Podiatry vs Ortho Pissing Contest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiz knot

Legendary Dr. X
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aaaaaaaaaaannnnnd... FIGHT!!!

Members don't see this ad.

That's so yesterday man. Can't we all live in harmony.

Members don't see this ad :)
tumblr_lmd6nvez1m1qafrh6.gif

I think podiatrists are better at forefoot surgery because it takes an orthopod 20 minutes to do a bunion, and it takes a podiatrist 45. A thorough knowledge of the anatomy and layered dissection and closure really helps the long term outcomes.

I think orthopedists are better high energy trauma surgeons because they get more experience in this area in all different parts of the body. Sometimes "stick a frame on it" is a perfectly good plan where ORIF is too risky.

I think anybody can do an uncomplicated ankle fracture, those are very straightforward most of the time. Malalignment of fracture fragments is a possible complication, but the overall prognosis is more determined by the articular damage and often even a perfect reduction becomes a moot point.

Fire away, but these are my opinions.

I think podiatrists are better at forefoot surgery because it takes an orthopod 20 minutes to do a bunion, and it takes a podiatrist 45. A thorough knowledge of the anatomy and layered dissection and closure really helps the long term outcomes.

I think orthopedists are better high energy trauma surgeons because they get more experience in this area in all different parts of the body. Sometimes "stick a frame on it" is a perfectly good plan where ORIF is too risky.

I think anybody can do an uncomplicated ankle fracture, those are very straightforward most of the time. Malalignment of fracture fragments is a possible complication, but the overall prognosis is more determined by the articular damage and often even a perfect reduction becomes a moot point.

Fire away, but these are my opinions.

says the podiatry student. You guys are a bunch of underachievers, hence why you're podiatrists and not md's/dentists. No one has a calling to devote their lives to feet.

says the podiatry student. You guys are a bunch of underachievers, hence why you're podiatrists and not md's/dentists. No one has a calling to devote their lives to feet.

but people have a calling to devote themselves to teeth?

but people have a calling to devote themselves to teeth?

You do realize that you are in the Orthopedic Surgery Forum. Such that, orthopedists deal with disorders of bones, joints and the musculoskeletal system. Please tell me you understand that.... You've got to be kidding, right?

You do realize that you are in the Orthopedic Surgery Forum. Such that, orthopedists deal with disorders of bones, joints and the musculoskeletal system. Please tell me you understand that.... You've got to be kidding, right?

Ser Demetrius made the critical error of saying "and not md's/dentists." So... While i'm sure we all know what forum we're in, it does seem odd to say no one has a calling for feet, but someone has a calling for teeth.

Nice try though, Hanky. You just need to read the originally quoted post more thoroughly i suppose.

no worries hanky. I give you the benefit of the doubt that you have a busy life because you are a resident and so you probably don't have time to read through everything :thumbup:

I wonder if you've scrubbed several foot and ankle surgeries. I have had the privilege of scrubbing several ortho and podiatry F/A cases, and so my opinion is based on experience. I would love to hear a logical or experienced based argument or opinion that counteracts my statement other than "you guys are stupid".