.

(4) Surveys including members of a specific organization are not valid, as there is already a study bias. What one should gather from this is that inspite of the "sampling bias" the job market still looks weak.

If you think the job market is good , show me data comparing it to medical fields that actually have a good job market. If compared to them, path has even decent numbers, I will change my point of view. Harping about the horrible job market is not my hobby, it is just a reality I observe in various forms on a daily basis.

Again, as with the lawyers job market comparison, comparison with the job market of English majors does not make sense. What is the next comparison going to be? with high school dropouts?

Compare with other medical specialities. Thats the survey I am interested in and I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that path has probably the second worst job market (after nuclear medicine). Moreover, in recent years the situation has deteriorated from bad to worse.

Last edited:
Those who have made up their minds tend to have a difficult time changing them, one way or the other. An evidence based approach would be nice, but the available data appears spotty and biased -- using some of it to support one view or denigrate another, while dismissing other information from the same source because it doesn't fit a pre-existing assumption or opinion, doesn't really get one anywhere useful.

That line just tells me that most applicants had very very limited options.

For some this is no doubt true, but as always there are multiple possibilities behind each statistic. I myself had only two job offers, but I had additional interviews/interview offers that I decided not to pursue any further. In those instances the lack of a concrete offer did not mean a paucity of options, it merely indicated that I felt happy enough with my two lead contenders to shelve the rest of the field.

I can think of a number of colleagues who also had "only" 1-2 offers, but they were geographically restricted to areas where there were only 1-2 groups in existence.

I'm willing to bet that the salary above applies only to instructor-level jobs. They usually last only 1-2 years before you get a real offer for assist. Prof., which usually demands $120-200K. The more prominent institutions may require these positions before you get a real job (Hopkins/Harvard/WashU etc.)

The mean academic Assist. Professor job makes $175K/Yr, not including benefits. Of course the more desirable institutions will pay less.

//since academic profs have little need of fellowships (at least more than 1), you can think of these positions as glorified fellowships if you want.

Last edited: