How much shadowing for MD?

Started by NP545
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

N

NP545

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many shadowing hours should I target if I want to apply to MD schools?

I'm probably going to have ~50 hours with 3 different specialties.
But I know many people who are shadowing one doctor for 10 hours/week for 3 months.
My 50 will look minimal compared to their 150+ hours. How many more hours should I aim to do?

Ideally, what is a good amount of hours+specialties to shadow for MDs?
 
50 is a good start.

If you can get more that would be great, but it's probably not needed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
50 seems like a reasonable goal, as echoed by other posters. If I can get more, great, but my main goal is to shadow a variety of specialties with at least one primary care field (ideally pediatrics, but IM, FM or OBGYN are fine). So far I have 12 hours in 3 specialties: 6.5 ER, 3 cardio, 2.5 rheum.