What Is the Best Age to Go to Professional School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Is the Best Age to Go to Professional School?

• As young as possible (earlier than traditional age)

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Traditional age (21-23)

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • 24-27

Votes: 104 61.5%
  • 28-30

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • 31-33

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • 34-37

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 38-40

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • > 40

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's our March poll.

I'd say mid-twenties. You have a few years of real life experience, but you're still bright eyed and bushy tailed, and you're less likely to have "adult" type responsibilities like house, kids, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I picked 28-30 for similar reasons to what Q posted, and based my own personal experiences. TBH, I think anywhere between 25 and 30 is good depending on the person's personal goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's our March poll.

I'd say mid-twenties. You have a few years of real life experience, but you're still bright eyed and bushy tailed, and you're less likely to have "adult" type responsibilities like house, kids, etc.

Yep. Mid 20's. Enough to have spent some piss and vinegar, sowed some wild oats, but still a believer.

Other: it totally depends on the person. I know 19 year olds that I would trust with medical decisions for my loved ones. I know a lot of 23-24 year old med students I wouldn't want anywhere near me. I had over-30 premed colleagues that I really, really hope aren't in med school now.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted the choice of "as soon as you're old enough to not be a cocky dbag"

I am starting in my late 20s, and really happy about it. The straight through undergrad to med school people have asked me several times if I wish I went to med school sooner and I always answer with a resounding no. The number one complaint I hear from med students/doctors is "losing their twenties".

I don't have this regret, I worked really interesting jobs, traveled, got married, explored hobbies, etc. Now feels like a good time to settle in to 4 years of grad school.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
I like the German system of going straight to medical school after high school. The American system of going through four years of college just to prove you're smart enough for medical school is massively inefficient, especially since doctors rarely need to use the information they learned in undergrad. The drawback of the German system is that it's difficult if not impossible to become a nontrad student, especially a career-changing nontrad. If I was a German citizen trying to switch from carpentry to medicine, I'd basically have to repeat high school. No thanks.

I like the German system of going straight to medical school after high school. The American system of going through four years of college just to prove you're smart enough for medical school is massively inefficient, especially since doctors rarely need to use the information they learned in undergrad. The drawback of the German system is that it's difficult if not impossible to become a nontrad student, especially a career-changing nontrad. If I was a German citizen trying to switch from carpentry to medicine, I'd basically have to repeat high school. No thanks.

Im just thinking back to high school and everyone I knew who planned on going to medical school....

I have a problem with the combined programs for this same reason. At 17 years old, you have no clue what you really want out of life.

I think ideal age would vary person to person, for me 21 was fine but I literally have no memories of a time I wasn't a full time student so maybe taking a year or two off after college would have given me a breather. Working though... not too keen on that idea.

I said 28-30, although like a previous poster said, I think it does depend on the person. At the least, I think you should know what it's like to live on your own, supporting yourself.

Going with the 28-30 choice. I will be 28 or 29 when I get in (hopefully). I have worked as a medic for years now and have done some really amazing things and met great people. I have traveled some and enjoyed time with friends and family. The only thing I have not done that is find my significant other. But there is time for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I selected 31-33 for obvious reasons (I'm ready)! I do agree with Q though.

I wanted the choice of "as soon as you're old enough to not be a cocky dbag"

:thumbup:

Agree with DrMidlife as well. Maturity is waaaaay more important than age.

Also, with respect to other countries, I don't want to say people mature differently in other countries, but societal expectations for certain ages can be quite different in other countries and that might make it easier for a larger portion of the population to step up to the plate of starting school earlier. (although I still think expecting a 17 year old to know what they want to do for the rest of their life is a bit much for most of them) In an anthropology class I took, they noted that in some places there's a clear cut line after which you're considered an adult and expected to act like one, whereas here we have this really long adolescent/in between stage. Not sure how much I agree with that, but it is interesting to think about.

Also, with respect to other countries, I don't want to say people mature differently in other countries, but societal expectations for certain ages can be quite different in other countries and that might make it easier for a larger portion of the population to step up to the plate of starting school earlier. (although I still think expecting a 17 year old to know what they want to do for the rest of their life is a bit much for most of them) In an anthropology class I took, they noted that in some places there's a clear cut line after which you're considered an adult and expected to act like one, whereas here we have this really long adolescent/in between stage. Not sure how much I agree with that, but it is interesting to think about.

That's an interesting thought. The overseas maturity schematic has it's corollary however. Baby sister at 13 is old enough to settle down with the senior citizen one village over because pops wants strategic access to the river to water his goats. Sorry sis. Old balls across the nose. Tough break.

I've heard some authors talking about some books that I will never read on the radio, largely women, talking about the prolonged American male adolescence. Workin the oprah circuit. With audiences nodding in purse-lipped approval of the sad state of the single 20 something male. How maturity is at an all time low, and tisk-tisk, and like that, Oprah people worked up into a humorless frenzy.

And I'm thinking I have new appreciation for Eddie's butthole bongrips that I used to find disgusting. Largely cause I was afraid I might pick up the wrong one. Because who wants to party with those f'ers.

And then what is the natural state of man, not bridled with the morality of maturity put forth by good society, largely women....and the occasional p-whipped nominal man, who married early, joined the church, and sings with glee about the purity of the baby Jesus. Nope don't wanna party with him either.

I'd say right here and now....(cue the patriotic music)....that if you haven't blown out your 20's and tapped out, out of pure exhaustion, and you go straight to med school, you have never lived. [my name is Journeyagent and I approve this message]

Having worked with people who have immigrated to this country from places like the Philippines, India, Nigeria, Uruguay, China, and many others, I can say it's less of a strategic plan and more of a "your childhood is training for adulthood" as in, if you don't learn how to cook when you are 10-15, you won't know it when you're 18 and need to leave the house to go to college. If you don't have responsibilities placed on you in your childhood, aka training period, how are you supposed to know how to pay bills, cook, clean, and care for yourself when you go to college or move on with life??? That is what separates other countries from us, we assume (very mistakenly) that a child will somehow know these things when they turn 18, and/or that it is just their problem... Childhood isn't all for fun and games, it's to learn how to be a responsible adult before you're so old that you already know everything and won't listen...

Here's our March poll.

I was in for quite the culture shock when I left CA (Bay Area) in 06 for school and realized that people get married... at 18-23. When I started grad school many of my classmates were married by the first year... 1-2 kids popped out by the time they got their PhDs.

Agree with DrMidlife.

Whatever age you are when you are accepted :) But seriously, late twenties to early thirties is probably ideal, if for no other reasons than A: being mature enough to know what you want in life while simultaneously B: being young enough to have a lengthy career in said field.

Definitely depends on the person, but for someone like me who wants to experience "life" for a while after graduation, I feel like 26-27 is a good age range that compromises outside experience with getting started on your career without too much "delay." In my case it helps that I don't want to start a family; for someone who does I can see the appeal of getting started earlier.

Having worked with people who have immigrated to this country from places like the Philippines, India, Nigeria, Uruguay, China, and many others, I can say it's less of a strategic plan and more of a "your childhood is training for adulthood" as in, if you don't learn how to cook when you are 10-15, you won't know it when you're 18 and need to leave the house to go to college. If you don't have responsibilities placed on you in your childhood, aka training period, how are you supposed to know how to pay bills, cook, clean, and care for yourself when you go to college or move on with life??? That is what separates other countries from us, we assume (very mistakenly) that a child will somehow know these things when they turn 18, and/or that it is just their problem... Childhood isn't all for fun and games, it's to learn how to be a responsible adult before you're so old that you already know everything and won't listen...

There's also an emphasis on training your kids early because eventually they will take care of you.

Another valid point that we miss in this country...

There's a slight of hand at work. Life skills is one thing. Settling down and being "responsible," is as deliberately vague as being pro "family values."

I can see there's a marked lack of willingness to wear an ironic mustache much less the full f'n handlebar in our midst, so I will carry the torch.

All around is the product of a renaissance of irresponsible irreverence that only comes when women are free to control their reproductivity and therefore men are released from the pressure both to control women and to be controlled by the Clerics of Responsible Behavior. That say x by this age and so on.

We need but look to the humorless austerity of some cultures proliferating and competing for human adhereance today for evidence of our own development. Seth Macfarlane and people like him are culture makers that populate our lives with something beyond a routine of formulaic behaviors.

It is due to the burgeoning creativity of a restless and carefree extended adolescent male culture that we can laugh more despite sinking opportunities for all of us. Raising 7 children is some distant prairie narrative of American culture. Devoting oneself to marriage, procreation, and career timelines falls as we speak.

Depends on the person indeed.

But I cannot idly standby and be bathed in the superior morality of breeders.

I found it hard to go with 24-27, because I felt 24-25 was still a shade on the young side. Also, because 28-30 was where I was when I started. ^_^

My vote is also for whenever you are mature enough.

I am sometimes impressed by the maturity of some of the younger folks on pre-allo. Def. know some MUCH older "smart" folks IRL who are no where near some 22 year olds here in maturity and critical thinking ability.

I'll admit, I voted for the age bracket I'll be in when I apply to med school...but also because I have seen so many classmates go directly from undergrad to medical school and immediately regret their decision. I remember being 22 and I can't imagine being ready for something like medical school that young. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like I was barely qualified to write a 5-paragraph essay at that age.

There's no such thing as a "best age" to do anything except reproduce yourself.;)