Freezing Point

Started by burke236
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

burke236

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do I solve this problem?

which of the following will possess the lowest freezing point?

A. 0.1 m Na3PO4
B. 0.1 m H2SO4
C. 0.1 m C6H12O6
D. 0.1 m NaCl

The answer is A, but I am not sure how you are supposed to know that.
 
freezing point is a colligative property. therefore, the answer depends on the number of particles, not necessarily their identify. the van't hoff factor (i) is the number of ions a molecule dissociates into. the more molecules the more the freezing point depression.

Na3PO4 dissociates into 4 particles (I believe), while all the other dissociate into less. it helps that they're all in the same concentration