Advice for Harvard medical school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfalahat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am new to SDN. My friend told me about it and it seems to be very helpful. I am thinking about applying to Harvard medical school for the 2016 cycle. I have a 3.72 GPA. I am taking the new MCAT in August. Also, graduating in Honors in Molecular Biology and minoring in Chemistry. I am from Jordan and speak Arabic and English fluently. Any suggestion on applying there? Is there anything special I need to know?

Also, I got approve for FAP which means I have up to 16 schools to apply to for free.
I really appreciate all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken a year of US coursework?

Is your degree from the US or Canada?

Members don't see this ad :)
PS. I am graduating from UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham) and have an American citizenship.

Two thoughts come to mind:
1) your late August MCAT puts you behind the timing curve for application review
2) Harvard has a propensity to look at applicant's potential as future leaders in medicine, whether research, policy, etc
Is it really bad that I am taking the MCAT in August? Should I be considering maybe taking it in July?

yes of course. 2 in which they are in state.

FYI, Harvard's acceptance rate was 3.5% last year. You can apply, I wouldn't get too attached. Also, the elite schools are all pretty "snobby" (for lack of a better word) in that Harvard tends to prefer students who went to undergrad at Harvard. Coming from UAB, you're in for an uphill battle.

Reactions: 3 users
FYI, Harvard's acceptance rate was 3.5% last year. You can apply, I wouldn't get too attached. Also, the elite schools are all pretty "snobby" (for lack of a better word) in that Harvard tends to prefer students who went to undergrad at Harvard. Coming from UAB, you're in for an uphill battle.
I was kind of thinking that, I just wanted to gather as much information as I can about Harvard. I think I'll apply anyways but like you said, I won't get my hopes up on it.

Not just Harvard. All the top private schools (Ivies + peers) are given a good weight of preference.

Is it really bad that I am taking the MCAT in August? Should I be considering maybe taking it in July?
Taking it in August means your score won't be back till September. This is quite late. Take it when you're ready, but if you can be ready sooner, take it sooner. If you can't take it till August, consider applying the next year. Applying early makes a BIG difference in getting interviews and being accepted, since almost every school has rolling admissions.

I also wouldn't recommend wasting one of your second schools on Harvard, unless you end up doing very very well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Just as an aside, Harvard is non-rolling, so applying late won't be as great a detriment as it would be for other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also recommend applying next year and waiting until after you take the MCAT. If you have 16 schools that you are applying to you really want to craft schools specific to what score you end up with on the test. I know people sometimes get a significantly different score on the MCAT than practice tests- whether it be higher or lower. Specifically in terms of what Harvard is looking for, I agree that it seems like they really like people who went to Harvard for undergraduate. However, to be honest all of the top schools are a shot in the dark. (i.e. I applied to similar schools as a friend who has similar credentials and ended up getting into a top school my friend was outright rejected from and my friend ended up getting into a comparable top school that I was outright rejected from.) You might be extremely qualified, but I would not go into the cycle with your heart set on any one school. Apply broadly and apply to schools that you like with the hope you get into some! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Surprised no one mentioned EC's yet?
Oh right. I was too distracted by the August MCAT.
OP, do you have 200-400 hours of clinical experience? Volunteering? Shadowing? Leadership?

You can't plan a school list without an MCAT.

You need to post on WAMC, not here. Your focus right now should be on beasting the MCAT. If you're taking it in August, I advise applying next year.

Reactions: 6 users
So you're applying to 3 schools total, 1 of which is Harvard?

You get 16 free applications. Use them. All of them.

Taking it in August means your score won't be back till September. This is quite late. Take it when you're ready, but if you can be ready sooner, take it sooner. If you can't take it till August, consider applying the next year. Applying early makes a BIG difference in getting interviews and being accepted, since almost every school has rolling admissions.

I also wouldn't recommend wasting one of your second schools on Harvard, unless you end up doing very very well on the MCAT.
This. If you're waiting until August to take the test, you should be waiting until the June AFTER that to submit your application. It's 6months of your life...you can wait that long to have your best possible app instead of a late, rushed, frantic one. You owe yourself that much.

I really hope you're not just planning to apply to 3 schools. That would not work in your favor. You've got 15 schools to apply to for free, use those slots and make sure your list is balanced and not top heavy.

I really hope you're not just planning to apply to 3 schools. That would not work in your favor. You've got 15 schools to apply to for free, use those slots and make sure your list is balanced and not top heavy.
Thanks, yes I will be using all of the slots to apply to medical schools.

Oh right. I was too distracted by the August MCAT.
OP, do you have 200-400 hours of clinical experience? Volunteering? Shadowing? Leadership?
Yes, I actually have my application ready, the only thing I need right now is the MCAT.

So, my application is all ready including shadowing, volunteering, leadership, recommendation letters, and commity letter. The only thing I need is the MCAT right now. I am already waiting a year to apply, I really don't want to wait another one but I understand that August is late. I will be considering taking in July.

There's really nothing you can do to boost applications, at this point. I mean, get a 520+ on the new MCAT? Is there a reason you want to go to Harvard in particular? Because honestly, if you only get to apply to 16 schools free, your free application might be more appropriate elsewhere, especially since you don't even have an MCAT score.

So, my application is all ready including shadowing, volunteering, leadership, recommendation letters, and commity letter. The only thing I need is the MCAT right now. I am already waiting a year to apply, I really don't want to wait another one but I understand that August is late. I will be considering taking in July.
Honestly, unless you've accomplished something super unique and/or meaningful, you're not going to have a shot at Harvard coming from UAB. If money is an issue you're better off using the FAP spot for a realistic school.

Reactions: 2 users
You've given us no background here. Sure you majored in science with honors, which no adcoms care about. Everything about your application seems mediocre including your GPA and you don't even have an MCAT?

You should be thinking, "I want to get in MD first cycle." Other than your country of origin nothing stands out. Why do you want to go to Harvard? Do you even have a reason other than prestige? Is there something about their program that stands out over others? Literally why do you think you should get in Harvard, because I'm not seeing it.

If you don't have anything special*, it's going to be extremely hard to get into HMS.

3.7 GPA already is not that great but even 4.0 is dime a dozen for HMS.

*Special means like Fulbright, Olympic Athlete, etc.

You're way too lat in the cycle with that MCAT. You won't even be able to build a decent school list until you have it, which will take six weeks (late September or early October). Your admission chances will depend 100% on that score, so I can't really advise at this point.

If you apply for Harvard while waiting until September to receive your scores, you're gonna have a bad time. I think you need to do extremely well on the MCAT and then apply next year. As others have also said, ECs are very important.

What about schools with strict October 1 or October 15 deadlines. Are they considered "rolling" admissions too? If taking the MCAT in August will it make an impact on the application or those schools such as NYMC OR SUNY's (with instate residency).

What about schools with strict October 1 or October 15 deadlines. Are they considered "rolling" admissions too? If taking the MCAT in August will it make an impact on the application or those schools such as NYMC OR SUNY's (with instate residency).
Yup! All schools have some deadline you have to have your application in by. What makes them rolling is when they release decisions. Some schools won't accept anyone until March, while most start accepting people mid-October and continue through March.

Even with schools that are technically non-rolling, there are a limited number of interview slots, and you have a better chance of getting one of you submit earlier.

Unfortunately, MSAR doesn't have this info. Do you have a number? Source?

OP, you'll need some decent research experience, clinical and non-clinical ECs. Not just cookie-cutter stuff. Evidence of leadership too.

And, naturally, ace the MCAT (~37 on the old test)

Unfortunately, MSAR doesn't have this info. Do you have a number? Source?

OP, you'll need some decent research experience, clinical and non-clinical ECs. Not just cookie-cutter stuff. Evidence of leadership too.

And, naturally, ace the MCAT (~37 on the old test)

The 3.5% was from US News, and if you look at the class profiles of the elite private medical schools (Harvard, Yale, etc), it's pretty apparent that they prefer graduates from the elite private undergrads. For example, in Harvard's MD/PhD entering class of 2014, 12 out of the 19 first years came from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or MIT. Upward mobility in academics is difficult.

MD/PhD admissions is a totally different animal. Let's look at some other med schools and see if they favor their own UG students:

U Chicago: 8% of matriculants
Penn: 12
Tufts: 12
NYU: 12%
Tulane: 12.2

Cornell: 13%
Yale: 16%
Pitt: 16
Wash U: 16.3%
Columbia: 16%
Vanderbilt: 18
Stanford: 19%

Duke: 20%
U VA: 21
U MI: 26
Brown: 34%

Hopkins: N/A
Baylor: N/A

Quite a gamut! I have them color coded as blue= < 1/8; purple = 1/8 to 1/5; red > 1/5. Perhaps the moral of the story is, if you want to go to Duke, go to Duke!

The 3.5% was from US News, and if you look at the class profiles of the elite private medical schools (Harvard, Yale, etc), it's pretty apparent that they prefer graduates from the elite private undergrads. For example, in Harvard's MD/PhD entering class of 2014, 12 out of the 19 first years came from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or MIT. Upward mobility in academics is difficult.

Simple: You need to appreciate the dynamics of applications. Having a late MCAT score without much to make you standout (a paper and two years of research) doesn't make one stand out 'that much,' will be harder to secure interviews given how late your score will be in. While places are rolling, do realize they don't always allocate spots for 'late comers.' If there are 300 spots for interviews, and there are 300 people deserving of interviews who applied and had an mcat earlier than you, they're gonna get it. And, if they do choose to leave spots available, they might save it for someone who did something different, such as peace corps, military service, olympian, worked 10 years on wall street, likely with equally or better stats than you. Its very low-yeild to apply if you are already behind the game for this cycle.

MD/PhD admissions is a totally different animal. Let's look at some other med schools and see if they favor their own UG students:

U Chicago: 8% of matriculants
Penn: 12
Tufts: 12
NYU: 12%
Tulane: 12.2

Cornell: 13%
Yale: 16%
Pitt: 16
Wash U: 16.3%
Columbia: 16%
Vanderbilt: 18
Stanford: 19%

Duke: 20%
U VA: 21
U MI: 26
Brown: 34%

Hopkins: N/A
Baylor: N/A

Quite a gamut! I have them color coded as blue= < 1/8; purple = 1/8 to 1/5; red > 1/5. Perhaps the moral of the story is, if you want to go to Duke, go to Duke!

Just as a related noted of information, in Yale's most recent graduating class, which I would assume is similar in makeup to harvard's, 66 students had degrees from Ivies, Duke, Stanford, MIT. 6 had degrees from WashU, Northwestern, Hopkins. This is out of a class of 103. 70% of students from elite schools (and that's not even counting schools like UVA, Michigan, UCLA, of which there were a couple each).

Pretty overwhelming.

Alas, MSAR doesn't have this type of info. What's your source?

Just as a related noted of information, in Yale's most recent graduating class, which I would assume is similar in makeup to harvard's, 66 students had degrees from Ivies, Duke, Stanford, MIT. 6 had degrees from WashU, Northwestern, Hopkins. This is out of a class of 103. 70% of students from elite schools (and that's not even counting schools like UVA, Michigan, UCLA, of which there were a couple each).

Pretty overwhelming.

Alas, MSAR doesn't have this type of info. What's your source?
Yale interviewees received Class of 2014's match list with their undergraduate and graduate institutions, additional degrees, and project names.

Last edited:
The Harvard MSTP accepts students from all sorts of schools. There was a recent graduate there from the College of the Holy Cross. I would think they would not categorically reject people from UAB.

If you want Harvard, go for broke on the MCAT. Aim for 528: if you can score 525+ with a 3.72 and a publication, you've got a shot. The odds of success are low, but the odds of anyone getting into HMS are low. If you want to apply to Harvard just so you can say you did, go for it.

I think it depends on your numbers and how you sell yourself in the interview. Anecdote: My friend applied in the 2015 cycle in September because of his late MCAT with gpa of ~3.83. First MCAT score was a 34 with a 5 in verbal. Second MCAT he got a 42. He has been accepted to Harvard, Columbia, and Yale. Rejected from Stanford. All else being roughly equal to him, I think if you ace the MCAT you'll get something. They keep seats open for exceptional applicants from what I've seen.