MSc vs. MPH in Epidemiology

Started by cutiepie83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cutiepie83

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here for quite a while, I've been working like a madwoman 😴 .

I have a question. What is truly the difference between MSc and MPH? I have been accepted to a very good school in Canada (very close to home) for an MSc in Epidemiology and also have received acceptances for various MPH programs in the US. I do understand that MSc is geared towards academia, but I do have the opportunity to work in a Cancer Centre (which is what I really want to do) that is associated with the school.

I guess my question is, what can you do with a MPH that you cannot do with a MSc in Epidemiology and vice versa?

P.S. Tuition in the MPH programs is more than twice the tuition I would have to pay in Canada.

P.S.S. I dont plan to get an MD..I plan on working straight from my masters and hopefully get my PhD one day

Thank you 😀
 
Much of a difference? Probably not.

I think the differences vary depending on which school's MPH you compare to which school's MSc. There may be a difference in the thesis/masters project type of thing. From what I can tell, MPHs tend to require a "masters project" which includes some sort of practical field work where the MS tends to require a thesis. Schools that only offer the MS/MSc (do most Canadian schools do this?) may gear them more like MPH programs anyway. Other than that, I really doubt there's much of a difference. As long as the program you want can teach you what you want to learn, will help you get to your next step (job, PhD, whatever), and will provide a comfortable environment for your learning and living, you're set.

I'm not aware of anything you can't do with an MSc that you can with an MPH. I thought even the more picky jobs would require "MPH or equivilent" (though don't take my word for it; I'm a perpetual student). There may be some ASPH internships you can't do from a Canadian school (duh).