How Much in Student Loans Did/Will You Have After Finishing Professional School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How Much Debt Did/Will You Have After Completing Professional School?

• None

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • $1-$10,000

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • $10,001-$20,000

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • $20,001-$30,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $30,001-$40,000

• $40,001-$50,000

• $50,001-$75,000

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • $75,001-$100,000

• $100,001-$150,000

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • $150,001-$200,000

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • $200,001-$300,000

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • > $300,000

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a companion thread to last June's poll about how much debt people have prior to starting professional school, by special request, this June's poll is asking about how much debt people will amass or have amassed after graduating from professional school.

Please vote for the amount of debt you had after completing professional school. Or, if you are a current student or have not yet begun professional school, please vote for the amount of debt you expect to have. You should include student loan debt only (both prior educational debt and professional school loans). In other words, please do not include consumer debt (ex. car loans, credit card debt, mortgages, etc.) Feel free to post more details about the makeup of your debt below if you wish.

I was fully scholarshipped, worked part-time, and graduated from medical school with no debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was definitely one of those alignment of the planets kind of things. That, and sometimes it pays to be a little pushy. My med school offers a diversity scholarship that pays full COA to a few students, and at the end of my interview day, I basically told them I wanted one. To my amazement, they gave it to me. On the not so bright side, I felt obligated to volunteer to meet with multiple rich, obnoxious donors to help raise more money so the school would be able to offer that scholarship to future students. But as painful as those meetings usually were, it was obviously worth it.

If I don't make any payments until after residency, I've calculated it to be roughly 316K assuming a 5 year residency and annual interest capitalization.

It was definitely one of those alignment of the planets kind of things. That, and sometimes it pays to be a little pushy. My med school offers a diversity scholarship that pays full COA to a few students, and at the end of my interview day, I basically told them I wanted one. To my amazement, they gave it to me. On the not so bright side, I felt obligated to volunteer to meet with multiple rich, obnoxious donors to help raise more money so the school would be able to offer that scholarship to future students. But as painful as those meetings usually were, it was obviously worth it.

Short of showering with a Sandusky you betta believe its worth it.

Last edited:
I count myself lucky that I will have a bachelor degree without any debt attached to it. I start taking on the evil school loan to finish off a few science prereqs when we are stateside again then for med school. I don't look forward to the debt I will have to take on for med school, but I know plenty of people go in with undergraduate debt so I can't complain too much.