This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supercoolturtles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
L.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what do you mean "fail to report the incident"? sound like communist to me when one person fails to report a family member or friends who are against the communist party will have just as severe punishment

Were you actually found in violation? If it's on your transcript, then it will certainly affect your application. Fight it with tooth and nail. What exactly happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
nah, they won't give academic misconduct to 200 people, maybe 1-2 persons that actually posted the quiz on FB. No need to take down the whole herd, it is much easier to make example of 1 or 2; and the rest will fall in line, thats how communist/fascist rule. You know why? because when you take down 200 people at the same time, there is greater chance of revolution.

Reactions: 2 users
nah, they won't give academic misconduct to 200 people, maybe 1-2 persons that actually posted the quiz on FB. No need to take down the whole herd, it is much easier to make example of 1 or 2; and the rest will fall in line, thats how communist/fascist rule. You know why? because when you take down 200 people at the same time, there is greater chance of revolution.

Honestly not sure how you're equating this to communism in both your posts lol, but I agree with idea. I couldn't imagine the school would give all 200 students IAs, only the handful that actively posted questions/answers.

it depends upon how you word this.

Your should be taking this to the Dep't Chair, Dean and even to CEO or Provost.

If this goes on my record, it will appear as an academic warning for a cheating violation ("receiving aid or assistance on an assignment in a class"), even though I didn't cheat and there's really no evidence that I cheated. I have the right to a committee hearing, but I'm still really worried about what will happen. Will med schools even believe my explanation? Idk

Hi, update on this situation. I appeared before a committee and the decision was a written warning for cheating. The reasoning was that I failed to report a cheating incident, which is an honor code violation. (Even though I wasn't aware this was cheating...)

In the official decision, it states that they were not convinced I used any material to cheat, but I'm in trouble for failing to report.

Does anyone know how medical schools will view this? I'm so sad, I feel like my dreams are ruined lol.
Did the school say whether or not it is on your transcript?

It's on the official disciplinary record, which I have to submit to medical schools when I apply.

Also, I can still appeal the decision to the dean, but I'm not really sure if that will change anything. Oh and this record disappears 2 years after I graduate.
Unfortunately, that doesn't look good. Even if you get it removed, you still have to report it to medical schools.

Try to get it removed but if that doesn't happen explain to the adcoms. Were you even looking at that Facebook group? I have groups that don't appear in my news feed but that I can look at if I choose to do so. There could be a conspiracy to commit murder (of aphids and slugs) over there and I'd be oblivious.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread right here should be posted in those threads where people talk about not snitching on friends that cheat, "its none of my business" they say. Yes, yes it is your business.

...so did everyone in that group who didn't report also receive a written warning of cheating as well? If so, that is ridiculous because I also ignore everything in my class FB group and cannot imagine being disciplined FOR NOT CHECKING FACEBOOK. If not, do you know why you were singled out?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who had ever interacted on the group received a written warning. I happened to "like" an unrelated post on the group a long time ago, so I got reported. Also I think Facebook shows who has "seen" a post.

I'm not really active on the group but posts from the group did occasionally show up on my feed.c

Anyone who had ever interacted on the group received a written warning. I happened to "like" an unrelated post on the group a long time ago, so I got reported. Also I think Facebook shows who has "seen" a post.

I'm not really active on the group but posts from the group did occasionally show up on my feed.c
That seems like a load of BS from the school. Good luck in your appeal to the dean.

Man, that is tough.

First, fight it.

Second, call the schools and ask all the specific questions you need as an anonymous person if you need peace of mind, but always be honest.

early soviet communist indoctrination included the idea that it was duty to report on those who may be working against the system, even if they were your own parents. Conversely, if you didnt report it, something that you knew or should have known, you would be as guilty as those who performed the subversive act.

This effectively made everyone a "spy"in your local group/block/cell/building. The fear being that if something happened and you didnt report it, they would take you away and send you to the Gulag. Hence, you reported on your neighbors before they came for you
Let's not solely blame the Soviets -- we called it McCarthyism here.