Xxx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
xxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
But isn't the point of college to challenge yourself and grow intellectually? I don't understand why so many pre-meds would take easy classes just for the grades. What about learning for the sake of learning?

But isn't the point of college to challenge yourself and grow intellectually? I don't understand why so many pre-meds would take easy classes just for the grades. What about learning for the sake of learning?
Unfortunately, high GPAs are the end all, be all for most students.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol check out this nerd

some people's goal is to get into medical school asap, probably at the expense of personal growth, sometimes due to family pressure, time constraints, and the fact that aint noone got time or $ for "learning for the sake of learning." Often, true learning doesn't occur in the classroom, but in challenges we face and overcome outside of the classroom. This is why some SOMs are moving toward competency based admissions instead of pre-req based admissions.

Reactions: 3 users
There's that old adage about college teaching you how to learn on your own time.

I think there is a distinction to be made between people asking these types of questions because they want to take easy classes for easy grades and those pre-meds wondering if they should take the ultra-hard intro physics for physics majors that already know multi-variable calculus with a professor that routinely only passes five students just to impress Adcoms.

You can link directly to a page in a pdf by adding #page=X. Here's the survey results OP mentions: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf#page=12

I'll go ahead and say it isn't really speculation that selective undergrads are valued more for being more rigorous. I can't think of any other reason to value it other than knowing the competition for limited As is more fierce as the student bodies become more qualified.

Would also note that math is a sort of exception for the AP rule, since nearly all (in fact I think all except UCLA) med schools accept AP Calc and Stats and don't require further math classes be taken in college.

Even if an adcom wanted to assess rigor, how could they possibly do so? I took two upper level neuro classes, Neurophysiology and Principles of the Nervous System, and one took 20+ hours a week while the other was maybe 20 hours of effort the entire semester. There's no way for adcoms to know that kind of thing. Definitely don't go chasing classes with a reputation for being tough to try and impress anyone - nobody will know or care!

Yes, always pick the easier one. It's common sense. Like I said in a previous thread, an easy prereq isn't going to be so easy to the point that you learn nothing, but it will be more convenient for you in earning a higher GPA. Numbers are very important in this process, and they always will be. Whether they should be is another issue.

I feel like everyone here does challenge themselves and grow intellectually just by virtue of taking prereqs, but to some extent, doing too much of this can induce burnout later. Learning for the sake of learning can be done by taking less stressful (but acceptable) versions of classes or by simply reading. There's almost nothing to really "prove" by taking more rigourous verisons.

I feel like everyone here does challenge themselves and grow intellectually just by virtue of taking prereqs, but to some extent, doing too much of this can induce burnout later. Learning for the sake of learning can be done by taking less stressful (but acceptable) versions of classes or by simply reading. There's almost nothing to really "prove" by taking more rigourous verisons.

While I do agree that you can learn from books and the Internet, it can only do so much. For example, I'm going to take real analysis next semester and I've found lectures, notes, problems, etc. on the Internet. They will definitely give me a nice start, but I can never master the subject with those alone. You need to be fully engaged and committed, with people who know the subject to help you and give you feedback. The only way to do that is by taking an actual class.

Books and the Internet can teach you the BASICS, but you only reach a certain amount of depth. You won't truly master the material.

To be honest, I think the best learning I did in college was taking a variety of interesting classes, both "hard" and "easy." Some of my sociology classes were among the best courses I took, as were upper level physics/philosophy. For me, my best grades were for classes in which I was interested--whether that was Quantum Mechanics or Race, Marriage, and Family...

@Ladynerd, definitely agreed that classes like real analysis are not something that can be learned on one's own. That was one of the reasons I chose math for my graduate area of study--it's something I want to do in my career that can't be done through self-teaching :)

For many people (especially on this site, it seems), college is just a stepping stone to medical school.

The best candidates won't just try to coast on the easier courses, and naturally challenge themselves (and do great).

For many people (especially on this site, it seems), college is just a stepping stone to medical school.

The best candidates won't just try to coast on the easier courses, and naturally challenge themselves (and do great).
In a perfect idealist world yes.

Many great students will challenge the hardest courses and get wrecked.

Many great students will challenge the hardest courses and get wrecked.
That's certainly true.

I was going to say that I can't recall having run into any while in college, but I imagine just like the dropouts that don't become successful like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, one never hears their story of failure.

Reactions: 1 user
That's certainly true.

I was going to say that I can't recall having run into any while in college, but I imagine just like the dropouts that don't become successful like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, one never hears their story of failure.
Well yeah, when you ask people what they're studying they say "psychology" not "psychology because Neuroscience was kicking my ass and I needed to protect my GPA"

Reactions: 1 user