What Is Your New Years Resolution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Is Your New Years Resolution?

• Weight Loss

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Exercise/Fitness

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Studying

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Spend More Time with Family/Friends

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Save Money/Decrease Debt

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Achieve a Work or School Goal

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Spiritual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Multiple

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I missed this for the January poll last year, but we'll make up for it now. And happy New Years to everyone.

I want to be more diligent about studying and going to the gym. I've figured out a way to do the former, which entails getting up at an ungodly hour so that I can study before work. I've been consistently hitting my target amount of study time per week for the last month so so, which I think is pretty darn good considering that I've been on an ICU rotation this month. But I'm still working on the latter, so exercise is what I'm going to pick for my official resolution.

Members don't see this ad.

Once I commit to a medical school I will sign up for my first lifting comp in the area. Shooting for a December date for obvious reasons.

I've been working hard to dial in my diet with some help, and now I've ponied up and gotten someone to help fine tune my workouts now that I'm ready to push my 1 rep max. Work smarter, not harder. I've gone from sleeping in late to getting up at dark o' thirty to fit my lifting sessions in and now prefer to workout in the morning. :laugh:

I really just wanted to squat 225 and get into medical school before my birthday in May and it looks like I might get just that. Right now I'm at 215.

Happy new year everyone!

Exercise more regularly
Study Spanish

Happy New Year! 2012 year of the Dragon, leap year, and the year I start med school :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a lonely year of hermitude. I resolve to meet a nursing student. :cool:

Become more studious and get a life to enjoy.

Sent from my C5120 using Tapatalk

I plan to hit the gym regularly so that I can lose my goal of 25lbs:), work hard on bringing my gpa up, save some money, travel a little more, and just enjoy life!

I plan on recommiting myself to my marriage, somewhere along the line between life and work we've lost each other :(

I'd love to reconnect with my best friend, but I fear that may not be possible

I am determined to break out of this funk verging on depression. And The challenge of premed courses are just what I need! I am taking Physics 1 and working full time with a preschooler and messy home. Its just one course but with my job, thats almost too much..

I also plan on finally being "rostered" or drafted to a local roller derby team!

Make some "friends" on SDN :)

Not so much a resolution as much as continuing on the journeys I have already started - weight loss, school (finally getting back to finishing my undergraduate degree), better financial health.

Here's to the next year!!

Recommitting myself to improve in my classes. Pretty boring, I know. :)

I hope to be closer to my friends and family,
to continue to do well in school,
to dream of making my goals reality,
to take action on those goals,
to lose 5 lbs so I can fit into THAT dress,
to write for the sheer joy of writing :)

To a new year everyone :)

I plan on recommiting myself to my marriage, somewhere along the line between life and work we've lost each other :(

I'd love to reconnect with my best friend, but I fear that may not be possible

I am determined to break out of this funk verging on depression. And The challenge of premed courses are just what I need! I am taking Physics 1 and working full time with a preschooler and messy home. Its just one course but with my job, thats almost too much..

I also plan on finally being "rostered" or drafted to a local roller derby team!

Make some "friends" on SDN :)

Sorry to hear about your marriage, may it improve to your desires this year. Here's some :luck::luck::luck: but you don't need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I resolve to get a job this year (yes, for IM you look during second year/beginning of third).
To work to be a better wife and mother (always on the list)
To be a better physician.
Once I get the job in #1 above, I'm going to buy a treadmill and start taking pilates classes.
To find a personal physician (I hate doctors. Actually I hate being the patient.)
To reduce debt once I get the job above.
To help my daughter find her dream college.
To walk my dogs more often.
Eat healthier.
Have more patience.
Not lose track of those few friends in my life.

Sorry to hear about your marriage, may it improve to your desires this year. Here's some :luck::luck::luck: but you don't need it.
Thank you so much. Its been difficult, but I'm hopeful things will improve.

I resolve to get a job this year (yes, for IM you look during second year/beginning of third).
To work to be a better wife and mother (always on the list)
To be a better physician.
Once I get the job in #1 above, I'm going to buy a treadmill and start taking pilates classes.
To find a personal physician (I hate doctors. Actually I hate being the patient.)
To reduce debt once I get the job above.
To help my daughter find her dream college.
To walk my dogs more often.
Eat healthier.
Have more patience.
Not lose track of those few friends in my life.
Your goals seem similar to mine. It seems like I've "lost" so many friends and I dont even know it until Im stressed or happy and I go to pick up the phone... and I'm not sure who to call. :(

Stop cramming for exams and start studying earlier. Wish me luck.

I voted lose weight before I saw the multiple option. :laugh:

Otherwise, I'm starting a 12 month accelerated post-bacc program next week so my other goal is academic to rock it!

My overall resolution is to continue doing awesome in regards to my "path to med school" plan, without developing tunnel vision and ignoring the fact that I should try to have a normal life as well. Some specific goals I have to accomplish this are:

Finish ALS precepting
Spend two nights a month hanging out with friends
Join a CrossFit gym and lose 10 lbs.
Run another marathon & complete an olympic distance triathlon
Learn one new song on the guitar every month

A little sad that I have to put my hobbies & friends on this list, but if I don't then school / work will monopolize all my time. I hope somebody remembers to revive this topic at the end of the year so we can all see what everybody accomplishes.

Happy New Year everyone - here's to a great 2012! :D

I had 2 and I KNOW many people on SDN can relate to these on some level

#1. Stop taking on too much at one time (yea...cause pre-meds never do that and med students NEVER EVER do that one :laugh:) I have a tendency to take on everything that comes my way and I don't say no to people. This started t oget to me over the past year and in the end I closed down my daycare business because the balancing act of doing that from 0600-1800 5 days a week plus school plus taking care of the home and being a mom/wife was exhausting. I didn't need to have a business, I wanted to have one. So no more of that...family and school comes first, everything and everyone else can wait in line.

#2. Do not try and control every situation uhh..I am not "bossy" or mean, but well...I was in the military before and I was good at it. Some of that has stayed with me and I tend to become the leader in many situations whether it is social, school related, fixing something so on and so forth. I decided that sometimes I need to step back and let others take the reigns sometimes, especially in situations that do not really matter. I will let that leadership come through when it is necessary and important such as something school related. This will also demonstrate to people that I trust them more. My nickname is actually somewhat related to this. I have the nickname LupaCupcake because some people joke that I am like a Lupa wolf. I can't be called an alpha dog because in wolf packs the alpha is only male, the Lupa is the highest "ranking" female wolf within the pack and I actually growl when I am really really irritated. Don't laugh at me! It is not loud, it is very short and I don't mean to...it is just something I got from my mom lol. Oh and the cupcake part is because my husband started calling me his cupcake when we were in our 1st year of marriage and it is my favorite petname from him *insert corny blushing*

That is it. I figured that was enough and when I told my husband he went :wow: you don't realize how much you just claimed. These will be huge for you. I don't try to control him btw in case you are thinking I am a controlling wife:laugh:. He would never let that happen :p we both have a respect for the other one being somewhat dominant minded and it works well for us although we used to butt heads over it, we have learned which areas to let the other one take the reigns and which areas need to be split down the middle. :D

Get 4.0s in my classes this year (first school in ages!). I know it may not be possible given my situation and what professor I end up with and how they teach/grade, but it's a goal :)

Last edited:
Not so much of a resolution. As a foray into self-hypnosis.

There is nothing interesting but medicine. I have no other interest than medicine. Medicine is fascinating. My muse. Night nurse. The diety that sends me forth. Not for this world. But for the next. Where lots better and more interesting stuff will happen. Or something.