Am A Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osahon7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you as you reply

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It will not matter with patients because they tend to prefer more casual relationships with their healthcare providers now a days. If your patients perception is that you understand, respect, and care for them then a stutter will not matter.
However, I think that stuttering will is a challenge you will have to manage or overcome to be a surgeon. From what I have seen surgeons do care about presentation ability and timeliness when responding to questions. For example, when you're in an OR the surgeons may ask you questions that will require you to explain things to them to demonstrate that you have adequate understanding. Also, you must be able to clearly and quickly communicate with colleagues in the OR. Stuttering may be misinterpreted as not responding well to questions or not communicating well. These situations may also be stressful which tends to cause people to stutter more.

You have four years to get a handle on it, though. If I were you I would read about how to reduce or limit stuttering and possibly seek treatment with a speech language pathologist. I had a friend who was able to eliminate their stutter with treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have got a mild stutter (The Speech Block type)and am still in Dental school, I wish to be an Oral Surgeon.Can my stuttering affect my Dental practice? Thank you as you reply
Let your obstacle be your stepping stone. You will be fine. I have two people in my family who stuttered at a young age. They don't anymore. There is treatment, believe it or not, it's sometimes hidden insecurities that one can overcome, and on a personal note, a little prayer can change anything. Watch and see. You will be fine. Best wishes and keep your dream alive.

Reactions: 1 users
A speech therapist can help you with your condition. They treat speech disorders.

long story short, no it shouldn't affect your practice. what WILL affect your practice is your bedside manner. NO stuttering in the world will affect this aspect of treatment, as long as you're able to truly connect w/ your patients.
I have friends that practice in crutches (cerebral palsy), partial deafness, etc. These practitioners w/ "disabilities" are prbly of the most qualified and skilled dentists that I know. Patients appreciate their skill and training because of their ability to connect w/ patients on another level.

Don't let "disabilities" deter you from your dreams!

It really depends on how severe your speech impediment is. If it's bad, it may affect your ability to communicate effectively with your patients, so you should probably see a therapist in this case, just to make your life easier. If it's minor, I wouldn't worry about it.

I knew a grad who was in his second year oral surgery residency, he had a very significant stutter. Sorry, cant use it as an excuse lol, he made it, so can you!!

Reactions: 1 user