IronJeff’s BREAKDOWN 9/1/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronJeff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Here's the BREAKDOWN!

I am extremely happy with my scores. I had predicted 23/21/23/22/20/25/22/22 based on TopScore and ADA2009!

I spent six weeks studying, but three of those weeks I spent working on my thesis at school from 9a-5p, so that time was a little tough. I had three good weeks studying 10 hours/day, no days off. The key to this was finding good, fun, helpful materials. YOU CAN DO IT!

BS : ARIS**, CliffsAP*, Barron's AP Flashcards*, Prep101*, DATQVAULT*

I'll try to keep this one short and sweet. I thought this would be my best section because I spent the most time on it by far. I am a biology major, and studying for this part was actually kind of fun. It's important that you have a wide range of resources because each resource has its strengths and weaknesses. I recommend working primarily with ARIS, and supplementing with CliffsAP and Barron's Flashcards. Destroyer is not necessary, most of the questions are ridiculous, and the question types are SO frustrating (almost every question has ‘all the above' or ‘none of the above' or ‘A&C', etc. as options. You will not see these types of answers on the test!). Instead, do practice problems with FREE ARIS and FREE Prep101, as well as datQvault ($20, worth every penny) and CliffsAP. The datQvault tests were pretty representative of the real test IMO.

On the DAT, the BS section had about 4-5 out of nowhere questions, but none of them were ridiculous or unfair. Here's a tip: if you haven't seen the information contained within a question before, it's probably because they are asking you to perform deductive reasoning/problem solving. Use this to your advantage! Realize that they are expecting you to apply related knowledge. The most reasonable answer is usually the right one. I had a few questions that you would NEVER find in a textbook. Study hard and you will do well.

DatQvault scores: 20, 19, 20, 20, 25, 23, 21, 21, 20, 21
ARIS: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/classware/selfstudy.do?isbn=0072464631 -- thanks to AllahIsGreater for sharing!
Prep101: http://www.prep101.com/mcat/free-mcat-study-aids/ -- note: I recommend the 115 MC biology questions. The other BS, GC, and OC resources aren't very useful.

GC : CHAD'S**, Destroyer*

Chad and Destroyer will get you a 21+. These two resources are pure gold. I just wish I had them during freshman year. YOU CAN DO IT BABY!

OC : CHAD'S**, Destroyer

Chad and Romano together forever! To be honest, Destroyer was crazy out of this world overkill. I could have done just as well on this section with ½ the studying. Haloforms & Tollens tests? You won't see ‘em! Chad's quizzes would do just fine! Romano's Destroyer OC is still truly a piece of art. Wish I had these resources during Organic Chemistry!

PA : CDP*, ADA2009*

Like many others have mentioned, CDP works great for getting used to question types. It's also useful for getting down timing. But overall, I would say that CDP wasn't very indicative of the PAT section of my DAT.

Keyhole: DAT is harder. Much more emphasis is put on proportions.

TFE: CDP is good representation.
Angles: PAT is slightly easier.
Hole Punch: CDP is a good representation. I got one 1/3 fold, which wasn't too difficult, but make sure you are aware that they exist. CDP doesn't have any 1/3 fold problems. You should see them in the ADA2009 test.
Cube count: I got an illusion problem, which I totally wasn't expecting. I skipped over the illusions in CDP because I didn't think they would show up on the test. SILLY ME! Even if you don't spend too much time on them during your practice test, make sure to go back and check them out. I personally think CDP's explanations of the illusion shapes are not very good, but this is still an important piece of the PA section to understand. Spend some time on it! You will thank me later :D
Pattern folding: Much more difficult than CDP. I don't know how to explain it well, but if you have seen condog's videos, you will know that there are two question types in this section: no coloring, and coloring. I am naturally better at the coloring questions since it helps to orient me. I was weak in the non-coloring brand of problem. The DAT tended to have more emphasis on the non-coloring type. Now, many of you may say "that's great!," but it's not. There are some WILD shapes/folds in there!

I bought the CDP Ace Edition ($130). I only ended up doing 8 tests. I had planned on doing the others, but after reading advice from other SDNers, I decided that my time would be better spent elsewhere, and I was probably right.

Recommendation: If you're on a budget, I recommend that you save a few bucks by purchasing the King Edition ($100). If you really can't dish out $100 (and I don't blame you!), try out the Rockler Challenge as well as the practice tests on predds. These are free, invaluable resources!
CDP scores: 23, 22, 21, 21, 25, 25, 22, 23
http://www.rocklerchallenge.com/game.html

http://predds DOT net/perceptual-ability-practice-tests/

RC : TopScore*

This score was the biggest surprise of the test. I was praying for a 20. TopScore was WAY (read: WAAAAYY) harder than the actual test, so don't get discouraged, and keep practicing. In my opinion, reading skills are developed over years, and not over weeks or months. But it's still SO important to practice RC because you have to find a method that works for YOU. I thought my RC skills were lacking, so I looked around for different methods. I settled on a really simple method: just READ (noting a key word for each paragraph) and then ANSWER! This method has worked for so many people, and I believe it will work for you too. I did not get the physics passage that has been plaguing the SDN community. My passages were really really really easy. I expected intense scientific information like in TopScore. NOPE!

QR : Math Destroyer*

Math Destroyer is the best resource hands down for DAT QR. Unfortunately, it'll empty your pockets. All DAT resources are expensive, and Math Destroyer is no exception. Still, you can re-sell Destroyer, which is definitely a redeeming feature that is not available in computer software. I bought the DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer Package ($200), so the Math Destroyer really only cost me $50.
The twelve 40Q Math Destroyer tests very closely represent the real DAT. You may opt to take a few of the tests untimed, but you have to get used to the 45 minute time restraint. The QR section is all about strategy and quick cost/benefit analysis. I was able to finish the test within the 45 minutes, but a key strategy I used was saving the 3-4 most time-consuming questions for last. Deciding which to save for last is something I learned through Math Destroyer and it saved me on the test.
I only took eight of the tests due to lack of time. I ended up taking tests 11&12 untimed the day before the test since these sections were recommended by other SDNers. If you are looking for a 30, you MUST understand all of the p-test questions in test 12. That said, I decided not to focus on it too much and spend my time elsewhere, and even in hindsight I don't regret it.
I truly thought that QR would be my best section on the DAT. I'm really good at quick math and I did well on the Math Destroyer tests. Unfortunately, I just wasn't efficient on the test. I was tired!
Math Destroyer tests (X/40): 36, 35, 40, 38, 35, 36, 35, 38

Practice Tests:

Free OAT: BS/GC/OC/QR/OAT :: 400/380/370/400/400

This is written by the ADA. It's free, and it's representative of the DAT (except PAT is missing!).
https://www.ada.org/oat/oat_sample_test.pdf

BS/GC/OC/PA/RC/QR/TS/AA

Free DAT2007: 22/25/28/23/21/25/25/24 -- too easy, but good practice.
Paid DAT2009: 30/30/27/25/20/18/29/26 -- RC and QR are too difficult. LOTS of errors!

TopScore: It's worth the $60. The sciences are pretty good. RC is too difficult, but good practice. PAT is utterly useless, don't waste your time.

BS/GC/OC/PA/RC/QR/TS/AA
Test 1: 22/18/25/22/19/22/21/21
Test 2: 22/21/25/X/21/X/23/X
Test 3: 19/20/28/X/20/X/21/X

Final Advice:

1) Bring your own foam ear plugs. The headphones they had available looked like that were made to fit a baby. I've got a big dome!
2) Bring a very light snack for the break, and a bottle of water. I ate just three prunes, but that was just fantastic for me.
3) Bring some mouthwash and wash your mouth out after you have your snack. For me, having a fresh mouth is paramount to success. It just made me so much more comfortable and focused during RC!

I want to thank all of you who have added to these forums over the years. This is such a great community, and it's so nice that we help each other out. To finish, I want you all to bookmark this motivational speech. Use it when you're in need of that pick-me-up. About a week ago, I had one of those "screw this" moments, and I wanted to just give up and stop studying. I came upon this video, and it helped me push through. Really a touching piece. HOW FAR ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO SUCCEED?

If you need any advice/help, or have any personal questions don't be afraid to PM me. I'll be around!

-IronJeff

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CONGRATS!!!!

Your dreams will become your reality as soon as you apply!!! Great job!!!

I'm taking my test on Tuesday...

Members don't see this ad :)
SICK! I am speechless! Your scores are AMAZING dude! When is the breakdown going to be posted? I DEF think UNC is an attainable goal. Outstanding job! Also, I was on predents yesterday checking out the DAT scores for students who received interviews to Columbia. Your right up there with them.

SICK! I am speechless! Your scores are AMAZING dude! When is the breakdown going to be posted? I DEF think UNC is an attainable goal. Outstanding job! Also, I was on predents yesterday checking out the DAT scores for students who received interviews to Columbia. Your right up there with them.

Thanks so much! The breakdown is coming soon, and it's looking good! :D
Columbia actually won't be on my list. I have had very close interaction with three 4th years from Columbia, and they said/showed that clinical exposure is severely lacking. NYC is not for me in any case (if I did go somewhere in the city, it would be NYU.. their clinic is a beautiful work of art).

Holy Kamoly dude! Wow oh wow! You put us to shame :laugh:

I am convinced the best time to take the DAT is late Aug.

You may be OOS for UNC, but they have to accept some OOS so it mind as well be you. They interviewed about 8% of OOS applicants last year and your DAT scores are at the top of their range.

Since you're applying next cycle, there are some things you can do over the next year to connect with the Admissions Office. PM me for details.

Holy Kamoly dude! Wow oh wow! You put us to shame :laugh:

I am convinced the best time to take the DAT is late Aug.

You may be OOS for UNC, but they have to accept some OOS so it mind as well be you. They interviewed about 8% of OOS applicants last year and your DAT scores are at the top of their range.

Since you're applying next cycle, there are some things you can do over the next year to connect with the Admissions Office. PM me for details.

This is why I love you.:laugh: We'll be in touch and thanks for the data!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is an old breakdown, but I just wanted to say that it is one of the best that I've read in a while! (and I read a lot of them)

All of the free resources you have included the links for are great and will plan on using in my preparation for the DAT! Thank you!!
And killer scores by the way!

I second what this guy has to say ^

dude i discovered ET a few months ago, and his words are truly inspiring. spread the the hip hop preacher word!

Last edited:
I second what this guy has to say ^

dude i discovered ET a few months ago, and his words are truly inspiring. spread the the hip hop preacher word!

I had to watch the video, I was sitting there telling myself this man is correct! And I hit Chad's videos right after. haha. Ill keep that in my back pocket for those cloudy days.

Wow. I'm seriously humbled. Thanks guys! I really tried to put together a breakdown to help people who are on a budget. I hope that I have saved people some money, and helped them score well on the DAT.
Although I've forgotten a lot of the material on the test (don't even know what a Tollens test is anymore), I'm still around for general counseling about the test. PM me if you have questions on how to prepare, etc.
Best of luck!

if you read and answer for RC
how do you retain all the informaiton.. then answer?
do you frequently go back to passage?

I'd say for half the questions, I went back to the passage. But the passages on the DAT are much more basic, and so for the majority of the questions I felt I knew the answer just by reading once through. I went back to the passage more to double check my answer than to actually find the answer. Marking down a key word for each paragraph allowed me to recall the location of the information being asked about quickly and efficiently.
You should only have to read the passage once; paying close attention throughout the passage is really important. The RC section comes right after the break, so make sure you get a small snack, some water, and do something right before you go into the room that will make you feel comfortable and ready to finish the beast. I recommend mouthwash in my breakdown, but there are plenty of other things you can do (e.g. grip a stressball, etc.)

Haha, is NSU Nova? It's likely not one of the schools I'll be applying to. Why do you say they would love me?

That's terrible! You should definitely apply there. With those scores you'll get an interview no problem. And yes it is NOVA. Beautiful school. Seriously you should look into it. :)

ARIS has 50 Chapters with 50 slides on each chapter. Did you study every chapter? It seems like it will take me forever. How did you manage to do that in six weeks along with all the other sections of DAT? It seems like ARIS has slides and then quiz related to that for each chapter. How did YOU use ARIS, like 1 chapter a day or something else. Thanks.

Oh, good question.
Okay, so first off, I didn't look at all of the chapters. I didn't look at anything having to do with plants, or animal behavior. I also didn't look at the sections having to do with chemistry aspects, lab techniques, the origin of life, ecology, etc. I used ARIS mostly for study of cells at the molecular level, and specifics on different classifications of living things, as well as human physiology (that's a BIG ONE!)
Another thing is that I only looked at the chapter outlines, and only used the animations to help remember some key topics. I did not look at any slides and did not take any quizzes. Sorry for confusing you!
I had someone PM me a few weeks ago about my method using ARIS. I know there is a ton of material there, and no, I certainly did not look at/study it all. What I told that person is that I skimmed through the ARIS outlines and looked for material that would make a strong test question. Some part of ARIS biology are too specific or too boring to be good test questions. In those cases, I didn't even try to remember them. I took notes on things that I found interesting. For example, how the body regulates blood CO2 levels. This really interested me, and it would make a fantastic test question.

Oh, good question.
Okay, so first off, I didn't look at all of the chapters. I didn't look at anything having to do with plants, or animal behavior. I also didn't look at the sections having to do with chemistry aspects, lab techniques, the origin of life, ecology, etc. I used ARIS mostly for study of cells at the molecular level, and specifics on different classifications of living things, as well as human physiology (that's a BIG ONE!)
Another thing is that I only looked at the chapter outlines, and only used the animations to help remember some key topics. I did not look at any slides and did not take any quizzes. Sorry for confusing you!
I had someone PM me a few weeks ago about my method using ARIS. I know there is a ton of material there, and no, I certainly did not look at/study it all. What I told that person is that I skimmed through the ARIS outlines and looked for material that would make a strong test question. Some part of ARIS biology are too specific or too boring to be good test questions. In those cases, I didn't even try to remember them. I took notes on things that I found interesting. For example, how the body regulates blood CO2 levels. This really interested me, and it would make a fantastic test question.
Jeff don't take this the wrong way but yr my hero! I wanna tear up the dat like u did

Oh, good question.
Funny that's actually a test question on the 2007 Ada test if not mistaken just changed a slight bit but same thing.

Thanks for your reply!
I'm not really good at picking out what could be important,so if you remember, can you recommend me some chapters that would be important for DAT. Once I get study these chapters then I can go through cliffs to test out where I stand and what I need to study. And thanks I really appreciate your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I have my notes on hand, but they are not labeled by ARIS chapter.. So I can't help you there. Sorry. I'd say look at the chapters about cell structure & function, human physiology, phylogenetic groups (e.g. protists and mammals), etc. and then pick out bits of information that are focused on in the chapter which interest you. Good luck!

Funny that's actually a test question on the 2007 Ada test if not mistaken just changed a slight bit but same thing.

Haha, yeah, I think I remember seeing that.
Even after all this time, some of the DAT stuff still sticks with me. Oh what a wonderful time that was.. /sarcasm