Colorado denver MPH applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwrusenior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know how colorado regards GPA/GRE?

I have a 3.3 and am in the 150s for GRE score... starting to freak about where and if ill get in.

Please advise any experience that will help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, this is a little old and I'm not sure if you're still interested but... For the Colorado School of Public Health I've heard that the GRE standards are 155V and 153Q with a 3.0 GPA. Those are just averages thought for the last year, so they obviously admit folks that are lower than that. I talked with the admissions folks a few weeks ago and they said they generally admit 70% of the applicants, although the CSPH is starting to gain respect as a good public health school, and as a result the number of applicants will probably increase.

Did you end up getting in, or are you awaiting responses for the fall 2015 cycle?

Good luck, and hopefully we see each other as I applied to the CSU global health and health disparities program!

Hey! yeah after this i spoke with admissions too but I'm applying to the community and behavioral health program. This is one of my top choices so I'm freaking out since I applied in november and they didn't start reviewing until last month. Have you heard back yet? I've only seen like 2 posts about people getting admitted so far and those were yesterday and for epi.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back yet. If you check out grad cafe you can see the time frame for when they send out responses. For the community and behavioral health program it seems to be right around mid-February, so you should probably hear back in the next few weeks.

Have you ever checked out grad cafe? This link will get you there, and it's only CSPH applicants: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=public+health+colorado&t=a&o=&pp=25

Good luck!

Just got my recommended for admission email. haha nice timing. Good luck to you!

I saw on the other thread that you got admitted, so congrats! I was recently admitted also and am waiting on the full admissions packet and whatnot, and Denver is in my top 2. Can you tell me some of the reasons why you want to go?

ohhh congrats! I like how they notified people around the same time- it helps psychologically! ha To be honest I only looked at it initially because of my boyfriend recently moving there but when I visited, I really liked the campus because it is very similar to my undergrad campus being very modern and with a major health campus close by. I also like the flexibility of getting to go to other campuses and not being locked in to the CBH program if I find that that's not necessarily the program I want to be in. Sorry my reasons aren't that significant. Why are you looking there?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, a lot of the same reasons. I also have an anthropology background and dig their focus on Native American health. The hospitality was amazing. I did a tour when I was in town and I felt really comfortable there. My current campus is terrible, frankly, so a nice campus is refreshing. The cost of living is relatively decent. Above all else, I feel that it's one of the few schools I applied to that is student-focused instead of faculty focus and that's what I want for a masters program. And, like you said, major hospitals on campus: that helps.

I was also told that they would allow me to establish residency after a year and bump me down to in-state tuition. That would make it cheaper than any other school I applied to.

Congrats on the acceptance you guys! Would you mind if I inquired as to what your experiences were prior to applying?

I'm getting nervous since I only have one internship that was public health related, besides that I was in the Air Force for five years - but not necessarily public health related stuff.

I did a "food deserts" research project for 8 weeks with anthropological techniques but a health education focus. I also did 2 years of volunteer work with my local office of public health, mostly in the TB department. I've also worked regular jobs- grocery, sales, etc.

edit: I said 12 weeks, but only 8 were in the field.

Last edited:
i actually only had one semester worth of public health internship so i didn't have much experience either!

Ugh... I'm dying to hear from them! Especially knowing that people are staring to hear back. I must have checked my email a thousand times today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, someone on another board mentioned that Colorado School of Public Health will be sending out acceptances in the next week. It looks like a few folks have already gotten them, but for the rest of us it is good news!

Hey y'all,

I currently go to CSPH, concentrating in global CBH. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And if you want to meet up if you visit campus, send me a PM.

Good luck!

Hey alm14, are you at CSU's campus or Denver? Since you're Global Health I'm curious if you guys discuss/use anthropological techniques very often? In line with that, if there's anything interesting you've come across as far as research/projects on health disparities here in Colorado that rely on anthropological techniques.

Enjoy the snow this weekend!

Hey y'all,

I currently go to CSPH, concentrating in global CBH. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And if you want to meet up if you visit campus, send me a PM.

Good luck!
I know others may need to know also, so I am posting instead of PMing. What are the housing options like? In the Aurora area, the apartment options look rather bleak (online). Do you think it would be better to do a rent house in the area or just look for housing closer to another area like Denver, Stapleton, etc.?

Also, I was accepted to the epidemiology program, but you may know anyway: Are there many opportunities for jobs, like TA and RA positions?

Hey alm14, are you at CSU's campus or Denver? Since you're Global Health I'm curious if you guys discuss/use anthropological techniques very often? In line with that, if there's anything interesting you've come across as far as research/projects on health disparities here in Colorado that rely on anthropological techniques.

Enjoy the snow this weekend!

I'm at the Anschutz campus. I'll be perfectly honest with you--I majored in the hard sciences and I'm largely unfamiliar with anthropological research, but I'll do my best to answer your question! (If my answer isn't sufficient, feel free to provide some more specifics and I'll revise!) I don't think we explicitly talk about anthropological techniques, but a lot of what we use are rooted in a similar motivation and methodology. Every intervention, research study, and evaluation that is appropriately designed is first based on observation of the population for the study, and in nearly all instances we ask the community for participation so that the study is designed particularly for them and with their culture and dynamics in mind.

There is a TON of research going on at all the campuses regarding health disparities. What helped me was looking at the bios of the CSPH professors and finding someone whose research interested me (for you, I'd definitely look for community-based participatory research, or health theory maybe)--if you're planning on visiting the campus before making your final decision, you could definitely email them and ask more about their research, or set up a time to meet with them.

And thanks! I did, very much--the snowshoeing around Boulder is fabulous.

I know others may need to know also, so I am posting instead of PMing. What are the housing options like? In the Aurora area, the apartment options look rather bleak (online). Do you think it would be better to do a rent house in the area or just look for housing closer to another area like Denver, Stapleton, etc.?

Also, I was accepted to the epidemiology program, but you may know anyway: Are there many opportunities for jobs, like TA and RA positions?

Hey! I'm glad you asked. For me, I found the same thing--Aurora is pretty bleak with regards to housing, and there are definitely some pretty sketchy places (I flew out to look for apartments and met with my advisor before my first showing, and she recommended that I look more outside of Aurora since I wasn't familiar enough with the neighborhoods). That's not to say there aren't some great places! You just have to look a little more; there's also 21 Fitzsimons, which is right behind the library on campus. Park Hill, Stapleton, City Park, Lowry, and Capitol Hill are where a lot of my classmates live, and those are great if you want a more urban place with an awesome nightlife. I prefer to get out of the city for easier access to the mountains, so I actually live about midway between Denver and Boulder. There's an express bus (the DM route) that goes from Boulder to campus, and it's really convenient to just drop my car off at a PnR and hop on that bus for class, so don't be afraid to look at places that look really far from campus. Keep in mind that you might have class a few days a week (I only have class MTW), so if there are other obligations in your life, those could play a big factor in where you live.

TA positions are somewhat limited: they're usually reserved for second-year Master's students (so that the T.A.'s have taken the classes already) and Ph.D./DrPH students since they need teaching experience, especially in epidemiology. That being said, there are a TON of opportunities to get experience in epidemiology out here--there are a lot of internships available at the health departments and other organizations, and most professors and other people in the field are able to help you get connected with an opportunity even if they don't have one themselves. And if you're interested in chronic disease epidemiology, we have an awesome center for studying pediatric diabetes (the Barbara C. Davis center) and there's a new institute just starting for lifetime epidemiology of obesity and diabetes, so there may be some opportunities there too. I'd look through the epi faculty to see if there's someone with research you're interested in, and start emailing them to ask more about their research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I'm glad you asked. For me, I found the same thing--Aurora is pretty bleak with regards to housing, and there are definitely some pretty sketchy places (I flew out to look for apartments and met with my advisor before my first showing, and she recommended that I look more outside of Aurora since I wasn't familiar enough with the neighborhoods). That's not to say there aren't some great places! You just have to look a little more; there's also 21 Fitzsimons, which is right behind the library on campus. Park Hill, Stapleton, City Park, Lowry, and Capitol Hill are where a lot of my classmates live, and those are great if you want a more urban place with an awesome nightlife. I prefer to get out of the city for easier access to the mountains, so I actually live about midway between Denver and Boulder. There's an express bus (the DM route) that goes from Boulder to campus, and it's really convenient to just drop my car off at a PnR and hop on that bus for class, so don't be afraid to look at places that look really far from campus. Keep in mind that you might have class a few days a week (I only have class MTW), so if there are other obligations in your life, those could play a big factor in where you live.

TA positions are somewhat limited: they're usually reserved for second-year Master's students (so that the T.A.'s have taken the classes already) and Ph.D./DrPH students since they need teaching experience, especially in epidemiology. That being said, there are a TON of opportunities to get experience in epidemiology out here--there are a lot of internships available at the health departments and other organizations, and most professors and other people in the field are able to help you get connected with an opportunity even if they don't have one themselves. And if you're interested in chronic disease epidemiology, we have an awesome center for studying pediatric diabetes (the Barbara C. Davis center) and there's a new institute just starting for lifetime epidemiology of obesity and diabetes, so there may be some opportunities there too. I'd look through the epi faculty to see if there's someone with research you're interested in, and start emailing them to ask more about their research.

Wow, thanks! Those are some great insights and will definitely help me with my decision. One more question and I swear I'm out of your hair :angelic: Those internships you speak of: Are many of them paid?

No, by all means! It's a tough decision to make and I'm here to help. Ask away!

Really, it varies. I have some friends that are working a paid internship and others are working unpaid but for credit and some (I think a fairly large number) are just volunteering. You'll also have several opportunities with the practicum and capstone to get your foot in the door and find a paid position. It depends on the resources available to the professor/organization and what you're willing to work with. I work a part-time job in retail which allows me the luxury of accepting an unpaid internship that gives me excellent experience, so that's something else I'd consider.

Hi!
I have been accepted into the Epidemiology program at Anschutz Medical Campus for Fall 2015 and I am keen on accepting it. I have also received an admit from BUSPH with a merit of $12000 but considering that it is so expensive I will probably not take it.
I am an international student so not aware of the reputation of the University of Colorado SPH and hoping to get some insight into it.
@alm14 Since you have been a part of this institution I was hoping you would help me with this choice.

Hi!
I have been accepted into the Epidemiology program at Anschutz Medical Campus for Fall 2015 and I am keen on accepting it. I have also received an admit from BUSPH with a merit of $12000 but considering that it is so expensive I will probably not take it.
I am an international student so not aware of the reputation of the University of Colorado SPH and hoping to get some insight into it.
@alm14 Since you have been a part of this institution I was hoping you would help me with this choice.

Congratulations on your acceptances! As far as I can tell, CSPH is unranked, largely because it's a pretty new school. It depends a lot on what you're looking for: you probably won't be able to name-drop the institution in job interviews, but you will be able to drop names of professors. I don't know much about Boston since I didn't apply to there, but from what I heard at other schools you'd get a lot more experience here. And from my perspective, what you've done is more important than where you went. So, for example, next year in one of my classes I'll be actually working with a city to plan and realize their health goals and set up a system for tracking them and I'll also be managing a nonprofit, both of which I'm not sure I'd have gotten anywhere else. I think there are a lot of unique opportunities here specifically because we're a little smaller and a little newer, so the market isn't so saturated with recent grads.

What are you interested in in epidemiology? On campus, we have a center for pediatric diabetes and a new institute looking at lifetime epi of obesity and diabetes (of which my epi professor is the first director); we also have the hospitals and a connection with University of Northern Colorado to study zoonotic diseases. The campus is also a WHO collaborating center for maternal and child health. So our epi program is nothing to sneer at. That being said, the name-dropping and ranking may be more important if you want to get in to the CDC or NIH or somewhere more global--BUSPH has an awesome global program. If you came here, you'd probably have to throw your weight around more to prove that you're every bit as good as someone from a better-known school, but in my experience the school is really good at making sure you can put your money where your mouth is.

Thank you so very much! That was indeed very helpful. I am starting to feel more positive about CSPH.
I am also looking for an apartment. I read your previous post about staying away from the campus and it sounded practical to me. Any ideas where I could connect with other incoming students regarding renting homes?
What kind of on-campus jobs can I apply to? How do I go about applying for these?
Also, I am worried about job opportunities after my MPH. What is the job scenario like? Will there be campus placements? I am not overly interested in anything global as such. I read about the pediatric diabetes center somewhere online and it sounds wonderful! Exactly the kind of place I would like to gain experience from!

P.S: I know these are too many questions! But you seem like the right person from whom I can expect an honest opinion! Thanks a ton!

No worries! Like I said, I'm happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. AMA!

For apartments and roommates, I talked to a couple of students on here who were also looking for roommates. There should also be a facebook group getting set up in the near future for admitted students, if it's not up already. Being an international student, would you be able to come to the visit day? That's also a good place to start talking to people about roommates. I didn't sign my lease until late June for a July move-in date, so you should also not have too much of a problem finding housing.

Regarding campus jobs, the summer before I started professors sent out emails about looking for students interested in doing research; my advisor also sent me a few postings, which was really helpful. Once you're a student, too, you can sign up for the CSPH career portal which collects student and full-time jobs submitted directly from recruiters as well as from some public health-related job sites like Idealist.

Job opportunities sound like they're really pretty extensive around here. Being in a region where there really aren't too many schools of public health (I'm not sure if there are any in New Mexico or Arizona, but we're definitely one of the only ones in the Greater Rocky Mountain West region aside from UW) means that there are a lot of places for CSPH students to scatter, and the job market's in no way saturated. There might be a place on campus, but those might be more competitive for Ph.D. students rather than MPHs--health departments are certainly looking, though.

I just got my acceptance from the CSPH for Global Health and Health Disparities this evening!

A quick question for alm14...do Master's students ever receive any type of financial assistance/scholarships? Or is that typically reserved by PhD peeps? I don't care too much, I'm super excited to have been admitted to the program in the first place! Thanks in advance.

I just got my acceptance from the CSPH for Global Health and Health Disparities this evening!

A quick question for alm14...do Master's students ever receive any type of financial assistance/scholarships? Or is that typically reserved by PhD peeps? I don't care too much, I'm super excited to have been admitted to the program in the first place! Thanks in advance.

Congratulations! And yes, there are scholarships available for Master's students as well as TA and RA positions, especially for second-years. I got a scholarship that gave me in-state tuition, so they exist.

Good luck!

I live in Denver and my husband is faculty at Anschutz. With regards to housing:

1. Anschutz is in North Aurora, which is not a good place. I would not recommend living anywhere adjacent to campus, and absolutely don't consider going North of I-70 into the Montbello area. That said, we live in Stapleton, which is a 5-10 minute drive away. It is very family oriented, but does have a fair amount of apartment/condo options. If I had to make an educated guess about costs, I would say rental costs are in the $1500-$1700 range for 1 bedroom and $2000 ish for 2 bedroom.

2. But, if I were single and without kids, I would live closer to downtown (probably on the East side of downtown like Capital Hill, Congress Park, Cheesman Park, Hale etc. If you really want to be close to the action, go into downtown and look at LoDo (lower downtown), RiNo (River North), Speer, the Highlands. Rent is significantly higher in these areas and the commute could be an issue.

3. South/SE Aurora is OK and offers options. If you have kids and can get a school in the Cherry Creek district, that is the way to go.

The rental market in Denver is extremely tight. The city is very desirable and seemingly everyone wants to move here. You have to act early on places.

Here is a map to the neighborhoods in the City and County of Denver. Note, it is city only and does not include Aurora at all. Anschutz (not pictured) can be found to the SE of Stapleton bordering Colfax Avenue.

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/documents/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf

Last edited:
I am a former public health student that finished a program there last year! If you can take the drive, there are a lot more rental properties up in Westminster, Broomfield, Northglenn, and Thornton, and rent is a little cheaper. There is a bus that goes to campus in the mornings. I like the convenience of those suburbs but unfortunately the drive can get a little crazy at times.

I really hope there will be an admitted students' day. I really just want to meet people! As a transplant from Louisiana, I feel like navigating this Denver housing market will be much easier with roommates and while actually in town.

Great to see all this talk about CSPH! I will be accepting my offer into the Global Health - Environmental and Occupational Health Program. I presently go to CU Boulder and have lived in CO for 22 years and I am not planning to live near campus. When I went for a campus tour the adviser told me that the average Anshutz student commute is 27 minutes, I am hoping to find a place to rent in either Broomfield or Westminster. I highly recommend living further away from the hub bub of it all if you are looking for more for your money and easy access to the mountains! If you guys have any more questions about Colorado in general or CU please let me know!!

I live in Denver and my husband is faculty at Anschutz. With regards to housing:

1. Anschutz is in North Aurora, which is not a good place. I would not recommend living anywhere adjacent to campus, and absolutely don't consider going North of I-70 into the Montbello area. That said, we live in Stapleton, which is a 5-10 minute drive away. It is very family oriented, but does have a fair amount of apartment/condo options. If I had to make an educated guess about costs, I would say rental costs are in the $1500-$1700 range for 1 bedroom and $2000 ish for 2 bedroom.

2. But, if I were single and without kids, I would live closer to downtown (probably on the East side of downtown like Capital Hill, Congress Park, Cheesman Park, Hale etc. If you really want to be close to the action, go into downtown and look at LoDo (lower downtown), RiNo (River North), Speer, the Highlands. Rent is significantly higher in these areas and the commute could be an issue.

3. South/SE Aurora is OK and offers options. If you have kids and can get a school in the Cherry Creek district, that is the way to go.

The rental market in Denver is extremely tight. The city is very desirable and seemingly everyone wants to move here. You have to act early on places.

Here is a map to the neighborhoods in the City and County of Denver. Note, it is city only and does not include Aurora at all. Anschutz (not pictured) can be found to the SE of Stapleton bordering Colfax Avenue.

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/documents/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf

Really appreciate this post! We are likely taking the offer out there and have two small children, so trying to find a neighborhood that would be appropriate would be fantastic.

The area directly adjacent to Anschutz and Montbello are bad by Denver standards, but I want to make sure everyone understands that "Denver standards" are pretty tame in comparison to most other mid sized or larger cities. I feel safer here with regards to violent crime than I have ever living in any other major metro.

The suggestions for the NW suburbs like Broomfield, Westminster, Arvada, Thornton are good ones, especially if you have kids. Much lower price point than Stapleton, Lowry or urban Denver, however, the commute will be a pain, especially on Hwy 36 towards Boulder, which services the Broomfield area.

A bit of history about why this part of town is the way it is. Stapleton was the site of the commercial airport until the mid 90s. When they opened DIA, Stapleton was developed as a huge, new urban neighborhood. It is absolutely the best you can get close to Anschutz in terms of schools, pools, parks, nearby shopping etc. It's one of the best places to live in Denver if you have a family, period. Lowry is similar. It used to be an air force base, then got developed (by the same developer as Stapleton). That's why the surrounding areas are so crummy, because they were airports and bases. Anschutz was in the middle of this no man's land, and had an Army Medical facility there, but when the base closed in the late 90s, I believe they sold it to CU or otherwise financially enticed the Univ to move the whole of the medical campus over there. Below are some more links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschutz_Medical_Campus
http://www.stapletondenver.com

The Cherry Creek school district portion of Aurora is definitely worth a look as well.

Last edited:
@alm14 I tried looking for a facebook group but cant seem to find one. I am from India so its not possible for me to come visit before July. I need to get everything done online. In case you do come across a facebook group would you please let me know?

And regarding the campus jobs, your're saying I should wait till Summer for emails from professors? That sounds good. Also, is tutoring undergrads an option? Bcoz a friend of mine is doing his MS from Boulder and he s currently tutoring on campus. So is that a viable option for me at Anschutz?

And thanks for the intel on jobs! it does sound assuring :)

@Follow the Cairns Thanks a lot for the inputs on housing! I am single and looking for a decent neighborhood but nothing too expensive! Stapleton sounds good.. Ill look into that! Also I was wondering why is it that north aurora is not recommended? I have been told by one more person to NOT considering living there. I am just curious as to why it isnt a good place?

@alm14

@Follow the Cairns Thanks a lot for the inputs on housing! I am single and looking for a decent neighborhood but nothing too expensive! Stapleton sounds good.. Ill look into that! Also I was wondering why is it that north aurora is not recommended? I have been told by one more person to NOT considering living there. I am just curious as to why it isnt a good place?

Well, for instance, there was a shooting that happened just yesterday on the Aurora/Stapleton border. My kids' school was on lockdown (probably an overly precautionary measure). Does this sort of thing happen often in the Denver metro area? No. But, when it does, it seems to disproportionately happen in North Aurora.

There are some very nice parts of Aurora, particularly South, and having Anschutz there now has already started a gentrification in North Aurora, but it will be years before that area completely turns.

Aurora has a long lingering bad reputation because of a lot of crime in the 80s and early 90s. At this point, that reputation is probably unfair. Then, of course, just a couple of years ago, you had that nut James Holmes (while as student at Anschutz) killing several people in the Aurora theatre shooting. So, that further dragged Aurora's reputation through the mud.

We know a lot of people that live in South Aurora and commute to Anschutz. You could even live as far as the Denver Tech Center, where there are tons of apartments. But, North Aurora, anywhere near the campus, should still be avoided in my opinion.

Thanks for all of the info regarding housing/rentals. I am shocked to hear of the prices. $1500-$1700 for a one bedroom? I currently live by the Beach here in southern California and don't pay that, so I was expecting to pay much less in Denver.

Are there some affordable areas you could reccomend looking into? I am not with a family or children so that is not an issue. Nor do I care about being downtown. I merely want a comfortable space that is affordable and allows for an easy commute.
Thanks again for all of the info

Well, I haven't been a renter in 15 years, so I could be off on my estimates. But, I think I might not be, sadly.

I have heard that Denver is the most expensive non coastal market in the nation. If you are willing to be in some not so glamorous areas, then you might get something for less. Also, most my estimates are based on the demographic of "young professional with a high income", not a Grad student, if that makes sense.

I lived in a place in Westy that started at 1000 a month and it was middle-of-the-road. There are also ways you can go through town to get from Anschutz to the Northwestern suburbs when traffic is bad... just to give you an example - when traffic was normal/light if I took US 36/I-70 I made it to campus in about a half an hour. Going through town took me 45 minutes to an hourish no matter what the traffic was, but I would often go through town when it was rush hour because it would take me at least an hour to get back home on US 36/I-70 in heavy traffic (between say 3:30 - 6:30). US 36/I-70 can be crazy and dangerous during rush hour so I always played it safe and tried to avoid it. There are good schools in the Northwestern suburbs as well - Cherry Creek can be a little pricey. There is also a new community called Reunion in Commerce City (north of campus) that is safe and decent and might be worth considering.

@alm14 I tried looking for a facebook group but cant seem to find one. I am from India so its not possible for me to come visit before July. I need to get everything done online. In case you do come across a facebook group would you please let me know?

And regarding the campus jobs, your're saying I should wait till Summer for emails from professors? That sounds good. Also, is tutoring undergrads an option? Bcoz a friend of mine is doing his MS from Boulder and he s currently tutoring on campus. So is that a viable option for me at Anschutz?

And thanks for the intel on jobs! it does sound assuring :)

Summer was when I first started to receive emails about job postings. Tutoring undergrads might be an option, but you'd have to look at the UC-Denver Downtown Campus (the Auraria Campus) for those. Boulder has an advantage in that respect because the graduate students are on the same campus as the undergrads. The CSPH campus is with the health professions students in Aurora, which is separate from the undergrad campus. You can also look into tutoring for the SAT/ACT or high school courses, or at other part-time positions.

We know a lot of people that live in South Aurora and commute to Anschutz. You could even live as far as the Denver Tech Center, where there are tons of apartments. But, North Aurora, anywhere near the campus, should still be avoided in my opinion.

I second this. It might be an unfair reputation for Aurora, but my advisor told me before I moved here that living or even parking around campus to try and save money was, in most cases, not a good idea (parking on campus is totally cool and safe, but going off of it is not).

I actually cheated a little with parking. I was taking a class on cancer biology through UC Boulder and that made me eligible to buy my UC Boulder parking which worked out to be cheaper than parking at Anschutz. The beauty of it was, the UCB pass gave me reciprocal parking at Anschutz in all the visitors lots (so I wouldn't have to walk too much). I also recommend taking "fun classes" to enrich your education through UCB if you can, but I was told that I was crazy to do this when I was there.

Hi,

I applied for MPH in CSPH for fall 2015. I applied for Epidemiology and Maternal & Child Health.My scores are
Verbal: 145
Quants: 153
GPA:3.7

What are my chances for admission?

Thanks

When did you apply?

I can't really speak to your chances, since I have no idea how admissions work. Epi tends to be a lot more of a competitive program than MCH, so if I had to guess you have a better shot at MCH. Do you have any public health-related experience?

The timing is working against you, unfortunately, unless they've changed the application dates since last year. But it looks like last year we had a 67% acceptance rate, though if they've received 2200 applications this year then that rate has certainly dropped significantly.

You might want to talk to the admissions office about your application--they can probably provide better insight. Like I said, I really have no idea how admissions or chances work, and we're so new as a school there's not much history to go on.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for all your replies. This question is valid for me only after I get the admission, but still I would like to know the research assistantship opportunity in the Epidemiology, do you know which centre or professor in epidemiology have more research assistants?Can I do volunteer RA under any professor? As Im in town, do you recommend me meeting any specific professor in epidemiology for volunteering?

Thanks again for all your inputs.

No problem! RA positions, especially in epi, are again really competitive. A lot of the positions are reserved for PhD candidates, but there are certainly a lot of opportunities to work with the professors on a volunteer basis--you can look at the Barbara Davis Center if you're interested in pediatric diabetes, and there's a new center for lifetime obesity and diabetes. Once you get accepted, you'll be able to access the CSPH job portal, where you might also be able to find a paid position either with the school or with one of the health departments. Keep in mind, too, that you'll have the practicum and capstone projects to get experience and make connections as well, so don't feel pressured to walk into your first semester with an RA-ship lined up.

I've found most of my professors to be really accessible and willing to meet with interested students. When I was applying, I went through the faculty list on the website and looked at their research, and emailed the ones whose research was really interesting to me. I'd recommend doing that--it'll give you insight into the research going on at the different campuses and it really helped me narrow my focus and interests, and figure out how to explain them to professors and potential employers.

Its really nice to see your detailed answer. I

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm sure your doing help in answering all questions in this forum. I'm qualified for instate, I would like to know how much I have to pay for each semester, I saw $708 per sem for instate but would like to know what will the total fee including all other fee per sem, Planing to do the following with my course work
Fall 2015-12 credits
Spring 2016 - 12 credits
Sum 2016 - 10 credits
Fall 2016 - 8 credits
Do you think its possible to take 10 credits in summer? Does anyone have ever finished MPH in 1 and half years( in 4 semester including summer)? I will extend one more sem if this schedule gets really difficult.

Thanks!

Once you hear about your admission, I'd talk to the financial aid office about how much you'd be expected to pay. You can also look here for the cost per credit plus the fees/semester or year: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...ademics/academics/Pages/CostofAttendance.aspx

It is possible to do the MPH in 1.5 years, as far as I can tell! I can't speak to exactly the course load, but they gave us a print-out of possible course schedules for the CBH concentration for 2 years, 1.5 years, and 1 year. Just keep in mind that doing 1.5 years will limit your options for elective classes and for getting work experience since each semester would be a lot heavier of a load. If you're at all unsure of what you want to do or what environment (local/state health department, CDC, nonprofit sector, private sector, consulting, etc.) you want to work in, or if you don't have a public health network built up, I'd recommend taking the two years to get the degree.