2012-2013 Mock Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As interviews are set to begin at some schools fairly soon, I figured this might be a good service to try and get started (and hopefully become an annual "tradition"). If you're interested in doing a mock interview with a medical student, please read this post carefully and in its entirety.

If you're a medical student interested in doing interviews with applicants, please PM me. Those with interviewing experience at their schools are strongly encouraged to help out, but experience is by no means necessary. To verify your status and ensure the integrity of this service, you should be willing to submit a picture of your student ID or some other form of "proof" that you're an enrolled medical student to me. This information will not be shared and will be deleted once your status has been verified. Alternatively, if you feel uncomfortable sending this information to me, we can try and get a mod to act as a "verifier" (if one is willing) you may PM sector9 with your verification to keep your identity and other info confidential. At a minimum, however, I'll at least need a Gmail address in order to share the sign-up list with you (see below).

General Info
The goal of this from my perspective is to offer you the opportunity to go through a "real" interview in order to give you an idea of what to expect when you start visiting schools. Many pre-health offices offer this service to their students (or even require it to get a committee letter), but I know that many applicants to have a useful pre-health office to help them with these sorts of things. While interviews at individual schools will of course vary, the goal here is to simply go through the process and answer some general questions about your application that you may very well get at some point on the trail. The exact format of the interview will be dictated by your interviewer, but here are some guidelines:

-Interviews should be approximately 15-30 minutes, followed by 10-20 minutes of feedback. The number of questions your interviewer will ask will be dependent on the "flow" of your interview, though 15-30 minutes should be enough time for at least three questions. The time and method of your interview will be worked out between you and your interviewer.

-Interviews can be done using whatever method works for both people, but Skype or some other kind of video chatting would probably be best and the most realistic.

-Questions will come from the information you provide in your application, specifically the personal statement and activities.

-For a variety of reasons, it's strongly recommended that applicants NOT share their grades or MCAT score with their mock interviewer. Additionally, these topics should be out-of-bounds for questions.

-Applicants are encouraged to immerse themselves in the experience and treat it as a real interview, i.e., dress up, prepare, etc..

Sound good? Keep reading.

Requirements to participate:
-YOU MUST BE APPLYING IN THE CURRENT (2012-2013) APPLICATION CYCLE (sorry, but I'm guessing that the demand for this will probably be too great to do interviews with non-applicants)

-You must have completed and submitted your AMCAS application

-You must be willing to share your personal statement and your activity descriptions. To verify that you're actually applying this cycle, the PDF AMCAS allows you to save should be submitted to your interviewer. It is strongly recommended that you remove highly personal information before sending the PDF (i.e., your SSN, address, grades/MCAT score, etc.) to your interviewer. This is for your own protection. To make things easy, simply edit the PDF and remove all pages that include any information other than your PS and activity descriptions.

-You must sign up using the Google Form provided here (note: this information will only be seen by me and any other (verified) interviewers that volunteer to participate, and your identity will not be linked to your SDN username unless you share your username with me or your interviewer): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHpEeUt5LVRpdkYxN2xPZTNySVAzZ3c6MQ

Other notes:
-As I'm the only one doing this at the moment, I will obviously be limited by the number of applicants I can interview. Hopefully we'll get some volunteers, but it's highly likely that everyone who signs up won't be able to get an interview. Interviews will be done on a first come, first served basis. If you fail to make it to your agreed-upon interview time, you will lose your spot and will have to submit the request form again.

-If you do an interview and found it helpful, donate to SDN as a "thanks." This service is provided free of charge.

-This service will obviously require a lot of trust in both directions. Applicants should be assured that all information they share with their interviewer, including during the interview, will remain confidential. In return, the identity of your interviewer and any other information should not be shared publicly on SDN or privately with others. Hopefully requiring everyone to "pony up" with their personal information will encourage this culture, but I can only speak for myself when I say that your information will not be shared. If you're getting bad vibes from your interviewer, you're strongly encouraged to get in touch with me and/or request a different interviewer. Once again, be judicious about keeping highly personal information (your address, SSN, grades, MCAT score, etc.) private. Keeping any shared personal information confidential is in agreement with SDN's terms of service. Individuals found violating this policy will be reported to the mods.

Feel free to post any questions you might have here. Depending on the response and whether or not other people volunteer, interviews can begin more or less immediately.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This looks great Alex. Hopefully, it is still around when I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Nick, you're so helpful around this forum!

This is a very interesting idea and hopefully helpful to current applicants. I added it to the 2012-2013 sticky.

I can volunteer as a verifier of med student status

Always pleased with your involvement on these forums NickNaylor. Seems like an awesome idea!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

This is pretty cool. But say I live somewhere with a med school, or within driving distance of one. Is there a way to meet up with med students locally by using this? I'm not sure if skype would really work for me.

This is pretty cool. But say I live somewhere with a med school, or within driving distance of one. Is there a way to meet up with med students locally by using this? I'm not sure if skype would really work for me.

Why don't you ask your school/premed clubs if the med students do mock interviews/app presentations. At my ugrad every year near the start of app season the med students would put up a presentation for tips about applying as well as do mock interviews.

If your school doesn't have anything like this maybe you could start something up? Ask the med students at the med school nicely if they could do mock interviews or what not.

Why don't you ask your school/premed clubs if the med students do mock interviews/app presentations. At my ugrad every year near the start of app season the med students would put up a presentation for tips about applying as well as do mock interviews.

If your school doesn't have anything like this maybe you could start something up? Ask the med students at the med school nicely if they could do mock interviews or what not.

The problem is that I don't "go" to this school, I'm just taking a year off in this city and by chance there is a school with ugrad/med. I could try asking around, but schools aren't too friendly with "foreigners," and I was just checking this thread as a potential option.

The problem is that I don't "go" to this school, I'm just taking a year off in this city and by chance there is a school with ugrad/med. I could try asking around, but schools aren't too friendly with "foreigners," and I was just checking this thread as a potential option.

Oh hm, you could still ask around. They won't know you are not a student there unless they ask you for your ID or information to check you up. I don't know what kind of person would do that tho lol.

This is a really good idea, I wish there was something like this last year.

Members don't see this ad :)

You could try writing on the schools thread and see if any current students are willing to help you out.

I've been looking for something exactly like this. Thanks! I'm excited.

thinking about incorporating this at my schoool.... just got to find that killer pdf of med school interview questions and it's game over :D

This is a really good idea, I wish there was something like this last year.
Was about to say the same thing. Hope this takes off.

Last edited:
So just a quick update for those that are curious/want to make sure it's legit/etc.: we've got about 10 people that have signed up for interviews, one other verified interviewer, and two others currently in the process of being verified. Once we have all four of us (hopefully more?) doing interviews, we should be able to pump them out. As long as the volume doesn't get ridiculously huge and our own schedules don't get too busy, I think we should be able to get quite a few interviews done.

This is an awesome idea. Hopefully it sticks around for a couple of years when my application cycle comes around! :)

Thanks to everyone who is volunteering their time!

Maybe have a way to specify a date that you would want your mock interview? I don't want mine until about mid-august and I'm sure some people are in more of rush than I am and would like to go first.

And this is pretty neat btw, great idea.

:thumbup: This is awesome. I know I could really use it. Those files are gold too.

Awesome! I'd been thinking about how to set up a mock interview exchange. Having actual med students do the interviews is better than anything I could've come up with.

Just did my mock interview with NickNaylor and want to say it was EXTREMELY helpful. Not only does he provide fantastic advice but it was nice to get a feel of how a medical school interview might run. High recommend it for anyone currently applying! :thumbup:

Just did my mock interview with NickNaylor and want to say it was EXTREMELY helpful. Not only does he provide fantastic advice but it was nice to get a feel of how a medical school interview might run. High recommend it for anyone currently applying! :thumbup:

NickNaylor should be SDN-canonized.

I am very jealous.

Bumping.

Just wanted to let you guys that have submitted requests know that we're getting to you. You should be receiving an e-mail letting you know that your request is received and info about setting up a time shortly. We have ~6-8 people that we haven't sent this confirmation to, so if you're one of those people, hang tight - we're getting to you! We're basically waiting on people that signed up before you to respond to our e-mails and set up a time. We don't want to set up times with everyone at once in order to avoid a huge backlog of people, so we're trying to get it done in "waves," if that makes sense.

Bumping.

Just wanted to let you guys that have submitted requests know that we're getting to you. You should be receiving an e-mail letting you know that your request is received and info about setting up a time shortly. We have ~6-8 people that we haven't sent this confirmation to, so if you're one of those people, hang tight - we're getting to you! We're basically waiting on people that signed up before you to respond to our e-mails and set up a time. We don't want to set up times with everyone at once in order to avoid a huge backlog of people, so we're trying to get it done in "waves," if that makes sense.

Can I PM you just to confirm you got my request?

Just signed up for it. Thank you so much ahead of time to all involved. This is genius.

Bumping.

Are we still at the same status?

Bump! Just finished my interview. Very helpful and always refreshing to get feedback from others about interviewing. If you haven't signed up, do it - practice is the best way to brush up and work on talking about yourself like this!

I sure hope this thread/service is still around when I apply! Seems like a great idea, and is very beneficial.

I hope this offer is still taking sign ups as I just signed up now!

I also just signed up. I don't have video stuff but I have my phone, hopefully that counts.

Also I gotta find a PDF editor for that information.

Is this still going on, because I submitted some time ago.

Just Signed up. No real interviews yet, hoping to get a leg up on practicing with med students who've done so in the past.

Willing to help out in any way in the future if necessary.

It said somewhere in the original post that "15-30 minutes should be enough time to answer 3 questions." How much time in an interview setting are we supposed to spend on each question??? That seems like some long, drawn out answers if they are 5-10 min each.

It said somewhere in the original post that "15-30 minutes should be enough time to answer 3 questions." How much time in an interview setting are we supposed to spend on each question??? That seems like some long, drawn out answers if they are 5-10 min each.

Your pacing really depends on you.

However, you shouldn't have one sentence answers. Try to tie your answers to questions to something about you and tell some sort of story (ideally from your ECs) about that trait. If it's appropriate address how that trait will help you in medical school and beyond. Usually this will make your answers fairly lengthy.

This formula doesn't apply to all questions obviously, but try to always tie your answers to you somehow. With enough practice you'll find the pacing very natural.