A Doctor, A Lawyer, an … ? (NYC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoctoralawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a 41 y.o. lawyer in NYC looking to transition to family medicine. The myriads of options for post-baccs, med-schools and so on are getting very confusing. Advice and experience is appreciated -- here are the details:

- I want to become a doctor specifically to practice family medicine. I’m not doing this for the money (if it was $$$ I was after I would be a partner at a law firm making appr. $300-400k or more, or working at an investment fund). What are the best places to learn family medicine? That is, what schools would provide me with the best clinical skills, knowledge and practical experience to enable me to examine and treat patients as best as possible? I’ve heard that the atmosphere and practice in each particular school and the school’s emphasis on primary care (or lack thereof) can vary, and that this could affect the student’s experience at the school. If possible, I’d like to go to a school in or near New York City. I would also seriously consider DO schools if they are stronger in this regard.

- My undergrad background is in an unusual area, and I don’t have math or sciences, nor even English. What do people recommend for a post-bacc program? I want to stay in New York City. I’d like for classes to be in the evening if possible, so that I could continue to work full-time (40 hrs) to save money for med-school, although I’m nervous whether I’ll be able to get good grades while working full time, particularly if I’m in a program where I’m competing against top undergrads, such as Columbia. Should I consider an informal, do-it-yourself program at a city or state college? Among the formal post-bacc programs in NYC, which would people recommend? I’ve already looked into most of the programs in NYC but the many options, details and considerations are beginning to turn me bewildered.

- Background stats: My undergrad GPA was appr. 3.9. My law school GPA was in the low 3s, but this was at a top law school with a very strict and mandatory grading curve where the great majority of students GPA’d in the low to mid 3s. (In fact, the school has since eased their curve due to complaints.) I’m a good test-taker, having scored in the 99th percentile on the LSAT, and I expect (let me say “hope”) that I’ll do reasonably well on the MCAT - although definitely lower than 99th percentile.

Talk to me please…

Members don't see this ad.

You can take night classes and weekend classes at CUNY as a non-degree student. Tuition is fairly cheap ($300 something per credit). The application process is really easy too. The night classes start at 6 or 7 and end at 10 or 11. They should fit your schedule.

Post-bac programs are a dime a dozen, so you should easily find some int he NYC area. I estimate that it will take you ~2-3 years for you to get the pre-reqs in, and prepare for MCAT. Keep in mind that you're going to need the required shadowing and volunteer work as well. Note: Your law school GOA will be meaningless for applying to med school; your post-bac will need to be in the B+/A range. Bs will not cut it.

My allt-me oldest student was 53, so I thin kit's doable.

@Law2Doc , any input???

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, selecting what medical school to consider based on Primary care considerations isn't a concern. You should just focus on getting into medical school period. Particularly if you are thinking about staying in or near the city.

Time-line wise, with no pre-reqs and working full-time you're looking at roughly 3 years before you can apply to med school. This means you'll be around 45 when you start , 49 when you do residency and ~52 when you start practicing as a physician.

Of course, pre-reqs are just the tip of the iceberg for what you should do. Have you done any clinical volunteering? Community service? research? Shadowing? Unfortunately, since you are older you're going to really have to show that you know what you are getting into so having a clinical experience is pretty much required.

In terms of formal post-baccs in NYC, you've got Columbia, NYU, Hunter (CUNY) and CCNY (CUNY). I think Fordham might have one too but I don't know anything about it. If you can check out their schedules to see if anything works for you. Working full-time is going to be rough depending on how many courses you take.

All medical schools will prepare you adequately for training in any specialty. You need to understand that medical school isn't like law school where you come out ready to start practicing. The actual training for how to practice medicine doesn't occur in med school; that's why you have to do 3+ years of residency afterward. It is at the residency selection point that you need to worry about a program's strength in a specialty, not at the med school level.

If you want to become a FP, the primary consideration for you concerning selecting a medical school should be cost of attendance. It's all well and good to say that you don't care about the money now. But if you're trying to pay off half a million dollars' worth of debt on a FP's salary in NYC, all of a sudden you are going to start caring about the money....a lot. Along with attending the cheapest American school you can get accepted into, I recommend that you consider taking advantage of programs that will forgive student loans in return for you agreeing to practice for a certain number of years in an underserved location. (Note that this will probably not be NYC unless you're willing to practice in the inner city.)

Reactions: 1 users
Silly to presume you will like a specific specialty as a premed. Keep all doors open because in third year you will inevitably love the things you thought you'd hate and vice versa. I'm always leery of someone who leads with "it's not about money' because that makes me think it's about the money. Starting postbac at 41 means you'll be hitting the job market at about 50 so money better be very insignificant to you. Get A's in the prereqs someplace open enrollment and do health related EC that show that you know what you are getting yourself into. Have a good reason for medicine, why now.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all of your feedback. I understand now that I shouldn’t overthink the particular school at the outset of the process. One thing I haven’t figured out yet though is whether I’d be better off doing a standardized formal post-bacc, or taking courses on my own at a CUNY or another small school.

As I see it, the pros of a formal program are, 1) possibility that some med-schools will regard credits and grades from a good program, such as Columbia, more highly than freelance credits at a small school, 2) availability of pre-med advisor and letters of recommendation, 3) camaraderie of others going through the program with me, and working through set goals.

Pros of an informal program are, 1) classes may be easier, and I may grade better if I’m with a less competitive student body, and 2) it’s much less expensive. It may also be a little easier to work a full-time job since I might more easily find night classes and classes may be less challenging.

I’ve already looked into many of the programs in NYC and I’ve attended info sessions at some of them. For those of you that mentioned City College (CCNY), my major concern is that it’s apparently VERY difficult to get the classes you want because they’re oversubscribed and the undergrads get first choice.

People can successfully get into med school doing either formal or informal post bacs. From an adcom's perspective, it does not make the applicant more competitive if he comes from a formal post bac versus an informal one (with the major exception of post bac and SMP programs that are linked to certain med schools). But in general, the main thing that adcoms care about with regard to your post bac is your grades/GPA. So feel free to choose whichever option works better for you, and make sure you pull straight As (or as close to it as possible).

People can successfully get into med school doing either formal or informal post bacs. From an adcom's perspective, it does not make the applicant more competitive if he comes from a formal post bac versus an informal one (with the major exception of post bac and SMP programs that are linked to certain med schools). But in general, the main thing that adcoms care about with regard to your post bac is your grades/GPA. So feel free to choose whichever option works better for you, and make sure you pull straight As (or as close to it as possible).

Agree with this (that the grades are all that really matters) with one exception. The directors at the big name formal postbacs actually do get meetings with and sit down with deans of admission at various regional med schools every year and actively pitch their candidates. I dont know how much this helps, but if it didn't help they wouldn't keep doing it. So you lose that aspect, however much it's worth, in an informal program as well.

Hi. You can read some of my other posts in re: CCNY (and the same goes for Hunter). IMO the issue here is not scheduling or what have you. At 41, starting from scratch, the issue is time. If I had been working as an attorney when I started this process at 31 (thirty-one), I would have *instantly* gone to one of the expensive private one-year postbacs. Which is the quickest? Can you finish Columbia general studies in a year?

CCNY at night worked for me and I wouldn't trade that experience. BUT I am now an M1 at 37 and yes, I feel old. Here on the nontrad board, I might get a lot of replies saying, hey, this is your problem, there's an M2 at my school who's 75, blah blah blah, but the great majority of students are in their early-mid 20s. This is a fact and this 15-year age gap (in my case) is real.

Edited to add...then I won't belabor it further...I would like to think I am a friendly person and, yes, I can and do enjoy going out for the occasional beer with my "trad" colleagues aged 22 and 23. But we are at the outer limits of a peer/older contemporary relationship. The feeling is not unlike the gap between my brother and I as kids...when I was 12 and he was 7, we enjoyed building model rockets and watching American Gladiators together, and we did talk about our lives, but we were at the very outer edge of being able to relate as peers. This is an analogy...I'm not saying that trad students are like seven-year-olds.

I had other issues complicating my admission, but still: you don't choose the school, they choose you. So just apply widely and hope you have more than 1 or 2 options.

It's doable, but please, please don't schlep it out at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is even Columbia and NYU, at full-time, full day programs, take two years to finish. Same thing for Fordham, it's at least 1.5-2 years even if you do it full-time. I don't think there are any one-year programs in NYC for some reason. If I take a two year full time program, that's gonna cost me a lot in lost-salary, more than I can afford.

For sure, I think you're right. I don't think there's a one-year option in NYC. I mean that in hindsight I would have actually departed NYC and/or borrowed money in order to do the quickest program there is. You don't know me IRL, of course, but I would even have gone back to my parents far away to shave a year or two off--and from me, you'll have to trust me, that's really saying something. I did not realize, when I started the process, that by the end I would be well into the "long tail" of the age distribution. I will PM you the name of another user you should consult.

Now, listen, end of the day, only one year extra, does it matter? No. But the half-time school + work plan is at risk of turning into several extra years.

... If I take a two year full time program, that's gonna cost me a lot in lost-salary, more than I can afford.

If you look at it like this, its not a good career choice for you. The salary cant impact your decision here or its just a bad choice for a 41 year old to make -- you won't be earning much of a professionals salary until your 50s so money better not be driving force in this equation. The biggest hurdle people tend to create for thmselves is to rush things. If it takes an extra year to put you in a good position to get to where you want, you really have to do it. I know tons of people who ended up repeating things -- med school requirements, second intern years, second fellowships, all because they thought they found a shortcut. You will be working in medicine for 20-30 years if you are lucky. If you lose a year at the front end, you just have to stay sharp and healthy and add it on at the back end.

When I was a lawyer I dumped the job to do postbac full time. Took me a year and a half to get in all the coursework and reserch/ECs, and even that was probably rushing things a lot more than I probably should have done in retrospect. I got really lucky a few times in this process but I certainly could have seen things unfold very differently.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify my comments, I agree with Law2Doc about haste making waste...I am cautioning not against 2 years as opposed to 1, but specifically against the night school approach, which is a lot more than 2. Good luck!

First off, congratulations on deciding to make a career change this late in so that you are happier. I recommend trying to find the cheapest option so that you aren't in over your head with loans that can't be fully paid off until you're in your late 50s. Continuing to work while going to school will be hard, but likely the easiest way to help you avoid incurring additional loan debt. Best of luck to you if this is something that you decide to move forward with!

... I recommend trying to find the cheapest option so that you aren't in over your head with loans that can't be fully paid off until you're in your late 50s...!

He's starting in his 40s. If he needs any amount of loans he will likely be paying them off in his late 50s. So that ship has sailed.

Silly to presume you will like a specific specialty as a premed. Keep all doors open because in third year you will inevitably love the things you thought you'd hate and vice versa. I'm always leery of someone who leads with "it's not about money' because that makes me think it's about the money. Starting postbac at 41 means you'll be hitting the job market at about 50 so money better be very insignificant to you. Get A's in the prereqs someplace open enrollment and do health related EC that show that you know what you are getting yourself into. Have a good reason for medicine, why now.

I know you totally mean well Law. I usually don't question too much of what you say and value your opinion. But I feel it is a bit unfair to generalize. Here's why (but I admit I am in a very different field from the poster): I have exposure with fellows, residents, docs in just about all areas. While many of these areas are interesting in their own ways, I am at a place in life where the only thing that makes sense for me to move into is primary care. In fact, even if I were just out of HS and 4 years of college, I really don't think that surgery, for example, would be a good choice for me, and I know it is definitely not now. Some may disagree with me, but I have come to believe surgery involves special talent, which is above what is required in other areas of medicine. Yes, there is always a learning curve, but in my experience, it goes beyond that. Some people have it, and frankly, others don't. For me, surgery at any age doesn't make the most sense for me; a person has to have to have a lot of determination and desire to do it. Basics, OK. But most areas of surgical work and specialization--no. It is not my thing, and I think that is completely OK. But having worked with surgeons, yes. I have tons of respect for all they go through, all they do, and the exacting work that is required of them. I'd say the average person on the street really has no idea what they go through or what is required of them, and I am the first to put a nurse in place that gives them a lot of flack, b/c there are times when they comment out of utter ignorance.

Now, neither do I see myself as a medical examiner or radiologist. Why? Well, people for all their annoyances and quirks fascinate me, as do their pathologies, and seeing them through treatments or wellness goals or whatever their goals are in terms of managing their health.

Also, for people after 40, in general, a very long residency/fellowship process doesn't make sense to me. I am certain there are exceptions, but I believe they are rare. Again, maybe my perspective is as it is b/c I have been a RN in critical care for a long time. I am pretty sure about the path that makes the most sense for me, which is family medicine or at least one kind of primary care medicine. My problem is that I have enjoyed working in pediatrics as well adults in critical care and case mgt, and I would like to combine both peds and adults. In FM, I don't necessarily know if I will end up in a region that will have even 1/3 pediatrics. I am hoping that as I look to more remote areas in need of primary care, perhaps I will be fortunate enough to have a nice mix of adult and peds.

I think, in general, the later you start this process, the more limited your options in medicine. Of course for those that have many millions tucked away, who just want to pursue medicine at this point, well, that may not necessarily be as much of an issue. The cost and salary limitations upon completion of med school---residency/fellowship stipends--makes cost-benefit analyses necessary--regardless of how much you are doing this for the interest and have a sense of calling in medicine. And I am not talking about physical demands either, b/c unless you have something that is really tough to treat and control, you can work quite productively well into your 70's or so--especially in primary care medicine.

I think that you have to be reasonably sure that you will be able to go through the whole, long process, and dispose of the cost of medical education in a short period of time (ten years or less). It's at that point you can hopefully enjoy your work and be able to put extra money away, if you live in reasonable manner.

I have cars that have lasted well over ten years. My aspiration has never been to have a gigantic home. I am not one of these women with 20+ pairs of shoes. If people like that kind of thing, fine, but I don't see the point. I can surely "clean up nicely" for special and various occasions, but I am not some shoe or jewelry or clothes hoarder. I'd rather collect books--my dad started me on this, since he was a purveyor of history and willed to me many quality, first edition historical books. I'd rather selectively collect some good art, music, or grow vegetables and cook, as I have done since a child. In general, I am a person that enjoys relative simplicity in living. There is so much junk people hoard that they don't really need. I have seen where there are even plenty of men with significantly more shoes than I own. Point is, you don't need a whole lot to be a happy, productive person. So one of my goals would be to knock out whatever I must finance re: my education--doing the same to help my kids along the way.

Now, if I say, "I know I would excel in this role," I would invariably be called some idealistic idiotic that hasn't a clue that such would be the case. But I have real life clinical experience that indicates otherwise. Should I ignore this? Should I listen to what experienced medical people on an anonymous board say about me, without them actually knowing me?

I am becoming more and more clear that it's not necessarily a great idea to ask even experienced, anonymous people about what you should do with your life. Before the Internet was available and accessible as it is today, what would you have done? You would have talked to doctors, residents, fellows in person. You would have researched and spoken to good advisors. You would have thought long and hard about what the process entails and how it would fit with you and our life.

People have become lazy or are expecting too much from random folks on message boards.
Do the research. Make the questions specific as you can, and evaluate your own life and what the reality of the process is and how if will fit with your life now and in the future.

Seriously it is natural that people will be wary and cagey about your questions, especially if you haven't done your homework. And even then, they may still throw in their random perspectives of a YOU that they do not know. You are asking a lot from strangers--even experienced strangers.

Last edited:
I know you totally mean well Law. I usually don't question too much of what you say and value your opinion. But I feel it is a bit unfair to generalize. Here's why (but I admit I am in a very different field from the poster): I have exposure with fellows, residents, docs in just about all areas. While many of these areas are interesting in their own ways, I am at a place in life where the only thing that makes sense for me to move into is primary care. In fact, even if I were just out of HS and 4 years of college, I really don't think that surgery, for example, would be a good choice for me, and I know it is definitely not now. Some may disagree with me, but I have come to believe surgery involves special talent, which is above what is required in other areas of medicine. Yes, there is always a learning curve, but in my experience, it goes beyond that. Some people have it, and frankly, others don't. For me, surgery at any age doesn't make the most sense for me; a person has to have to have a lot of determination and desire to do it. Basics, OK. But most areas of surgical work and specialization--no. It is not my thing, and I think that is completely OK. But having worked with surgeons, yes. I have tons of respect for all they go through, all they do, and the exacting work that is required of them. I'd say the average person on the street really has no idea what they go through or what is required of them, and I am the first to put a nurse in place that gives them a lot of flack, b/c there are times when they comment out of utter ignorance.

Now, neither do I see myself as a medical examiner or radiologist. Why? Well, people for all their annoyances and quirks fascinate me, as do their pathologies, and seeing them through treatments or wellness goals or whatever their goals are in terms of managing their health.

Also, for people after 40, in general, a very long residency/fellowship process doesn't make sense to me. I am certain there are exceptions, but I believe they are rare. Again, maybe my perspective is as it is b/c I have been a RN in critical care for a long time. I am pretty sure about the path that makes the most sense for me, which is family medicine or at least one kind of primary care medicine. My problem is that I have enjoyed working in pediatrics as well adults in critical care and case mgt, and I would like to combine both peds and adults. In FM, I don't necessarily know if I will end up in a region that will have even 1/3 pediatrics. I am hoping that as I look to more remote areas in need of primary care, perhaps I will be fortunate enough to have a nice mix of adult and peds.

I think, in general, the later you start this process, the more limited your options in medicine. Of course for those that have many millions tucked away, who just want to pursue medicine at this point, well, that may not necessarily be as much of an issue. The cost and salary limitations upon completion of med school---residency/fellowship stipends--makes cost-benefit analyses necessary--regardless of how much you are doing this for the interest and have a sense of calling in medicine. And I am not talking about physical demands either, b/c unless you have something that is really tough to treat and control, you can work quite productively well into your 70's or so--especially in primary care medicine.

I think that you have to be reasonably sure that you will be able to go through the whole, long process, and dispose of the cost of medical education in a short period of time (ten years or less). It's at that point you can hopefully enjoy your work and be able to put extra money away, if you live in reasonable manner.

I have cars that have lasted well over ten years. My aspiration has never been to have a gigantic home. I am not one of these women with 20+ pairs of shoes. If people like that kind of thing, fine, but I don't see the point. I can surely "clean up nicely" for special and various occasions, but I am not some shoe or jewelry or clothes hoarder. I'd rather collect books--my dad started me on this, since he was a purveyor of history and willed to me many quality, first edition historical books. I'd rather selectively collect some good art, music, or grow vegetables and cook, as I have done since a child. In general, I am a person that enjoys relative simplicity in living. There is so much junk people hoard that they don't really need. I have seen where there are even plenty of men with significantly more shoes than I own. Point is, you don't need a whole lot to be a happy, productive person. So one of my goals would be to knock out whatever I must finance re: my education--doing the same to help my kids along the way.

Now, if I say, "I know I would excel in this role," I would invariably be called some idealistic idiotic that hasn't a clue that such would be the case. But I have real life clinical experience that indicates otherwise. Should I ignore this? Should I listen to what experienced medical people on an anonymous board say about me, without them actually knowing me?

I am becoming more and more clear that it's not necessarily a great idea to ask even experienced, anonymous people about what you should do with your life. Before the Internet was available and accessible as it is today, what would you have done? You would have talked to doctors, residents, fellows in person. You would have researched and spoken to good advisors. You would have thought long and hard about what the process entails and how it would fit with you and our life.

People have become lazy or are expecting too much from random folks on message boards.
Do the research. Make the questions specific as you can, and evaluate your own life and what the reality of the process is and how if will fit with your life now and in the future.

Seriously it is natural that people will be wary and cagey about your questions, especially if you haven't done your homework. And even then, they may still throw in their random perspectives of a YOU that they do not know. You are asking a lot from strangers--even experienced strangers.

My thoughts:
1. Yes surgery requires special talent but actually most medical specialties do. Some can be learned, some can't. A ton of doctors would make awful pediatricians, for example.
2. I'm not a big fan of the notion that if you start medicine late you are obligated to do a shorter residency path. If you are changing careers imho it had better be into what you really want. If the goal is just to get back into the workforce ASAP, don't make the jump. You can already earn a living doing something that isn't your calling without incurring postbac and med school debt. I mean you only live once so spend it doing or striving to do what you want/enjoy. It's the journey that matters, not the destination. Don't look back regretfully and say, if I only started sooner I could have done neurosurgery, but instead I became an allergist because the residency was really short. That's just a silly way to live life. Be a NS if that's your dream. Or at least go down swinging for the fences.
3. Instead of "medical examiner" you probably mean pathologist. There's a difference.
4. I agree that people need to do research and have a Pretty good idea of their own goals and dreams. I don't see a downside to asking experienced people their advice on how to get there once you do that. Pretty much daily on SDN some misimpression will be debunked. There's a lot of stuff you need to filter out on here but if you do it right a lot of the advice, particularly from those further down the rabbit hole who have seen how things play out, is often pretty darn good. Lots of doctors on here giving back to the community for all the free advice they themselves got early on. Milk it for all it's worth. You won't get this kind of experienced candor elsewhere.

jil lin, at the end of the day everything is a personal decision and you know yourself best and only you can make the best and also the wisest decision for yourself. In trying to reach that decision though, it's helpful to get the opinion of others, particularly those with experience, because you can't think of everything nor always understand what things will be like to you later on. But you can't unconditionally trust and follow everything that people tell you or you'll never figure anything out, particularly on boards like this where you're bound to get lots of differing and even conflicting advice.

To respond to the recent comments, I'm basically trying to figure out the best way to balance the various considerations, i.e., to do this with a sufficient amount of time and at the right school, but at the same time not lose more work time than necessary so that I can save money toward med-school and take out fewer loans. It's all a question of finding the balance that will work best for my particular situation.

My thoughts:
1. Yes surgery requires special talent but actually most medical specialties do. Some can be learned, some can't. A ton of doctors would make awful pediatricians, for example.
2. I'm not a big fan of the notion that if you start medicine late you are obligated to do a shorter residency path. If you are changing careers imho it had better be into what you really want. If the goal is just to get back into the workforce ASAP, don't make the jump. You can already earn a living doing something that isn't your calling without incurring postbac and med school debt. I mean you only live once so spend it doing or striving to do what you want/enjoy. It's the journey that matters, not the destination. Don't look back regretfully and say, if I only started sooner I could have done neurosurgery, but instead I became an allergist because the residency was really short. That's just a silly way to live life. Be a NS if that's your dream. Or at least go down swinging for the fences.
3. Instead of "medical examiner" you probably mean pathologist. There's a difference.
4. I agree that people need to do research and have a Pretty good idea of their own goals and dreams. I don't see a downside to asking experienced people their advice on how to get there once you do that. Pretty much daily on SDN some misimpression will be debunked. There's a lot of stuff you need to filter out on here but if you do it right a lot of the advice, particularly from those further down the rabbit hole who have seen how things play out, is often pretty darn good. Lots of doctors on here giving back to the community for all the free advice they themselves got early on. Milk it for all it's worth. You won't get this kind of experienced candor elsewhere.

LOL OMG Law, this is what I meant:

[Overview
The University of Maryland Medical System/Hospital and its affiliated hospitals, Veterans Administration Medical Center/Baltimore, Mercy Medical Center, and Medical Examiner's Office/State of Maryland, offer a four year, ACGME accredited residency program in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology. An Anatomic Pathology only pathway is also available on an individual basis.
Residents are provided a mandatory two-year core program in the basic principals of anatomic and clinical pathology. Rotations also include hematopathology, neuropathology and molecular diagnostics. Individuals with an interest in academic pathology will be encouraged to begin their research activities in the second and/or third year of training.
Third and Fourth year residents are provided ample opportunity for elective time in order to encourage individual subspecialty interests. The residency requirements are adapted to meet the educational and career objectives of each resident, while meeting the requirements of the American Board of Pathology and the ACGME. Senior training (yr. 3-4) includes rotations at the Medical Examiner, Electron Microscopy and in Cytogenetics in the Department of Pathology.]

Clearly there are different paths w/i pathology. For the love of God, it was an example, which I related to myself. At this point in my life, I had better have some idea of what would be a better fit for me and what would not. I have had an advantage in terms of having a closer perspective than others.

Point: Actually ME or other paths in that re: would be interesting; but that is NOT what I feel called to do. I am destined to deal with people and their disorders and txs. I actually would get a huge kick out of studying under a ME; but again, I totally don't feel called to do that, and my life thus far as not prepared me for that IMHO. Someone has to work with the living, talking, sometimes raging and annoyed masses of people. My top choice would be ED; but honestly, there is no way of getting around night rotations. I could do them for another 5-7 years, I'd say, but not much more than that w/o resentment. My Lord, I have done more than my share of long, nightshifts over the years. I'd have to pay that price all over again--ongoing; and I don't think that would be the best use of my education and experience. I love the ED. As much as I found/find it interesting and exciting at times, I was drawn more to intensive care--more in-depth evaluation of what's going on. I have always been drawn to that in my field. That is the patho side of me, but for the living people--or not limited to cytology reports and the like. And now, at this point in my life, no. I do not see the point of working a lot more years of off-shift. I will do what I must for school, as I have in my current job and then some. Fine. But I will get the best run and use out of this education and so forth, by working in primary care.

I personally don't see why people hold their noses at primary care. I have had the wild ride of critical care--given, as a RN--but it was still a long, cool ride, which has been great in many ways--hard, frustrating at times, but great. That's life. I spent the last year working more in a primary care role with high risk, very fragile peds pts. I have found it very rewarding. I don't feel like primary care is settling at all!

For many, it makes no sense to do a seven year residency/fellowship if they start later in life. It doesn't make good financial sense, and in general, it defies just plain ole good sense IMHO.

Sure not everyone would make a good pediatrician. Ah, and so what . . .does that have to do with the rice of beans in Mexico? I think I would make a great pathologist; but it's not my calling. Pathology, being a ME, any of these roles that limit a lot of interaction minute by minute interaction with various patients--these are important roles. It's not a role I feel called to do. I like dealing with kids--yes, even sick kids. I like dealing with adults. Primary care is a perfect role for me--as much as anything perfect can be in this imperfect world

It's nice for people to say, "Hey, on interviews tell the interviewees to tell the adcom members that you have an open mind." That's great for the 22 year olds, or perhaps even the 30 year olds. 40+ and up, well, the reality is that with perhaps a very few exceptions, people this age and up are limiting their selection-choices in medicine. I'm not looking at the odd exceptions. I would think for most, a 5 year residency would be the max for those 40 and UP. I mean you do have to have some sense of pragmatics here.

I am NOT going to tell ANYONE what to do one way or another. I have, however, a better idea of how I work and what fits for me than you do. You don't know anything substantial about me. By now you know I'm not 22. God I would hope you would value older applicants that do have a reasonable sense of fit--especially if they have already been working directly in acute healthcare for a substantial period of time.

As I said, I know darn well how difficult people can be when working with them on a daily basis. And I like people, and they tend to like me; but some folks can zap a lot out of you, if you let them. You just have to focus on their needs and do what you can and not let them get to you. That factor was there when I was 20 and working in healthcare and it remains today.

And you want to talk about pediatrics? Funny thing is some folks have this mistaken feeling that they will be dealing primarily with children. No, you will be evaluating/txing children medically, but you must know and care about interacting w/ parents and guardians. There is no free pass on that by going into pediatrics. So you are dealing with both kids and adults--and there are some times when it is hard to tell the difference.

So people that don't like dealing with all kinds of people with all kinds of various issues should re-think primary care IMHO or ED or Critical Care, but I am not one of those people. In fact, I highly respect the physician's ability to compassionately relate with patients and families in internal medicine, anesthesia, ED, intensive care medicine, and just about any other area of medicine where you will be spending most of your day talking and interacting with people.

And I am sorry, but there are a few too many nurses and docs that totally suck in dealing with people; b/c they expect reverence and respect from them. No. People under stress and in need can be a major pain in the butt, and some people are more gracious and grateful than others. Many an addict could not give two craps if they show you respect or suck up the time you give them, which you could better be using helping others many times--or at the very least, getting some well-needed nourishment. Regardless, they are damaged by the abuse/addiction, and you just can't expect a lot of love from them, if you know what I mean.

"Know thyself" is not simply an aphorism for the ancient Greeks.

I've done the work of a fair amount of that. So I don't feel stupid or naïve in anything I have learned about me through my journey of life and my work in healthcare over the years. Why indeed wouldn't I apply these experiences to m perspective in looking at what is more of a fit for me in medicine? It would be illogical for me not too do so.

As far as point no. 4 is concerned, I never said or implied otherwise. In fact I said people should do their homework and then ask more specific questions. Otherwise, a lot of these generalized questions are a waste of time, with people going back and forth and no one really getting anywhere.

IDK, I am not sure, but it feels like you are just being argumentative, and I don't really care about being argumentative. But why else would you make an issue about specific paths that come out of pathology--like trying to make me look stupid re: becoming a medical examiner? I know some folks that determined this path for themselves, even before the start of medical school, and they are happy in the role. I know a number of people that actually got enough clinical exposure, and in spite of their M3-M4 rotations, they knew what they wanted to pursue, and they are happy in their choices--choices they made before rotations. Although it may be a good, general admonition to tell pre-meds and med students to keep an open mind about medical area selection, it doesn't work that way for everyone. And do you know how many folks tell the adcoms and others the standard line of "I am going to keep an opinion mind?" Nice idea but it doesn't apply to everyone. I am certainly not going to be bogus and make such a statement to an adcom, b/c I am realistic. I am not the kind of person that generally tells people what I think they want to hear. I won't cross certain lines, but I am not going to be disingenuous about my aspirations.

Also, learning and performing basic surgical procedures is one thing, as I said. Making general surgery and then moving into a subspecialty of surgery, however, is a HUGE COMMITMENT. After having worked with surgeons, I'd say, you had better have a strong idea that you are fit for it and it is a fit for you, b/c it is a ball buster and then some. Again, I am not talking about learning the very basics. I will get all that I can out of these rotations in school; but no, I will not get a fire in my belly for it. I've been exposed to enough of it to know it's true. It can be interesting, and I respect 99.9% of all the surgeons I have been fortunate enough to work around. But really I know straightaway from experience, it's not for me. I have no problem, however, taking care of the patient pre-op or postop.

What's up Law? Darn, it's like the whole MBA thing. The reality is people keep asking general questions without doing their homework, and I just can't see them getting the kind of answers they need, so long as they don't do the work. I am also not a fan of generalizations.

Last edited:
jil lin, at the end of the day everything is a personal decision and you know yourself best and only you can make the best and also the wisest decision for yourself. In trying to reach that decision though, it's helpful to get the opinion of others, particularly those with experience, because you can't think of everything nor always understand what things will be like to you later on. But you can't unconditionally trust and follow everything that people tell you or you'll never figure anything out, particularly on boards like this where you're bound to get lots of differing and even conflicting advice.

You will find more of the specific answers by doing the research--and even by going through the search feature here.
There is no substitution for putting the time into researching the MSAR requirements, particular schools, etc.

The best you may be able to do is work while you do the postbacc courses. If you go to a formal pb, well, you will probably have to go to PT work, if possible or even no work at all. For example, Temple has a competitive full-time day post-back cert program, but if accepted, you are going be attending full-time during the day--and working hard to keep your grades up--it's a one year, intensive program. There are all types of these programs. There is a forum here for Postbacc with stickies as well. If you haven't, go research over there. Also:

https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Of course you can go to university PT, as you continue working in your current position. So, yea, it means a lot of time commitment, especially given your particular job and the need to ace the prereqs. Probably going to take you a couple years or more to do it right if you want to work. Fit in clinical experience and the other requirements. You are not too old; but whatever more money you plan to make in your current job will have to be gotten while you work FT and go to school pT, or, you may have to give up the job to do a FT PB.

Consider PMing Law2 doc or some of the other lawyer-->doctors here.

Last edited:
Well, now I understand why people who write lengthy posts put a 2 line TL;DR summary at the bottom of their comments. Neurosurgery was still a possibility for me at the beginning of this thread until I aged out at the bottom.

Reactions: 3 users

For many, it makes no sense to do a seven year residency/fellowship if they start later in life. It doesn't make good financial sense, and in general, it defies just plain ole good sense IMHO...

... I would think for most, a 5 year residency would be the max for those 40 and UP. I mean you do have to have some sense of pragmatics here...

What's up Law? Darn, it's like the whole MBA thing...

I didn't agree with your post on the MBA topic and definitely don't agree with your post that if you start medicine later in life you need to pick a short residency. There's nothing "pragmatic" about switching into medicine from another career in the first place so why start being pragmatic once you get in. Choose what you want to do and try to make it happen. If that means your useful work life will only be 25 years instead of 30 who cares? you only live once so try to grab that sucker by the horns or go down trying. You get paid during residency to train to do what you want to do, so it's not like you'll be penniless and broke, just poor. As mentioned if the goal is to just get back to the work force as soon as possible there are probably ways to do that without med school debt. That's my two cents.

Well, now I understand why people who write lengthy posts put a 2 line TL;DR summary at the bottom of their comments. Neurosurgery was still a possibility for me at the beginning of this thread until I aged out at the bottom.
Heh. I've never met jl lin IRL, but I am guessing she is not the strong, silent type. ;) You could always skim over the first and last paragraphs of her posts and skip the rest. That will give you the general gist.

As for the specialty argument between her and L2D, I take a middle position. Some residencies are much more realistic for older nontrads (over age 40) than others. NS is not going to be realistic for an older nontrad in most cases. Regardless of what they think they want, older nontrads will find they have significant external pressures that will tend to result in them winding up in primary care, not the least of which is that NS programs generally won't want a 45+-year-old intern....assuming said nontrad had good enough credentials to qualify for a NS residency in the first place. I would therefore try to dissuade an older nontrad from going to med school if their goal was to become a NS. In fact, the odds of an older nontrad going into any subspecialty are unlikely enough that, if an older nontrad knew they weren't going to be happy becoming a PCP, I would argue that they'd best not go to med school at all.

I take no position on the jl lin-L2D debate over whether an MBA is a professional degree, because I don't care. :)

... Regardless of what they think they want, older nontrads will find they have significant external pressures that will tend to result in them winding up in primary care, not the least of which is that NS programs generally won't want a 45+-year-old intern....assuming said nontrad had good enough credentials to qualify for a NS residency in the first place. I would therefore try to dissuade an older nontrad from going to med school if their goal was to become a NS. In fact, the odds of an older nontrad going into any subspecialty are unlikely enough that, if an older nontrad knew they weren't going to be happy becoming a PCP, I would argue that they'd best not go to med school at all...

Let me clarify. I too would dissuade someone from going to med school if they think they would only be happy in derm, ortho, NS etc. Odds aren't good and when making the decision to go to med school you'd be better off with an open mind and happy just to be a doctor than pining for the long shot. But once you get into med school and are doing well, I see no good reason to start nixing specialties you find interesting just because you are already eg 40. You still potentially have a 30 year career. So what if you spend an extra couple of those in residency if you are enjoying it? I get that some fields might not be as receptive to the older crowd, but I'd say make them nix you, don't nix yourself. You might be surprised who they let slip through. And if not at least you tried and won't spend any time kicking yourself for the shot not taken.

Let me clarify. I too would dissuade someone from going to med school if they think they would only be happy in derm, ortho, NS etc. Odds aren't good and when making the decision to go to med school you'd be better off with an open mind and happy just to be a doctor than pining for the long shot. But once you get into med school and are doing well, I see no good reason to start nixing specialties you find interesting just because you are already eg 40. You still potentially have a 30 year career. So what if you spend an extra couple of those in residency if you are enjoying it? I get that some fields might not be as receptive to the older crowd, but I'd say make them nix you, don't nix yourself. You might be surprised who they let slip through. And if not at least you tried and won't spend any time kicking yourself for the shot not taken.
That was an entire paragraph to basically say we agree. :p

I didn't agree with your post on the MBA topic and definitely don't agree with your post that if you start medicine later in life you need to pick a short residency. There's nothing "pragmatic" about switching into medicine from another career in the first place so why start being pragmatic once you get in. Choose what you want to do and try to make it happen. If that means your useful work life will only be 25 years instead of 30 who cares? you only live once so try to grab that sucker by the horns or go down trying. You get paid during residency to train to do what you want to do, so it's not like you'll be penniless and broke, just poor. As mentioned if the goal is to just get back to the work force as soon as possible there are probably ways to do that without med school debt. That's my two cents.

Law I get your points. The MBA thread comments had nothing to do with anything. They amounted to opinions/perspectives, but not on definition. Regardless, as I said there and say here--none of that really matters; b/c in reality, our main points are the same.
So, there is nothing to get all "Hey I don't agree about." If you don't agree that MBA is a professional degree, take it up with the schools of higher education. I didn't define whether it is or is not. And frankly, I really don't care. Why? B/c our essential message to the OP was the same. And the whole MBA was tangential.

Now about going into medicine to do what you want, I, once again, do not necessarily disagree with you. But I think it's, in general, evident that at a certain age--and yes I fully well know individuals that are the exceptions--but IN GENERAL, certain doors are going to be closed or very, very hard to push through. I don't make the rules. It's no different when you consider that competitiveness of certain kinds of residency programs. Two people with the same number; but one is younger. The residency is long--such as surgery or say, to become a neonatologist. The probability is that the younger person with the same numbers will be more likely to get the offer. Again, few, extraordinary exceptions aside.

In principle I agree with your theory about the journey and going through the ride--so the person should soak up and get as much out of any part of the journey as possible. But as gyngyn basically suggested to one of my posts, they have to think about how that money is being used to educate the student, and what will be the best probability of return. Sure, I can see strong flaws in the argument--based primarily on the individual--case-by-case--and based on the overall application. It does make sense, however, that when money and seats are limited, people would want society to get the biggest bang for their buck--or at the very least--to be good or the potentially greater (over time) stewards of those funds.

I don't know what kind of medicine you are in; but come on. You can't see that in general, surgery--general surgery to various specializations in surgery, such as neurosurgery or pediatric CT surgery are pretty much the younger people's game???? When I was in my 20's, I watched it. Those people were always pushing, always dragging--and more so than other residents and fellows.

And to this I say, "Don't worry. They will. Rare exceptions aside." I again am not telling anyone what to do--one way or another--like others maybe. But the numbers are what they are. If you are happy to pursue something that will likely produce a better probability of results, then do it.

I am fully content to work in primary care--in fact, am thrilled about it. There is a need there, and I am happy to do my part to fill it. I am fortunate. I have seen a lot of stuff. Good for me. I am not saying I am 100% incapable of changing my mind; bc we all know it's a woman's prerogative to do so. ;)

What I am saying is, I probably will not. What I am saying is there is a great need for primary care physicians in various areas. What I am saying is this is what I feel called or compelled to do. If a person feels otherwise, well, whatever! Go for it.

But when you feel strongly about doing primary care medicine from jump street, it's good. B/c there is need there. What is wrong with that?
Going into cards in certain areas or even becoming a lawyer in certain areas is going to render certain folks frustrated. For areas close to me, these regions are inundated with cardiologists and lawyers. Common sense will tell you, unless you are in with certain folks, be prepared to move to practice and hope to get ahead. No I am not talking millions. In certain areas these two kinds of professionals are a dime a dozen.

Of the many kinds of professional roles to choose, it makes good sense to consider where the needs are. When I first got out of nursing school, the needs were great in critical care, and it was an area that I was greatly interested in. I knew from jump street this is probably where I would end up, and I was not disappointed in that choice.

Finally, let's please respect opinions, not stretch out what someone has said beyond it's true meaning, and in doing so, add to unnecessary dissension.
I care about the discussion, not about trying to make someone else look bad or stupid or whatever.

LOL OMG Law, this is what I meant:

[Overview
The University of Maryland Medical System/Hospital and its affiliated hospitals, Veterans Administration Medical Center/Baltimore, Mercy Medical Center, and Medical Examiner's Office/State of Maryland, offer a four year, ACGME accredited residency program in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology. An Anatomic Pathology only pathway is also available on an individual basis.
Residents are provided a mandatory two-year core program in the basic principals of anatomic and clinical pathology. Rotations also include hematopathology, neuropathology and molecular diagnostics. Individuals with an interest in academic pathology will be encouraged to begin their research activities in the second and/or third year of training.
Third and Fourth year residents are provided ample opportunity for elective time in order to encourage individual subspecialty interests. The residency requirements are adapted to meet the educational and career objectives of each resident, while meeting the requirements of the American Board of Pathology and the ACGME. Senior training (yr. 3-4) includes rotations at the Medical Examiner, Electron Microscopy and in Cytogenetics in the Department of Pathology.]

Clearly there are different paths w/i pathology. For the love of God, it was an example, which I related to myself. At this point in my life, I had better have some idea of what would be a better fit for me and what would not. I have had an advantage in terms of having a closer perspective than others.

Point: Actually ME or other paths in that re: would be interesting; but that is NOT what I feel called to do. I am destined to deal with people and their disorders and txs. I actually would get a huge kick out of studying under a ME; but again, I totally don't feel called to do that, and my life thus far as not prepared me for that IMHO. Someone has to work with the living, talking, sometimes raging and annoyed masses of people. My top choice would be ED; but honestly, there is no way of getting around night rotations. I could do them for another 5-7 years, I'd say, but not much more than that w/o resentment. My Lord, I have done more than my share of long, nightshifts over the years. I'd have to pay that price all over again--ongoing; and I don't think that would be the best use of my education and experience. I love the ED. As much as I found/find it interesting and exciting at times, I was drawn more to intensive care--more in-depth evaluation of what's going on. I have always been drawn to that in my field. That is the patho side of me, but for the living people--or not limited to cytology reports and the like. And now, at this point in my life, no. I do not see the point of working a lot more years of off-shift. I will do what I must for school, as I have in my current job and then some. Fine. But I will get the best run and use out of this education and so forth, by working in primary care.

I personally don't see why people hold their noses at primary care. I have had the wild ride of critical care--given, as a RN--but it was still a long, cool ride, which has been great in many ways--hard, frustrating at times, but great. That's life. I spent the last year working more in a primary care role with high risk, very fragile peds pts. I have found it very rewarding. I don't feel like primary care is settling at all!

For many, it makes no sense to do a seven year residency/fellowship if they start later in life. It doesn't make good financial sense, and in general, it defies just plain ole good sense IMHO.

Sure not everyone would make a good pediatrician. Ah, and so what . . .does that have to do with the rice of beans in Mexico? I think I would make a great pathologist; but it's not my calling. Pathology, being a ME, any of these roles that limit a lot of interaction minute by minute interaction with various patients--these are important roles. It's not a role I feel called to do. I like dealing with kids--yes, even sick kids. I like dealing with adults. Primary care is a perfect role for me--as much as anything perfect can be in this imperfect world

It's nice for people to say, "Hey, on interviews tell the interviewees to tell the adcom members that you have an open mind." That's great for the 22 year olds, or perhaps even the 30 year olds. 40+ and up, well, the reality is that with perhaps a very few exceptions, people this age and up are limiting their selection-choices in medicine. I'm not looking at the odd exceptions. I would think for most, a 5 year residency would be the max for those 40 and UP. I mean you do have to have some sense of pragmatics here.

I am NOT going to tell ANYONE what to do one way or another. I have, however, a better idea of how I work and what fits for me than you do. You don't know anything substantial about me. By now you know I'm not 22. God I would hope you would value older applicants that do have a reasonable sense of fit--especially if they have already been working directly in acute healthcare for a substantial period of time.

As I said, I know darn well how difficult people can be when working with them on a daily basis. And I like people, and they tend to like me; but some folks can zap a lot out of you, if you let them. You just have to focus on their needs and do what you can and not let them get to you. That factor was there when I was 20 and working in healthcare and it remains today.

And you want to talk about pediatrics? Funny thing is some folks have this mistaken feeling that they will be dealing primarily with children. No, you will be evaluating/txing children medically, but you must know and care about interacting w/ parents and guardians. There is no free pass on that by going into pediatrics. So you are dealing with both kids and adults--and there are some times when it is hard to tell the difference.

So people that don't like dealing with all kinds of people with all kinds of various issues should re-think primary care IMHO or ED or Critical Care, but I am not one of those people. In fact, I highly respect the physician's ability to compassionately relate with patients and families in internal medicine, anesthesia, ED, intensive care medicine, and just about any other area of medicine where you will be spending most of your day talking and interacting with people.

And I am sorry, but there are a few too many nurses and docs that totally suck in dealing with people; b/c they expect reverence and respect from them. No. People under stress and in need can be a major pain in the butt, and some people are more gracious and grateful than others. Many an addict could not give two craps if they show you respect or suck up the time you give them, which you could better be using helping others many times--or at the very least, getting some well-needed nourishment. Regardless, they are damaged by the abuse/addiction, and you just can't expect a lot of love from them, if you know what I mean.

"Know thyself" is not simply an aphorism for the ancient Greeks.

I've done the work of a fair amount of that. So I don't feel stupid or naïve in anything I have learned about me through my journey of life and my work in healthcare over the years. Why indeed wouldn't I apply these experiences to m perspective in looking at what is more of a fit for me in medicine? It would be illogical for me not too do so.

As far as point no. 4 is concerned, I never said or implied otherwise. In fact I said people should do their homework and then ask more specific questions. Otherwise, a lot of these generalized questions are a waste of time, with people going back and forth and no one really getting anywhere.

IDK, I am not sure, but it feels like you are just being argumentative, and I don't really care about being argumentative. But why else would you make an issue about specific paths that come out of pathology--like trying to make me look stupid re: becoming a medical examiner? I know some folks that determined this path for themselves, even before the start of medical school, and they are happy in the role. I know a number of people that actually got enough clinical exposure, and in spite of their M3-M4 rotations, they knew what they wanted to pursue, and they are happy in their choices--choices they made before rotations. Although it may be a good, general admonition to tell pre-meds and med students to keep an open mind about medical area selection, it doesn't work that way for everyone. And do you know how many folks tell the adcoms and others the standard line of "I am going to keep an opinion mind?" Nice idea but it doesn't apply to everyone. I am certainly not going to be bogus and make such a statement to an adcom, b/c I am realistic. I am not the kind of person that generally tells people what I think they want to hear. I won't cross certain lines, but I am not going to be disingenuous about my aspirations.

Also, learning and performing basic surgical procedures is one thing, as I said. Making general surgery and then moving into a subspecialty of surgery, however, is a HUGE COMMITMENT. After having worked with surgeons, I'd say, you had better have a strong idea that you are fit for it and it is a fit for you, b/c it is a ball buster and then some. Again, I am not talking about learning the very basics. I will get all that I can out of these rotations in school; but no, I will not get a fire in my belly for it. I've been exposed to enough of it to know it's true. It can be interesting, and I respect 99.9% of all the surgeons I have been fortunate enough to work around. But really I know straightaway from experience, it's not for me. I have no problem, however, taking care of the patient pre-op or postop.

What's up Law? Darn, it's like the whole MBA thing. The reality is people keep asking general questions without doing their homework, and I just can't see them getting the kind of answers they need, so long as they don't do the work. I am also not a fan of generalizations.
didnt-read-lol-gif-6.gif

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't agree that MBA is a professional degree, take it up with the schools of higher education. I didn't define whether it is or is not. And frankly, I really don't care. Why? B/c our essential message to the OP was the same. And the whole MBA was tangential....

1. Agree this is tangntial. But I don't have to take my definition up with schools of higher education, actually -- you might. ;) Their definition 100% agrees with mine. An MBA is not a preprofessional degree. It's not a doctorate. It's not a degree required for starting in business. Most in business won't have one. It's a career enhancement. The majority of MBA students have their degrees paid for by employers. By contrast to work in law, medicine, dentistry you need a Professional degree or you can't. That's why MBA can't be lumped in with these.

2. I still disagree that there's anything wrong with a nontrad swinging for the fences, and certainly know that a lot of the doors to specialties are in fact not as tightly sealed shut as you postulate. We can agree to disagree.

3. I never said there was anything wrong with primary care, and if that interests you by all means go for it. The profession needs more good primary care people who are excited about that role. But you don't change careers just to fill a need, you do it because you've found something you think you will enjoy. Life is too short to choose a job just because it's a path of less resistance. So my point isn't really directed to you who seems to want to do primary care, my point is to the guy who really wants to do that 5-7 year residency field but becomes a primary care doctor because he convinces himself he started too late. That's what I object to. Make THEM say no, don't do it to yourself. I've seen more than a few nontrads slip through these supposedly tightly closed doors.

1. Agree this is tangntial. But I don't have to take my definition up with schools of higher education, actually -- you might. ;) Their definition 100% agrees with mine. An MBA is not a preprofessional degree. It's not a doctorate. It's not a degree required for starting in business. Most in business won't have one. It's a career enhancement. The majority of MBA students have their degrees paid for by employers. By contrast to work in law, medicine, dentistry you need a Professional degree or you can't. That's why MBA can't be lumped in with these.

2. I still disagree that there's anything wrong with a nontrad swinging for the fences, and certainly know that a lot of the doors to specialties are in fact not as tightly sealed shut as you postulate. We can agree to disagree.

3. I never said there was anything wrong with primary care, and if that interests you by all means go for it. The profession needs more good primary care people who are excited about that role. But you don't change careers just to fill a need, you do it because you've found something you think you will enjoy. Life is too short to choose a job just because it's a path of less resistance. So my point isn't really directed to you who seems to want to do primary care, my point is to the guy who really wants to do that 5-7 year residency field but becomes a primary care doctor because he convinces himself he started too late. That's what I object to. Make THEM say no, don't do it to yourself. I've seen more than a few nontrads slip through these supposedly tightly closed doors.

You can have the final word if want; but by every school, it is defined as a professional degree. I really can't lose sleep over it. The bigger point is that if you are looking to make some money in a career--people can do so w/o going through the numerous and extensively involved hoops that medicine requires. I think we all get that, no? There is no shortage of people that will tell you medicine after 40 is not worth it financially and perhaps in other ways. I don't agree with this--and yet for other people, sure, why not? I do agree. Like I said in the other thread--it's such an individual thing to ask. Law2doc, honestly, such questions truly baffle me; b/c how will anyone tell anyone else if it is worth it or not FOR THEM?
See what I mean? I can't tell you if it was worth it for your life. How in the world would I be able to begin to know the answer to that? It's a ridiculous question--though it's not really the question in this particular thread.

What you certainly can address better than the rest of us is from your perspective--having been a lawyer--if the switch was worth it to you--and why it was or why not--and more specifically, how the heck the guy can keep his day job while acing his pre-reqs--to which, in his particular field--and again not having worked in it AT ALL, I will say good luck. You would know tons more than my two bits of nothing on that. I just have lawyer friends, and they seem to work their azzes off too--in office, research, court, and at home--even with help. The very experienced local, family attorney friends are the exceptions, but they aren't making a boatload of money--and really they seem OK with that. So, I think you are probably one of the best people to answer the OPs questions. Even then, however, it's tough--b/c you are not the OP and the OP is not you.

2./3. Nice use of the baseball metaphor. :cool: Making THEM say no. . .well, that's nice; but people shouldn't be led down the garden path when taking on such a high cost--money, time, energy, other intangibles---such as the toll on relationships and so forth. Are you saying that it will be just as easy for 40+ folks to get into some of these longer and often more demanding residency program as it would be for the 2o/30 somethings???? See, that seems a bit misleading to me. IF you were the exception, that is absolutely great!!! Truly! But is it fair or completely on the up and up to suggest that 40+ers have the same shot getting into some of these residency programs as their younger cohorts?

So, when a fair percentage don't make it into such programs, are they then going to "settle" for primary care? After shelling out all the dough and time and energy? Are they going to continue on in transitional year only to hope to beat the competition later? If they have dough to cover the loss of income during that time, then I say, great. But if they don't, are they going to feel like they have "settled" by doing primary care? I mean people really have to give this some serious thought. Heck, as it is, even with great grades and a decent MCAT, there is still the good chance that they (myself included) will not get accepted in MS, especially allopathic--not that I really care. They are going to play the numbers, right, wrong, or indifferent. That's what they feel is responsible, and only a few token oldies at 40+ may get in to MS programs--DO or MD.

[As an somewhat related but still off-topic side note: Honestly, I do have some concerns about the whole OMT issue. I mean, I am not against it; but it's tough to be hog-wild for it, b/c of the inability to study its efficaciousness by use of double-blind studies. (Anecdotally, I will say that it helped me when I was pregnant; but it lasted only a month or so. And this doc was old school, and just generally a good doc all the way around. But my month of feeling better is hardly scientific.) I will also say that a great many things in all of medicine have not be evaluated by double-blind studies, so. . . .

But I'm concerned, b/c I really don't want to make anyone's particular problem worse. How do I know this, if we can't fully study OMT beyond the anecdotal--and even the empirical seems blurry to me. How can we know if we are truly helping, hurting, or doing nothing at all? Hmmm. Maybe this is a good reason to actually attend a DO school??? :) I've often thought that if they studied it against say chiropractic procedures, could this give us more insight into its efficacy of use? I guess I am nervous b/c I have seen people get various kinds of manipulations, and there were no xrays or anything--and some of these patients make me nervous. Heck, my mother had spinal surgery and she had the top surgeon or neurosurg do the work--not an orthopedic surgeon. And it was a huge surgery, and all came out well. But the thought of hurting someone, as a nurse or doctor is heavy. Other than my short experiences with receiving it--and then the DO doc died in a freak accident, and he was the only one I trusted with it, other than that--I don't know enough about it; so I can't pass any real judgment. All I can say was the DO that used OMT on me helped me twice, and the effects lasted about a month each time. No drugs, no nothing, just his hands and skill. I was a littled annoyed he has that freak accident; b/c selfishly, I could have used him at other times. May he RIP.

All I know is that I would have to learn about it if I were accepted into a DO school, and I am wondering why this couldn't be made as optional for study. I mean if the bulk of the medicine is essentially the same as what is seem in an allopathic school, and there isn't anything strongly definitive on the use of OMT, shoot. Why not offer is as an option to med students? (I probably caused some osteopaths to roll over in their graves. Sorry. :) ) At any rate, I found this systematic review but it was from a C&MT journal: http://www.chiromt.com/content/21/1/34. Right now I can't get into my libraries databases to read the whole thing. And YES, I know I digress--sorry; but I have read a lot of concerns along this line from pre-osteo to osteopathic med students. So not applying to DO isn't really an options for older students, and then if you get accepted, not doing OMT in school is not an option. 40+ must apply to broad range of schools, hoping for a chance at becoming a physician--and I say those that are older better include the DO schools in the mix; B/C we are 40+--yes, just b/c of a BD. With all the tomes of things you have to learn in medical school, and on top of this, there is OMT. It might be worth learning. I can't say. IDK, maybe it does add to true healing. My MIL's muscles and vertebrae are so frail, that I just don't think OMT is a good idea for her Again, I am not saying whether it does or it doesn't work for select patients. And I believe in taking a holistic approach. I believe in the value of the human touch. I have certainly calmed enough babies, kids, and adults to see the calming effect touch can have for many; but this is not true for all. Whether pain is relieved or not some people, even some babies do not want to be touched a lot. It's the individual. But in general, I can look up at the monitor and tell the baby is chilling out from being held in my arms--even if that annoying ETT in--just as I can see a post-op CT pt's BP and HR go down after given effective post-up analgesia. And again, truth be told, not everyone responds well to human touch--even from those that are the most soothing and compassionate. That's just how complex human beings can be. So, I am a little nervous about OMT--not terribly so--but enough to bring pause. NONETHELESS, I have to be honest and accept that at my age, the DO path may be more open to me than allopathy--not b/c of MCATs--haven't taken them yet. Not b/c of my university GPA, b/c it's better than good. The main reason is b/c of my age==being over 40. Heck there is an attending on SDN that talked about her bad experiences when applying to DOs schools, and the issue in fact ended up being her age. She was 40 something. Yes. She was ultimately accepted elsewhere, so she didn't pursue an EEOC against the other school. But apparently age is also an issue in osteopathic medical schools.--even if it is considered illegal. There is always the time and hassle and expense of legal battles. The person let it go b/c she got in elsewhere. It was her choice not to fight the blatant discrimination; but she needed to get on with her life. Those that do wrong are often counting on this--or they rationalize and don't feel like it is wrong to turn away someone primarily b/c of age.The truth is, age shouldn't be a factor, but it IS CLEARLY IS. Anyone that says otherwise is not being a 100% honest. I applaud those here that had the courage to say the truth about age discrimination--even though they didn't use that term, and even though I didn't agree with them--b/c I feel it really depends on the individual.]

At any rate, Law2, whether you think so or not, I have enjoyed discussing things with you. Thanks for that. :)

Re: a return specifically to your points 2. and 3., I submit below a quote from the Much Older thread.

This is what was given by gyngyn in the Much Older thread. Certainly gyngyn is highly knowledgeable about medical school admissions, and gyngyns statements were liked or seconded by Goro, who is also knowledgeable in this regard. (Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the other people that liked the reply.)

"Most of the cost of training a physician is borne by the public (even at private schools). As stewards of a precious resource, we make choices that reflect the greater good. The personal fulfillment of an individual candidate is of lesser importance. If your transformation into a physician is likely to give the public (or your classmates) great value, then your chances are good. A commitment to service is required, but the opportunity to do so will also be considered. "

gyngyn, Oct 27, 2014
Like − Quote Reply
sunshinefl, johnamo and Goro like this.

To me, when gyngyn posted that, I gave it and still give it full and serious attention--and I have been seeking this path as one looking for primary care. The reality is that it makes much sense. And that is what I meant by going where the need is. If you have no interest in doing so, well, maybe a different line of work is something you should consider. If you feel you can roll the die and take your chances, go for it. But med schools and residencies have to take the Rolling Stones approach, (That is, keeping the drugs and 60's politics out of it): "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

Once more, not gonna tell someone not to "hit that ball into the fence," I am just saying, don't be shocked if, due to need, it's called foul.

Last edited:
You can have the final word if want; but by every school, it is defined as a professional degree. I really can't lose sleep over it. The bigger point is that if you are looking to make some money in a career--people can do so w/o going through the numerous and extensively involved hoops that medicine requires. I think we all get that, no? There is no shortage of people that will tell you medicine after 40 is not worth it financially and perhaps in other ways. I don't agree with this--and yet for other people, sure, why not? I do agree. Like I said in the other thread--it's such an individual thing to ask. Law2doc, honestly, such questions truly baffle me; b/c how will anyone tell anyone else if it is worth it or not FOR THEM?
See what I mean? I can't tell you if it was worth it for your life. How in the world would I be able to begin to know the answer to that? It's a ridiculous question--though it's not really the question in this particular thread.

What you certainly can address better than the rest of us if from your perspective--having been a lawyer--if the switch was worth it to you--and why it was or why not. I think you are probably one of the best people to answer such a question. Even then, however, it's tough--b/c you are not the OP and the OP is not you.

2./3. Nice use of the baseball metaphor. Making THEM say no. . .well, that's nice; but people shouldn't be led down the garden path when taking on such a high cost--money, time, energy, other intangibles---such as the toll on relationships and so forth. Are you saying that it will be just as easy for 40+ folks to get into some of these longer and often more demanding residency program as it would be for the 2o/30 somethings. See, that seem a bit misleading to me. IF you are the exception, that is absolutely great! But is it fair or completely on the up and up to suggest that 40+ers have the same shot getting into some of these residency programs as their younger cohorts? So, when a fair percentage don't make it into such programs, are they then going to "settle" for primary care? After shelling out all the dough and time and energy? Are they going to continue on in transitional year only to hope to beat the competition later? If they have dough to cover the loss of income during that time, then I say, great. But if they don't, are they going to feel like they have "settled" by doing primary care? I mean people really have to give this some serious thought. Heck, as it is, even with great grades and a decent MCAT, there is still the good chance that they or we will not get accepted in MS, especially allopathic--not that I really care.

[OT side note: Although I do have some concerns about the whole OMT issue. I mean, I am not against it; but it's tough to be hog-wild for it, b/c of the inability to study its efficaciousness by use of double-blind studies. Though a great many things in all of medicine have not be evaluated by double-blind studies, so. . . But I really don't want to make anyone's particular problem worse. How do I know this, if we can't fully study OMT beyond the anecdotal--and even the empirical seems blurry to me. How can we know if we are truly helping, hurting, or doing nothing at all? Hmmm. Maybe this is a good reason to actually attend a DO school??? I've often thought that if they studied it against say chiropractic procedures, could this give us more insight into its use? I guess I am nervous b/c I have seen people get various kinds of manipulations, and there were no xrays or anything--and some of these patients make me nervous. But honestly, I don't know enough about it; so I can't pass any real judgment. All I know is that I would have to learn about it if I were accepted into a DO school, and I am wondering why this couldn't be made as optional for study. I mean if the bulk of the medicine is essentially the same as what is seem in an allopathic school, and there isn't anything strongly definitive on the use of OMT, shoot. Why not offer is as an option to med students. (I probably caused some osteopaths to roll over in their graves. Sorry. :) ) At any rate, I found this systematic review http://www.chiromt.com/content/21/1/34 ; but right now I can't get into my libraries databases to read the whole thing. And YES, I know I digress; but I have read a lot of concerns along this line from pre-osteo to osteopathic med students. Now doing this is not an option, as those of us that are 40+ must apply to such schools hoping for a chance at becoming a physician--and I say those that are older better include the DO scores in the mix; B/C we are 40+--yes, just b/c of a BD. With all the tomes of things you have to learn in medical school, and on top of this, there is OMT, and we can't really say that it is truly healing. IDK, maybe it does add to true healing. Again, I am not saying whether it does or it doesn't. I believe in taking a holistic approach. I believe in the value of the human touch. I have certainly calmed enough babies, kids, and adults to see the calming effect touch can have for many--not all. Shoot, I can look up at the monitor and tell the baby is chilling out from being held in my arms--just as I can see a post-op CT pt's BP and HR go down after given effective post-up analgesia. And truth be told, not everyone responds well to human touch--even from those that are the most soothing and compassionate. That's just how complex human beings can be. But truly, I am a little nervous about OMT--not terribly so--but enough to bring pause. NONETHELESS, I have to be honest and accept that at my age, the DO path may be more open to me than allopathy--not b/c of MCATs--haven't taken them yet. Not b/c of my university GPA, b/c it's better than good. The main reason is b/c of my age==being over 40. Heck there is an attending on SDN that talked about her bad experiences when applying to DOs schools, and the issue in fact ended up being her age. She was 40 something, and I don't remember the exact end digit. Yes. She was accepted elsewhere, so she didn't pursue an EEOC against the other school. But apparently age is also an issue in osteopathic medical schools. The truth is, though age shouldn't be a factor, IS CLEARLY IS.]

At any rate, Law2, whether you think so or not, I have enjoyed discussing things with you. Thanks for that. :)

Re a return specifically to your points 2. and 3., I submit the following:

This is what was given by gyngyn in the Much Older thread. Certainly gyngyn is highly knowledgeable about medical school admissions, and gyngyns statements were liked or seconded by Goro, who is also knowledgeable in this regard. (Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the other people that liked the reply.)

"Most of the cost of training a physician is borne by the public (even at private schools). As stewards of a precious resource, we make choices that reflect the greater good. The personal fulfillment of an individual candidate is of lesser importance. If your transformation into a physician is likely to give the public (or your classmates) great value, then your chances are good. A commitment to service is required, but the opportunity to do so will also be considered. "

gyngyn, Oct 27, 2014
#12 Like − Quote Reply
sunshinefl, johnamo and Goro like this.

To me, when gyngyn posted that, I gave it and still give it full attention. And the reality is that it makes much sense. And that is what I meant by going where the need is. If you have no interest in doing so, well, maybe a different line of work is something you should consider. They have to take the Rolling Stones approach (That is, keeping the drugs and 60's politics out of it): "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

Once more, not gonna tell someone not to "hit that ball into the fence," I am just saying, don't be shocked if, due to need, it's called foul.

It's too hard to respond to specific points in posts this long...
I continue to disagree with a lot of what you have posted, much of it for the same reasons in my last post -- but we can just agree to disagree. The debate was interesting, at any rate.

Nothing is ever "easy" but imho the incremental costs of swinging for the fences for your dream specialty (regardless of how long the residency path is) once you are in med school and doing well is pretty nominal. I didn't say you should pine away at transitional years, although I actually do know people who have had success via that route. But I think you should at least take your shot to get what you really want before you get to that point. It's great that you want primary care. But Make sure you are trying to justify that decision a bit by being so emphatic that other paths are unrealistic or that doors are tightly closed. I haven't found this to universally be the case and really have no problem with people taking their shot. At least you don't have to live life wondering.

I get that some fields might not be as receptive to the older crowd, but I'd say make them nix you, don't nix yourself. You might be surprised who they let slip through. And if not at least you tried and won't spend any time kicking yourself for the shot not taken.

Do you really mean to imply that older residents who earn a spot in competitive residencies, got those spots by "slipping through"?

Freudian slips aside, that's a pretty telling statement.

Do you really mean to imply that older residents who earn a spot in competitive residencies, got those spots by "slipping through"?

Freudian slips aside, that's a pretty telling statement.

No you have to read that phrase in context. Jl Lin was saying the doors were tightly shut and I disagreed and said I've seen more than a few slip through this supposedly tight seal. I don't think that's telling at all, unless you are giving it a really strained reading. it's just a true statement. Go for what you want. You might get it. But if not at least you don't go through life wondering if you could have.

^^, cool thanks for the clarification! :cool:

1. It's surprising someone from a top school with a 99th percentile LSAT only works 40 hrs a wk, doesn't appreciate how difficult it is to make partner, is ignorant of what partners make, and is worried about competing with Columbia premeds. Bro, do you even Big Law?

2. Some specialties are best left to the young. The mortal coil falls apart as the years pass, sometimes abruptly. Degenerated discs hit a lot of people hard after 40. Hyperlipidemia & hypertension are accelerated by q3 call or shift work. Arthritis, glaucoma & tremors also await.

3. A professional degree is related to a profession, which is a guild that the government has given the privilege to admit, regulate & discipline its members in regard to the exclusive practice of a vocation. A blatant exemption from antitrust laws. In return, its members assume personal liability for their judgment and any deviation from professional standards. Law, medicine, certified accounting. Contrast that to MBAs who incur no personal liability when they lie about exploding airbags or cook the books.

Medicine is less of a profession because most doctors practice medicine as dictated by non-doctors (hospital & insurance MBAs), and it is legal for non-physicians to own medical practices, which is the opposite of law. And no CRNA or NP has ever been jailed or sued for unauthorized practice for saying they do the same thing as doctors.

Contrast that to MBAs who incur no personal liability when they lie about exploding airbags or cook the books.

Or most of the time, criminal liability.

Pierce that corporate veil!!

It's too hard to respond to specific points in posts this long...
I continue to disagree with a lot of what you have posted, much of it for the same reasons in my last post -- but we can just agree to disagree. The debate was interesting, at any rate.

Nothing is ever "easy" but imho the incremental costs of swinging for the fences for your dream specialty (regardless of how long the residency path is) once you are in med school and doing well is pretty nominal. I didn't say you should pine away at transitional years, although I actually do know people who have had success via that route. But I think you should at least take your shot to get what you really want before you get to that point. It's great that you want primary care. But Make sure you are trying to justify that decision a bit by being so emphatic that other paths are unrealistic or that doors are tightly closed. I haven't found this to universally be the case and really have no problem with people taking their shot. At least you don't have to live life wondering.

If what you seem to be implying is true, then I shall remain hopeful for others that choose to pursue such things--and even for me if I should be surprised by something powerful that will change my destiny.

I can't imagine what you regard as "much" in terms of opposition; since you have indicated similar stances in other threads--particularly in regard to costs and time. But as you wish.

Perhaps you see yourself or others and feel, based on these, biases against such things as age aren't really an issue. To that I have to pull the gender card. Look at women actors compared with men in Hollywood. You could also look at a number of musicians and vocalists, some of whom took great care of their vocal instrument through the years, and yet, there stood the men, such as Pavarotti for example--still he ran strong as he became older. It may be, though you may not be so inclined to consider this, that age is often doubly hard on women. In fact, I think that indeed it is. Of course there are exceptions; but exceptions do not equal footing make.

The issue of age and entrance into medical school and various residency programs will go on; b/c there aren't enough people in the later age ranges to demonstrate any measureable trends.

But it seems dubious to believe that ageism--especially for women--does not exist. Women continue to remain as objectified beings. I am saying this, and I am one of the most all-around conservative people in the world. The patterns, however, are clear.

Sure. I am with you. Let people try to hit it out of the park. But I think it's better to go in knowing that the odds are not as good for you as say someone younger, given the same wonderful stats and application. Listen, if you were the farmer, you'd naturally buy the younger cow, hoping that over time, she will produce more milk. This is a reality worthy of facing from the start; and it may even be more of an issue for a person of say 40+ who is also a female.

I might love many things about critical care; but I am happy to move into primary care and not continue the critical care interest into medicine. I have had many years of working around it, and I have loved a lot of it. No I didn't call the shots, but garnered enough respect that residents, fellows, and attendings deemed my concerns or even, (gasp) suggestions in a positive way. But it is a battlefield one can become very weary of after a while. Now, I just want to help people be as well as they can be and manage chronic and wellness issues, and leave the more involved stuff to the specialists, where, it will usually go anyway. I don't see people like Blue Dog complaining about his role as a FP physician. Cabin Builder and others are quite satisfied as FP docs. My biggest issue will be having a decent enough share of peds pts. I love peds pts and dealing with their families. I also love the lol w/ DM and HTN.
I don't want to be in the hospitals all the time anymore. For CCM, that is a huge piece of practice--being in the hospital. I don't want to do 25 or 35 years of in-hospital with off-shift coverage in the units. And I don't want to be a half prepped NP taking care of FP pts either. People have too many comorbid issues anymore. I don't want to half-azz it up. So that's why I am willing to eat the great cost of time and money.

As I said numerous times, I am not going to tell anyone what to do; but I think they do have to be realistic on many levels. Q is right, for some folks this way well feel like a boondoggle. That's why they have to be realistic going in--regardless of whether they think they can hit that fence or not.

Last edited:
1. It's surprising someone from a top school with a 99th percentile LSAT only works 40 hrs a wk, doesn't appreciate how difficult it is to make partner, is ignorant of what partners make, and is worried about competing with Columbia premeds. Bro, do you even Big Law?

2. Some specialties are best left to the young. The mortal coil falls apart as the years pass, sometimes abruptly. Degenerated discs hit a lot of people hard after 40. Hyperlipidemia & hypertension are accelerated by q3 call or shift work. Arthritis, glaucoma & tremors also await.

3. A professional degree is related to a profession, which is a guild that the government has given the privilege to admit, regulate & discipline its members in regard to the exclusive practice of a vocation. A blatant exemption from antitrust laws. In return, its members assume personal liability for their judgment and any deviation from professional standards. Law, medicine, certified accounting. Contrast that to MBAs who incur no personal liability when they lie about exploding airbags or cook the books.

Medicine is less of a profession because most doctors practice medicine as dictated by non-doctors (hospital & insurance MBAs), and it is legal for non-physicians to own medical practices, which is the opposite of law. And no CRNA or NP has ever been jailed or sued for unauthorized practice for saying they do the same thing as doctors.

Good responses.

About number 3. I mean, just awesome response. I have to give this some thought. Yes, even capitalist-leaders must be held to a higher level of accountability--beyond litigation--but what? And certainly there is no shortage of lawyers, or even doctors and nurses that have managed to somehow get around actions that were less than moral or ethical. The issue of integrity in leadership is a huge one everywhere, in every line of work or profession. But I will say that MBAs and others can be held accountable in a court of law--even to their personal assets--and something even more valuable than assets--their professional reputations--or even time in prison.

Yes medicine, law, and nursing have governing boards; but there are more than enough times where these professionals merely get slapped on the wrists. That's why I am not for getting too restrictive with tort reform. There is justice; but there is also such a thing as restitution. Restitution is a part of accountability--at least genuine accountability.

Your response was so good. I will have to come back to it later, due to other obligations.

And people say lawyers aren't cool. I am really digging the doc-lawyers. My personal lawyer indulges me in discussing various legal issues, of which I am greatly ignorant. He is usually best at it w/ me when he has had some scotch. ;) Cool dude, but I would never want to get on his bad side.

2. Some specialties are best left to the young. The mortal coil falls apart as the years pass, sometimes abruptly. Degenerated discs hit a lot of people hard after 40. Hyperlipidemia & hypertension are accelerated by q3 call or shift work. Arthritis, glaucoma & tremors also await...

I've met 20 year olds in horrible shape and already destined for a life of meds and health concerns and I've met 65 year old triathletes who could whip any of us in any physical pursuit. By 40 you probably know which category you are closer to -- "abrupt" changes are actully going to be the exception. Sure running around in the ER or standing in the OR all night might be regarded as more of a young person's game, but there are certainly less physical fields of medicine that allow people to practice for as long as they stay mentally sharp. (And fwiw I doubt shift work really impacts hyperlipidemia -- your genes and diet run that show.) Let's not worry about the mortal coils too much because when it your time, it's your time, but at least be doing or striving to do that which you enjoy when you go. You only go around this merry go round once, so at least reach for that brass ring as you pass.

I'll respond to you privately. Since the question doesn't pertain to medical education, there's no need to drag the entire forum into the discussion.

Last edited: