mentioning controversial personal experiences in application/secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

throwaway31

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, using this throwaway account for reasons that will become very obvious if you read the rest of the post.

I know a lot of secondaries will be asking a variation of the question "talk about some personal adversity you faced/how did you overcome it?" The most honest way that I could answer this question is to talk about my junior year of college, when I came out to some of my close friends as homosexual (I am a male). Going into college, I was a strict Christian, which is how I was raised by my parents. I battled with the way I was brought up and with my own feelings all throughout my freshman and sophomore year, and was convinced I would spend the rest of my life in the closet. To make a long story short, I met someone in junior year who kind of catapulted me out of the closet. However, dealing with it during my junior year, by far the busiest year I had in UG, was extremely difficult. My grades weren't the best, but still good. I realized that what I was doing just wasn't working for my health, and I made the decision to seek help through the school's mental health facility. I would obviously talk about how the experience changed me and how I became a stronger person by facing this problem head on instead of trying to push it out of my life, and the amount of self-reflection and growth it took for me to seek help from mental health services.

I wouldn't put this in my PS, for two reasons: A.) it's definitely not a main factor in why I want to be a doctor and B.) some of my family members/church members will be reading the PS and I haven't exactly made my sexuality facebook official. However, it is definitely a huge part of who I am and my own maturity. I think it would be a misrepresentation of myself to write anything other than this experience under the adversity question, which I'm sure I'll be asked about on my secondaries. However, I also know that it is a controversial issue, and that there is clear prejudice against homosexuals in some areas of the US. I believe this to be a practical and ethical dilemma, and I'd love to know what adcoms think I should do in my situation.

Thanks, throwaway31 over and out. (unless I really have to field questions, then I guess just "over")
 
It requires skill to talk about a topic like that in a personal statement without sounding forced, I think. For a question about adversity, I'd say it's a lot easier and more logical.

As for getting rejected for being gay, if a school did that, it probably isn't a school you want to spend 4 years at. It's really win-win.
 
I think coming out of the closet stories are among those that LizzyM says to avoid for the PS, but I don't know about secondary essays.

If it were me, I would use it, particularly if you consider it a major personal adversity. I know many would recommend avoiding it, just given how controversial a subject it is, but if you can handle it well, it may help you. I spoke about my religion in my secondary essays-- another topic some recommend avoiding-- and I can't say it hurt me. Just don't politicize it, and have many people read over it.