Delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Commsky

Ants in your cereal.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tagged for deletion

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools in June you should receive several interviews. Your MCAT is competitive for any DO school though your GPA is below average for many.

You might want to consider shadowing a DO. Just looking at your app on paper, I haven't seen any interest shown in osteopathic medicine other than you don't think you can get into an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of the physicians I shadowed were DO's, I've made sure of that much at least. I figure manipulative medicine is an extra tool in the toolbox and offers some interesting ongoing research opportunities. Thank you for both of your responses. Are my clinical hours okay for this cycle?
You're a little on the low side, but not extremely so.

You're < tenth %ile for UCR, but I suppose someone has to be there, so why not you. For any other MD school, I think it will be a waste of time.

I think that if you apply broadly, that you'll be fine for many DO schools. Start with Western, yes, Western, Touro-CA, AZCOM, and TUNCOM. You might not get much love from CCOM, and I can't recommend LUCOM.

Hi everyone,

I've mainly lurked here for the past 3 years but now I'm ready to apply. My councilor has seemed fairly worried about me and it hasn't given me any confidence so I've just been stressing out lately so it would help to hear some voices other than his. I'm mainly applying broadly to osteopathic schools and so far have the strongest interest in family medicine which I'll mention in my personal statement.

Bachelor's in Entomology from UCR
3.3 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
Upward trend my junior and senior years, no failed classes.
31 MCAT
11 Physical
10 Verbal
10 Bio

Clinical
>200 hours of clinical volunteering and growing (I'm worried about this as everyone on sdn seems to have 1,000's), so far I've done medsurg and am currently in s/mICU
Shadowed 2 family physicians, LOR's from both, I'll probably only use one

EC's
1 year of research in engineering with 1 secondary publication
2 years of continuous research in entomology, not sure if a primary publication will be out in time for applications
2 years of math/science tutoring at a community college
2 years of student government in college as chief justice/treasurer
4 years of club treasurer, 2 years of continuous different entomology community outreach events
1 PI LOR, 1 very strong LOR from a lit professor I've become amazing friends with, 2 science LOR's

My councilor has me stressed to the point where I'd be happy to get in anywhere. I'd love to get into Western but they have an average 3.6 GPA so I know my GPA is a bit weak. I'm a fairly strong interviewer and I'm confident that if I can get an interview I can probably get in so I'm really wondering what my chances are at interviews for DO schools. I will be applying to UCR's SOM just because they do have reserved seats for UCR students but other than that all DO unless anyone has recommendations for another MD that I may as well apply to.

I'm also a UCR grad applying this cycle. I've been told of the 50 seats/class for the medical school, up to 24 seats are reserved specifically for UCR graduates. This is from a secondary source so I'm not 100% sure of it's authenticity so take it with a grain of salt. Also UCR loves URMs. Sadly I'm not a URM, but I still love UCR!!

Woops, just read your entire post and I see you already know about UCR's policy..

UCR, new private MD schools that have been open <4 years, and any DO school

Status
Not open for further replies.