Indicator Papers for Titrations

Started by rls303
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rls303

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I just want to clarify, what are the specific indicators we should be concerned with memorizing for the exam?

Like Litmus red turning blue when it is in a basic solution?

Do we really gotta know all of them? 🙁

Forgive me if this sounds like a trivial/stupid question, it has been ages since I've studied titrations and I just encountered a problem yesterday that involved the indicator!
 
You should know how an indicator works and that it changes color around pka+1 to pka-1. Some indicators change color twice (ie they are diprotic acids).

As for specific indicators, it would probably be worth while to learn the common ones but honestly, I believe they would give you the pKa of an indicator on the actual MCAT.