Since I took a lot of help from posters in this forum...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white fang

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the boards but have read a lot on this site, especially the DAT section. Thanks to you all I found the right resources and didn't buy Kaplans program. I ended up doing well on the real deal, so I thought I would give a quick little breakdown of materials that I used.

Chad's videos - best suggestion I took from this site was getting his videos. It saved me a lot of time and helped me feel confident in material I hadn't see for a little while or at all. I really liked the quizes he has on the site as well, good representation of the real questions. It really is the best foundation I found for general and organic chemistry.

DAT Destroyer - I branched out from Chad's videos w/ DAT Destroyer. I thought Destroyer was great, especially organic chemistry...being able to do every problem in Destroyer for organic chemistry meant being able to do every problem for the real DAT correctly. It seemed a little too hard for general chemistry, a little too complex. For general chemistry I thought chad's quiz questions were a better use of time. For Biology DAT Destroyer was a good way to study on the last day. Good explanations, but you should have learned the fundamentals before doing these questions.

Cliffs AP bio and Barrons AP Bio were how I prepared for the biology section. I also used DAT Q-vault. I re-read both AP bio books several times and did all the questions in both. They were both great prep. I did q-vault in between. Q-vault had material that I don't think the real DAT covers...it had too many anatomy questions (like about bones) but overall it was great. It underestimated my real score by about 3 points.

Crack DAT PAT - this was all I did for the PAT and it was fine. My average score over the last 5 tests was the score I got on the real DAT.

Math Destroyer - I used this as my only prep for math (I didn't use QR in DAT Destroyer) and that was plenty. I have always been average at math, but this helped me be quicker and it got me a good score on test day. I took all the tests in 45 minutes even if I couldn't finish them and used that to estimate my progress then I would finish the problems I didn't have time for after.

RC - I didn't prepare for except using Topscore Pro

Topscore Pro - I did these 3 practice tests. I thought they were too hard on biology, too hard on GC, just right on OC, too easy on PAT, just right on QR and RC. That is not to say they are a perfect representation of the real test, but the scores that I got were pretty close to the real thing except for the sciences. Overall, since the sciences were too low, my real score ended up being 2 points higher than my best topscore for AA and 3 points higher than my best topscore for TS.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know...but otherwise thanks for the advice you gave me even if you didn't know you were giving it to me!

Edit: Thought I would add in my scores since this dude linked me to a blog, might as well make the breakdown more useful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for your info. For the math destroyer, I am always short on time (40Qs on 45min) and getting 6-10 questions wrong.. just practicing will get me through this?

Thanks for your info. For the math destroyer, I am always short on time (40Qs on 45min) and getting 6-10 questions wrong.. just practicing will get me through this?

I think practicing is about all you can do, but getting 30-34 right is better than I was doing and on the DAT I got a 21 on QR. I think that you are in good shape because Math destroyer was harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
your analysis on topscore was exactly how i felt on test day. also, you are a smarter person than me for not getting the kaplan course. i felt like it was a huge waste of time while i was in the class - its a condensed review for 1200 dollars basically. Chads is far more helpful and i think cheaper.

Hey everyone, I am new to the boards but have read a lot on this site, especially the DAT section. Thanks to you all I found the right resources and didn't buy Kaplans program. I ended up doing well on the real deal, so I thought I would give a quick little breakdown of materials that I used.

Chad's videos - best suggestion I took from this site was getting his videos. It saved me a lot of time and helped me feel confident in material I hadn't see for a little while or at all. I really liked the quizes he has on the site as well, good representation of the real questions. It really is the best foundation I found for general and organic chemistry.

DAT Destroyer - I branched out from Chad's videos w/ DAT Destroyer. I thought Destroyer was great, especially organic chemistry...being able to do every problem in Destroyer for organic chemistry meant being able to do every problem for the real DAT correctly. It seemed a little too hard for general chemistry, a little too complex. For general chemistry I thought chad's quiz questions were a better use of time. For Biology DAT Destroyer was a good way to study on the last day. Good explanations, but you should have learned the fundamentals before doing these questions.

Cliffs AP bio and Barrons AP Bio were how I prepared for the biology section. I also used DAT Q-vault. I re-read both AP bio books several times and did all the questions in both. They were both great prep. I did q-vault in between. Q-vault had material that I don't think the real DAT covers...it had too many anatomy questions (like about bones) but overall it was great. It underestimated my real score by about 3 points.

Crack DAT PAT - this was all I did for the PAT and it was fine. My average score over the last 5 tests was the score I got on the real DAT.

Math Destroyer - I used this as my only prep for math (I didn't use QR in DAT Destroyer) and that was plenty. I have always been average at math, but this helped me be quicker and it got me a good score on test day. I took all the tests in 45 minutes even if I couldn't finish them and used that to estimate my progress then I would finish the problems I didn't have time for after.

RC - I didn't prepare for except using Topscore Pro

Topscore Pro - I did these 3 practice tests. I thought they were too hard on biology, too hard on GC, just right on OC, too easy on PAT, just right on QR and RC. That is not to say they are a perfect representation of the real test, but the scores that I got were pretty close to the real thing except for the sciences. Overall, since the sciences were too low, my real score ended up being 2 points higher than my best topscore for AA and 3 points higher than my best topscore for TS.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know...but otherwise thanks for the advice you gave me even if you didn't know you were giving it to me!

Edit: Thought I would add in my scores since this dude linked me to a blog, might as well make the breakdown more useful.

I remember you were saying you used DatQvault for QR. Did you find it useful and was it on par with real DAT? How about Datqvault for Gen Chem and Orgo chem; are they a harder, easier or on par with the real DAT? Thanks

Great and very useful information. Thank you.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I remember you were saying you used DatQvault for QR. Did you find it useful and was it on par with real DAT? How about Datqvault for Gen Chem and Orgo chem; are they a harder, easier or on par with the real DAT? Thanks

I used these resources when they were in beta, so I don't know if they have changed since then. My answers only speak to how I felt at the time I used them.

I thought QR was very good with DATQvault. It was similar to what I saw on the real test in terms of content and score. My estimated DAT Score was usually 20-22 on examily (datquvalt) if I remember right and I got a 21 QR on the real test.

Gen Chem I thought DAT Quvalt was very good on. Depending on the test, it seemed slightly harder or easier but overall was a good indicator of the real test, again in terms of material covered and score.

O-Chem - at the time O-chem seemed to hard, but not way off. It was way off in terms of estimated score (it usually estimated I would get a 19 and I got a 27) but the content was similar. There were just too many hard questions in each test rather than mostly simple problems like there are on the real DAT. This could have changed since then, since I spoke to the owner of the site and he was aware that it was too hard.

Hope that helps, I really liked DATQvault!

I really like Datqvault as well though there are some mistakes.

What does AP Barrons have that Cliffs does not? I found Barrons lacking some information.

What does AP Barrons have that Cliffs does not? I found Barrons lacking some information.

Curious what you found Barron's lacking?

It has been a couple months since I read either one and have since given both away so I don't remember specifically but I thought they were both pretty comprehensive.

I found the writing style of Barron's easier to read quickly and retain.