Snack ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road2Success

Village drunk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys usually eat or munch on between classes? Looking for some ideas because my current ones are making me sleepy and crash. Taking a night class at the community college so i'm usually starved and the vending machine snacks doesn't suffice my hunger.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys usually eat or munch on between classes? Looking for some ideas because my current ones are making me sleepy and crash. Taking a night class at the community college so i'm usually starved and the vending machine snacks doesn't suffice my hunger.

always eat healthy food and CONSERVE energy whenever you know your going to need endurance. Thats my trick. For example, if you have 4-5 tests in a week, sitting up all night and studying your ass off is only going to burn you out for the terminal exams, instead get 8 hours of sleep. In terms of snacking, try to snack on healthy stuff that won't slow you down. Stay away from carbonated drinks, go with vitamin water, etc. Solids? Nutrigran bars, Special K, etc. I've been following this regimin and i hardly ever get tired, im doing 5 courses atm, research, and volunteering.

Nuts. Or anything that has protein and carbs--greek yogurt and cereal, hummus and pita, apple and peanut butter. Protein will help keep you from "crashing" later in the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eat like you're going for a six-pack.

hi_chew.jpg

For the love of all that is good don't drink and energy drink a few hours before a 5 hour organic chemistry lab! I crashed so hard.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on a pretty Paleo diet so I stick with raw foods, fruits/veggies. They are easy to snack on and no crash later. My go to foods:

1) Baby carrots
2) Strawberries
3) Cucumber slices
4) Jerky (the not seasoned or corn syrupy Jack Links kind)
5) Boiled eggs

I swear that these little snacks really improve my study performance and function. Try and nix sugary drinks and substitute for coconut water or tea. I've become a study machine like this.

Kalahari Bars are amazing if you can find them. I haven't seen em in a couple years.

My go-to snacks are Greek yogurt with honey, granola, and dried mango.

Side note: Release your inner health nut!

strawberries, carrots, curved yellow fruit, orange round fruit, yogurt, baked potato, salad, ensalada, the french way of saying salad, greek yogurt (minus the man juice), assorted items you'd find on the trail (still looking for that M&M bush), gogart, sushi, peas, individual grains of rice, oats, oatmeal, snozberries, cherries, cherry tomatoes, rotten tomatoes, dates, hummus, peta chips, grapes, red grapes, sliced turkey meat, foliage

Eat like you're going for a six-pack.

I usually have a carb-loaded meal before I drink a six-pack. I don't think that'll work. Have you considered fruit? :p

In all seriousness... fruits/veggies are good if you have somewhere to store them. If you're going for portability, a protein bar (Clif, Larabar, etc.) is probably the way to go. Fruit leather is always a solid choice, too, if you can find the no sugar added variety.

I usually go with cut veggies, lunabars/kashi protein bars, fruit, or greek yogurt with raw oats, a dash of granola, and sliced almonds. Keep the fat to a minimum, as it will make you feel sluggish. Unfortunately, fatty food is soooo appealing when you're up at 2am studying :(

wow you guys and gals are intense.

I just have rice. All day every day. And Rice Krispies, all day every other day.

I swear by Shaklee snack bars and Meal bars. Low in calories and super high in protein. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without them!

Sunflower seeds, almonds, edamame beans, craisins. Also, drinkable yogurts. I've carried that one over from elementary school...
enhanced-buzz-31445-1313697278-23.jpg

This is just a ridiculous thread.

By the Gods, why haven't I ever heard of these magical treats?

I live off of Nature Valley bars (the crunchy ones), fruit snacks, and Mountain Dew.

Ohhh, yeah. The nature valley bars in the green box are the best.

now i feel bad. i get my sugar free monster, pack of lifesavers, pack of chewy runts/gobstoppers, diet dr. pepper, and large water and im good to go for hours. of course im an ass towards the end of the study session but its delicious

now i feel bad. i get my sugar free monster, pack of lifesavers, pack of chewy runts/gobstoppers, diet dr. pepper, and large water and im good to go for hours. of course im an ass towards the end of the study session but its delicious

That is quite the sugary food/sugar-free beverage dichotomy.

I'm a diet soda and Arnold Palmer Zero Half and Half junkie :oops: I understand how you feel!

:thumbup:

the trick is to alternate the sugar and sugar free items. if you are with a buddy, steal some crackers from them when they arent paying attention

my favorite snacks:
-100 calorie packs of 94% fat free popcorn
-mcdougall's miso ramen soup
-green grapes
-clif mojo bars
-kashi cereal

I wonder what people here actually snack on vs. the healthful things they say they snack on. :D

My favorite snacks when I'm studying and have no time to make food:

Green Tea
1 Cliff bar
Peeled almonds
Pomegranate
Carrot juice
Assortment of fruits and veggies

If it's one of those days where I opt for non-healthy stuff and need sugar:

Caramel frappuccino (no whip cream)
Chocolate covered peanuts or M&Ms
Gummy worms
Snickers/Skittles/Gobstoppers
ICE CREAM! (coffee, cookies 'n cream, or chocolate chip)

Usually a bag of lays potato chips or a three musketeers...mmmmm

I love Luna bars, Greek yogurt, celery and peanut butter, dried mango, hummus and pita chips, flax seed chips and salsa, string cheese, etc.

Trader Joes is my favorite place to buy anything! In fact, I contemplated choosing a medical school based on proximity. I still might

On a similar note...

Grapes are my favorite study food. A good pound of grapes makes Kuby immunology much more tolerable.

Bananas & Tortilla Chips (to get that sodium-potatassium pump goin'....hehehe)

I usually prefer 3-5 large meals throughout the day to avoid snacking, but if I lifted in the morning or plan to run at night or the next morning, I like to carb load

If I am in a hurry, I grab high fat foods

High fiber Cereal or oats with flax in the morning is a great way to get a lot of calories quickly in the morning, and tastes nice and filling after a workout

Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and grapes are good too.

Quinoa with chicken and spinach is delicious if you pack it in a Tupperware (grill chicken and cook quinoa in one batch at start of week)

Coffee beans are nice to munch on for a smooth caffeine rush as well

Other random, good food:
Nuts, pita chips, hummus, jerky, whey/carb supp, broccoli, cooked carrots, naked juice, nutty bars

This has worked for me for a few years

I wonder what people here actually snack on vs. the healthful things they say they snack on. :D

:laugh:

By the Gods, why haven't I ever heard of these magical treats?

I live off of Nature Valley bars (the crunchy ones), fruit snacks, and Mountain Dew.

You've never had hi-chews before? You are missing out!

I was a big fan of the Nature Valley bars for a while too, until I dragged myself to finish a wholesale box and can't enjoy them like I use to.