How I Raised My MCAT Score By 10 Points in 2 Months — The Spinach Method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOW WITH PS!
The Spinach Method
-or-
How I Added 10 Points To My MCAT Score In 2 Months​

By: Spinach Dip
Posted on Student Doctor Network

= THE OVERVIEW=​

Let’s get the most obvious question out of the way first:
30 (9,9,12) on 20 Nov 2012, using a paper copy of AAMC #1
40 (14,11,15) on 26 Jan 2013, on the actual test. :soexcited:

Greetings future MCAT takers and re-takers! This is my guide on how to utterly destroy this monster of a standardized exam!

Let’s get the disclaimers out of the way, first:
—This article is copyright by ME, Spinach Dip, posted here on the Student Doctor Network for the benefit of all. You may NOT, in any circumstance, claim that you authored it in part or in whole, NOR may you post it in part or in whole on any other website whatsoever. PLEASE do not print it off to share with your friends, pre-med club, or anyone else. I would APPRECIATE it if you gave out direct links to this article so others could read it, in its entirety, for themselves.
—You are free to refer to the “Spinach Method” on your own website/blog/facebook/twitter/etc if you wish, but you may NOT post excerpts, and you SHOULD provide a direct link to this article.
—I do not guarantee that you will see the same score increase that I saw. There are simply too many variables in play at any one time to guarantee anything. :(
—I will always write scores as “Total (PS,VR,BS)” or “(PS,VR,BS) Total”. In other words, the section scores will be represented in the order they actually appear on the exam, not in some score report which mixes things around for no discernable reason
—I am willing to engage in kind-hearted debate about some of the details I list below. But if you come here just to insult me, I will ignore you and report your post for being offensive. Keep it civil.
—If you have success with this method, please post below and tell others you used the Spinach Method to study!

*Deep breath* Let’s get into it.

This test is a beast. A salivating, voracious monster. A soulless horror from the deepest pit of hell. A massive, brutish minotaur hidden in a labyrinth by the AAMC with the sole purpose of slaying any and all who come before it unprepared. The labyrinth is also known as “undergrad”, full of twists, turns, and dead ends—which anyone might eventually find their way through given enough time. The minotaur is the test itself, and all must engage it in a one-on-one battle-to-the-death. Some are slain by the minotaur. many come out bleeding and bruised, yet alive. Others are victorious but come away with a slight limp or a black eye. And a select few slay the minotaur effortlessly and come out with nary a scratch. After the battle, it is up to the Council of Elders (adcoms) to determine if you are worthy of one of their illustrious apprenticeships (acceptance to med school).

My own path has been long and winding. I took several wrong turns in the labyrinth. Changed my major… let’s see… three times. Came out with a below-average GPA that took a couple extra years to complete. I haven’t met with the Council of Elders yet, but hope to hear their decision within a year. But, as for the minotaur, it wasn’t even close! I kicked its ass, spit in its eye, spray-painted my name on the wall, stole its candy, and on my way out I yelled: “SUCKS TO BE YOU!!”

Yeah!

That’s what I said! :smuggrin:

And now that we’re all pumped up, let’s get to the meat of this post—the method. I have seen SN2ed’s method, and while it definitely works for some people, I found it much too restrictive for my own study style.

What follows are 20 basic points of this method. As I was studying for the MCAT, I kept a list of what I found helpful and unhelpful, notes to myself about how to study most efficiently. I have embellished these points into what you see below. Some are specific and somewhat unknown. Some are broad ideas you should be doing all the time. Others are general knowledge which I am repeating here for the purpose of reinforcement. But all are important to the Spinach Method of studying for the MCAT.

=1. The Overall Idea=

The backbone of this entire method is based on repeating 5 different activities over and over to assess and overcome your own weaknesses and lack of knowledge.

The first is testing. This is the most obvious. You want to take 3 full-length tests every week. Two should be from secondary sources (Kaplan, TPR, TBR, EK, GS, Arco, etc), while one should be primary (AAMC is the only primary souce of material). In my schedule, I took secondary tests on Monday and Wednesday, then a primary (AAMC) test each Friday. Every time you take a test, you should do a careful post-game analysis. Make this analysis twice as thorough for AAMC tests.

The second is quizzing. This is what you do on your other days (in my case, Tuesday and Thursday, with a little less on Saturday). This is the time where you get out a book such as EK1001 or TPR Hyperlearning and do practice questions and passages on whichever subject you did poorly on last time you took a test. You could also simulate a test if you wish, doing 52 PS questions, 7 VR passages, and 52 BS questions.

After every single test or quiz, it is imperative that you study the questions you got wrong and WHY you got them wrong. The simple mistakes (such as forgetting the formula to calculate Joules) go on flashcards. Your flashcards should have a single word or phrase on the front; on the other side, all the information you need to know about the term. For example:
Front: Newtons
Back: Mass*Acceleration. Measure of force. Newtons = kg*meters/seconds^2

You will also have a notebook for more complicated questions, or a passage which you did poorly at. For example, let’s say you get to a passage on the sympathetic nervous system and only get 3/6 correct. To prevent this from happening again, you will write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system in your notebook, containing as many questions as you feel you need. Alternately, if you mess up a complicated question, put it in your notebook with an in-depth answer explaining why the correct answer is actually the correct answer. (Don’t do this for VR—it is a whole separate section that requires special tactics to tackle.) Organize your notebook so the questions start on page one and answers start at the half-way point, so you can flip between them easily.

While doing your flashcards and notebook, engage in content review. I have a rather low opinion of content review, and only used it when struggling with a difficult concept.

=2. Verbal is Different=

Verbal is the bane of everyone’s existence. It is the most conceptual of the sections, and there is no benefit to be gained from writing flashcards for VR or including it in your notebook. Rather, I did a full section (7 passages) almost every day and treated it like the actual exam. The only difference I made between materials was to review any primary (AAMC) material with utmost detail, going over every single question with a fine-toothed comb during the post-test analysis. On quiz materials or secondary tests, the more important thing is to practice your method of reading, timing, and approaching questions logically.

Often, the writers of secondary tests will have… let’s say “interesting”… methods of reasoning out the correct answer to a single question. I say: ignore their reasoning. Don’t even read it. But, on the other hand, realize that the MCAT authors are always right. Why? Because they wrote the test. That makes them infallible when it comes to VR. Get that into your head right now. The MCAT authors are always right.

Reasoning behind AAMC Verbal answers = always right
Reasoning behind Secondary Verbal answers = virtually meaningless.

=3. Use Resources That Are Readily Available.=

Chances are you have a University library. Use it. Who knows what study material you might find on the shelves? And as a follow up, use your public library and see what they have available. I got a couple Kaplan and TBR books from my local public library. Get a library card and check! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to classmates about some expensive textbook and when I ask if they checked the public libraries, they stare at me like I’m speaking Ukrainian.

For that matter, use Google and Wikipedia if you need help answering a specific question that does not appear to be in your content review books.

=4. Which Materials Are Best?=

It largely does not matter what materials you use. Obviously, the AAMC tests are the absolute best and you should use them in the most effective way possible. But, beyond that, the whole debate about TBR/TPR/EK/Kaplan/GS/Arco/Etc is largely moot. The value that can be obtained from each is dependent on how much effort YOU put into understanding the material and how well you do your post-game analysis.

In short, your own dedication to your success is the single most important factor to determining how much you can raise your score.

In the previous section, I said you should use libraries to find materials. That’s exactly what I did for the vast majority of the materials I used.

For the purpose of full disclosure:
—For tests, I used: AAMC (obviously), Kaplan, Arco, GS, and maybe TPR and TBR (Might have gotten an online test or two from these, but don’t remember).
—For quizzes, I used: Mostly just EK101 for Verbal, and the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook (~2000 questions in this book is equivalent to ~20 MCAT exams).
—For content review, I used: Kaplan, TPR, TBR, some GS videos, Arco, Wikipedia, Google, Youtube, and more.

=5. Get A Timer And Use It=

Preparing for the MCAT may be a marathon, but the actual test is not. The time you spend actually answering questions on the MCAT is, at most, 3 hours and 20 minutes. You also get two 10-minute breaks. Yet I have heard frequently of people doing 5… 6… 7… even 8 hour marathons of studying. In my mind, this is the single best way to wear yourself out and forget everything you went over by the following morning.

I used a timer any time I did something on paper. If it was a test, I gave myself 70 minutes for PS, 60 for VR, and 70 for BS. If a quiz day, I would do 75 minutes of PS or BS, and 60 for VR (I did a VR passage about ¾ of my quiz days, regardless. For BS and PS, the goal during quizzes was to answer as many questions as possible within the given time without getting reckless. For Verbal, it was more about the technique of reading the passages and reasoning through the 40 questions within 60 minutes.

Make sure to take a FULL 10 minute break between each section. When you’re done with 3 quiz sections, take a longer break (I usually grabbed lunch) and get refreshed. Then come back, correct, and review what you got wrong.

If you are really intense, you could try 4 hours of quizzes. If that works for you, fine. Just don’t get burned out.

=6. Do Something Every Day=

Don’t slack off.

If you have a dedicated “rest day” (mine was Sunday), you should at least do something slightly helpful toward the goal of studying for the MCAT. Review your flashcards or read through your notebook. You could even do some non-MCAT reading or play League of Legends. Anything to keep you sharp and active. Some people have said playing minigames on their iPhone keeps them sharp. Go with whatever works for you.

Don’t watch Amish Mafia, Ancient Aliens or Honey Boo Boo. If you do any of those, I think you deserve to lose points on your MCAT.

=7. What I Suggest When You Need a Break=

Some days you wake up and have absolutely no drive to answer questions about capacitors. Or you may feel sick or have a headache. In that case, it is okay to put aside your plans for the day and do something easier. Turn a 3-part quiz day into a 1-part quiz day if you must. Don’t slack off just because you’re feeling lazy (that’s the single worst thing you can do while preparing for this test).

But when you do need a break, you should do something productive. I really like reading as a relaxing pastime (and it might increase your VR score slightly). If you are looking for a reading list, I would suggest:
—Maus by Art Spiegelman. The biography of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jew in Poland during WWII. The only graphic novel to win a Pulitzer Prize.
—Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Set in Napoleonic Wars England, this book tells the tale of the first two English magicians in several centuries. Although very long (1000 pages in mass market paperback), it received universal acclaim from critics in numerous genres.

Of course, you could also try something more stimulating. Whether this means a jog around the block, a hot shower, or an intense game of Starcraft is up to you.

TV is the last option, IMO. I hardly ever watch TV, but I know that there are some good, informational shows around. I like Antiques Roadshow and Mysteries at the Museum because I feel like I learn something with every episode. The Military Chanel is good if you like to study WWII, but it can be extremely depressing. Or you can find something for yourself—just make sure it will leave you smarter than before you tuned in.

=8. Earplugs=

Get some.

Short story: When I took the GRE a couple years ago, some woman a few tables down started crying. I don’t know if it’s because she was too stressed or had just seen her score, but she was sobbing and trying to be quiet about it. She was also failing, and I’m pretty sure everyone in the testing center could hear her. The only reason I could hear her was because I had forgotten my earplugs that morning.

Short Story #2:When I took the MCAT a couple months ago, I was randomly assigned to seat #1. Do you know which one that is? In my test center, it’s the one closest to the door. People were walking behind me and opening and closing that squeaky door the whole time. Gladly, I remembered to bring my earplugs this day, so the noise was practically indistinguishable.

Now, I realize that people have different size ear canals, so I have put together a quick list based on my own experiences with trying to find the perfect noise-blocking earplug:
—Very Small Ears: Mack’s Dreamgirl. Don’t laugh. Anyway, these things are tiny. Only small females and children would find these useful.
—Small Ears: 3M 1120. They look weird, but are actually soft and very easy to place. “3M” is the maker and “1120” is the model number.
—Medium Ears: Max Lite. This is the kind I use almost every night. :sleep: They are slightly hard to place, but are very comfortable when in right and cut sound amazingly well. I can wear these for 12+ hours without discomfort.
—Large Ears: Laser Lite. The same as Max Lite, but with a larger diameter. I can wear these for a short time, but they begin to irritate my ears after a couple hours.
—Very Large Ears: EARsoft FX. These have the absolute highest noise reduction rating, but are for huge ears only. I can wear these for a few minutes before they start bothering me.

=9. Find Something Which Helps You Concentrate=

No. I don’t mean Ritalin. And if that was the first thing to enter your mind, you might want to take a course in medical ethics. :slap:

I mean something like coffee, candy, or energy drinks. Something high in sugar, caffeine, or both. Something completely legal and ethical.

Caffeine has never really worked for me. Sugar does. I know, it’s unhealthy and predisposes one to diabetes and all that, but it’s what helps me when a major test is involved.

I started with peanut butter M&Ms. But these got rather boring after a while, so I tried some other candies and eventually settled on skittles. Yes. I’m serious. They have a variety of flavors, so they don’t get repetitive in taste. When you’re on a 10-minute break during a practice test take a couple handfuls and throw them back while you take some deep breaths and prepare mentally for the next section.

Every person is different. Figure out what works for you.

=10. Mark Questions And Review Them=

It sounds obvious, but so many people don’t do it!

While you’re taking a test (either primary or secondary), mark a question if you’re not sure about your answer. Do this in every single test, whether primary or secondary. Pretend each one is the actual MCAT. If you have time left at the end of the section, go back and review your marked questions one-by-one. Think about why you marked this question in the first place. Is it because some calculation confused you? Or did you mark it just to double-check your work? Is it because the question uses some vocabulary you aren’t familiar with? Try to reason it out. If you can’t, move on to the next marked question.

Fair warning: Be extremely careful what you mark in VR. After completing the seventh passage, it’s generally a very bad idea to jump back to passage #2 and try to recall the details of it. Your goal should be to go through VR once and finish with ~60 seconds left.

Only mark a question in VR if:
—It’s simply-worded.
—You can narrow it down to 2 answer choices beforehand.
—And you think you will remember enough of the passage to return to it and still answer questions.

Furthermore, use every second you have in each section. NEVER finish a section if there are some answers you’re unsure about. If you have even a minute left, go back to those questions and think about them. Maybe something will pop into your head. One more correct answer can make the difference between a 10 and an 11.

=11. Use Your Scratch Paper=

The MCAT rules allow you to scribble notes on your scratch paper during the tutorial and examinee agreement. Each of these allows you 10 minutes, but takes about 1. That gives you a good 18 minutes or so to scribble on your scratch paper before the first section: PS.

Over my two months of study, I developed a pool of 22 equations that I would write on scratch paper before every test. These were simple equations which I had a tendency to forget when they came up in the middle of full-length exams. On the actual test, I ended up using five of these.

(No, I won’t tell you what my 22 equations were. Come up with your own list.)

Also, get used to writing the following series of numbers in the corner of your scratch paper: “52-44-36-28-20-12”. This is a mark of how much time you should have remaining at the end of each of the first 6 verbal passages. If I was within 1-2 minutes of these times, I considered that fine. If I was more than two minutes ahead, I would try to slow down a little, because in all likelihood I was rushing either my reading or my question answering. If I was more than two minutes behind, I would start reading faster to get back in line. Notice this allows you ~8 minutes to finish each passage. Also note, it allows four minutes of leeway in case you get stuck on a very hard passage or have to read something over again.

=12. Set Aside A Quiet Place=

Okay, this sounds pretty obvious, but you’d be amazed how many don’t do it!

For paper materials: find a nice, clean desk you can use and push it up against a wall so whenever you look up, there is nothing interesting to see. Keep the desk clear except for your timer and whatever books and papers you are using at the moment.

For computerized tests: clear off the area around your computer so you have nothing but a mouse, your scratch paper, and computer screen. A keyboard is allowable, but since the removal of the WS section, completely unnecessary.

For both: Use your earplugs. Get used to them. Have your candy/coffee/energy drink nearby and only reach for it during scheduled breaks. Turn off your phone and put it in another room. Don’t check email/Facebook/Twitter/etc until you are ready to take your lunch break.

Short Story: I bombed one of my AAMC tests (#9). The reason? I forgot to mute my phone and had a family member call near the end of PS. I had to answer—I couldn’t just let it ring and pretend I was not home. I was stuck on the phone for several minutes. While I still answered every single question, the distraction was enough to drop my score SIX points from my previous AAMC. :scared: Seeing such a drop made me want to give up, but I told myself it was a fluke and scored much better on the next test.

=13. If You Can Find The Old “R” Tests, Use Them First=

The “R” version of the MCAT is an older version, from the early 1990’s. I’m not exactly clear on the details surrounding it, or when it was replaced with the current exam, but I can tell you that it covers all the same topics as the current MCAT. The only significant difference is the “R” test is longer. The following mini-chart compares the distribution of questions:

.......Current…..“R”
PS…..52………..77
VR…..40……….65
BS…..52……….77
Tot…144……...219

Simple math (219/144) shows that the “R” versions of the MCAT are 1.5 times as long as the current version. So each “R” test is like doing one and a half MCATs. I’m not sure how to time these exactly, so I did them without timing them, going at a normal pace. They took 4+ hours each (after breaks), which seemed about right.

If you can find AAMC #1, it is an “R” test. I don’t know about #2, as I never found a copy. Also, some old prep books have the longer tests. If you can find any “R” tests, do them first. They will help you build up stamina and test you on 50% more content simultaneously.

Finally, some books with “R” tests either don’t have a scoring scale, or have one that is bizarrely out of proportion. I created a scale which seems more accurate to me. This scale gave me a 30 on AAMC #1, which was bracketed by 32s on AAMC #3 and #4 (and each section was plus or minus 1) so I’d call it a decent estimation.

………......PS/BS…..VR
15………..76-77……65
14………..73-75……63-64
13………..70-72……60-62
12………..67-69……57-59
11………..64-66……54-57
10………..59-63……49-53
9…………55-58……44-48
8…………50-54……39-43
7…………46-49……34-38
6…………40-45……29-33
5…………33-39……23-28
1-4……….less………less

The method for creating this chart took a while, but basically involved taking all the scaled-score data from e-mcat.com, averaging the charts there, turning that into a ‘percent correct’ chart, and then turning those percentages into a # out of 77 or 65 correct.

I present it here so you don’t have to go through all the work. I only hope you can find some “R” tests to use it on. :xf:

=14. Pick Your Studying Time Carefully=

And by “time”, I mean “time of year”.

There are three times of year you can reasonably study for the MCAT:
—Christmas break.
—Summer break.
—Any term you are taking no classes.

Now, it has been said on this board innumerable times, but I feel I must repeat it here… Study at a time when you have no other commitments. No job. No research. No classes. I know it is hard to put your entire life aside to prepare for a single test, but that is what is required to get all you can out of your study time.

I could only manage 2 months over Christmas break (starting the day I had my last final of fall term, and running two weeks into classes during winter term). I wish I could have done it the previous summer, but I had to take a condensed chemistry course to complete my BS degree.

I know some of you work. I know some of you have families. You might be able to do your MCAT studying at night. Or do 2-hour quizzes instead of 3.

You could always review flashcards when you have a few minutes alone. Or read through your workbook if you take public transit.

If you have significant family or work obligations which you absolutely cannot escape. I must say that the 2-month plan is probably not for you. Sorry. You should give yourself more time. I would suggest using the same strategy of quizzing, testing, and careful analysis… but over a longer period. 3 months, or 4 months maybe. Whatever it takes for you to be comfortable with the material.

=15. Finish All Your Prereqs=

I cannot stress this one hard enough.

Occasionally I will see posts here (or elsewhere) asking “do I have to take Ochem before the MCAT?” :bang:

I always want to answer with something snarky along the lines of “Only if you want to score higher than the 20th percentile in BS.”

But seriously. The MCAT tests on four subjects in science: Physics, GenChem, OChem, and Biology. You absolutely NEED to take the basic prereqs to do well on the MCAT.

I would even suggest more courses. Mammal Physiology, Intro to Biochem, and Human Genetics (aka Clinical Genetics) were the most beneficial to me. But then, I am a biology major, so people of other majors may have other opinions.

I’ve also heard that Calculus-Based Physics and Physical Chemistry (or Analytical Chemistry) can be extremely beneficial for the PS section (if you can survive them—I didn’t take any of them). As for Ochem, I led an Ochem workshop for a year, which was extremely helpful with refreshing all those finicky reactions.

In short, take your prereqs. Pay attention. And study hard in each of them—you never know what insignificant piece of knowledge will come up on the MCAT.

=16. Read The 30+ Thread Here On SDN=

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250

That’s the link to the thread. Read it; it contains words of advice from others who slew this minotaur of a test.

To elaborate, this was actually the very first thing I did in preparing for the MCAT. I read every single post—yes all 1200+!. Everything I found helpful or inspirational was scribbled in my workbook, on the very last page. Over time, I added and removed ideas. What remains are the points you are reading here.

=17. Get A Good Night Of Sleep=

Every single night.

Nothing is worse than trying to think about total internal reflection and the molecular causes of Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome on 4 hours of sleep. Heck, it’s hard enough with a full night of sleep behind you.

While engaged in the Spinach Method, you should try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up only when you feel rested and ready to start the day.

Furthermore, I believe that sleep deprivation is most detrimental to VR—the section which people generally have the hardest time with. Sleep deprivation wrecks the mind’s ability to focus and work on detail-oriented tasks. The most detail-oriented section of the MCAT is VR!

If you suffer from insomnia, don’t schedule yourself for a morning test!

If you aren’t convinced that a good night of sleep is important, read this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_sleep_deprivation_on_cognitive_performance

=18. Don’t Be Afraid To Cancel If You’re Not Ready=

You should set a realistic “goal” score, based on your GPA, ECs, and which schools you hope to get into. Are you alright with DO? Or is Harvard the only school for you? All of these things will effect your goal score.

I can’t tell you what your goal should be, but the lower your GPA and ECs, the higher your goal should be. Look at the MSAR to figure out which schools admit applicants with stats near yours.

When you look at the schedule below, you will see that every Friday you will be doing an AAMC test. These are spaced out regularly so you can use them to assess how well you are advancing in your studies.

You will also notice #3 is the very first test you will take. Many advise against this, but I think it is a great idea because it allows you to assess where you stand before you truly start studying. Thus, it allows you to track your advances more carefully. Also, AAMC #11 is the very last test you will take, completing your preparation and giving the best possible prediction of what your actual MCAT score will be.

If you get within a few weeks of test day and are still nowhere near your goal, you must realize that massive gains on test day are exceedingly rare. Most people are within 1 on each individual section (plus or minus). Getting +2 on a section over your last practice test is a fluke.

So if you get near test day (say, when you take AAMC #9 according to the schedule below), and find your score is far below your goal, you have 4 options:
—Change your goal.
—Change your test date.
—Take the test anyway and pray.
—Take the test anyway and immediately void.

My suggestion is to delay your test date. It allows you the chance to work on your weaknesses and bring your score up towards your goal. Also, you would have saved AAMC #10 and #11 for later use.

=19. Know Everything=

This is in reference to PS and BS specifically.

There are some subjects which appear more frequently on the MCAT, and some which appear less frequently. For examples, let’s say… radioactivity appears on most tests in one way or another, while capacitors can appear, but less frequently. (Once you’ve done all the AAMC tests, you will get a feel for what is more frequent.)

That does not mean you need to know about radioactivity, but can ignore capacitors. No. You must know everything that might show up on the test. That’s how to do well in the sciences. You must know how to calculate the capacitance of parallel and series capacitors. You must know what variables affect the capacitance of a capacitor. You don’t need to know these things because it will be on the test, but because it might be on the test.

Realize that at the very top scores (11+), raising your score 1 point can mean as little as 1-2 questions. So the fact that you know how to find the overall capacitance of a series of capacitors might make that difference!
:prof:
If you can’t know everything, you need to do your absolute best to know as much as possible

=20. Don’t Get Burned Out=

I feel like I’m repeating myself here, but I think this is the second most important thing on this list (behind only #1, The Overall Idea).

:beat:

Seriously, this is a problem I think most people face during their MCAT preparation. The constant days of questions and questions and tests after tests wears on people. Regardless of what some gunners say, it is mentally exhausting.

That’s why my schedule allows for a Free Day on every Sunday. If you are feeling over-taxed, relax. Do nothing MCAT-related. This conflicts directly with #6 on my list, but if you feel absolutely drained, then just relax. I made some suggestions in #7, which gives a few things you can do during rest days.

But, if none of those work for you, do whatever.

I am not going to yell at you for not following the schedule. I’m providing the schedule to you. I’m not demanding you follow it to the word.

Short Story: Even I took a few unscheduled days off. That’s what happens when you do your test prep over Christmas break. I had family meetings to attend… and classes started two weeks before my test day. So, for a couple of those days, I accomplished nothing MCAT-related.

Regardless of the couple days I took off, I still raised my score 10 points in 2 months. I would suggest you stick closer to the schedule, but it’s all up to your dedication and how much you want to succeed.

So take the minotaur by the horns and kick its ass!

That’s all for now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
It may take some time away from your MCAT studying, but at least they're subjects that are tested on the MCAT! You could maybe try to fit the class work into your MCAT schedule somehow. I am currently taking Physics II while studying for the MCAT, and also doing quite a bit of volunteer work. It can be done but you need to be smart about planning your schedule I've found.

Yeah I thought that as well. At least its something that is covered and in all actuality i am pretty scared of those courses so maybe the extra reinforcement will help me. I will also be volunteering a bit. Planning your time in a smart and efficient way is definitely the way to go. Like i said before Quality not Quantity (at least for studying efficiency).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was only interested in his PS review. Nothing he has posted is revolutionary or new. Congrats on his score regardless.

Quit hating. His method worked for him and he is going out of his way to help others out. What have you contributed to this thread? He has an MCAT score that I know you'd trade your left nut for and very extremely few people get. So quit nit-picking on irrelevant bs, if you think his method sucks you can always leave and not come back. While you're at it, you should get off your high horse, especially since you even HAVEN'T taken the MCAT yet lol.

I look forward to your very own strategy thread/post after you score 40+ in March like Spinach Dip did.

Sisko ended up with a 38 (15, 10, 13), so he can get right back up on that high horse for all I care.

Well so much for the PS and BS.

Sorry, but a protracted bout of illness, combined with graduate studies, have contrived to take up all of my time.

I will come back to complete these sections. But it won't be for a while, still. Sorry.

Sorry, but a protracted bout of illness, combined with graduate studies, have contrived to take up all of my time.

I will come back to complete these sections. But it won't be for a while, still. Sorry.
Did you already write them and will edit later, or will you write a complete guide months after studying for months?

Memory might be faulty at this point?

It used to be that there were so many of these threads where someone who did well on the MCAT gave their full disclosure of their techniques and approach. If you look at any of them, then you realize the secret is nothing more than hard work. Don't take shortcuts and thoroughly go over every passage and question, whether you got it right or wrong.

A few tips I'd suggest.

1) Use materials that have passages rather than stand alone questions.

2) Learn how things work. Whether it's an exeriment or some device, they ask questions about how they work.

3) Try CBT FLs from at least three different sources.

4) Materials do matter! For some geniuses (not me), they can use anything. For me, it was important that the books thoroughly explained their answers. There are plenty of good sources out there, but the sequence you use them in can make a big difference. I found BR to be the best at explaning concepts and their test strategies are pure gold (best of anyone by a mile), so I used BR as my primary source. Once I had completed all of the BR books and passages, then I tried other sources. This really helped me to solidify my knowledge and strategies, because the style of the questions felt different in EK and PR. Having a strong foundation at that point in my studies helped me overcome any shortcomings in their answer explanations (and for those of you who've seen how short most of EK's answer explanations are, you know what I'm talking about.) Had I used EK first, I would have not understood many of their questions after reviewing the explanations. I would have also missed out on many tricks and basic concepts that I got from using BR first. By using EK second, I went through them quickly and got much more out of them. I strongly recommend using two sources for each science; one for primary review and strategy building and the other for rapid quizing.

I found the following mix to be extremely helpful

Physics: Review using BR; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using PR/EK

Gen chem: Review using BR; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using PR

Bio: Review using EK; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using PR/EK

Orgo: Review using BR; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using EK

Verbal: Practice using EK and PR workbook

Having a strong biology background, EK for review works. For weak to medium areas, BR is the best way to go. It may be tiresome at times, but it's worth it in the long run. Don't take shortcuts. Thoroughly review every answer explanation.

Last edited:
It used to be that there were so many of these threads where someone who did well on the MCAT gave their full disclosure of their techniques and approach. If you look at any of them, then you realize the secret is nothing more than hard work. Don't take shortcuts and thoroughly go over every passage and question, whether you got it right or wrong.

A few tips I'd suggest.

1) Use materials that have passages rather than stand alone questions.

2) Learn how things work. Whether it's an exeriment or some device, they ask questions about how they work.

4) Materials do matter! For some geniuses (not me), they can use anything. For me, it was important that the books thoroughly explained their answers. There are plenty of good sources out there, but the sequence you use them in can make a big difference. I found BR to be the best at explaning concepts and their test strategies are pure gold (best of anyone by a mile), so I used BR as my primary source. Once I had completed all of the BR books and passages, then I tried other sources. This really helped me to solidify my knowledge and strategies, because the style of the questions felt different in EK and PR. Having a strong foundation at that point in my studies helped me overcome any shortcomings in their answer explanations (and for those of you who've seen how short most of EK's answer explanations are, you know what I'm talking about.) Had I used EK first, I would have not understood many of their questions after reviewing the explanations. I would have also missed out on many tricks and basic concepts that I got from using BR first. By using EK second, I went through them quickly and got much more out of them. I strongly recommend using two sources for each science; one for primary review and strategy building and the other for rapid quizing.

I found the following mix to be extremely helpful

Physics: Review using BR; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using PR/EK

Gen chem: Review using BR; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using PR

Bio: Review using EK; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using PR/EK

Orgo: Review using BR; Practice using BR passages; Last minute Quizzing using EK

Verbal: Practice using EK and PR workbook

Having a strong biology background, EK for review works. For weak to medium areas, BR is the best way to go. It may be tiresome at times, but it's worth it in the long run. Don't take shortcuts. Thoroughly review every answer explanation.

if one has time to do all of this, no one should be barred from getting a 40 :thumbup:
i believe time is a great limiting factor for many people taking the MCAT and learning how to stay focused for 3-4 months at a time is the hardest part while balancing all of your other needs (social, physical and mental health etc) is part of the game...MCAT prep is essentially just prep for medical school courseload not in the sense of the material, but in the sense of the organization, stamina, and focus needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey spinach,

How did you alternate between your quizzing materials? Did you switch between TPRH science workbook and TBR randomly? Or did you go through all of your quizzing material looking for passages based on topics that you had difficulty on and then choose those passages to quiz yourself.

Also you mentioned a notebook which had copies of entire passages and questions you got incorrectly. How did you review this everyday? Did you just re-read the passage in your notebook and re-read your explanations for why you got specific questions wrong? I imagine you must have had a comprehensive list of a ton of passages. To review this everyday would be extremely time consuming along with re-writing entire passages into your notebook all the time. What can you tell me about how much time you spent doing this specifically. I could spend anywhere from 3-4 hrs just reviewing my notebook and flashcards everyday. Am I being too meticulous and/or choosing too many passages?

Lastly, how many hours would you spend everyday studying? I'm trying to stay motivated everyday and clock in atleast 5 solid hours but what ends up happening is I sit there for 5 hrs (10 min breaks included every hour) and I probably achieve 2-3 real hours of productive work. It's very easy for me to waste time when reviewing quizzes/making flashcards/content review.

Also I know you have a low opinion of content review but how do you feel about this strategy:

Before taking any practice test going through the AAMC topic outlines for each section and making a flash card for each topic/subsection. Wouldn't this greatly minimize the flash cards you would later make during your practice tests? I'm really nervous to jump right into practice tests and spend my time trying to answer questions that I know I can't since I'd be lacking content knowledge. At least if I did content review first, I'd know that I can't answer questions because my technique/approach and not because of my lack of knowledge.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I take issue regarding your comment about Ritalin. First, let me say I don't condone the use of any prescribed drug without a prescription and consultation from a doctor.

Your argument was to not take Ritalin, yet you then mention taking caffeine, candy, or energy drinks to augment concentration. Are these not just other chemicals used for the same purpose? What makes them different than Ritalin? I find this ironic.

Good post though.

I think its safe to say that he meant it in the same regard you just said. That if you don't have a prescription it is illegal for you to take the drug. However caffeine, candy, energy drinks, etc are legal.

I take issue regarding your comment about Ritalin. First, let me say I don't condone the use of any prescribed drug without a prescription and consultation from a doctor.

Your argument was to not take Ritalin, yet you then mention taking caffeine, candy, or energy drinks to augment concentration. Are these not just other chemicals used for the same purpose? What makes them different than Ritalin? I find this ironic.

Good post though.

Same end, different paths. One path involves taking prescription drugs that you don't need because you don't have a prescription for them.... some people consider that cheating.

On the other hand, coffee, candy, etc. can all be obtained and used by any test taker. The ultra-short summary of this point is: Don't cheat, even if there is no chance of getting caught.

See: "steroids in baseball" if you want another reasonably good example of what I mean.

I will get back to the other questions (especially yours, johny1) later tonight.

Same end, different paths. One path involves taking prescription drugs that you don't need because you don't have a prescription for them.... some people consider that cheating.

On the other hand, coffee, candy, etc. can all be obtained and used by any test taker. The ultra-short summary of this point is: Don't cheat, even if there is no chance of getting caught.

See: "steroids in baseball" if you want another reasonably good example of what I mean.

I will get back to the other questions (especially yours, johny1) later tonight.

I've heard methamphetamine can bump your VR score up a good two points. Is this true? Have you tried it, SpinachDip? Would this help? Would you recommend it?

Retaking at end of August. Already took all of the AAMC FL's. What are the top 3 sources for tests I should use to do your schedule.

i believe time is a great limiting factor for many people taking the MCAT and learning how to stay focused for 3-4 months at a time is the hardest part while balancing all of your other needs (social, physical and mental health etc) is part of the game...MCAT prep is essentially just prep for medical school courseload not in the sense of the material, but in the sense of the organization, stamina, and focus needed.

Excellent point! Interestingly, I had a friend who approached the MCAT by alienating herself from everyone and everything--just buckling down, you wouldn't have known she existed for a few months. Once in medical school she kept the same approach and I basically never heard from her again, even when major life milestones passed. Makes me think about starting the balancing act now, before it gets even harder in medical school, and ultimately with the profession.

Wow. Very helpful. Thanks for spending the time to compile this! My verbal scores since using your verbal agenda (my sciences are 12-14, so I'm really focusing on Verbal) --> 7, 7, 9, 10. :D. If I get a 10 on verbal come test day, it's all over. Again, thanks so much!

Hello! Thank you for your advice! I have one question. When you were looking for the full-length tests by AAMC did you find those in the library as well or online?

To the OP, I was wondering if you could please explain in detail the difference between the "General" and "Question by question" review?

For instance, in the general review, do you just basically know how many you got wrong and what major concepts you need to work on in your workbook?
Thanks.

The Spinach Method

=11. Use Your Scratch Paper=

The MCAT rules allow you to scribble notes on your scratch paper during the tutorial and examinee agreement. Each of these allows you 10 minutes, but takes about 1. That gives you a good 18 minutes or so to scribble on your scratch paper before the first section: PS.

Over my two months of study, I developed a pool of 22 equations that I would write on scratch paper before every test. These were simple equations which I had a tendency to forget when they came up in the middle of full-length exams. On the actual test, I ended up using five of these.

That’s all for this post.​

Great post, Thanks!​

I've heard methamphetamine can bump your VR score up a good two points. Is this true? Have you tried it, SpinachDip? Would this help? Would you recommend it?

Actually it's 3

DMT however boosts your scores up 5 points

Unless you're asian then it drops it by 2

Gaaaaah when are the PS and BS sections coming out?!?!?! Also Spinach if you could please incorporate how BS has changed or if we should really be as frightened as we are..... Cuz I know alot of us were looking forward to BS being our highest score and then with all this doubt floating around its like its the new verbal, so if you could give us some reassurance that would be awesome as well as detailed info on what it was like and how to prepare.

Hello everyone.

I know I have not updated this thread in some time, but I have been extremely busy. (lame excuse, I know...)

The good news is: I have no classes this summer, so I will be working on finishing the PS and BS sections in between secondaries, as well as giving more details on the schedule.

So sorry for the delay.

Thank you for posting this thread it has helped me a lot. You mention scribbling notes on your provided scratch paper ('downloading' as my chemistry teacher called it), do they take the scratch paper away from you after each section and provide new scratch paper? Also between the 10 minute breaks if you come up with new things to jot down can you just come back to the scratch paper and jot away? I don't want to seem like I'm trying to cheat in anyway.. :scared:

AFAIK, you have to leave the scratch paper at the computer. No, they don't take it away. And you can write on it any time you want (as long as it stays at the computer!)

Wow. Very helpful. Thanks for spending the time to compile this! My verbal scores since using your verbal agenda (my sciences are 12-14, so I'm really focusing on Verbal) --> 7, 7, 9, 10. :D. If I get a 10 on verbal come test day, it's all over. Again, thanks so much!

Glad I could help!

If you don't mind, can you post your official score as soon as you get it?

(BTW, your avatar is awesome!)

Hello! Thank you for your advice! I have one question. When you were looking for the full-length tests by AAMC did you find those in the library as well or online?

Looked at my library. Only found #1-R.

I bought all the others online.

To the OP, I was wondering if you could please explain in detail the difference between the "General" and "Question by question" review?

For instance, in the general review, do you just basically know how many you got wrong and what major concepts you need to work on in your workbook?
Thanks.

"General" review means going over the ones you got wrong and those you marked because you were unsure about.

Question by question" review means reading the reasoning behind every single question, regardless of how well you think you know the material. (The reason is to ensure you approached the question correctly, and didn't just get lucky.)

Last edited:
[/b]

How do you guys suggest getting CBT practice tests? The three options I see are AAMC (3-11), TBR, and Gold Standard (1-10). But from what I've seen on here, Gold Standard FLs aren't very highly thought of. Is there any other way to get CBT FLs?

thank you for updating the PS section OP!!

I am using your schedule right now and I am really happy with it so far. I do so much with practice problems than content review

Good.

Because if you rushed me too much, I never would have finished the PS section which I posted just a few minutes ago.

Thank you very much spinach. I have the Mcat on 9/11 trying to finish content review, but everything is completely forgotten to me. I wonder if I'll have to postpone again, for the third time.

How do you guys suggest getting CBT practice tests? The three options I see are AAMC (3-11), TBR, and Gold Standard (1-10). But from what I've seen on here, Gold Standard FLs aren't very highly thought of. Is there any other way to get CBT FLs?

The Princeton Review has one free full length available to my knowledge. You can access it here:

http://www.princetonreview.com/medical/free-mcat-practice-test.aspx

Kaplan and TPR both make good full lengths. Just avoid Kaplan's Verbal sections and be wary of TPR's verbal. Gold Standard is great practice too, just avoid their Verbal sections as that's the source of the majority of complaints. A little known secret of mine is the Barron's MCAT has amazing practice tests as well (4 total) in their book, especially in regards to the Biology and Physical Science sections, I haven't tried their Verbal so I cannot comment on those.

Personally I prefer using the AAMC R versions since they're 1.5 times longer which is great for building mental endurance much needed for the actual MCAT. They're in pdf format though they have the same passages at the CBT versions with additional practice and questions, hence why they're longer.

A little known secret of mine is the Barron's MCAT has amazing practice tests as well (4 total) in their book, especially in regards to the Biology and Physical Science sections, I haven't tried their Verbal so I cannot comment on those.

Personally I prefer using the AAMC R versions since they're 1.5 times longer which is great for building mental endurance much needed for the actual MCAT. They're in pdf format though they have the same passages at the CBT versions with additional practice and questions, hence why they're longer.

Barron's MCAT? First time I've heard someone say anything good about it....let alone mentioned on here. Anyone else tried it before?

Hey Spinach, just a heads-up: in your third practice problem, you say the answer is C in your explanation but according to your answer choices it's D. Really excited to be reading your guide on PS, thanks for posting it!

Hey Spinach! I read your post on how you raised your MCAT score by 10 points and I find that incredible and very inspiring! Actually, extremely inspiring and motivating! Anyway, I just want some advice on what I should be doing and what you recommend I do.. (Please don't just write a one sentence reply, I want some substantial guiding words of wisdom!)

I'm going to be a junior in college and my cum GPA is a 3.7. I'm not sure whether to take the MCAT in May or June, but I will take it in either of those two months in case I must retake it in August. I MUST take the exam before 2015 before they add the Biochem, Sociology and Psych sections -- otherwise I will have to prepare much much longer for those sections when no one else has taken them before. Anyway, my point is that I have roughly 10-11 months before I take my MCAT and I'm unsure as to how to go about my time management. My current MCAT scores are very low since I have JUST taken my very first MCAT and scored a 20 (which is absolutely horrible). I want to push that up gradually to reach my next goal of 30 and my ultimate goal of 38 (I'd love a 40, but I'm trying to be reasonable with myself...). What do you recommend I do with my time? Do you recommend taking Kaplan or Princeton Review?

What medical school did you end up going to with that amazing score of 40? How did you manage your test taking nerves/anxiety?

Anyway, I really really want to become a physician, I have a lot of clinical experience, I will be doing research soon, and a good GPA -- it's just my MCAT that is bringing me down badly. So, hit me with the words of wisdom please :D

thank you for updating the PS section OP!!

I am using your schedule right now and I am really happy with it so far. I do so much with practice problems than content review

Glad I could help!

Thank you very much spinach. I have the Mcat on 9/11 trying to finish content review, but everything is completely forgotten to me. I wonder if I'll have to postpone again, for the third time.

Have you taken any practice tests? How have you scored?

Perhaps you should put the content review down for a moment and just take a practice test to see where you stand.

Hey Spinach, just a heads-up: ______. Really excited to be reading your guide on PS, thanks for posting it!

Fixed it. And you're welcome!

great post man, really helped. when will the BS section be up? i need orgo help!

Don't know exactly. Sorry.

Ochem is a tough subject, but if you focus on your weaknesses, you should be able to make a good improvement.

Hey Spinach! I read your post on how you raised your MCAT score by 10 points and I find that incredible and very inspiring! Actually, extremely inspiring and motivating! Anyway, I just want some advice on what I should be doing and what you recommend I do.. (Please don't just write a one sentence reply, I want some substantial guiding words of wisdom!)

I'm glad I can be an inspiration.:D

But asking for "substantial guiding words of wisdom"? :confused: Isn't that what the first 5 posts are?

I'm going to be a junior in college and my cum GPA is a 3.7. I'm not sure whether to take the MCAT in May or June, but I will take it in either of those two months in case I must retake it in August. I MUST take the exam before 2015 before they add the Biochem, Sociology and Psych sections -- otherwise I will have to prepare much much longer for those sections when no one else has taken them before.

I understand completely that you don't want to take the 2015 MCAT. I would avoid it like the plague.

An when does spring term end for you? I would suggest really buckling down after spring for about 2-3 months and taking the MCAT then.

Anyway, my point is that I have roughly 10-11 months before I take my MCAT and I'm unsure as to how to go about my time management. My current MCAT scores are very low since I have JUST taken my very first MCAT and scored a 20 (which is absolutely horrible). I want to push that up gradually to reach my next goal of 30 and my ultimate goal of 38 (I'd love a 40, but I'm trying to be reasonable with myself...). What do you recommend I do with my time? Do you recommend taking Kaplan or Princeton Review?

Well, the only problem with starting too early is that you risk burnout, which can only be bad. So don't do anything extreme like take practice tests every day for 6 months. :scared:

Have you taken all the pre-reqs? If not, finishing them is the most important thing you can do. If you have, this is my suggestion: Take more advanced classes. Things like Clinical Genetics, Animal Physiology, Quantitative Analysis, another Ochem class, or something involving physics. If you are already performing well in any of the 4 science subjects, see if you can be a tutor in that subject. Your school probably has a tutoring office you can apply to.

I didn't take an MCAT class, but you can if you feel it would help. I've heard Kaplan is good, as they have a massive question bank that you can surf through to solidify your mastery of the sciences (VR is a little more difficult, but see my VR post for thoughts on that.)

For VR: Pick up Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It is a long book, but you have plenty of time to finish it. Try to focus on the subtleties of British culture and language that the author is commenting on/making a mockery of. Work on the mindset you should maintain during VR--that of analysis of the author's thesis.

Perhaps you could do some review over Christmas break. Treat it as a preparation time. Don't over-work yourself.

What medical school did you end up going to with that amazing score of 40?

I have not been accepted yet, but I did apply to some of the top10 medical schools in NA. As soon as I am accepted, I will let everyone know how an amazing MCAT score can help them get into the best schools there are.

How did you manage your test taking nerves/anxiety?

1. I've always had low anxiety.

2. That's why it's important to simulate testing conditions whenever you take a practice test. Pretend AAMC #5 is the real thing, and this test is what determines if you get into your dream school or not. Take your full time on every section and take exactly 10 minutes break between each section.

If you do all this, then the test day should not be anything new. It will just be a repeat of the procedure you've gone through 10+ times already. The only difference is that this one takes place at someone else's computer.

Anyway, I really really want to become a physician, I have a lot of clinical experience, I will be doing research soon, and a good GPA -- it's just my MCAT that is bringing me down badly. So, hit me with the words of wisdom please :D

Words of wisdom have been projected in your general direction.

Alright, thank you Spinach! I'm so glad to have found this post of yours... I will always look back to it as reference and for motivation. I'll also keep you posted on any improvements I make so I can be living proof that your technique works! So far, I've improved my score to a 23!! :)

Hey Spinach Dip,

So I'm sure you're probably well past the MCAT but I was hoping to get a tip of advice from you. So I've been well into SN2ed's study plan about 2/3 done with the whole schedule, and completely done with content review. I took AAMC 3 today and I completely got screwed with a 24/45. My exam is in roughly 30 days, and even if I wanted to push back I couldn't until January.

I really don't know what went wrong, as I usually do pretty well at least a solid 10 on my sections in TBR (doing separate practice passages that follow each chapter). I guess I haven't been studying properly or the right way, but any advice on what to do? My goal is a 33, and to be honest I feel like I second guessed myself a lot on AAMC 3. Should I push back till January, or triumph for the kill with what seems like a foolishly unreasonable amount of time left.