Basic equipment required to practise for bench test at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldendoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel this is something that might be useful... as I saw some people with questions regarding this.. and I myself had found it quite difficult when I was trying to figure things out...

From whatever I know here are a few suggestions about the things you will need to practice at home:-(check out for all these on e-bay,sdn or even craig's list and the respective sites.)
A note:_ When you buys things from e-bay,make sure they are shipped from the US and not China,even if you have to pay a little extra... Otherwise it will be difficult to return in case of some problem.)

1.A compressor and a dental turbine unit(which has a footpedal and attachments)-If you're in an apartment you'll have to get a silent compressor.You may need oil for your compressor too,in case it's not an oilless compressor.

2.A High speed handpiece and Handpiece lubricant(I feel it'll help in extending the life of your handpiece)

3.Typodont (Columbia or Kilgore- depending on the schools you're applying to- I personally find Columbia better to practice on,better morphology and easier on the eyes.IF you're going to buy one try to buy one with soft gingiva.If you already have one,just practise on that to save money.Some schools ask you to have your own typodont for the bench test)

4.Extra teeth- more of molars and incisors(IF you're on the west coast,it might be easier to get it shipped from UOP or other dental school stores or you can order from the Columbia or Kilgore sites though it may take more time for shipping)

5.Burs(you will probably need Diamond:- 847 K- 016 and 012,856,888-012,878 K-012, Carbide:-256,56,169,170,171,368,330 and of course any of you favourite burs) You can order from http://www.brasselerusa.com/brass/index.cfm or get from the dental school stores.

6. Hand instruments:Mouth mirror,#5 explorer,gmts(10-80-10-16 and 10-95-10-16),hatchets (10-7-14,15-8-14)

7. A typodont mounting pole (that rotates 360 degrees)on which you can practise for bench tests on mannequin.

8.Masks(a must) and goggles.

That's
about it.. you're ready to go..

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent post! I like it so much when someone takes the time to contribute for something that will be of use to so many people rather than passively going thru posts. Good job, golden doc. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel this is something that might be useful... as I saw some people with questions regarding this.. and I myself had found it quite difficult when I was trying to figure things out...

From whatever I know here are a few suggestions about the things you will need to practice at home:-(check out for all these on e-bay,sdn or even craig's list and the respective sites.)
A note:_ When you buys things from e-bay,make sure they are shipped from the US and not China,even if you have to pay a little extra... Otherwise it will be difficult to return in case of some problem.)

1.A compressor and a dental turbine unit(which has a footpedal and attachments)-If you're in an apartment you'll have to get a silent compressor.You may need oil for your compressor too,in case it's not an oilless compressor.

2.A High speed handpiece and Handpiece lubricant(I feel it'll help in extending the life of your handpiece)

3.Typodont (Columbia or Kilgore- depending on the schools you're applying to- I personally find Columbia better to practice on,better morphology and easier on the eyes.IF you're going to buy one try to buy one with soft gingiva.If you already have one,just practise on that to save money.Some schools ask you to have your own typodont for the bench test)

4.Extra teeth- more of molars and incisors(IF you're on the west coast,it might be easier to get it shipped from UOP or other dental school stores or you can order from the Columbia or Kilgore sites though it may take more time for shipping)

5.Burs(you will probably need Diamond:- 847 K- 016 and 012,856,888-012,878 K-012, Carbide:-256,56,169,170,171,368,330 and of course any of you favourite burs) You can order from http://www.brasselerusa.com/brass/index.cfm or get from the dental school stores.

6. Hand instruments:Mouth mirror,#5 explorer,gmts(10-80-10-16 and 10-95-10-16),hatchets (10-7-14,15-8-14)

7. A typodont mounting pole (that rotates 360 degrees)on which you can practise for bench tests on mannequin.

That's

Excellent post!!!:thumbup: Thanks

Thank you golden! You did an awesome job of clarifying my oldest doubt of all. I'm trying to know the answers for some days now and finally but greatly.

That's

Don't be nervous or shocked.it doesn't help.. relax.. take one step at a time...
I've mentioned where you can get these things in the post itself...
The rates I'm giving below are rough estimates.. It's to give you an idea..
The cost depends on mainly the compressor you get..For example mine,a used silent one cost around $550 including the attachment turbine unit..I went and picked it up myself..So this is excluding shipping ..as a compressor is pretty heavy shipping itself will cost you anywhere between $60-100(check on e-bay for good deals.. you get from home depot too is what I've heard....If you've a basement ,you can go for the cheaper not so silent one.Try to get one from your locality if possible,can save shipping costs)
The dental turbine unit- you'll get for around $$ 100 from e-bay.
Handpiece- I got for $ 100...you get it cheap on e-bay(again,I emphasize please get items shipped from the US,if you're here)
Columbia Typodont(I got a new one from a dental school store)- So it's about $$220 and then of course around $ 2 for each extra tooth you buy..
Mounting pole(from ebay) around $50-60
And then burs- I got from dental school store again- Each diamond costs around $ 4 and the carbides about $.1.25
The hand instruments are usually in the range of $12-20(for each one)
For me the whole thing would've come to around $1200-1400
If you need more clarifications,pm me or post here.. I'll try to do my best to help you

If you're a predental student in the US ,you don't need all this.These are applicable only for international dentists who are applying for the 2 year advanced standing programs.

@Lena1983
The ones on Kilgore site is always Kilgore
But I think it's better to get a soft gingiva one.
ANd if you're not in a hurry, you may want to wait for deals on ebay/ on sdn classifieds.
Usually it's cheaper.

why typhodont with soft gingiva?

The bench test is done on soft gingiva typodonts as test administrators want to test your skills in making a prep without damaging the soft gingiva. Marks are deducted if there is damage to the soft gingiva even if your tooth prep is excellent. It is therefore advisable to practice on a typodont with soft gingiva so you can learn this important aspect..