Auditing non-science classes, good or bad idea?

Started by qmcat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qmcat

Heat
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be graduating 1 quarter early, this March. I've been wanting to take this music conducting class, and as an alumnus, my school has a sweet deal to audit for $25 per class vs. $1200 per unit for a grade.

So, I was just wondering, if the audit shows up on my transcript, will med schools really care about it... since I will already have my bachelor's degree, and I'm just doing this for fun. I could take it for real, but I don't want to spend that much money for the class.

I've searched other threads, but almost all of the other threads about auditing only talk about pre-req or science courses. This is seriously a just for fun music class. What do you guys think?
 
I can't imagine them caring at all. As long as your degree is complete then don't worry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure if you're an app this cycle or next but...

If you are this cycle and have been accepted, I can't possibly see why a medical school would care anything about a music class besides an F that prevented you from graduating... but you could always call them and ask if not taking and passing this class would be grounds for dismissal from the class.

If you are next cycle, I audited a liberal arts class that inspired me to read a book that ended up being the basis for my personal statement (completely unrelated to medicine.) All that aside, I really doubt the class was plus or minus to my application, but did help with interviews. There is an amcas grade option of AUDIT and an audited class does not affect your gpa nor does it count towards your total semester hours. AND... if it should some how come up at an interview (why didn't you take music 1069 for a grade?), as soon are you mention the $$$ factor, they will immediately drop it and not care.
 
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try to audit the class then. If they don't let me in, I'll just spend my last quarter working out and getting ripped then, haha.