What to include in your LORs

Started by park0235
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

park0235

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am an int'l medical student just about to start 3rd year (of a 4 year program) in Australia. I am eventually planning to go to the US to practice.

I would like to know for those of you who will be applying for US Residency positions, when it comes time to ask your supervisors (registrars, professors, GPs, etc.) for LORs, what would you ask them to include in the LOR they write up for you. I reckon if you ask someone to write a LOR for you and if they don't know exactly what to write in it then no matter how well you performed, you will probably end up getting a "crappy" LOR or a LOR that doesn't reflect your "true" abilities.

I am planning to write a "form letter" with which I can give to those people I would like to write a LOR for me. I know that some students may have already done this. If you already have made a document like the one I am trying to make could you please email me a copy ([email protected]). Does anyone have any good points to include in an LOR?

Thank you in advance for any input recieved.