clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chicamedica

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is dexmedetomidine the S-enantiomer or the D-enantiomer of medetomidine. I've seen some sources say S- (including baby miller), other sources say D- . The drug's name suggests that it's the D-enantiomer. Probably not too crucial of a detail but the chemistry nerd in me is bothered.

Which is it?
 
Is dexmedetomidine the S-enantiomer or the D-enantiomer of medetomidine. I've seen some sources say S- (including baby miller), other sources say D- . The drug's name suggests that it's the D-enantiomer. Probably not too crucial of a detail but the chemistry nerd in me is bothered.

Which is it?

Couldn't it be both? IIRC, enantiomers are classified as D vs L or R vs S (or + v -); these different systems are based on different properties of the compound (rotation of polarized light vs geometry of structure, etc...). Also, entirely possible that I'm way off given that I haven't really touched organic chem in ~10 yrs.
 
enantiomers are non-superimposable mirror image compounds which are divided into dextrorotatory (Latin: dexter, right) or levorotatory (latin: laevus, left) depending on how a substance rotates the plane of polarization. A racemic mixture is an equal mix of both.
R and S configurations are in relation to the configuration around the chiral, or center, carbon. They are specified as R (latin: rectus, right) or S (latin: sinister, left) {reference Morrison & Boyd's Organic Chemistry 5th edition-yes I still own it} This is done by assigning priorities to the ligands attached to the chiral carbon in the center based on atomic numbers and, I believe, is beyond the scope of the question.
In short, Dexmedetomidine is the dextroisomer of medetomidine (reference-Anesthetic Pharmacology-Evers and Maze Pg 479), just as the name implies. I am unsure of the R vs S configuration of dex.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Couldn't it be both? IIRC, enantiomers are classified as D vs L or R vs S (or + v -); these different systems are based on different properties of the compound (rotation of polarized light vs geometry of structure, etc...). Also, entirely possible that I'm way off given that I haven't really touched organic chem in ~10 yrs.

Yes.

There is also a difference between d and D. IIRC little d is dextrorotary and big D has to do with the chirality of the first carbon of the fisher projection of a carbohydrate.
 
Ok clear now!

So, dexmetedomidine is the S-enantiomer, which happens to be dextrorotatory :. S(+)-metedomidine.

Been a while since organic chem for me as well. Thanks everyone!