[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicandtoughness

pewpew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1.) If it's not publication worthy, at least poster at a national level conference, not really. It's nice to have the experience in general, but they want to see quality as well.

2.) I'd say getting quality of research is slightly more important at the pre-grad school stage. Good time for breadth experience, your depth experience will come later.

4.) Departmental is ok, but definitely viewed very differently than if you presented at a national/international conference. Anything that gets peer reviewed definitely is looked upon more favorably.

5.) Clinical work in general at the undergrad level is diminishing returns by and large, with a few minor exceptions. Most of what people can do is fairly low level, so as long as there is "something" there, it's ok. Not a whole lot of differentiation there between applicants. Most of the differences come out on the research exp and stats end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree/would add a few things to what WisNeuro said above.

1) Yes, absolutely. Even if it didn't turn into a poster or publication, because you might not have found anything but that doesn't mean the study wasnt good. I love to see senior theses/honors theses, particularly experimental ones, because it means the person has at least SOME idea of what doing a study and writing it up entails.
2/3) I personally don't care as much about research area as quality of research, as WisNeuro said. What I'll add, though, is that you can spin just about anything in your personal statement. If you choose a physio/neuro lab but you want to study mood/personality disorders, you can talk about how the methodology you learned could be used in X, Y, Z ways in the area you area really interested in, etc. You want to get research experience that will be substantial, AND where the person mentoring you will be able to know you and write you a good letter. Unless the writer is uber famous, think more about what the writer can say than what type of research it is.
5) Some PIs might care, but I suspect most do not. Having no clinical experience is fine in my book. The only thing I find valuable about clinical training like crisis hotline training (or other kind of medical experience, like paramedic training or something) would be some indication that the student might be able to handle strong emotional situations, and isn't really scared of them. But other than that....don't care. And, in fact, someone with a LOT of clinical training might actually get discounted as being "too clinically focused" which could turn some PIs off.

I agree with @EmotRegulation on point 1. Most undergrad theses aren't publishable but the experience of running a study, even a small one, from the ground up is very valuable.

With regards to five, I think most programs like to see some sort of clinical experience, just as proof that you've gotten your feet wet, so to speak, in terms of working with people. I actually had one balanced PhD program specifically request a clinical LOR.

1. Yes definitely w/ undergrad, Yes w/ masters only if it's published/presented (expectations are higher for a master's thesis) and accompanied by a high GPA
2. The one that will give you the most hands-on experience and set you up for success w/in current funding climate...at your stage think it's more about getting training in novel methods/experimental paradigms than specific population
4. Departmental is better than nothing, but doesn't really "count" (I ignore these when I review applications)/ You don't need to explain it on your CV
5. Nope, don't care at all.

Note: I'm research focused, so take that into consideration