I’m kind of in a weird situation and would appreciate any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kbkilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a DO student and took my step I COMLEX about a month ago (haven’t received my score yet). I was unsure about taking the USMLE so didn’t end up taking it, but I’m now seriously considering it. Basically the rotation my school set me up with gives me a boat load of free time and I think my next rotation won’t be all that time consuming.

As a caveat, I haven’t studied for a month and I only did COMLEX qbanks (about 3500 questions).

I’m planning on going through pathoma/FA this week and taking an NBME afterwards to decide if taking the USMLE is even worthwhile. Realistically I’d be happy with anything above a 220, and I figure if I score 200+ on a practice exam I could bump that score up in 6 weeks with a good study plan.

I realize not having seen USMLE style questions is going to be a huge disadvantage, but does this seem like a reasonable plan? And which NBME would you recommend taking giving these circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

Only take USMLE if you are 1) sure you can do well on it and 2) you know you are applying to a super-competitive specialty at a MD program. It will screw you over to have a good COMLEX score and a bad USMLE score, or vice versa. It would look better to just have a good COMLEX score.

Reactions: 1 user