Destroyer question

Started by kov82
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kov82

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gen chem #98 The Ksp of PbCl2 is 1.6X10^-5 at 25 degrees C, what is the solubility of PbCl2, in .01 M KCl?

they say the answer is .16 M, I got that, but because the common ion was Cl- for the answer I multiplied my x which was .16 by two since Cl- is 2x, and that was one of the choices, how should I think of this question? is it simply since they didn't ask what is the solubility of Cl-? if they did, the answer would by .32M?
 
you would set it up as:
Ksp = [x] * [2x+.01]^2
But since 2x would be much smaller compared to .01, you can ignore it from the calculation. Then you would have:
1.6 x 10^-5 = [x] (.01)^2
x = (1.6 x 10^-5)/(1.0 x 10^-4)
x = 1.6 x 10^-1
x = .16 M
 
yea I got that, I know how to do it, but I thought it was a kind of "trick" considering 2 moles of Cl-, so I multiplied it with two, I'm guessing its wrong because it asked for solubility of the whole molecule, if it had said the concentration of Cl-, then it would be .32 right?