DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hiep Pham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finish my DAT today. Here is my score.

PAT: 25 (99.0%)
QR: 27 (99.7%)
RC: 17 (24.9%)
Bio: 22 (95.9%)
GC: 26 (98.8%)
OC: 24 (95.7%)
TS: 23 (97.8%)
AA: 23 (98.7%)

Material: DAT Blue book, Bio Schaum, Destroyer, Crack the DAT, DATqvault, AP Bio, Chad's video
Online material:
To keep you inspired, I would recommend you to read through several thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=719712
These guys, whose DAT is >21, have amazing and inspiring stories to keep you studying.
If you have 2 minutes to kill, watch this video. It helps a bit as in my case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI
Bio:Since I only got 22, there are not too much to say. However, considering the fact that I'm a slow reader (look at my RC!), I think 22 is the best I can do. One year before I did the exam, I tested at Kaplan and my score was about 14 or so. I tried to make topic sheets, condensed everything in one to three pages, for example, BioChemistry, Fertilization, Hormones, etc. and then work on the Destroyer. At first I got about 3 wrongs on each 10 questions on Destroyer. It s getting better and better if you maintain a good notebook. You can also go online, search for DAT bio flashcard --> Really help. I would say 90% of the materials are on these flashcards. Read AP Bio, that's more than enough. The DAT is not that detailed. Try to understand, rather than memorizing fact. Think of what is the causation and the result of each behavior. Crack the DAT really sucks. The materials are too hard and irrelevant. I got 14 every time I did CTD, which really pissed me off a lot. It seems a lot but as long as you see the big picture, Bio is quite simple. I start cramming qvault 3 days before the exam and still got 22. Moreover, it depends on your luck, if you got a set of easy questions (like mine without plants + development), you score better.
GChem: I was a Gen Chem tutor, so, it did not take me too much time to study. However, in order to organize your ideas, Chad is the best. I would say go with Destroyer, then Chad and than qvault. Destroyer obviously is harder than the real test but it makes you think about Chemistry. Again, CTD sucks in this portion.
OChem: I am quite fluent at OChem, so, this part is easy for me. Go with Destroyer+Chad for summary and organization. Like G Chem, it makes you think about Chemistry but the real test is much easier than this. I did not do the roadmap. I think it is time-consuming. My test is all about mechanisms, intermediates. Destroyer focused heavily on memorizing reaction scheme. So, it will not beneficial you a lot but consider its huge number and very good T/F tricky questions, I would say Destroyer is the best sources to study then. Again, CTD sucks, it just merely talks about some random guys I have never met in my O Chem courses.
Math: I did Math tutoring in my freshmen and sophomore. So, it is not a big deal for me. Destroyer and qvalt all give you good practices for Math problem. Just be familiarize with it. CTD is somehow useful in this section. This is an opinion from a person who is very good at Math. So, I think my experience may be different from yours
RC: I have to admit that I am a very slow reader. I tried search and destroy method. It helps to save some points but look at my 17 :eek:
PAT:I am so proud of my PAT score. CTP is the best. However, the test was unusually hard. I studied it 2 days before the test and my score was about 20's. The time distribution during PAT is very important. Try to go very fast with the angle, hole punching and cube counting. For angles, if you don't get it, you don't get it. So, make it quick. For the hole punching, I use my "hugging principles". When you fold something, it must have a line of symmetry. Look at the answer and you can easily determine the correct one. If you guys have any request, I will make a more detailed method guides on this thread. The key hold is just simple, when you look at the answer, try to determine whether it is top/front or end view. It takes time but you ll get used to it. Top/front/end requires extra time, extra effort. So, spend the most time on this section because the more you think about it, the more properly you can figure it out. Patterning folding is not my strong point, I merely use the elimination method, which work sometimes.

Last words: qvault is the best source of material. Destroyers gain more insight about the topic. CTD for PAT, Reading and Math.

If you have already done some researches about schools, would you mind sharing some school selections for my score please?
I have 3.7 GPA, 3.5 BCP and 4.03 Math.
I did about 50 hours of shadowing, 50 hours of volunteering
Member of honor program
Working on 1 research and tutoring a lot.
I prefer clinical school.
So, if you have done the list, please share with me. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Another :eek: DAT :)

Nice job sir on a job well done.
From the stats I've seen in the ADEA 2012 book for dental schools, you are pretty much set in terms of DAT scores for going to your in state school (s). Those are competitive scores for going out of state to most schools as well!

You have a lot more options with scores like those!

Also, is it cool with you if I add your breakdown to the list I've compiled on my blog?

Sure. I would love to! I hope I can help as many students as possible to achieve the score they want.
Actually. I have just check back on my GPA and want to make some correction
Here is my score
GPA: 3.7
BCP: 3.5
Science GPA (My counselor said it was Math only): 4.03
I'm from UC Irvine and 1 year of Gen Chem, Math and Bio in CC.
What do you think about my DAT and GPA score? Am I competitive for Dental School in CA?

Members don't see this ad :)
sick scores man.. everyone on here WOWs me more and more!

in regards to orgo, were there a lot of
mechanism questions? im kind of memorizing reactions n not too sure of many mechanisms- is this going to be a big problem? any example of a mechanism question?

for PAT- what sections in CTP were easier, harder or equal?

for Math, DAT QR section is sufficient? did you try math destroyer at all?

Sure. I would love to! I hope I can help as many students as possible to achieve the score they want.
Actually. I have just check back on my GPA and want to make some correction
Here is my score
GPA: 3.7
BCP: 3.5
Science GPA (My counselor said it was Math only): 4.03
I'm from UC Irvine and 1 year of Gen Chem, Math and Bio in CC.
What do you think about my DAT and GPA score? Am I competitive for Dental School in CA?

Dude don't even worry about your DAT scores, you're golden there. And your GPA is also in the competitive range. With some shadowing hours and ECs you should have no problem getting into your state schools.

sick scores man.. everyone on here WOWs me more and more!

in regards to orgo, were there a lot of
mechanism questions? im kind of memorizing reactions n not too sure of many mechanisms- is this going to be a big problem? any example of a mechanism question?

for PAT- what sections in CTP were easier, harder or equal?

for Math, DAT QR section is sufficient? did you try math destroyer at all?

The mechanism question is just about writing the intermediates. Make sure that you know which intermediate in which reaction. They love to ask question about alkene, epoxide and alcohol. For the reaction, I would really recommend you to study the reduction-oxidation chapter. There are about 5 of them in my tests. Know the anti, syn addition too. There are 3 stereochemistry question and they ask about meso, diasteromer.

CTD is always harder in all section. I always got about 21 in CTP. My tips is to study this for a year. I use most of my bathroom time to do angle, hole punching. During my real test, I finish angle in about 5 minutes and hole punching in less than 2 minutes. I spent the most time working on TFE. This section is hard and takes time. However, as long as you get it. BOOM!!!

My experience in Math is different from you guys. My family has a history of Math, so, it s not a big deal for me but not for everyone. So, I will skip this section

The mechanism question is just about writing the intermediates. Make sure that you know which intermediate in which reaction. They love to ask question about alkene, epoxide and alcohol. For the reaction, I would really recommend you to study the reduction-oxidation chapter. There are about 5 of them in my tests. Know the anti, syn addition too. There are 3 stereochemistry question and they ask about meso, diasteromer.

CTD is always harder in all section. I always got about 21 in CTP. My tips is to study this for a year. I use most of my bathroom time to do angle, hole punching. During my real test, I finish angle in about 5 minutes and hole punching in less than 2 minutes. I spent the most time working on TFE. This section is hard and takes time. However, as long as you get it. BOOM!!!

My experience in Math is different from you guys. My family has a history of Math, so, it s not a big deal for me but not for everyone. So, I will skip this section

Mechanism question (singular) or questionS (plural)? Lol im really scared of those.... whn you say oxidation reductions, are you referring to LiAlH4 and NaBH4 ...and jones, k2cr2O7, Pcc etc?

Were the stereochem questions straightforward ? or tricky like the one in destroyer where it asks you how many stereoisomers but theres one less than youd think because of a meso

Congrats and well done, you should be pretty strong candidate for nearly every school. I am applying to nearly all in CA (except Loma Linda and USC) and their avg stats are not that great compared to your stats. DAT avg 20 or less, GPA avg around 3.4-3.6. Once I have my list of potentials, I'll PM them to you since I feel you and I are in similar situations.

Mechanism question (singular) or questionS (plural)? Lol im really scared of those.... whn you say oxidation reductions, are you referring to LiAlH4 and NaBH4 ...and jones, k2cr2O7, Pcc etc?

Were the stereochem questions straightforward ? or tricky like the one in destroyer where it asks you how many stereoisomers but theres one less than youd think because of a meso

Yes, Pd, Lindlar, PCC, Cr2O7... Know all of them

Congratulations dude. Don't worry about RC. You have good scores overall, they should overshadow RC.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

When you were testing yourself, did you do the whole test, or you just tested yourself on individual sections?

Wow, amazing scores! Congrats!

I would really appreciate it if you can describe your PAT method in detail! Thanks!