How likely is it for one to meet their S/O in med school or residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lantx

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Procrastinating doing my work. Anyway I would love to hear any anecdotes

Members don't see this ad.

Procrastinating doing my work. Anyway I would love to hear any anecdotes

No. You should be focused on medicine.

Here's an inspiring quote from Dr. Michael DeBakey:

Dr. DeBakey said:
I AM THE MAN FROM THE OR. I AM THE SENTIENT THEORY WHO HURTLES ABOVE YOUR HOUSE GRIEVING THE DEATH OF MY PATIENTS. DO YOU WANT TO BE LIKE ME? DO YOU WANT TO BE DEVOURED BY THE GREAT EMPTINESS? I WILL TELL YOU HOW. COME CLOSE AND I WILL WHISPER MY SECRETS.

MASTER MEDICINE IN ALL ITS APPLICATIONS. NEVER SLEEP. WITHDRAW FROM FRIENDSHIP AND RENOUNCE GOD AS MYTH. NO DATING. HOBBIES ARE UNFORGIVABLE. HUMILIATE YOUR COLLEAGUES WITH INDOMITABLE INTELLECT. NEVER SLEEP.

FORMULATE EXCEPTIONAL HYPOTHESES. PRODUCE IDEAS OF GREAT IMPORTANCE. ABSTAIN FROM ALL BUT YOUR WORK. SUBSIST ON A HIGH-PROTEIN DIET. DISMISS LOVE AND FAMILY AS INESSENTIAL. SURRENDER YOUR MORTAL VESSEL TO THE HORRIBLE PURGATORY OF THE OPERATING ROOM.

DO THESE THINGS AND YOU WILL BE LIKE ME, MICHAEL DEBAKEY. I AM THE SURGEON PRINCE WHO MOURNS IN THE OR. O MED STUDENT, JOIN ME IN THIS DARK BRUTAL DESERT. BE SWALLOWED BY THE TURBULENT VOID. I AM LOOKING AT YOU FROM ABOVE.

JOIN ME

Original Reference: ;) http://www.clickhole.com/article/stephen-hawkings-message-little-girl-who-wants-be--2442

Reactions: 3 users
Rather high if you are a male going into gynecology or a female going into urology.

All others are out of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No one gets married for 'love' anymore people just settle.

Reactions: 5 users
FWIW, it's a 50/50 split on doctors that are fresh out of residency that I've worked with as a scribe. Two are married (with kids), one has a significant other but is not engaged, and the other is single. Otherwise, all but one doctor that I've worked are married. But, TIME suggest that 25% of millennials will not marry. Here's a graph to make you even more discouraged.

Met my current significant other while in med school. He isn't a med student, though. I gave the online dating thing a shot, and it worked out surprisingly well.

Are you going to be a med school creeper....?

Depends on how much game you have. Judging by the fact you have to ask this question, I would recommend the first thing you say to a female you meet is that you're in med school or that you're going be a doc.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on how much game you have. Judging by the fact you have to ask this question, I would recommend the first thing you say to a female you meet is that you're in med school or that you're going be a doc.

Lol that's not game. That's desperation.

exactly why I recommended to mention being a dr or future dr. The creation of this thread is an act of desperation (sorry op).

Maybe shift the angle to how much time do you guys think one has to date new people in med school?

Finding is a significant other is a bit arbitrary. And depends on who you ask. For that you will have to just wait and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Op is female

Females need game/"swag"'whatever you wanna call it too.

I'm going to guess the op has only had a couple relationships and they were serious/long term. So was it your high school boyfriend just recently broke up with?

Wtf? No I was just wondering how common it is for and how often it occurs. I was bored

I've been single for over a year now

Is your face busted up? Are you obese? Are you extremely clingy and prone to violent fits of jealousy often resulting in physical assault? If not, I'm sure you can meet someone. What is a significant other? Is that like a several year prison term? I have had a few longer term boyfriends but I'm definitely not looking for a ring in med school. I want a few spawn eventually but I like to play it by ear.

Wtf? No I was just wondering how common it is for and how often it occurs. I was bored

I've been single for over a year now

It's ok I didn't mean it in a bad way. But you have only had a long term relationship or 2. Am I wrong?

It's ok I didn't mean it in a bad way. But you have only had a long term relationship or 2. Am I wrong?

2. I'm just curious because someone told me around 10 people in his med school got married so I wondering how common that was

Sorry OP med school with residency is only 7+ years; that is not enough time to meet an SO.

Met my current significant other while in med school. He isn't a med student, though. I gave the online dating thing a shot, and it worked out surprisingly well.

This here. Psychiatry clerkship gives you plenty of time to play the field doing online dating.

I don't know about med school, but if shows like ER, Scrubs, and Grey's Anatomy are accurate, you'll at least be having plenty of sex during residency. :love:

I go to school in the south, and my classmates are getting married left and right. Sometimes to each other, sometimes not.

I met my (non-medical) wife on a required community service project that my med school sent me on. I don't know if they expected me to get that involved with the community, but I've always been a high achiever.

Reactions: 4 users
Why so desperate? Enjoy single life. there will be a day where you aren't single and you are stuck with them for a long time.

We have 4 couples in our class... - statistically so far people who are married going into med school - doesn't have a great chance coming out together... At least from what I've seen.

Is your face busted up? Are you obese? Are you extremely clingy and prone to violent fits of jealousy often resulting in physical assault? If not, I'm sure you can meet someone. What is a significant other? Is that like a several year prison term? I have had a few longer term boyfriends but I'm definitely not looking for a ring in med school. I want a few spawn eventually but I like to play it by ear.

Oh my god. Did you call your future children " a few spawn". What the....

This guy is obviously Brad Pitt, and Lord of Women.

I feel that medical school is my last chance to find a S/O. Let's hope it works out ;)

Reactions: 1 users
It's fairly common. I know of four couples that got together during med school. I think my parents would be happy if I married a doctor. I'm holding out for a pretty astronaut.

Two classmates who didn't know each other prior to medical school got married about a month ago. Another couple in the same position is now engaged. There may be one or two other situations that I'm forgetting but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. And keep in mind that that's for a pretty small class (88 people).

i thought that being single was bad and then got into a relationship which was even ****tier than being single and now im single again and it feels pretty amazing
when you spend all day being in places other people tell you to be, doing things other people tell you to do, it's nice to not have someone at home doing the exact same thing

Two classmates who didn't know each other prior to medical school got married about a month ago. Another couple in the same position is now engaged. There may be one or two other situations that I'm forgetting but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. And keep in mind that that's for a pretty small class (88 people).

You think this is because at this point, people are realizing that they are getting older and they just decide to settle with another doctor?

You think this is because at this point, people are realizing that they are getting older and they just decide to settle with another doctor?

No, I don't think that's it at all. A few of my classmates got engaged/married to non-medical students. I would say that the majority of them are still single.

nah my standards are just too high

I think I've gotten pickier as time has gone along. A SO, depending on their personality, makes a lot of demands on your life decisions. Might be kinda selfish, but I don't want that to be a factor in deciding where to go to medical school