[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notyouraverageapplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you retaken all your F's and D/C's? If you can do that than your aacomas GPA will significantly improve.

If you're amcas gpa is 2.6 then no, you have no chance at this particular moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your AACOMAS GPA will give you a shot at DO schools, but a 2.6 is so low that you'll be autoscreened at basically every MD school.

What could I do to improve my chances at an MD school or is that completely out? Post bacc? SMP?
as many more semesters of straight As as needed to bring your GPA above 3.3, plus a >90th percentile MCAT. seems like a bad option given that DO is much more realistic

if you can find a SMP with a good linkage that will take you, that might work

I focus on DO now and get the idea of MD out of your mind. If the time comes and you're application has improved immensely then maybe apply to a couple of MD schools. Focus on bringing the gpa up and hopefully you can go DO.

For DO schools, you're fine. Rising trends are always good. Now back up that new GPA set with a good MCAT score.

I recently calculated my AMCAS gpa and found it would be around a 2.6. I have taken multiple classes over again and my AACOM gpa is around a 3.2. I have 6 F's on my transcript from my middle two years of college(I was going through a rough time). However, my senior year spring semester, fall semester and winter semester were 4.0's and those were all upper level science classes. What can I do to improve my stats? Do I even have a chance?

You have a chance at DO schools because of grade forgiveness.

No chance at MD schools unless you pull your GPA above a 3.0 and get a 30+ MCAT score.

A3.0 and 30+ MCAT wont get him near a MD school. It's not productive to give him false hope. If he wants to be a doctor he needs to research and pursue DO. It may take a little work but it is well within his grasp.

A3.0 and 30+ MCAT wont get him near a MD school. It's not productive to give him false hope. If he wants to be a doctor he needs to research and pursue DO. It may take a little work but it is well within his grasp.
Agreed. Even with a 35+ you'd need at least a 3.2/3.3 for an okay chance at MD schools.

Someone was in your same exact shoes and used a GPA calculator to see how many credits of straight A's were needed to bring that 2.6 GPA up to a 3.6, which is competitive for USA MD schools. 2,000 credits!