How do we know which LORs the adcoms will read?

Started by omgroll
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

omgroll

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I am one of those Canadian applicants with no pre-health committee in their undergrad school. I had to send AADSAS 1 LOR from a dentist, 2 from sci prof and 1 from non-sci prof to meet the requirements for LORs.
Now I know that schools that require 2 sci and 1 dent will look at those three letters but what about those schools that require 1 sci-prof and 2 others? or 1 sci, 1 non-sci and 1 dentist?
How will they choose?

I'm wondering this because I know one of my sci prof has written me a mediocre at best LOR .. which is saddening but its already been sent 🙁 Can't do anything about it..
 
I assume they will read (or more likely skim--they have so many apps to go through!) all of the letters in your file. Why would they arbitrarily choose to read some and not others?
 
I assume they will read (or more likely skim--they have so many apps to go through!) all of the letters in your file. Why would they arbitrarily choose to read some and not others?

huh.. make sense.
I forgot that those were 'minimum' requirements....👍
 
Hey guys,

I am one of those Canadian applicants with no pre-health committee in their undergrad school. I had to send AADSAS 1 LOR from a dentist, 2 from sci prof and 1 from non-sci prof to meet the requirements for LORs.
Now I know that schools that require 2 sci and 1 dent will look at those three letters but what about those schools that require 1 sci-prof and 2 others? or 1 sci, 1 non-sci and 1 dentist?
How will they choose?

I'm wondering this because I know one of my sci prof has written me a mediocre at best LOR .. which is saddening but its already been sent 🙁 Can't do anything about it..

My app has 5 letters, 3 sci, 1 non-sci, 1 dentist. Some of the interviewers told me that I have very good LORs, so I assume they read them all.