Common interview mishaps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

radioactive15

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It would be cool if there was a thread that listed common things people do wrong in medical school interviews, specifically.

A few things I can think of are saying stuff that doesn't agree with your app, no eye contact, and not dressing appropriately (though the latter might not be common anymore I think)

What are some other things interviewees say or do wrong in medical school interviews?

An interviewer or admissions officer would probably be well experienced in identifying these flaws, but if anyone else wants to discuss bad things that are common or happen in interviews, it would be very helpful
 
Earlier in the year I've heard that my man bun will be frowned upon (that kinda fits into the dressing/appearance category). We will see.
One of the most common (and potent killers) that I've heard about is an applicant's inability to explain why he/she wants to become a physician - aside from "help people" or "i'm good at science" or "everyone in my family is a doctor" It seems logical that if you don't have a good answer to that question, you won't be perceived as a great candidate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
See my post on "guide to interviews"

It would be cool if there was a thread that listed common things people do wrong in medical school interviews, specifically.

A few things I can think of are saying stuff that doesn't agree with your app, no eye contact, and not dressing appropriately (though the latter might not be common anymore I think)

What are some other things interviewees say or do wrong in medical school interviews?

An interviewer or admissions officer would probably be well experienced in identifying these flaws, but if anyone else wants to discuss bad things that are common or happen in interviews, it would be very helpful