How do eyes work?

Started by Maxxxx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maxxxx

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I usually see diagrams of eyes like this one, where the lens focuses the light on to the retina.
upload_2014-3-20_0-21-5.png


So how does this work with the lens equation 1/f = 1/o +1/i ?
Is the distance between lens and retina i or f? I think it should be i, and f is somewhere closer to the lens. Am I right?
 
For eyes, you usually assume that object = infinity. That's why most questions say that distance between retina and lens = focal length = i.
 
I see. So if o is closer, f moves closer to the lens?
Unlike virtually all human made optical contraptions which focus the image by changing i (moving the lens back and forth), human eyes focus on closer objects by changing f, the focal length of the lens, by deforming the lens itself. And yes, when 0 decreases, 1/o increases, 1/0+1/i increases, 1/f has to increase, which means f decreases when focusing on closer objects.