Psych Emergency Services Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me do well. How can I best succeed on a psych ER rotation?

5 of Haldol 2 of Lorazepam and 50 of diphenhydramine? Anything else I need to know?

-hopeful future psychiatrist!

Members don't see this ad.

remember no diphenhydramine if you suspect psychosis is acute PCP intoxication - you could trigger anticholinergic crisis!

never believe a diagnosis of bipolar disorder you didn't make yourself

nobody ever died of opiate withdrawal but...

...GHB/GHL withdrawal can be fatal

if possible have BP checked before giving risperidone - it causes a postural drop

have a high degree of suspicion of malingering in those who presenting 'hearing voices telling me to kill myself'

be on the lookout for signs of escalation and threat of violence (e.g. increasing agitation)

keep yourself safe

seroquel is popular amongst cokeheads to take the edge of coming down - resist supplying (it is also the most useless antipsychotic)

be liberal with your Librium - your alcoholic pt almost certainly underestimated his alcohol intake!

document a good risk assessment in any 'suicidal' patients being discharged

collateral, collateral, collateral!

dont worry about not getting a thorough history - it is an emergency service - have a good HPI (using lots of verbatim quoting in manic/psychotic patients) and a good MSE including scheniderian sx)

enjoy yourself

I know it's not psychiatry but running a psych emergency center is like being a short order cook...

Or being like the guy running the pawn shop on Hardcore Pawn.
http://www.trutv.com/trutv2go/index.html#!/57608

What's going on isn't psychiatry but the same type of tension happens.

Never give benzos unless the patient is in actual real alcohol or benzo withdrawal or the person the person is about to get or is violent. If the person is that give it with an antipsychotic, not by itself. (Exception, patient is having a panic attack in the emergency center that you can visually verify).

YES!!!
never believe a diagnosis of bipolar disorder you didn't make yourself

For me I do know a few psychiatrists that I think are very good and if they made the diagnosis I'd believe it.

I've been discharging a lot of people with a prior diagnosis of bipolar disorder and saying I am not convinced the person has it. I've been citing this article quite a bit.
http://furiousseasons.com/documents/zimmermanpaper.pdf

Further I've been stating even on the witness stand that even before this article was published, the general opinion among several of my colleagues was that it was overdiagnosed and if the court wanted to subpoena them, they'd back me up.

I have on occasion diagnosed someone as malingering but did write down something to the effect of----This patient in my opinion is malingering. I do not believe this person has an Axis I mental illness other than substance abuse although it is possible this person is in between a manic or depressive phase in bipolar disorder. As I mentioned above, with this disorder,a person could be free of mania or depression for possibly even years. Given his history of drug abuse, however, and that bipolar disorder is extremely rare in the population, this patient's symptoms at the time of the incident are much more likely due to illicit substance use or malingering. My opinion is within a reasonable degree of medical certainty."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also

'hearing voices in my head' is NOT an auditory hallucination so please do not treat as such. auditory hallucinations are perceived as external, hearing voices in one's head are false or pseudohallucinations. Whilst they can occur in the context of psychotic illness they are non-psychotic phenomena that usually suggest some sort of dissociative process that chiefly occurs in disorder like borderline personality disorder (during severe interpersonal crises) or PTSD. Do not diagnose as psychotic and do not rx antipsychotics!

*sorry this is a pet peeve of mine - when I was interviewing, there was one place, regarded as one of the 'top' psychiatry programs where a resident made the above mistake which was forgivable, but the attending did not correct him, which in my view was not! This program did not make it onto my rank list*

Last edited:
Thank you for those thoughtful, helpful replies!

The problem with the paper is almost all the patients had schizophrenia, or an affective psychosis, only 2.5% had borderline, no PTSD cases were included, and there was no discussion of the content of the hallucinations. It is likely (As reported) many patients cannot actually discern between the internality or externality of the hallucination in psychosis. The point is there are clearly experiences which are more dissociative (and appear more likely to occur in the context of BPD and PTSD) and are not true hallucinations and should not be treated with antipsychotics. There are certainly non-dissociative experiences of internal voices in the context of schizophrenia or depression etc.

All of the above are good thoughts, except for one thing:
Never say never (or always). Especially as a student.
You're much better off thinking and saying, "I understand it's most common that ______________ , but I'm sure there must be cases where that is not true."

Now for my weekly rambling (feel free to stop reading HERE):

For instance, "voices in my head" can be real Auditory Hallucinations in a truly psychotic patient who is very experienced with psychiatrists and has learned to "short-cut" his symptom description. In the majority of those cases, if you dig for details (if you have the time and if the patient is in low enough distress that he'll tolerate it), you can ask exactly what it sounds like (male/female, volume, phrases, etc.), number of voices and whether that changes, and where it seems to be coming from (front, back, right, left, above, below), what things make it better or easier to ignore. Psychotics will often tell you that hands over ears seems to help some, that music/TV/conversation lessens the intensity, that they generally do Not know of AH during sleep. Since these things are somewhat counter-intuitive for those faking symptoms, fakers will generally give you at least a few opposite answers. Also, when you push for more details, psychotics will eventually give you some "I don't know" answers to what they mean, who they are, etc. Fakers are more likely to give you exact details, apparently thinking "I don't know" will be interpreted as malingering. In the same way that liars often give excessive detail.

So don't take any one symptom or statement as definitive of true vs fake psychosis. Like anything else, the total picture is more important. For instance, in a pt with likely heart attack, would you rule out MI solely on the basis of, "Yeah, it is a little better when I lie flat," or "It seems to be centered just a little right of center?" I doubt it.

For any psychotic complaints, the more like movies and TV the complaint, the less likely it is real - generally. Never say never. But "skulls coming out of the walls," and "tall man all in black with a big hat" and "red eyes" are things that get audience attention, but are not very common among those with schizophrenia.

However, "shadows moving" and "ninjas in the trees" and "I can hear the people outside saying they can get in here and get to me" and "they'll pretend to be patients or even staff to get inside here to get me," "no matter where I run, they seem to have people there to try and get me. I've been running all night, through yards and even strangers' houses to try and get away," are pretty common complaints of stimulant-driven psychosis. It seems that methamphetamine causes paranoid interpretation of normal stimuli, like shadows and fluttering leaves, into full-blow visual and auditory hallucinations. And these people will decide someone around them (you, peers, housekeepers) is one of the enemy and believe they have to attack to prevent being killed. Watch these folks closely.
I almost got attacked for nonchalantly asking, "Did you see the ninjas in the trees?" because that meant I was either reading his thoughts or I was one of them. I'm an IDIOT!
He'd already admitted that meth was probably driving his experience, and I could have said, "It seems that meth can cause the visual cortex of the brain to change small and constantly changing visual patterns into something sinister, like fluttering shadows of leaves in a tree begin to look like people slipping in and out of those shadows while trying to hide. Have you seen anything like that?" But, no. I had to try and be clever.

If you suspect that Suicidal Ideation is about not wanting to continue a difficult situation (conditional SI) rather than about wanting/needing to die, ask about it in a way that encourages them to identify the conditionality of the SI. "I don't have any beds open here tonight, so I don't think there's going to be any way for you to stay here." (Thus, apparently closing off this avenue.) "But if I could find a way to get you a motel voucher, or something like that, would you still need to die? 'Cause if I can't convince them that you'll be safe in a motel or rooming house or something, I'll have even the slightest chance of getting it. So, if I could get a social worker to arrange some sort of emergency housing, can you convince me you wouldn't hurt yourself while you're there? Yeah, good. Tell me how you're sure you won't hurt yourself in someplace like that. Convince me."

Remember, some of your residents and attendings are Not particularly adept at Emergency Psychiatry; they're involuntarily rotating, just like you. So even if you present the most compelling case for why you believe this person is not psychotic, or conditionally suicidal, or even just hiding out from a police search, your supervisor may not feel comfortable taking any sort of chances. A number of colleagues working in psych emergency tell me, "If he says the word 'suicide,' I just admit him and let the inpatient team figure it out. It's not my job to decide if it's real or not." I sorta thing that IS their job, but I'll never convince them of it.
So, if you are presenting a case for exaggerating/malingering/med-seeking, always temper your presentation with something like, "Now, I know full-well there's a chance this is all real or that, even if it's not real, that there's still a risk of something bad happening, so maybe it's just better to admit him. I certainly don't have the experience to know that." That way, an overly cautious resident or attending will not think you are a careless and dangerous fool.

As for emergency injectable meds:
In most states, you would be remiss to inject a patient (unless he is willing), if he will take medications PO - UNLESS there is immediate obvious serious danger. Yelling does not generally count as an immediate danger.

Haldol is often fine. 5 or 10mg. 2mg in frail, elderly, sick. With something to prevent EPS (cogentin, benadryl, hydroxyzine). With or without Ativan. Dose by size. If the pt says he is allergic to Haldol, better to choose another. I remember a paper a Long time ago showing that in cases of stated Haldol allergy, 80% had a documented dystonic reaction IF you looked far enough back in the records. [If someone has other evidence, PLEASE comment]

There are other typical injectables.
- Prolixin isn't much different from Haldol, but if you're not especially afraid of reactions in this pt, and the pt will happily accept anything other than "Haldol," then it's worth trying.
- Thorazine can often be used alone, b/c of more sedation, somewhat less risk of EPS. Be careful if you don't know hydration status or other drugs or medical hx, because it does drop BP.

Atypical injectables:
Geodon: 10 or 20 mg. Paper evidence is good and some really like it. Others don't think it works well. Medical ER's in my area seem to like it a lot. Takes an extra 2-3 min. or so to re-constitute it by mixing water into the vial. Use with Ativan if you need sedation. I don't have evidence on how often EPS results from the IM, but my experience has been that it's less likely than with Haldol, so I don't always use an anticholinergic.

Zyprexa: 5 or 10mg is usu. plenty. Some people will use 20mg. Lower chance of EPS. Often can use it alone. PDR warning against using it with injectable Ativan for synergistic effect of sedation. So if I think I need additional sedation, I add benadryl/atarax, but I have to admit this is sometimes more for staff confidence about a large or very dangerous pt. They will be so afraid of using only one injection on dangerous pt, that will make official complaints about the physician "causing" and incident or injury 6, 8, 10 hrs later because the physician supposedly refused to properly medicate the patient. And they somehow think Haldol is more better for such situations than anything else - and will look for a way to try and prove that. There's little pharmacologic reason to add an antihistamine to Zyprexa. Mostly, we can use Zyprexa alone. Again, ER's in the area are liking it.
Zyprexa can produce over-sedation, triggering a medical emergency, or postural hypotension. IF you have worries, use low dose and you can always repeat in 30 min.
IF the pt gets Zyprexa 10 PO, and then becomes violent before the PO could work, I'll give Zyprexa 5mg IM (plus the antihistamine for sedation), so as not to end up with too much Zyprexa. Or you could give Haldol 5 and Ativan 2. That way, the antihistamine effect of the Zyprexa will help reduce EPS chance from the Haldol, and you have not used the combo of IM Zyprexa and IM Ativan.

No matter what the injectable medicine,
check in on your pt in 10-15 min. Make sure you can get solid, regular pulse, breathing is fine, VS are stable. If possible try to get the pt to take PO fluids. If he's restrained, get a straw. Poor hydration is associated with BAD outcomes in restraint and injectable meds. AND TRY TALKING TO YOUR PATIENT (even if it has to be through the window in the door), since that was the original goal. Document your interaction, and give as much detail about the pt's behavior as possible, including quotes. Don't be afraid to quote curse words from the pt. To me, charting that the pt called you a "Mother F%#$er" is just silly. Whose sensibility are you protecting? Overall, the more exact and complete the quotes, the better picture you give to the next provider.

DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO REMOVE/APPLY RESTRAINTS ALONE!
Get the opinion of experienced staff on whether to remove them, and offer to ASSIST them in removing restraints, and make sure others in the area know you are going to be trying.

Do NOT be shy about SCREAMING for help if Think you need it.
NEVER attempt to physically restrain a pt on your own, even if he is slamming his head onto concrete, because two victims is worse than one. When someone is hurting himself, there is a deep and over-riding impulse to grab - DON'T unless you have training and lots of assistance. The patient has already begun a type of violence, and you are interrupting it. This is Very dangerous.

Control the Doors!
I watch staff go through locked doors every day without watching their backs and without assuring the door is closed and locked before they walk away from it. Any door that is locked, hold onto it until it is completely closed and locked before you walk on - even in a code. LOOK into a room before you unlock the door, especially if you are responding to a behavioral emergency - it may be right behind the door you're entering. Do not stand in the doorway of locked doors (you're begging for someone to rush you), even to hold it for other staff.

- Do Not promise things you cannot be 100% sure you can deliver.
"I will try/ask, but I can't be 100% sure. But I promise you I really will try."
Do not promise what some other person, agency, etc. will do. You cannot be sure.
Anything you promise will get used against you, and against the other professional.

- Do not contradict a pt's story of what terrible thing some other professional did, or what wonderful they did that you are sure they could not have done. There are indeed some jerks out there who might have done a terrible thing. I know a woman whose story of getting pregnant by the psychiatrist in the hospital sure sounded like part of her severe and chronic delusions - you can guess the truth. Even if you know the terrible thing didn't happen, what are you going to gain by contradicting him. You'll get much farther with, "Well, I know if that happened to me, I'd be really upset, too." If the pt tells you that the other doctor/hospital/student provided a steak dinner or a back rub or a beer - just tell the pt. things have apparently changed because your supervisors have made it perfectly clear that you cannot do that.

- If you get the opportunity to go to pt's homes, group homes, homeless camps - DO IT!
You will learn SO much more about the patient, and things you will never forget about how to avoid making silly mistakes. Like prescribing more medicines before assuring they stopped the first 3 (mound of bottles on the table). Like prescribing very sedating meds to a homeless person, "I can't take those here. I'll get killed if I can't wake up." Like prescribing diuretics to someone with no access to water (homeless in the desert).

- Learn something from everyone you meet, pt's, nurses, clerks, housekeepers, families.
They all have something to tell you. Even if you know the information to be false, you have at least learned that there is that perception out there.
Patients have a tremendous amount to teach you, and not just about the illness.
Patients teach me what meds sell on the street and for how much, where you can buy drugs and Rx meds and guns and anything else. They teach me where are safe places to stay on the street and where it's not safe - and if another pt tells me they are choosing to stay in a place not safe, then I know something about their cognitive abilities or judgment. Patients teach me which docs are a "soft touch" for admit or Benzo's or opiates, and which hospitals consistently lie about pt's in order to get them transferred to me. Patients teach me how much you can make from panhandling and how important it is to defend a good spot. Patients teach me how to snort bupropion and how rarely they are permitted to take their own meds in jail - instead they get threatened with murder if they don't cheek and then sell those meds to others. A pt taught me yesterday that IV seconal leaves you only about 1 second before you fall flat on your face, breaking your nose.

Reactions: 1 user
I am honored to officially start the slow clap for kugel's brilliant rambling.

I am honored to officially start the slow clap for kugel's brilliant rambling.

Post of the year thus far. Needs to write a emergency psych textbook.

I think Kugel was either having a stroke of brilliance and inspiration that he just needed to share or he just shot himself up with amphetamines.

Either way a very good and informative post.

If you get the opportunity to go to pt's homes, group homes, homeless camps - DO IT
r

I never once saw a group home until PGY IV. Getting to see how these places operate gives you insight into what type of environment patients will encounter and their own capabilities in handling patients. It does add tremendous insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, why would you snort bupropion? That has never even occurred to me. Now I'm curious...

I have to add, I actually took some wellbutrin for depression once, and it never made me high, just sweaty....

Last edited:
Agree with whoever said to have a high degree of suspicion about any reports of suicidality. "I'm going to blow my brains out," in my experience always means, "I'm using substances and I lost my housing."

Not sure if this has been said yet, but for all psychotic patients, start them on something standing - 5 BID of Zyprexa is my go-to, but some will say that's too expensive. Ask your attendings what they like.

Always know where the security guards are. Don't hesitate to ask them to stand behind you or just out of the patient's eyesight when you're giving bad news.

Don't engage in arguments with patients who are upset with you because you won't let them leave. "I'm sorry you're upset about this, but I'm not going to discuss this with you further because the decision is final."

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with whoever said to have a high degree of suspicion about any reports of suicidality. "I'm going to blow my brains out," in my experience always means, "I'm using substances and I lost my housing."

And remember that homelessness and substance abuse are two of the most robust predictors of suicide!

document a good risk assessment in any 'suicidal' patients being discharged

enjoy yourself

FYI:

Documentation of Assessment & Developing a Safety Plan

Your thought process in assessing risk
The fixed risk factors, the protective factors, and the dynamic factors
Interventions that have decreased the risk
How dynamic factors have been altered
Recommended plan and patient’s responses

Safety Plan

Written list of coping strategies and sources of support that patient can use during or preceding suicidal crisis
Intent is to provide patient with a pre-determined list of potential coping strategies and a list of contacts to call to lessen risk of imminent suicide

Components of Safety Plan

Recognizing warning signs of an impending suicide crisis
Identifying and employing internal coping strategies
Utilizing contacts with others as a means of distractions, without discussing suicidality
Contacting supportive family and friends who can help in a crisis and when suicidal
Contacting mental health professionals and agencies
Reducing potential use of lethal means

Plan should be developed in collaboration with patient, should assess patient’s willingness to use the plan, and copy should be provided to patient.

Sample Documentation

“On suicide risk assessment, this patient presented with risk factors of suicidal ideation with plan to cut her wrist in the context of breakup with BF. No prior suicide attempts, but hx of depression under treatment by her PCP and therapist. Patient has a supportive family (who were present in the ED), does not use drugs or alcohol, and after processing the BF situation with this therapist, is now feeling hopeful, denies SI, is willing to see her therapist next week and return home to family. Patient now presents as low risk for suicide and I feel she is safe to leave the hospital.”

Sample documentation

“This 55 yr old executive with no prior psychiatric hx except for alcohol abuse, presented after a fight with wife of 30 years after being caught with a prostitute. He left home with his gun collection and was found to have checked into a hotel with a 12 pack of beer. he is angry, defensive, but ashamed. Few supports. Denies SI and intent. Declines suggestion of engaging in counseling. On risk assessment, I feel this patient is a high risk for suicide, and recommend hospitalization.”

FYI:

Documentation of Assessment & Developing a Safety Plan

Your thought process in assessing risk
The fixed risk factors, the protective factors, and the dynamic factors
Interventions that have decreased the risk
How dynamic factors have been altered
Recommended plan and patient’s responses

Sample Documentation (from pt this week):

Pt well known to this MD from many, many very similar presentations over last several years. Arrives on his own as VOL walk-in homeless pt, smells of ETOH, with vague SI due to "being tired of nothing working." (note: MSE included steady gait, clear relevant speech, linear TP) Persistently suicidal, usu. with plan to walk into traffic, but no hx. attempts known to this MD. Stopped his last meds p 1 week b/c "they didn't work." Waited 2 more weeks to return. His primary wish is to get someone to Rx Doxepin since it worked well for him for 35-40 yrs, but no one recently will Rx it. States clearly he would not be suicidal if someone would Rx Doxepin. Offered to Rx doxepin for 2 weeks, but will only dispense 3 days' today, pt will return to p/u rest. Pt happy w/ plan, now smiling, joking. Agrees to return w/ any problems, or by 2 wks @ the latest for med refill/adjustment. Obviously capable of returning. Pt is NOT likely to attempt to harm self. PLAN: d/c with doxepin Rx, referrals to AA and rehab. D/C INSTRUCTIONS: Doxepin 50mg HS x 14. Dispense only #3 today, p/u rest in 2-3 days. STOP alcohol and begin DAILY A.A. meetings. Call every rehab on the list given EVERY day until you get in. Return here within 2 weeks for meds refill/adjustment, or Sooner with ANY problems.

This is presented in real-life form b/c it is not perfect. Feel free to comment on how it could be improved.

I need to second the slow cap for kugel's post, wish I could have read this prior to my emerg psych rotation last year. Thanks for the rant kugel!

Also, just wanted to say hello to my now fellow Psych SDNers. I've been trolling these forums for several years, taking in all the wisdom (and biting my digi-tongue at times).

I'm a newly graduated MD from your friendly Canadian neighbour. Gonna be starting my psych residency at one of the Western Canadian programs this July. Any other Canadian lurkers on the forum can feel free to PM to discuss anything related to psych residencies here in Canada. :)

Thanks again to everyone for the awesome tips!

I am dealing a lot with conditional SI. People keep telling me if they don't get what they want they are gonna off themselves. I feel kind of stuck. What do I need to do? Do ya'll have any advice? Thanks!

I am dealing a lot with conditional SI. People keep telling me if they don't get what they want they are gonna off themselves. I feel kind of stuck. What do I need to do? Do ya'll have any advice? Thanks!

I regularly document contingent SI as a protective factor in a risk assessment, based on a simple study which is only a study but the best literature we have:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11773656

Essentially 45 patients with contingent SI followed for 7 years, compared to 92 with non-contingent SI. After 7 years, ZERO of the contingent SI pt's actually committed suicide, whereas 10 of the non-contingent did. Another way to think about it is their focus on specific goals is itself a form of future orientation and shows desire to live (rather than total hopelessness). This is what I would document, NOT what I say to the patient.

I handle the patient with kid gloves, maximizing rapport building tools and genuinely offering them whatever help I have available. Pissing them off or challenging them to do something IMO will only raise the risk of escalation and a SA just to prove you wrong (SA out of spite or revenge).

Sample Documentation (from pt this week):

Pt well known to this MD from many, many very similar presentations over last several years. Arrives on his own as VOL walk-in homeless pt, smells of ETOH, with vague SI due to "being tired of nothing working." (note: MSE included steady gait, clear relevant speech, linear TP) Persistently suicidal, usu. with plan to walk into traffic, but no hx. attempts known to this MD. Stopped his last meds p 1 week b/c "they didn't work." Waited 2 more weeks to return. His primary wish is to get someone to Rx Doxepin since it worked well for him for 35-40 yrs, but no one recently will Rx it. States clearly he would not be suicidal if someone would Rx Doxepin. Offered to Rx doxepin for 2 weeks, but will only dispense 3 days' today, pt will return to p/u rest. Pt happy w/ plan, now smiling, joking. Agrees to return w/ any problems, or by 2 wks @ the latest for med refill/adjustment. Obviously capable of returning. Pt is NOT likely to attempt to harm self. PLAN: d/c with doxepin Rx, referrals to AA and rehab. D/C INSTRUCTIONS: Doxepin 50mg HS x 14. Dispense only #3 today, p/u rest in 2-3 days. STOP alcohol and begin DAILY A.A. meetings. Call every rehab on the list given EVERY day until you get in. Return here within 2 weeks for meds refill/adjustment, or Sooner with ANY problems.

This is presented in real-life form b/c it is not perfect. Feel free to comment on how it could be improved.

I would add further rationale a bit in my decision.
"Since he has chronic suicidality in the context of chronic stressors that have never led to a prior suicide attempt before and there is no worsening or acute risk factors, his risk for attempting suicide is considered low-moderate, and is unlikely to be modified or improved by hospitalization. "

I thought you were going to bring up a different thread though the above is a good one.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-601628.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623625

In addition to Nitemagi's post, I was thinking contacting Lambert, the author of the above study, who replicated his data later on with consistent results, but alas, there's so many ideas where I'm not taking the next step forward. Playing D&D, spending time with my daughter, and sitting on my butt watching Young Justice on the Cartoon Network are taking their toll.

Evidenced-based data shows that conditional AKA contingent suicidality is actually a protective factor, the theory being that most of these people aren't mentally ill to begin with, and are manipulating the system. Despite the data, that IMHO is good enough to defend you in court, the author still suggests that more studies need to be done, probably in an attempt to cover his own butt.

Where I did my training, the doctors were of lower quality then where I'm at now, and given that a substantial amount of doctors in the department are actually top doctors in the country, and some of them are actually working in the emergency center once in awhile, the frustration level is so so so so so much lower than it was in residency with these types of patients.

In residency, if we had a malingerer we had so many chicken docs that immediately admitted them to the frustration of the inpatient doctor. The inpatient doctor would immediately discharge the patient (and rightfully so), and then it would cause the emergency center docs and nurses just get mad at the inpatient ones in a very immature, dysfunctional, and unproductive manner. It was like Jets and Sharks on West Side Story, and being a resident, I had to work in both while being barraged by the dysfunctional emotional anger going on. To add to the frustration, several of the staff members even in the emergency center thought the patient was malingering, but they were ticked off because they had to deal with the fall-out from their own attending admitting the patient but they weren't allowed to put the attending in his place.

There are a few books from the APA suggesting that there really is no standard of care in predicting suicide. I disagree with that. Asking if the patient is suicidal, their history, checking for static risk factors (e.g. possession of a gun, prior suicide attempts, etc), but from there that's where I'd say the standard becomes murky because anyone in this fields knows that the overwhelming majority of people who come to the ER don't commit suicide, and most of the time it's not because we actually got them better in a psychiatric sense. It's because the patient was FOS to begin with. or drunk, the ER doctor wanted to dump them on you, they really just want a place to stay because they got into an argument with the Mrs. and they don't want to pay for a hotel room, or what have you that got them into the psych emergency center to begin with and it wasn't a real psychiatric issue.

Here's my advice on dealing with such patients.

1) Consistency: the inpatient doctor, if the patient is admitted, needs to continue the evaluation of the patient possibly being FOS or not. Yes, I can understand them still giving them an Axis I disorder, but they should at least document any suspicions of malingering. When a doctor puts a diagnosis on discharge, it can create a domino-effect where each time this patient comes back to the emergency center, it'll just up the odds he'll be admitted.

As for the doc at the emergency center, if you admit them and suspect they are FOS, document so, but write why you admitted them. "E.g. I suspect this patient may be malingering but this is the first time we are seeing this patient, and he does have some behaviors that make me suspect he truly may be in need of hospitalization. Please consider this during his hospitalization."

2) Chair therapy: As termed by NJWXman, if you can't tell if a patient is FOS or not, or you strongly believe they are, hold them in the emergency center for as long as you can before you decide to admit them or not. Often-times, usually the majority of the time, after being in the PES with only crappy sandwiches, pretzels and PB on Ritz crackers to eat, no one to talk to them, and TV that only shows bad TV like Dr. Phil they'll want out of there themselves after a few hours while contracting for safety.

3) If You Suspect Malingering, and It's Serious, and If You Can, Get Psychological Testing done: Where I'm at, we got a psychologist on our psychiatry dept who specializes in malingering testing, and we can have him test the patient. We only do it, however, if the stakes are high because this testing is expensive. This, unfortunately, will often necessitate they be admitted into inpatient, but you spotting and documenting possible malingering can get the testing done faster.

4) Don't Up the Ante: If you think someone is FOS, don't provoke them and don't give them extra attention either. Getting them even more pissed than they are at discharge might provoke them to up the ante and harm themselves out of anger in an attempt to make you look like you're wrong (even though you're right). If you have a patient that's malingering and you call them a liar to their face, you're just going to piss them off even more and many of these patients have enough knowledge to know that superficially cutting can force your hand, and then on top of that increase liability. Aside from that I've seen too many doctors think they're right when they're wrong.

I handle this just like I handle my Suboxone patients that allege to lose their scripts. I tell them that I'm not replacing the script and it's too bad they lost it, but I don't accuse them of lying. If you've had enough Suboxone patients, you know that as a demographic (not judging individuals) many of them are impulsive, have poor coping, skills, and when you think about, many of them are irresponsible enough to lose it. Just that I'm not going to re-supply them with Suboxone because I can't tell if they're telling the truth or not. I just tell them that they're not getting it again, I can't tell if they're telling me the truth, and as part of the patient contract they signed they should already know this.

For suspected malingerers in a PES, I just tell them that based on all the data, they're better off not being in the hospital and try to get them out of there in a respectful, calm, and non-confrontational manner. Remember, we're supposed to do no harm. I'd only confront a patient with malingering if I was very very very certain. You can be causing severe harm by claiming someone is malingering that is not. That, IMHO, could be one of the worst forms of psychological invalidation a mental health provider could ever do.

I had a woman in PES a few weeks ago that was suicidal to the degree where she made an attempt more than daily, but I knew it was for attention and a product of combined borderline PD and factitious DO (she really has borderline, but she loved the attention). I knew this patient after seeing her on a different unit in the state hospital i worked at. I discharged her from the PES knowing she could full well make another attempt within 24 hours. I gave her a referral to a DBT therapist, told her I wanted her to get better for real, but that PES and inpatient hospitalization wasn't the solution. I did not display any anger towards her, and recommended she give DBT therapy a try. She told me she was going to kill herself if I didn't help her. I only said "please don't do that" while thinking to myself ...-if you really wanted to kill yourself, I'm sure after 10 years of this you would've done it- while not telling her that.

Now, that patient did worry me. I did pause while in PES and think that admitting her into inpatient (which is what she wanted) would've been the easy but wrong thing to do. This happened the same day I was watching The Avengers on opening night, I kept thinking every few minutes that she might've killed herself, not because she was truly suicidal but because her attempts to get admitted have become more theatrical, histrionic, and dangerous. E.g. she put her leg over a bridge.
[/LIST]

Last edited:
When I've decided to discharge a pt who is c/o SI, I tell the pt something to the effect of, "Putting you in the hospital over and over has not seemed to help you. You've become caught in this cycle, but it's not helping you become more functional. In fact, it may have made you less functional. Therefore, I'm going to do something different for you. I'm Not going to put you in the hospital. I'll do anything else you and I can think of to help you, but I am not going to put you into the hospital. So, other than admitting you, what else can you think of that I could do to help you? If it's something I can do, I'll try. You just tell me what you think might help, other than admission. Because that's the one thing I definitely won't do today."