Can anyone shed light on Barry University's Biomedical Science program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duvaldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone, I hope everyone is doing great with the holiday season soon aproaching... So I have applied to Barry University (Biomedical Sciences program) for the spring can anyone give me some up to date useful information in regards to the school and the program... For example I've herd the head faculty member is leaving thus the program may be changed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can anyone please help me out with this topic. Any information from the SDN comunity in regards to this topic is much apreciated reguardless of how redundant or insignificant you may think it is. I just want others perspectives on the matter.

I think it would be best to check out the "post-bacc" forum instead.

Not really sure what information you are looking for, but personally I'd choose a program like USF's master in biomedical science (because I did). tuition isnt even HALF of barry's for in-state resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795585

Read towards the end of the thread.

I did the program, it was an amazing when I did it. I learned a lot, and enjoyed it, but the program is going down hill. They are moving to a non school location, and if what is on that thread is true, it is definitely not worth the money anymore. They are taking away things like actual brain specimens for neuroanatomy, cadavers for anatomy, a campus setting, and even in person lectures? Go somewhere more organized and helpful. The director we had was very nice and helpful and really wanted us to succeed. The new director, I read, is a nurse, and I don't think she'll know the application process of medical/dental school as well. Did you apply to New Jersey's Master's program? I heard they are good and pretty cheap. There are plenty of programs out there so do more research. Check out the post bac forum like the person above said.

Thanks for the responses, I have read some of the other postbac forums but some of the posts date back a couple years thus I'm not sure how relevant it is now. Thus I was looking for some fresh perspectives. And thanks BoxerRumble, would you go into a little more detail about your experience if you don’t mind as far as when you attended Barry and which program you did (1 yr, 2 yr, or research). Also I’ve read about the faculty change and it is quite intimidating but I would hope before whoever was initially in charge mentored the new individual before leaving. And the reason why Barry stood out to me was because the ability to start in the Spring, do you know of any other programs that start in spring, and I will defiantly look into New Jersey.

Duvaldentist,

It was only a few years ago that I stood in similar shoes myself, and I think it's great you've begun to be so proactive on SDN already. I caught wind of your post, and I hope that I can help share some information about the BMS Program at Barry University that can help you as well as other interested readers make the best decision possible for their education and career.

I will speak from my personal experience and hope that any bias I have will be diluted by including the experiences of some of my close peers. However, allow me to premise all of this with this: any program is what YOU make it--no matter how much it may change or not change its courses, faculty, locations.

The Biomedical Science Program at Barry University in Miami Shores offers a Masters of Science. The MS is received after a 1 year, 18 month, or 2 year track that is determined depending upon your undergraduate performance, background and MCAT/DAT. There is a comprehensive exam or thesis choice for completion of the program. The degree in and of itself is seemingly becoming necessary in order to score a decent job today, and is becoming a valued asset for dental school applicants according to Deans of Admissions along the eastern seaboard at least. The program offers students a chance to take the same/similar courses offered in most professional (Medical/Dental/Podiatry/Pharmacy) schools at a what would be a "slower" pace. The value in this structure is that students are able to dedicate the time to owning the material beforethem that will serve not only to help them pass their Board Exams later on but to improve/save lives when working as a professional. One may suppose that this "additional" time students are afforded in the masters program as opposed to professional school allows them to better understand the material, which then translates to better grades on exams and your transcript. Therefore, I would not label the program as a so-called grade booster.

Graduate students live in apartments nearby campus usually in South Beach, Aventura, Sunny Isles, Miami Shores, North Miami, North Miami Beach most often. There are also students who commute from Kendall, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Davie, and other South Florida towns and cities. There is no graduate student housing at Barry. Some students work on campus or off campus. On campus employment exists in other graduate departments, administrative offices and research labs and is usually awarded to students who choose to actively pursue this option. Barry is a private university, so you're going to pay a little more.

The student body enrolled in Barry's program is quite diverse in regards of ethnicity, religion, education background, age, etc. It's truly an international educational environment. In fact, I believe Barry University has made headlines a few times for being one of the most diverse campuses.

Keeping with the topic of diversity, educational background plays appears to influence the degree to which students judge the program as challenging. I have learned quite a bit from my courses; since, my bachelors of arts was outside the field of natural science (even though I completed all the pre-requisites for dental school). Other students with an intensive biomedical/biochemistry background may find some courses to be a walk-in-the park.

In the Spring of 2012, the BMS Program will be relocating to a new site about 10 miles up the road in Hollywood, FL. This means that the program will no longer be centered at the main Miami Shores campus where Podiatry, Nursing, PA and undergraduate students are. There still will be a few courses (ex: Human Gross Anatomy Lab) taking place at the Miami Shores campus due to laboratory requirements.

Depending on the program and the particular institution, graduate programs may cost a lot, nothing at all, or even pay you. Currently, I believe the cost is $950 per credit at Barry. The BMS Courses usually are 3 to 6 credits each, and students often take between 6-12 credits on average; this is dependent upon the specific track within the program the student is admitted to.
BOXERRUMBEL is correct; the wet tissue specimens for Neuroanatomy were taken back by the Podiatry school. I will not go into gossip-speculations. Nationally (for almost ever professional school including the U of Miami Medical) there is a shortage for cadavers for anatomy, so I'm not sure this is an issue specific to this program.

Lectures are taught by a professor, and these professors are all very reachable by email or in person. At the new site, the program is choosing to offer "distance learning," which will be a web-cam style lecture for those students who cannot make it to class. I know that University of Maryland has this for some of its lectures. Depending on you as a student and the professor, one may even have a more personal means of contact like cell phone. Additionally, the administrative staff members in the BMS Office are quite helpful and do attempt to help students. I recommend getting to know the staff anywhere you are; since, when people feel personally connected or involved with another person they are most likely to go the extra mile to help out.

If a student feels that he/she needs to "go somewhere more organized and helpful," then I'm not sure they are prepared for graduate school. Graduate school is a very independent period of student, past the period of whining and complaining as undergraduate professors hold our hands. I believe there is only a few faculty members who are dedicated solely to BMS Courses. There are other BMS faculty who do teach for other programs within Barry University (Podiatry, Nursing, Cardiovascular Perfusion, Biology), so some students may feel that this creates a disorganized appearance to the faculty--not having only BMS dedicated faculty. Nevertheless, the BMS staff is helpful and things are organized, but I believe the steps and changes involved with the program as it attempts to grow and expand create an unstable feeling among some students that would lend them to feel that it is "unorganized".

The former director was a very nice and helpful mentor to many students; I know personally that his mission was to create a more challenging and resputable program that enabled students to excel in professional school. Still, during his time here, there were many students who would complain about him or his methods of teaching. Not every student will like a professor/director. The new interim director is also a very kind and approachable gentleman. He is also the Director of the Nurse Anesthetist program, which will be sharing space with the BMS Program at the new Hollywood site in the Spring. His name is Dr. McFadden, and he is very reachable. Although he is not always in his office (perhaps away at administrative meetings), he stays in contact via email, cell or in person if you pass him in the halls. That's a key point. The professors will stop and talk to you about life, your recent test/test score, questions about material, application process, etc..if you pass them on campus, so again, the personal nature of the program is pretty valuable, especially when you're looking for new, updated LORs.

I support BOXER's advice to research the numerous post-undergraduate programs out there. Decide if a POST-BACC, CERTIFICATE or MASTERS program best suit you and your goals. Then look at that type of program to see if it satisfies your interest, your finances, and your sense of comfort (geography), and dental school admissions offices' expectations.

I believe Boston University has a pretty good M.A. program in Oral Sciences. There is a similar program also at Creighton University. Additionally, NOVA Southeastern has a BMS program of its own.

Hope this helps and provides a more fair assessment of the program.

The BMS program is designed similar to a 1st year medical/dental school program. I'm currently a student in the program. The classes are challenging and I'm actually glad that Iwent through this program first. I'm not sure if I would have done well in medical school if I would have went straight from undergrad. Some of my friends who have already started medical school are truly grateful. There first year is nowhere near as tough as it would have been without these classes. Neuroanatomy, Gross Anatomy, and Biochem are more like review for them now. We have a new director, Dr. John McFadden; and he's great. He truly has an "open door" policy. He's also a great advisor when you feel you need guidance. If you are truly serious about improving your GPA and/or your MCAT or DAT scores. This program will help you achieve that. Just be warned that the classes are not going to be like undergrad; you will seriously have to buckle down and work. Hope this helps......(feel free to ask any other questions)

Thanks for sharing your experiences chesscat. Also, how do you find your commute from one campus to the other in terms of time and traffic?

The BMS program is designed similar to a 1st year medical/dental school program. I'm currently a student in the program. The classes are challenging and I'm actually glad that Iwent through this program first. I'm not sure if I would have done well in medical school if I would have went straight from undergrad. Some of my friends who have already started medical school are truly grateful. There first year is nowhere near as tough as it would have been without these classes. Neuroanatomy, Gross Anatomy, and Biochem are more like review for them now. We have a new director, Dr. John McFadden; and he's great. He truly has an "open door" policy. He's also a great advisor when you feel you need guidance. If you are truly serious about improving your GPA and/or your MCAT or DAT scores. This program will help you achieve that. Just be warned that the classes are not going to be like undergrad; you will seriously have to buckle down and work. Hope this helps......(feel free to ask any other questions)

Chesscat: Are you in the 1 year or 18 month track? What is the class schedule like for both of these programs? Are the classes during the day or in the evenings? Is it possible to work while in this program. Thank you for any insight!

Duvaldentist,

It was only a few years ago that I stood in similar shoes myself, and I think it's great you've begun to be so proactive on SDN already. I caught wind of your post, and I hope that I can help share some information about the BMS Program at Barry University that can help you as well as other interested readers make the best decision possible for their education and career.

I will speak from my personal experience and hope that any bias I have will be diluted by including the experiences of some of my close peers. However, allow me to premise all of this with this: any program is what YOU make it--no matter how much it may change or not change its courses, faculty, locations.

The Biomedical Science Program at Barry University in Miami Shores offers a Masters of Science. The MS is received after a 1 year, 18 month, or 2 year track that is determined depending upon your undergraduate performance, background and MCAT/DAT. There is a comprehensive exam or thesis choice for completion of the program. The degree in and of itself is seemingly becoming necessary in order to score a decent job today, and is becoming a valued asset for dental school applicants according to Deans of Admissions along the eastern seaboard at least. The program offers students a chance to take the same/similar courses offered in most professional (Medical/Dental/Podiatry/Pharmacy) schools at a what would be a "slower" pace. The value in this structure is that students are able to dedicate the time to owning the material beforethem that will serve not only to help them pass their Board Exams later on but to improve/save lives when working as a professional. One may suppose that this "additional" time students are afforded in the masters program as opposed to professional school allows them to better understand the material, which then translates to better grades on exams and your transcript. Therefore, I would not label the program as a so-called grade booster.

Graduate students live in apartments nearby campus usually in South Beach, Aventura, Sunny Isles, Miami Shores, North Miami, North Miami Beach most often. There are also students who commute from Kendall, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Davie, and other South Florida towns and cities. There is no graduate student housing at Barry. Some students work on campus or off campus. On campus employment exists in other graduate departments, administrative offices and research labs and is usually awarded to students who choose to actively pursue this option. Barry is a private university, so you're going to pay a little more.

The student body enrolled in Barry's program is quite diverse in regards of ethnicity, religion, education background, age, etc. It's truly an international educational environment. In fact, I believe Barry University has made headlines a few times for being one of the most diverse campuses.

Keeping with the topic of diversity, educational background plays appears to influence the degree to which students judge the program as challenging. I have learned quite a bit from my courses; since, my bachelors of arts was outside the field of natural science (even though I completed all the pre-requisites for dental school). Other students with an intensive biomedical/biochemistry background may find some courses to be a walk-in-the park.

In the Spring of 2012, the BMS Program will be relocating to a new site about 10 miles up the road in Hollywood, FL. This means that the program will no longer be centered at the main Miami Shores campus where Podiatry, Nursing, PA and undergraduate students are. There still will be a few courses (ex: Human Gross Anatomy Lab) taking place at the Miami Shores campus due to laboratory requirements.

Depending on the program and the particular institution, graduate programs may cost a lot, nothing at all, or even pay you. Currently, I believe the cost is $950 per credit at Barry. The BMS Courses usually are 3 to 6 credits each, and students often take between 6-12 credits on average; this is dependent upon the specific track within the program the student is admitted to.
BOXERRUMBEL is correct; the wet tissue specimens for Neuroanatomy were taken back by the Podiatry school. I will not go into gossip-speculations. Nationally (for almost ever professional school including the U of Miami Medical) there is a shortage for cadavers for anatomy, so I'm not sure this is an issue specific to this program.

Lectures are taught by a professor, and these professors are all very reachable by email or in person. At the new site, the program is choosing to offer "distance learning," which will be a web-cam style lecture for those students who cannot make it to class. I know that University of Maryland has this for some of its lectures. Depending on you as a student and the professor, one may even have a more personal means of contact like cell phone. Additionally, the administrative staff members in the BMS Office are quite helpful and do attempt to help students. I recommend getting to know the staff anywhere you are; since, when people feel personally connected or involved with another person they are most likely to go the extra mile to help out.

If a student feels that he/she needs to "go somewhere more organized and helpful," then I'm not sure they are prepared for graduate school. Graduate school is a very independent period of student, past the period of whining and complaining as undergraduate professors hold our hands. I believe there is only a few faculty members who are dedicated solely to BMS Courses. There are other BMS faculty who do teach for other programs within Barry University (Podiatry, Nursing, Cardiovascular Perfusion, Biology), so some students may feel that this creates a disorganized appearance to the faculty--not having only BMS dedicated faculty. Nevertheless, the BMS staff is helpful and things are organized, but I believe the steps and changes involved with the program as it attempts to grow and expand create an unstable feeling among some students that would lend them to feel that it is "unorganized".

The former director was a very nice and helpful mentor to many students; I know personally that his mission was to create a more challenging and resputable program that enabled students to excel in professional school. Still, during his time here, there were many students who would complain about him or his methods of teaching. Not every student will like a professor/director. The new interim director is also a very kind and approachable gentleman. He is also the Director of the Nurse Anesthetist program, which will be sharing space with the BMS Program at the new Hollywood site in the Spring. His name is Dr. McFadden, and he is very reachable. Although he is not always in his office (perhaps away at administrative meetings), he stays in contact via email, cell or in person if you pass him in the halls. That's a key point. The professors will stop and talk to you about life, your recent test/test score, questions about material, application process, etc..if you pass them on campus, so again, the personal nature of the program is pretty valuable, especially when you're looking for new, updated LORs.

I support BOXER's advice to research the numerous post-undergraduate programs out there. Decide if a POST-BACC, CERTIFICATE or MASTERS program best suit you and your goals. Then look at that type of program to see if it satisfies your interest, your finances, and your sense of comfort (geography), and dental school admissions offices' expectations.

I believe Boston University has a pretty good M.A. program in Oral Sciences. There is a similar program also at Creighton University. Additionally, NOVA Southeastern has a BMS program of its own.

Hope this helps and provides a more fair assessment of the program.
This is a very good explanation (as I attempt to resurrect this response). I have just been accepted to this program starting this fall. I am really interested in accepting the offer. However, I am curious about finding work and living arrangements. I'm from Tennessee where the cost of living is pretty decent I believe. The apartment prices are very expensive. Any help on finding jobs and inexpensive apartments near barry. I do not mind commuting a 15-20 min drive per day. Please Help if you can. Thanks

This is a very good explanation (as I attempt to resurrect this response). I have just been accepted to this program starting this fall. I am really interested in accepting the offer. However, I am curious about finding work and living arrangements. I'm from Tennessee where the cost of living is pretty decent I believe. The apartment prices are very expensive. Any help on finding jobs and inexpensive apartments near barry. I do not mind commuting a 15-20 min drive per day. Please Help if you can. Thanks

I would suggest not working, as only very few people in the program did, and the few that did had their grades suffer because of it. If your going to Barry I assume its your last shot at dental school so I think the cost of loans is worth the time you gain by not having a job, especially when you get a week with 3 tests.

I found a lady through the Barry main website on off campus student housing. I rented a room in a house with 4 other graduate students (she only rented to grads) it was all furnished for $675 and included everything from washer dryer, free cable/internet/utilities/etc. Cheaper than any apartment. I can give you her contact, she has a few places. They are located by the main campus but Hollywood is only 15 minutes up I95. Plus, the library at the main campus is where most of us studied as the Hollywood campus closes early.

I think you will enjoy your time there, you will meet great people and greatly improve your stats if you work hard. Feel free to PM me.

Does anybody know how the Barry master's program compares to USF? Neither really provide any statistical information on how many actually end up accepted to med schools.. anyhow, I'm trying to decide which to attend in the fall. Help please! :)