This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted870381

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I am wondering if it is feasible to do medical retina and enter a retina-only group, while still maintaining cataract surgery skills.

Where would these referrals come from? Will retina-only groups want to take on a medical retina person, or do they not add enough value because they cannot take surgical call?

Thanks for your advice.
I'm not retina so I obviously might be wrong but I would think the latter. My understanding is medical retina is a tough sell to PP as most senior retina docs prefer to transition to a more medical retina practice later in their career (pays better, less stress) and want younger partners to handle the surgical care. I can also imagine that there is also the question of referral patterns and if keeping cataracts in house would affect relationships with referring comp ophthalmologists.

Retina practices aren't equipped for cataract surgery. You need a biometer, topo, techs who BAT and refract. It's not efficient and not feasible for them to bring on a medical retina/cataract surgeon. Why would they? Retina clinic generates significant cashflow. More so than cataract surgery, and definitely more so than retina surgery. A practice is unlikely to bring someone on who would increase their overhead and decrease their average collections.

Regarding referrals, yeah, you wouldn't be anyone's favorite. Just do comp with a side of retina if you want to do both.

Members don't see this ad :)
PE groups are more likely to hire you for medical retina to handle the patient volume influx

Retina practices aren't equipped for cataract surgery. You need a biometer, topo, techs who BAT and refract. It's not efficient and not feasible for them to bring on a medical retina/cataract surgeon. Why would they? Retina clinic generates significant cashflow. More so than cataract surgery, and definitely more so than retina surgery. A practice is unlikely to bring someone on who would increase their overhead and decrease their average collections.

Regarding referrals, yeah, you wouldn't be anyone's favorite. Just do comp with a side of retina if you want to do both.
All great points. Cataract/refractive has more overhead for sure. Tough to do it in a retina only setting.

But cataract/refractive definitely can bring a ton of cashflow. I’m cat/ref and I out collect my medical retina colleagues by 1.5 to 2x every month (and I’m early in my career). It’s all so variable and tough to predict.