D

deleted687538

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the last three years I've really wanted to be a neurosurgeon. I love neuroscience and being a neurosurgeon is a perfect fit for me (top of the class, love stress, pressure and being busy, dedicated etc.). And although my love for neuroscience hasn't diminished, I've been considering becoming a trauma surgeon as well. Any thoughts? Is there a neurosurgery specialty in trauma? I know I have a long way to go before I have to decide what I want to be, but it's never too early to have an idea.

How old are you?

For the last three years I've really wanted to be a neurosurgeon. I love neuroscience and being a neurosurgeon is a perfect fit for me (top of the class, love stress, pressure and being busy, dedicated etc.). And although my love for neuroscience hasn't diminished, I've been considering becoming a trauma surgeon as well. Any thoughts? Is there a neurosurgery specialty in trauma? I know I have a long way to go before I have to decide what I want to be, but it's never too early to have an idea.

Listen to what is telling him this(the brain)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a trauma subspecialty of neurosurgery.

You should also know that trauma surgery does relatively little trauma. Many of them do general surgery cases day to day and cover trauma cases that are emergent. Most trauma ends up being stabilized in the ED and then other specialties such as ortho, neurosurgery, CT surgery, etc come in as needed to repair things related to their fields.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, there is a trauma subspecialty of neurosurgery.

You should also know that trauma surgery does relatively little trauma. Many of them do general surgery cases day to day and cover trauma cases that are emergent. Most trauma ends up being stabilized in the ED and then other specialties such as ortho, neurosurgery, CT surgery, etc come in as needed to repair things related to their fields.
Yes unfortunately TV and movies have a failed to keep up,with the increasingly nonoperative management of blunt trauma. There's still a role for exploratory laparotomy/neck exploration in some penetrating cases but since the majority of trauma in this country is blunt, there is only so much penetrating to go around.

Trauma surgery is mostly critical care, acute general surgery and ICU procedures (Trach, PEG etc).

Assuming that you are still in high school because you posted in the high school forum, there is no reason to decide on a specialty at all for a long time. The general consensus is that you can't really know if a specialty is for you until you are in med school and get some personal experience in it. My suggestion would be to focus on your grades and getting into the university that you want. And after that your GPA, MCAT, and EC's. There is no reason to worry about a decision that is 8+ years down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming that you are still in high school because you posted in the high school forum, there is no reason to decide on a specialty at all for a long time. The general consensus is that you can't really know if a specialty is for you until you are in med school and get some personal experience in it. My suggestion would be to focus on your grades and getting into the university that you want. And after that your GPA, MCAT, and EC's. There is no reason to worry about a decision that is 8+ years down the road.

Agreed.