[delete]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted543017

[delete]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
In what sense? Are you just being nice, or is it extremely competitive?

Thanks.

I think they give out very few oos spots and it seems like they are particular to LORs from dentists who graduated from the school.

I'm guessing that is why they are just saying good luck.

You seem competitive so you have a chance.

In what sense? Are you just being nice, or is it extremely competitive?

Thanks.

Very few people out of state get into Texas, let alone international applicants.

All schools accept donations.

Reactions: 1 users
They are located north of the 49th parallel.

Reactions: 2 users
Very few people out of state get into Texas, let alone international applicants.

:thumbup:. Good Luck, you're gonna need it if you want a spot at any texas school as international applicant.

Why don't you apply to canadian schools like McGill? It's only 20k a year or something there. Most of the american schools will be 50k+ since you'll be oos. It would be like an American applying to ubc.

Oh my. Bless your heart.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that Canadians have very low chance at Texas schools. Like omgroll said, if you have high GPA maybe apply McGill and other Canadian dental schools if costs is an issue. From what I see, it seems like you have decent shot at
Canadian dental schools with your GPA (except the DAT score, cuz I don't know). If you want to apply to US, apply to mostly private schools and pick the one with lowest COA..

haha. wow. It's tough enough getting into a Texas school as an out of state applicant, let alone an international applicant. haha. Good luck. You will need it

My American GPA is basically a 4.0, but in Canadian terms, that's a 3.90 (depending how you weigh it), and my average for best two years would be 89-90. Unfortunately, this is competitive for Canadian schools, but is not a guaranteed competitive app. This is what leads to my interest in cheap US schools. Thanks for the help.
So do you mean it is easier to get into US dental schools than Canadian schools?... It doesn't sound right to me... Being an international, I can guarantee you that there are very few spots for international students at US dental schools. It would be much easier to get in with a green card.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Why not a Canadian school? Where do you go to school now? I understand that Canadian schools are very competitive but sticking it out here for a few more years to fet higher marks would probably save you money in the end, no?

Yes, what you posted is true. But what you don't see is geographical advantage. For example, UBC per se. They accept 10% out of province, so someone like me, from Ontario, will have to fight with others for a spot. UBC people need like an 84-85, yet OOP people need an 88+.

EDIT: After a second look at your links, some of the grades are out-dated. Western now has an average acceptance of 90, and not the 84 listed there.

Actually it is 88.35. Did you mention that that it represents the average of the best 2 years preceding admission?

Correct, I would prefer a Canadian school. All this talk is just if I happen to not get accepted in Canada, which is likely.

No actually, it's 90*. And yes, it is best 2 years. Anyways, thanks for your input, however, I'm not here to argue what is easier and what is not. Just needed advice.

* http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/ddsadmissions/files/Unfiled/Class of 2017 - Statistics.pdf
A .15 increase over class of 2016. The intent of the link had little to do with "accuracy" to 4 significant figures of the admission stats.

Last edited:
Not saying it's necessarily easier to get into schools in the USA but I know a Canadian kid who did not get accepted to McGill or Toronto, but got accepted to UDM and Columbia. He also applied to Texas schools but he didn't hear anything from them. He just donated the application money I guess

As a Canadian applicant who applied to both Canadian and American schools. Yes canadians who apply to american schools tend to be those who either doesn't think they will get in to Canadian schools or have been rejected from a Canadian school before. For example, I wouldn't have gotten an interview at UBC if it wasn't for my DAT score and other schools who don't consider DAT so much have rejected me w/o an interview. For American schools average DAT and gpa is much lower compared to Canadian schools. HOWEVER, I wouldn't say it's a lot easier to get into american schools because 1) we are applying as international applicant thus bars are highrt 2) extracurr + lors+ shadowing etc are considered; no forgiving worst year etc.
For Canadian schools its all numbers game. If you don't have the stat you have 0 chance. For example there will be no such thing as ubder 3.0 club let alone an under 3.5 club. As for american schools if you go to grad school, do research, have great references a 3.3 would be able to get in.

This year for UBC the average getting in was 87% which would be roughly around 3.8-3.9 dat average 22.4.

Gettin in @ UBC was 87? Huh. Here in sask the cutoff for an interview for in province was 86. Ill be interested to see what the cutoff for getting in is

Gettin in @ UBC was 87? Huh. Here in sask the cutoff for an interview for in province was 86. Ill be interested to see what the cutoff for getting in is

Oh getting an interview. Ubc recently changed its app process so after you recieve an interview your stats don't matter anymore. 90 ppl were invited for it ans 47ppl got in. 87 was for in province.. must be around 90 for oop. Also it's 50%DAT and 50% gpa so ppl with high DAT and low gpa (like myself) have a chance :)

I believe cutoff was around 83-84

A .15 increase over class of 2016. The intent of the link had little to do with "accuracy" to 4 significant figures if the admission stats.

To sum it up cutoff for interview was 87% this year based on my rejection letter. Also I think uwo interviews 250 ppl for 50 spots so....

What is the point of arguing two completely different systems? The gpa conversion alone is something that can be heavily scrutinized. American Universities are very diverse and most importantly value different things compared to their Canadian counter-parts. This can be seen in the undergrad and graduate level. American Universities tend to value well-rounded applicants instead of just numbers. If schools really wanted to, they could accept only 3.6+ individuals.. However, that is not the case. I'm not here to argue what is more important (hollistic vs. numbers), but seeing as how U.S. dentists are looked upon favorably on a global level, the U.S. universities are obviously doing something right.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine was accepted to Toronto and Western, rejected from McGill and UBC. He also applied to all three Ivies (rejected by all three), both UC's (obviously rejected as international lol), but did manage to snag Case Western. He has decided to drop CWRU and Western for Toronto.

Make of that what you will. Just leavin' it here for scrutiny.
Stats were in the ballpark of 3.9GPA and 23AA. (I.e. internationals have it pretty bad lol...)

So yeah, Texas is a no go. Don't waste your money.

Like what others have said, don't waste your money on Texas schools. They're super competitive for internationals.

Being an Ontario resident sucks when it comes to dental school admissions, but your 3.90 OMSAS sounds on par with the average interviewed at Toronto and Western. Most of the people in my class -- without a MSc -- had 3.9+ GPAs. Those with an MSc hovered around 3.7-3.8. But that was a few years ago. Having an MSc definitely helps for Toronto.

I heard it's been bumped up to 3.90 this year to qualify for interviews which is pretty crazy considering that the class size has been increasing, too! As long as you have good DAT scores I say you have a fairly good chance for Toronto! I heard class size for Toronto will continue to increase to 120.

I'm Canadian and I can say getting in dental school in the US and Canada is difficult. You have to have a solid GPA and be well-rounded for the states, whereas in Canada you need to have ridiculously high marks. Like people have said, for the University of Western Ontario the cutoff for interview was 87% average in your best 2 years, for University of Toronto it was a 3.88 GPA for interview. I know this because my friend applied to both and got rejected from them, and in the rejection letter it states the cutoff. Not here to argue because it's not easy getting in anywhere, and as @ktran17 said, each country values different things. I wish Canadian dental schools would start looking at EC's and shadowing like the American schools. Western didn't even have interviews before. It was purely stats. The dentist I shadow went to UB and his associate went to Western. His associate got accepted with no interview to Western. I couldn't imagine not getting interviewed!

I know I've drifted away from the topic of the thread, but I just saw where it was going and thought I'd give my 2 cents as well. But from what I've heard, getting in a Texas school is very difficult, especially being a Canadian. I wouldn't bother, but if you have the money then why not!

Status
Not open for further replies.