This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seattle.brittle

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My spouse recently just matched into a competitive specialty with roughly 4-6 spots per year in the city I am doing med school in (hooray! no more LDR). I'm currently in my 2nd year of med school and deciding between two specialties, my spouses specialty being one of them. Of course I would prefer to stay in this city so we can avoid long distance, but there are really only two other institutions in the area aside from my spouses (one being an extremely small program that takes 1-2 per year). Would it be wise for me to avoid applying into the same program as my spouse if I choose the specialty they are in (I've heard this can lead to scheduling issues with the program if they have a husband-wife pair in different residency classes)? Would I even be considered at that program based on potential scheduling issues? The only reason I'm asking this question now is so I have an idea of where to target trying to build more connections asap once I decide on my desired specialty.

Even if it isn't an ideal situation, it's a place to offers it in the location you want. You apply to it.

Reactions: 1 user
My spouse recently just matched into a competitive specialty with roughly 4-6 spots per year in the city I am doing med school in (hooray! no more LDR). I'm currently in my 2nd year of med school and deciding between two specialties, my spouses specialty being one of them. Of course I would prefer to stay in this city so we can avoid long distance, but there are really only two other institutions in the area aside from my spouses (one being an extremely small program that takes 1-2 per year). Would it be wise for me to avoid applying into the same program as my spouse if I choose the specialty they are in (I've heard this can lead to scheduling issues with the program if they have a husband-wife pair in different residency classes)? Would I even be considered at that program based on potential scheduling issues? The only reason I'm asking this question now is so I have an idea of where to target trying to build more connections asap once I decide on my desired specialty.
You’re a second year med student… will your spouse still be a trainee for very long?

This is manageable by most programs. It's not really a net positive or negative.

It can be a pain in the ass if you and your spouse expect to have every vacation week together.

It also might matter depending on specialty they aren’t going to want your spouse being your supervisor in most cases