You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do I need post-bac/SMP?
Started by BAS04yall
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We do not have enough information to help you out, sorry. 3.4 is low, but it's not so low that I would automatically say you should do a post-bac.
What is your MCAT, what kinds of interesting and unique activities do you have? Are you an URM and/or disadvantaged? What is your home state? Which schools are you hoping to get into?
What is your MCAT, what kinds of interesting and unique activities do you have? Are you an URM and/or disadvantaged? What is your home state? Which schools are you hoping to get into?
I have taken the MCAT twice. First time was a 30, second time was 32.
Can you give me an example of interesting/unique activity? I have the general clinical jobs, volunteer work, etc. Wouldn't say they are "unique" unfortuantely
No I am not URM
home state - alabama (only 2 MD schools in the state)
I don't really have a school list but I would prefer applying just MD and if the cycle doesnt go well, then re apply both MD and DO
Can you give me an example of interesting/unique activity? I have the general clinical jobs, volunteer work, etc. Wouldn't say they are "unique" unfortuantely
No I am not URM
home state - alabama (only 2 MD schools in the state)
I don't really have a school list but I would prefer applying just MD and if the cycle doesnt go well, then re apply both MD and DO
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know that anyone can tell you for sure. Your MCAT is kind of like your GPA, it's good but it's not stellar. Personally I would apply to the best of your ability with the 3.4. Post-bacs are long and expensive. If you don't get in before January, you can retake a couple courses over the Spring that you didn't do well in and then if you end up not getting in anywhere you can use grade replacement with DO.
Unique activities are either truly unique (think climbing Mt. Everest, being an Olympian) or they are "regular" activities where you have some sort of unique contribution (you start a foundation, you make some sort of lasting impact on the organization long term). Unique activities can also be pretty standard in other fields but unique for medical school applications (for example robot design/fighting/obstacle competitions, culinary/pastry school, street performing, basically any sort of very serious art)
Unique activities are either truly unique (think climbing Mt. Everest, being an Olympian) or they are "regular" activities where you have some sort of unique contribution (you start a foundation, you make some sort of lasting impact on the organization long term). Unique activities can also be pretty standard in other fields but unique for medical school applications (for example robot design/fighting/obstacle competitions, culinary/pastry school, street performing, basically any sort of very serious art)
If you apply very, very broadly with those stats you'll probably get in somewhere. You've kind of got the problem of being way too average. In a given school's applicant pool, there's gonna be somebody with an equivalent MCAT and higher GPA or an equivalent GPA with a higher MCAT. When you're in this kind of spot, you really have to do something to set yourself apart EC wise or academically if you want to improve your chances of admission. Without something that wows the adcoms about your file, you're just going to have to shotgun it and send out a huge pile of apps, hoping that somebody bites. If you're white, you're looking at a 39.1-54.2% chance of admission per the table (since you're straddling the line at 3.4, I used the acceptance range of anyone from a 3.2-3.6 with your MCAT score). Your odds will be worse if you're Asian, better if you're a URM. Good luck.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf
Majors don't make a whole hell of a lot of difference statistically.Ok thanks. is having an engineering degree unique?
http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...-right-undergraduate-major-for-medical-school
If you apply very, very broadly with those stats you'll probably get in somewhere. You've kind of got the problem of being way too average. In a given school's applicant pool, there's gonna be somebody with an equivalent MCAT and higher GPA or an equivalent GPA with a higher MCAT. When you're in this kind of spot, you really have to do something to set yourself apart EC wise or academically if you want to improve your chances of admission. Without something that wows the adcoms about your file, you're just going to have to shotgun it and send out a huge pile of apps, hoping that somebody bites. If you're white, you're looking at a 39.1-54.2% chance of admission per the table (since you're straddling the line at 3.4, I used the acceptance range of anyone from a 3.2-3.6 with your MCAT score). Your odds will be worse if you're Asian, better if you're a URM. Good luck.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf
Can you explain what you mean by "very, very broadly"?
Im either going to apply this year or take two years off to go do the Peace Corps. I need to catch the eyes of the admissions somehow.
No, it wont be a factor: ie they wont give you because you were in a harder major
aw man. should have been a bio major :/
Majors don't make a whole hell of a lot of difference statistically.
http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...-right-undergraduate-major-for-medical-school
How come though? I mean I'm positive an engineering degree is a whole lot harder to do well in than an english degree. Is it because schools want diversity? I could have graduated with a 3.7 with an english/poly sci major and with my MCAT, would have been in a better shape. I'm not trying to complain, just wondering about this rationale
I mean like 40+ schools if you want to maximize your chances of admission. If you apply to 20 schools, you're probably going to have odds that are close to the 40-45% range. You might be able to get closer to the 60%+ range if you increase your number of apps. In any case, you're looking at a lot of secondaries. Of course, this entirely depends on your school mix. If you go mostly low-mid tier, you could probably cut down your app number to 20, maybe 25 or so, and if no one bites at that point, you're probably SOL until you improve your app. Applying to more schools can never hurt you and might score you an extra interview or two, but it'll take money and time.Can you explain what you mean by "very, very broadly"?
Im either going to apply this year or take two years off to go do the Peace Corps. I need to catch the eyes of the admissions somehow.
It isn't about how hard your degree is, as the MCAT demonstrates how well you've mastered the material that medical schools require you to know. If you've got a kid with a 35 and a 3.3 GPA that is an English major and a guy who's got a 32 and a 3.3 GPA that is an engineering major, then that English major managed to successfully master the prerequisite material better than the engineer despite not having constant reinforcement of the subject matter. The MCAT gives you a good gauge for how good a person's brain is at sponging up minutia, a critical skill when it comes time for the boards.How come though? I mean I'm positive an engineering degree is a whole lot harder to do well in than an english degree. Is it because schools want diversity? I'm not complaining, just wondering
I will go against the grain and say that you should do an SMP if you want MD. Especially if you want to target schools of your choosing and not blindly throw out 50 apps.
Depending on your actual background, a DIY maybe cheaper and nearly as effective. But SMP is good route in this case. Your close but a push would get you much much closer
How much should I raise my GPA through a DIY, if I were to do one?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As much as reasonably possible before the application cycle of your choosing. You'll have to calculate out your gpa's and credit hours and see how many credit hours at attainable grades (don't assume straight A's if you probably can't get all A's) and see how many you need to get your gpa into the ranges of schools you're interested in.How much should I raise my GPA through a DIY, if I were to do one?
As much as reasonably possible before the application cycle of your choosing. You'll have to calculate out your gpa's and credit hours and see how many credit hours at attainable grades (don't assume straight A's if you probably can't get all A's) and see how many you need to get your gpa into the ranges of schools you're interested in.
Okay thanks. Yea I definitely can't get straight As but a 3.7-3.8 should be quite reasonable.
I found a DIY post-bac guys. Unfortunately I need about 50 credits of at least 3.8 to raise my GPA to a 3.6, which I think will be somewhat competitive given my MCAT score. I may retake my MCAT if it comes down to that.
But do you think 25 credits a semester is overkill? It sounds horrible but if a 3.6 is the benchmark, it seems like my only option.
But do you think 25 credits a semester is overkill? It sounds horrible but if a 3.6 is the benchmark, it seems like my only option.
But do you think 25 credits a semester is overkill? It sounds horrible but if a 3.6 is the benchmark, it seems like my only option.
Food for thought. Just because something is your only option doesn't mean that it's a good option.